-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 CD Swap 6 - CLOSED

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Broken Face Posted - 03/29/2006 : 08:04:45
Serious inquiries only - the last few CD swaps have had people not sending stuff out (if you see this Yann, your last package of discs from #5 should go out tomorrow). So if we can count on you to be reliable, sign up!

Let's limit this to 12 people. And i'd be down for FTPing again if we could get a server to use (thanks again to Obfuscate by Will for letting us use it last time!).

Week 1 (Upload by April 7) - Kathryn
Week 2 (Upload by April 14) - Cult of Frank
Week 3 (Upload by April 21) - Remig
Week 4 (Upload by April 28) - Broken Face
Week 5 (Upload by May 5) - Vilainde
Week 6 (Upload by May 12) - Zub The Goat
Week 7 (Upload by May 19) - Crispy Water
Week 8 (Upload by May 26) - Llamadance
Week 9 (Upload by June 2) - Starmekitten
Week 10 (Upload by June 9) - Obfuscate By Will
Week 11 (Upload by June 16) - Cassandra Is
Week 12 (Upload by June 23) - Cheeseman1000

-Brian
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cassandra is Posted - 08/23/2006 : 03:28:31
quote:

Nothing wrong with the way you speak, you French are too self-critical! Or maybe it's just critical, je ne sais pas. :)

yeah... maybe... who knows?

quote:
All in all, a really good podcast with some bands I already knew but songs I'd not heard.

I guess it was a "classic" podcast in the way I intended it, I mean: classic songs from some of my personal classic bands... I'll try to make something less predictable next time

quote:

For example, Mustafa by Queen, really cool track that gets into my head. The background on it was much appreciated, too. It's definitely classic Queen, though.

Yeah! I knew I wasn't the only one who liked Queen on that forum! I'm glad to see you and Brian also appreciate good music when you hear it!

quote:

I really found Fantomas' Charade interesting, too. Sounds like it would've been from a Bond film in particular, but I suppose it's in the style of those 60's movies. Don't know about the screaming parts but it does give some contrast. I would probably like to heard The Director's Cut, sounds like a really interesting concept.

I guess "The Director's Cut" is a great introduction to Fantômas and to Patton's world, just like Mr Bungle's "California". I hardly recommend them.

quote:

Depeche Mode is a band I'd been meaning to hear more from for a long time. Although I lamented electronic music in my last review, I found this enjoyable since there was a strong vocal melody and it wasn't just a mess of resampling. At least I don't think so. Catchy beat.

All about Depeche Mode includes the word "strong" I guess... Dave Gahan has an incredible voice, and Martin Gore is an incredible songwriter. Masterpieces-albums like "Violator", "Ultra" or "Music For The Masses" are great introductions to them. And I hardly recommend to anyone to see them live, even if you don't know their music very well (I guess it's the best way to discover them in fact): it's just... magical, powerful, almost a religious atmosphere (I mean a sane one).

quote:

The instrumentation on this really sells me - I like the solo around the 25 minute mark of the podcast.

If you like bands like Arcade Fire, you gotta love Blonde Redhead: it's the same lyrical and emotional vibes in their music. The kind of music that is so beautiful that it makes you wanna cry. All their albums are great, but especially "Fake Can Be Just As Good" (their noisy masterpiece) "Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons" (their pop masterpiece) and Misery Is A Butterfly (their baroque masterpiece)

quote:

Now I've never heard of Shannon Wright - hallelujah - but her vocals remind me of a slightly smoother Kristin Hersh. Remind, mind you, not sound like.

I guess I know what you mean, but I don't think she's smoother than Kristin Hersh. She's a really strange, impressive, and dark person and maybe the songs I've chosen aren't perfectly reflecting it, but if you listen to albums like "Maps Of Tacit" or "Over The Sun", or -even better- if you have the chance to see her live one day, you'll see that she's a real dangerous phenomenon.

quote:

Eric's Trip cements for me that I have your tastes somewhat pegged. Or at least, I think I do.

I think too.

quote:

I did enjoy Screaming Trees though - I seem to remember APL talking about them? Don't Look Down is a lot of upbeat fun and one of my favourites from the podcast.

Glad you liked this one too.

quote:
Your song (Just Something I Can Ignore) I was looking forward to since hearing your cover of Nadine. Really cool drum sound, very professional all around, nicely done! I'll need to check out more from you. I didn't like your song with Komakino though - guess that's what happens with age - stuff gets better.

eh eh...I hope it'll get even better with my old age... thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it, especially coming from you and Brian. Like I said in the podcast, the original version of Just Something I Can Ignore was written by forumer The Holiday Son (if I don't say it again, he will beat me with a cucumber 'til I bleed next I'll see him ). And like I said above you can check out some more Octobre and Komakino tunes in the I Heard Ramona Sing section if you want. I'll be very happy to hear some more comments.

quote:

Finally, I always thought that Primus was a mainstream band since I had friends with really bad taste in music that liked them and cited them when we'd talk music, but this is a really cool and quirky song and my friends may have had more depth than I gave them credit for. Love the organ. Combined with the female vocals it sounds like a haunted circus. Actually, if I may, _this_ is my favourite track on the podcast.

I don't really agree with the mainstream thing... Primus is too much special and original to be a mainstream band IMO, I mean these guys are crazy! But what is strange with that band -and here I agree with you- is that there's a lot of people with very different musical tastes (and sometimes poor musical tastes indeed) that like this band. It's something I will never understand.

quote:

Overall, great podcast. You did a good job picking bands and songs and an even better job with all the background info. Really appreciate it and now I won't make fun of people who list Primus as a cool band. Thanks!

Merci beaucoup Dean! it was a pleasure! I'll try to make something different next time.

pas de bras pas de chocolat
cassandra is Posted - 08/23/2006 : 02:41:17
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Cassandra Mix

thanks again for your review Brian, it's nice to see you and Dean enjoyed this modest podcast... I hope the others will it like a bit too...

quote:
Shannon Wright blew me away! I really loved her tracks

If you want to check out some more songs from the Lady, I hardly recommend the second and third albums available from Quarterstick: "Maps Of Tacit" and "Dyed In The Wool" that are absolutely incredible.
I heard she was working on a new album that should come out next year.

quote:
Echo and the Bunnymen surprised me (the only exposure i had to them was that my friend Dan used to date a girl who loved them and made him spend about 100 dollars to go see them in NYC back in the late 90s during their reunion)

eh eh eh girls fans... for Echo, I hardly recommend the thirst four records -some of the greatest moments of the 80's IMO ("Crocodiles", "Heaven Up Here", Porcupine", "Ocean Rain" all available from Sire) and also "Evergreen" (London), the album of the reunion, which is very good too

quote:
Is the Octobre song title a quote from HIGH FIDELITY? Regardless, excellent! Where can i get more of your music?

well thanks a lot! as THS said before it's indeed a quote from HF (I didn't even knew it myself, what a shame!- but I have an excuse: In haven't read the book yet -yeah I know... what a shame again!!) that said, you can indeed check out some of my music in the I heard Ramona topics I made, and also soon on my brand new site (got to finish it first)

quote:
I have heard rumors that "Coatails of a Dead Man" is about Kurt Cobain/Courtney Love, which would be interesting.

Never heard of that, but that makes that song even more interesting!! thanks for the info

quote:
That is from my least favorite Primus album - they just got all the guests they could and tried to sell records to the rap/metal crowd. That song is by far the best on the album with the best collaborator (that and the Stewart Copeland production on one track).

I tend to agree with that, even if they're still some great songs on it like this one, but yeah the production on this album is a pity compared to their other ones.

Broken Face Posted - 08/22/2006 : 17:04:21
Anyone have any contact w/ Zub the Goat? Isn't she the last to go?

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/22/2006 : 15:38:44
Alright, well I'm caught up on the listening. It's the reviewing that will take some time. Very impressed with all three of the latest efforts. Tre, you particularly sound like you have some radio experience.

Cassandra_is - A Series of Meaningless Movements

Nothing wrong with the way you speak, you French are too self-critical! Or maybe it's just critical, je ne sais pas. :) All in all, a really good podcast with some bands I already knew but songs I'd not heard.

For example, Mustafa by Queen, really cool track that gets into my head. The background on it was much appreciated, too. It's definitely classic Queen, though.

I really found Fantomas' Charade interesting, too. Sounds like it would've been from a Bond film in particular, but I suppose it's in the style of those 60's movies. Don't know about the screaming parts but it does give some contrast. I would probably like to heard The Director's Cut, sounds like a really interesting concept.

Depeche Mode is a band I'd been meaning to hear more from for a long time. Although I lamented electronic music in my last review, I found this enjoyable since there was a strong vocal melody and it wasn't just a mess of resampling. At least I don't think so. Catchy beat.

I don't know where, but I'm sure I've heard Killing Joke's Requiem somewhere before. Maybe just from the first time I listened to the 'cast. I'm not in love but I don't mind it.

Sweet '69 by Babes in Toyland is actually how I expected Blonde Redhead to sound. I couldn't listen to an album of this sound but the song as part of a mix as in this scenario is nice, love the fuzzy bass - reminds me of playing an old arcade racing game. And as Martha Stewart would say, that's a good thing.

Blonde Redhead, as you may have guessed, is yet another band I've meant to check out for ages. They sound nothing like I thought they would. I can't put my finger on it, I suppose it's sort of a Bjork sound they've got going on. I always wonder how people like that (Thom Yorke, Kazu, et al) find their voice and have the confidence to go with it - so unconventional. If that was how I sung I think I'd probably assume I can't sing. Not because she sounds bad, not at all (very sweet as you say), but because it's an unusual way to do it. The instrumentation on this really sells me - I like the solo around the 25 minute mark of the podcast.

You're gonna' tire of me saying this, but yet another band I've heard OF but not heard - Echo and the Bunnymen. Unfortunately, this song isn't something that I'd really see myself listening to. I'd like to hear it in the context of the album because it might be an unusual song/sound for them. Everything fits, but it's a little dull. The instrumentation is really cool, though, I like that aspect of it quite a bit, but perhaps one of the melodies should've been saved for the vocals.

Now I've never heard of Shannon Wright - hallelujah - but her vocals remind me of a slightly smoother Kristin Hersh. Remind, mind you, not sound like. I think I get a feel for the type of stuff you like from these last three though, Cass, it's nice to have a consistent sound going on for a few songs.

Eric's Trip cements for me that I have your tastes somewhat pegged. Or at least, I think I do. I don't like this particular song that much, though, or maybe I'm just not in the mood. The same could be said for the Superchunk song (From the Curve).

I did enjoy Screaming Trees though - I seem to remember APL talking about them? Don't Look Down is a lot of upbeat fun and one of my favourites from the podcast. I could see liking SLOY Seedman too, but it would take some more time yet. Speaking of screaming, by the way, the end of Tweaker/Ruby was my favourite part of that song. Not because of the screaming, but it had just sort of gotten dull by then.

The other Shannon Wright song on the podcast I like the piano but I find the vocals a little annoying a little and the song I don't like at all.

Pond reminds me of more commercial bands and I don't like that sound at all. I guess that the guy's vocal style has been overdone in recent years.

Diabologum's track is pretty cool especially for a local band. Thanks for the inclusion. The verse vocals are a little unmatched to the song in my opine, but they've got 3 CDs and I none, so what do I know? :)

Your song (Just Something I Can Ignore) I was looking forward to since hearing your cover of Nadine. Really cool drum sound, very professional all around, nicely done! I'll need to check out more from you. I didn't like your song with Komakino though - guess that's what happens with age - stuff gets better.

As for SPQR, they sound a lot like.. SLOY I believe. Not a huge fan, though at least the vocals are more melodic.

The Folk Implosion was initially a bit of a shock, but then I heard the beats come in, so youre still prdictable. :) The other Blonde Redhead song is good stuff too. I don't know how much I could listen to her voice, but I do like the tracks as standalone entities. I'll probably check more out anyway and see.

Finally, I always thought that Primus was a mainstream band since I had friends with really bad taste in music that liked them and cited them when we'd talk music, but this is a really cool and quirky song and my friends may have had more depth than I gave them credit for. Love the organ. Combined with the female vocals it sounds like a haunted circus. Actually, if I may, _this_ is my favourite track on the podcast.

Overall, great podcast. You did a good job picking bands and songs and an even better job with all the background info. Really appreciate it and now I won't make fun of people who list Primus as a cool band. Thanks!

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Broken Face Posted - 08/18/2006 : 12:00:39
Tre Review:

Favs: Richard Cheese - "Creep," The Section - "Let Down," Mr. Hopinksons' Computer - "Fake Plastic Trees"
Least Favs: Brad Mehldau - "Knives Out" (shock!)
Comments: An excellent, fun 'cast, Tre. Hard n' Phirm features Mr. Chris Hardwick, who some of you North Americans may remember as the host of "Singled Out" - the show that launced the career of Miss Jenny McCarthy. That was fun. The Bad Plus track i am familiar with, and enjoy to a degree (but i prefer their original material to their covers), and the Mehldau track i had heard before, and am not a huge fan of. I respect Mr. Mehldau and like some of his music (i used "Franklin Ave." by him as background music on my podcast), but i feel that the Bad Plus does more with the piano-trio format than Mehldau does, yet in the jazz world, Brad is a bigger star. I think that is because he is simly more conventional. This cover isn't anything fantastic for me.

However, there was not one cover that i didn't enjoy on some level. And i am a big Richard Cheese fan - great party music.

Good job, Tre.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/17/2006 : 07:39:18
Good grief, I'd forgotten all about this. I'll dedicate some listening time today.

cassandra is Posted - 08/17/2006 : 03:19:25
Thanks for your review Brian (I'll try to answer it with some details later), glad you liked it!

Just wanted to say that I'll try to review Cheese and Tre's podcasts next week if I'm not too busy, promised!

starmekitten Posted - 08/03/2006 : 08:29:15
Thanks Mrs M. that's very kind of you to say indeedy!
mosleyk Posted - 08/03/2006 : 08:20:44
Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't sign up for this CD swap. I just wanted to post how much I enjoyed Tre's podcast. I understand now. Sorry again!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/03/2006 : 08:06:05
Scott mailed it to everyone that had signed up, I think...

mosleyk Posted - 08/03/2006 : 08:03:05
I am really embarrassed to ask...Where is the link to the FTP? (I apologize for my lack of technical skills)
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/03/2006 : 07:54:15
I'm still catching up on Cass' (listened twice) but what I heard and saw of Tre's was very impressive. Be sure to check out the PDF she put on the FTP.

mosleyk Posted - 08/03/2006 : 07:41:08
Tre, I enjoyed your podcast immensely!! Your voice is just perfect for radio.

Your podcast reminded me of a brilliant radiohead spoof performed by a local comedy troupe called, 3rd Floor. I took classes in college with most of the troupe members, and they are a hilarious drunken bunch.

One of the members walked on stage in a bright yellow chicken costume and sung to the tune of “creep.”

“I’m a peep…..I’m made of marshmallow…..what the hell am I doing here….nine months after Easter…..”

I don’t know if you have “peeps” in England but if you are familiar with these vile candies that grace every hopeful child’s Easter basket…..this sketch was incredibly funny.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/02/2006 : 15:23:08
a+c) True, but irrelevant.
b) I'm not even sure what that refers to.

Deanna -> Deanne -> Dean

:P

starmekitten Posted - 08/02/2006 : 15:11:42
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

... because that's how you spell it :P (I know I'm getting myself in trouble now).

Tree = Tr-E
Tre = Tr-A
Tres = Tr-e
Tray = Tr-A

Although I only poke fun it seems that more and more people spell their names one way and pronounce it another these days. It'd be like me insisting my name is De-Anne but spelling it Dean. Except without the necessary sex change that would be involved.

No, it's because you're

a) weird
b) stuck in a greenday rut
c) weird

The generation is quite simple. Teresa, people are lazy so Teresa becomes Tresa (pron. treesa), people usually get lazier so tresa became tre (pron. tree)

I don't see how your e becomes an a at all but then I'm british and talk properly.

Simon, I don't have any money you know...
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 08/02/2006 : 15:06:50
I've listened to Tre's podcast before all you lot (score one for Simon) and it's very good indeed. The lady's a natural, I tells ya!

Hail to the king, baby!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/02/2006 : 15:00:16
Heh, I know.

Broken Face Posted - 08/02/2006 : 14:45:16
I was implying that you are already a female.

(zing)

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/02/2006 : 13:22:43
Well surely a name like Deanne would probably be given to a girl more likely than a guy?

Broken Face Posted - 08/02/2006 : 12:28:44
Sex change?

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/02/2006 : 12:25:42
... because that's how you spell it :P (I know I'm getting myself in trouble now).

Tree = Tr-E
Tre = Tr-A
Tres = Tr-e
Tray = Tr-A

Although I only poke fun it seems that more and more people spell their names one way and pronounce it another these days. It'd be like me insisting my name is De-Anne but spelling it Dean. Except without the necessary sex change that would be involved.

starmekitten Posted - 08/02/2006 : 12:21:11
I think everyone does until I point it out.
ObfuscateByWill Posted - 08/02/2006 : 11:34:03
Huh. I'd always thought it was "tray"

*Release the bats!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 07/25/2006 : 13:10:31
Nope, if you've sent those I should still have 'em somewhere, just gotta find em.

starmekitten Posted - 07/25/2006 : 13:09:57
OK Dean, I'll be sending that to you tonight, do you need the details, notes and picture re-sent?

"You're not too big to go over my knee young man"
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 07/24/2006 : 22:14:23
I've started on Cass' podcast but need to take some notes for my review and listen a few more times. Also need Tre's podcast and I'll get it up whenever she's ready.

The Holiday Son Posted - 07/24/2006 : 12:36:49
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face
Is the Octobre song title a quote from HIGH FIDELITY?

Yes it is.
Well done for noticing it.

quote:
Regardless, excellent! Where can i get more of your music?

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15261

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15449

http://cassandrais.free.fr/Octobre%20-%20When%20We%20Were%20Crowds%20Of%20Thousands/
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 07/24/2006 : 10:32:26
Or wait for Dean to upload it to the RSS feed...

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Broken Face Posted - 07/24/2006 : 09:00:37
Simon, i actually don't really like Mojo - i just wanted a good reggae sampler around the same time i saw that.

Tre, the first step is to email Dean, via yousendt or something, your podcast. Then, you can download a program for your computer via Download.com - search for FTP and go from there. Once you get that far, email me and i'll walk you through the rest.

starmekitten Posted - 07/24/2006 : 08:37:49
Er, in my defence I've only listened to three that I haven't reviewed, had that whole house moving no internet thing in the middle of the podcasting. I'll try to download and listen and review before I start work.

Which reminds me what do I do with my podcast? don't start ftp'ing at me because I'm ftp clueless (as previously stated).

"You're not too big to go over my knee young man"
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 07/24/2006 : 08:27:57
Americans love Mojo, this is a fact I have discovered. I don't think I have the song, but will certainly investigate. I'm kind of hoping it's a forerunner of Mr Brownstone...

Broken Face Posted - 07/24/2006 : 08:20:34
Agreed - have you ever heard Marley's "Mr. Brown?" It is my personal favorite piece of 'classic' reggae. I got it on a Mojo sampler CD that won't rip to my computer (when i was in college for some bizarre reason the campus book store imported Mojo).

Cheeseman1000 Posted - 07/24/2006 : 08:08:21
I'll get to them, I promise... I've listened to at least half of most of them.

I know the reggae was kind of obvious, but I don't really care seeing as they're both ace songs.

Broken Face Posted - 07/24/2006 : 07:52:44
Since work is painfully slow, i just went through the whole massive thread and checked up on who reviewed what. Don't forget that when we all signed up, we agreed to review! So anyway, i may have missed a few, but this seems pretty complete.

Kathryn- Kiki's mix has been the only one that every single person reviewed.
Dean - Still waiting on reviews from Zub and Crispy
Remi - Still waiting on reviews from Zub, Crispy, Tre, and OBW.
Brian - Still waiting on reviews from Remi, Zub, Crispy, Llama, Tre, OBW and Cheese.
Denis - Still waiting on reviews from Kathryn, Remi, Zub, Crispy, Llama, Tre, OBW and Cheese.
OBW - Still waiting on reviews from Kathryn, Remi, Denis, Zub, Crispy, Llama, Tre.
Llama - Still waiting on reviews from Kathryn, Remi, Denis, Zub, Crispy, OBW, Tre, Cheese.
Cass - Still waiting on reviews from everyone 'cept me.
Cheese - Still waiting on reviews from everyone 'cept me.

Broken Face Posted - 07/24/2006 : 07:05:31
Hey Zub - you may want to wait a bit more, as i know that Tre has her mix ready to go. And speaking of Tre, i'm about to review her flatmate's podcast.

Simon's Podcast:

Favs: Adem - "Statued," Manitoba - "Cherrybomb"
Least Fav: Caribou - "Pelican Narrows"
Comments: I really enjoyed every single song on this podcast, with the Caribou being my least favorite of the bunch. Another way that Caribou and Manitoba can be linked, despite personel, is that they are both songtitles by a certain singer/songwriter as well...
I like the pairings that you created (even if the reggae was a bit obvious), and the mix, to my ears, flew by. And, as you know, i'm a big fan of your blog, so this is futher proof that you should quit your job and do more things to entertain me while i'm supposed to be doing my job.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000