Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Serious inquiries only - the last few CD swaps have had people not sending stuff out (if you see this Yann, your last package of discs from #5 should go out tomorrow). So if we can count on you to be reliable, sign up!

Let's limit this to 12 people. And i'd be down for FTPing again if we could get a server to use (thanks again to Obfuscate by Will for letting us use it last time!).

Week 1 (Upload by April 7) - Kathryn
Week 2 (Upload by April 14) - Cult of Frank
Week 3 (Upload by April 21) - Remig
Week 4 (Upload by April 28) - Broken Face
Week 5 (Upload by May 5) - Vilainde
Week 6 (Upload by May 12) - Zub The Goat
Week 7 (Upload by May 19) - Crispy Water
Week 8 (Upload by May 26) - Llamadance
Week 9 (Upload by June 2) - Starmekitten
Week 10 (Upload by June 9) - Obfuscate By Will
Week 11 (Upload by June 16) - Cassandra Is
Week 12 (Upload by June 23) - Cheeseman1000

-Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 04/25/2006 05:52:46

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:14:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm only doing it if people swear to actually review the mixes.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I solemnly swear to. I reviewed them all last time (i beleive...)

Ok, so that's a new criteria. You must agree to the following statement (by copying/pasting it and putting your forum handle where mine appears):

I, Broken Face, agree to send out/upload my mix relatively on time (a week or so late is ok) and i agree to review all mixes within a month of the swap's last disc being sent out.

Does that work Denis?

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:21:39  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in and I swear I'll review the mixes too, if someone explains me how it works to upload/download a mix)

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:24:22  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, once we sort it out, we'll set up a little tutorial.

Welcome!

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in this time, I think. Unless I bail out. In which case I won't be. But there you are, that's unlikely. Tre'll batter me, probably.

You could always do it by yousendit or something? Email everything to yourself then forward it around? That means things are only available for seven days as well, which gives you a ready-made time frame.

I'm only saying this because I'm scared of FTP and stuff, but I'm sure if you do a tutorial...

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

zub_the_goat
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  09:00:25  Show Profile  Visit zub_the_goat's Homepage  Click to see zub_the_goat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never done it before, but id love to join if you guys dont mind?....but yeah, i'll need someone to explain the FTP stuff
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  09:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's certainly an idea. Last round Kiki Yousendit'd it to us, and that appeared to work well.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  09:57:11  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll batter you ok, I'll batter you so bad.

I could be in but it seems stupid if Simon is in so I'm not in.
Am I? no.

'scuse me, seem to be having a breakdown.
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  09:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in. I think I reviewed most of them last time. Even Denis'.

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  10:01:33  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tre, why are you not in? Because your roommate is in? Do you have to listen to the same music in the flat? If so, my college-era mixes would've been a lot of video game music and John Lee Hooker.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  10:05:15  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm only allowed to listen to what I'm told to listen to Brian.

Ok I'm in.

I still get to batter though right?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  10:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can batter away.

Listen to mix mix when you get it.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  10:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I join in if I solemnly swear I'll review each CD?

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's for her own good, seriously. I'm right pretty much all the time.

And roommate? Um. Housemate is the preferred nomenclature. For Tre's sake, lets not get overfamiliar here...

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in on two conditions.
1) As Denis said, everyone reviews every remix.
2) Someone lays out how this is working. How often, who, etc.
3) I learn to count.

Is it okay if I do mine as a podcast? :) Actually, if everyone had recording software (I think there's some free software on sourceforge) we could do a podcast where I put it on my server and you guys just send me the mp3 and info. Nothing to do with FB.Net other than that we're all members, but it'd make it easier to 'send out' and we could hear some of your voices. Not to derail this, I just had this idea suddenly, if you don't like it, continue as planned.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:38:07  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd like to be in, but I know I won't have enough time to review both (#5 and #6) collections. In fact I still haven't heard #5.

-----
I joined the Cult of Le Cigaw Volanttt
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, so Dean is in, the 'housemates' are in, kathryn is in, and Yann appears to not want to be in because of reviews.

however Dean, i don't think a podcast is a very good idea. it eliminates ease of skipping tracks, or of pulling tracks off the mix for future consumption - it makes it very more a 'one time' thing.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do us non-podcasters get on the podcast train? will brian and dean provide idiot-proof instructions?

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:34:16  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I, OBW, agree to send out/upload my mix relatively on time (a week or so late is ok) and i agree to review all mixes within a month of the swap's last disc being sent out.

-

I'll host again if y'all need it.

I do like Dean's idea of creating podcasts. I think coming up with a little script/theme would be kind of fun.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.

Edited by - ObfuscateByWill on 03/29/2006 12:40:43
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  12:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True Brian. I guess I must use these differently than y'all. I listen to the mix, note bands I like, then go find more stuff by them. So while I do listen more than once, I'm not concerned about pulling stuff off the CD. Has it been stated somewhere how this is working? Just wondering before I do say I'm in.

Kathryn, as far as making a podcast goes, you're just making a big mp3 of your songs mixed together, hopefully with a little to say here and there about the songs you chose. Making it into a podcast just requires a little file and I'd take care of that so long as you guys sent me a description/tracklist of your cd.

But this is Brian's babe and I didn't want to come in here and throw it off, just thinking out loud.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  13:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you were thinking out loud, it would have more of a "ya, aboot for sure eh?" feel to it.

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  13:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could do both.....upload the tracks and do a podcast type thing. The software Dean's talking about (I think) is Audacity. I created a non-me speaking one for the last mix, I just didn't release it to the world. It was nice from a developing running order point of view, finding tracks that ran well into each other.

Saying that, it sounds like a lot of work :)

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Edited by - Llamadance on 03/29/2006 13:37:58
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can I be in,even if I never sent my cd for the genre swap? I promise to review each mixes.
And I swear I'll give you a great mix.
I love the idea of the ftp, I won't forget to go to the post office.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  13:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are we doing a theme or something? I kind of like the idea of doing the podcast thing if it's easy enough, although I'm not sure I have anything to record my vocals on.

If I do, we're talking jingle city, bring it on.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  14:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My theme will be Canada.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  14:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will you go down the Alanis Morissette/Celine Dion/Bryan Adams route, or the Neil Young/Arcade Fire/Godspeed You Black Emperor route? Tell me Propagandhi will be on there...

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  14:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

If you were thinking out loud, it would have more of a "ya, aboot for sure eh?" feel to it.

Heh heh, sorry, eh? That should be 'foor shure' though. Oh, and on the podcast thing, it's up to Brian and everyone else. I obviously like the idea, but this ain't my party.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  14:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

Will you go down the Alanis Morissette/Celine Dion/Bryan Adams route, or the Neil Young/Arcade Fire/Godspeed You Black Emperor route? Tell me Propagandhi will be on there...

I have some rare live Alanis recordings, plus I will provide a visual slash audio tour of Celine's childhood home, mere minutes from where I am now living.

Seriously now, Brian does the no-Frank-related artists rule hold in this case? No Breeders/Martinis/Pixies/et al?

Edited by - kathryn on 03/29/2006 14:33:10
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  15:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, here is my decree:

I don't mind the podcast idea, so long as that there is also a folder of mp3s, so that we can take from there if we like, and if you don't want to podcast, you certainly don't have to. Dean is also in charge of teaching us all how to podcast. I believe this is a fair compromise, does it please the court?

And the no Pixies/Breeders/Etc rule is still in effect, just so that we are (hopefully) getting a plethora of new tracks. But this does not extend as far as Rich Gilbert or Eric Feldman or Lyle Workman or Nick Vincent, etc's other projects, just any project featuring any original Pixie.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  15:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still noone hath answered my cry for rules on how frequent these are done/etc.

I have no problem teaching you how to podcast, you will find it eerily simple. I'd like someone else to host the individual MP3s though if possible. My server is limited.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  15:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Still noone hath answered my cry for rules on how frequent these are done/etc.

I have no problem teaching you how to podcast, you will find it eerily simple. I'd like someone else to host the individual MP3s though if possible. My server is limited.

I can't help host mp3s, sorry, Dean. But I'd be happy to start off this thing, if you like. I'll leave the frequency up to the group.

Brian, thanks for the clarification.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  15:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think Scott said he could help out w/ the hosting. I say, why not just try a total "yousendit" swap? Are there any real objections to that? I mean, push comes to shove and you can't DL one week, it can always be re-sent.

And shall we say one podcast/mix per week? Or every 10 days? Something like that? Every week gives us about 3 months, and that seems ideal to me.

-Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 03/29/2006 15:16:08
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  16:02:36  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No objection to hosting again.

Most of the stuff uploaded during the last swap is still hangin' around.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  16:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't believe I see a twelfth name yet, so may I throw mine into the circle? If it helps my case, Brian, I just got a new Catholics CD...

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  16:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're in!

which cd? i have 2 now...

-Brian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000