Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

glo39dm
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  19:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to do Modern Age with my band 39 dead monks, if it isn't already spoken for.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  20:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, I think Modern Age is clear. Send me an email... deadline is July 1.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  02:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, so it's just about 3 AM here, I've checked all my email and this board, and the signup portion of the thing is now closed with ~40 people on board (there are a few people I'm still waiting on email confirmation from - if you haven't been in touch with me via email, do so asap). We've got a tremendous amount of interest and momentum for this project, and as long as everyone keeps moving towards being done bu July 1st and doesn't shelf their song, we will have a fantastic little end product (or 40 of them) by the middle of July for all members of the FTP site. Don't forget to post your suggestions for the compilation name in the Name Discussion thread.

I want everyone to post here with regular updates on the song, and actually, I'd like to do the first one now... everyone let us know how your song is coming along (even if you just started today). Let's keep this exciting.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  02:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For our part, His Kingly Cave has most of the work done, including guitar, piano, drums, strings, french horn, and an organ to say the least. We haven't done vocals yet, but once that's done and a few other small things, it's pretty much ready to go. It's somewhat true to the original but definitely with our own spin on it.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  04:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey all

i'm doing "i've seen your picture" and i'm still scouring the internet and my record collection for various drum loops to use - once i get those in place the song will fall into line really easily. i plan on having 1-2 vocals, electic bass, slide guitar, banjo, and a little keyboards on the song. i'm going for the same emotive feelings as the catholics version but with a different musical spin.

-brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 05/02/2003 04:34:17
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  04:40:14  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops!

I guess I missed my shot.

I would have liked to give 'Southbound Bevy' a try.

*?

Edited by - ObfuscateByWill on 05/02/2003 06:47:22
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  07:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doing White Noise Maker, and I accidentally recorded over a second lead guitar part to the solo and I got pissed because it was really cool. So I gotta do that again and a vocal track. Then the song is done.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

KennySue
- FB Fan -

New Zealand
24 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  09:33:07  Show Profile  Visit KennySue's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm doing "Men In Black" at 117 BPM.
The drums and bass are drummy and bassy respectively and I'm just playing around with some dialogue samples from a movie featuring a couple of MIBs.
Atmospherics still need some attention and the vocals likewise.
It's running at about four minutes thirty-four but I'm thinking of adding a few more bridges 'cause I like the "cool, cool night" bit.
All in all, not too bad.
Thanks to Derek (ProverbialCereal) for the Tab.
Be Brave - Be Free - Be Beautiful
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott, if you really want to do Southbound Bevy, send me an email and we can discuss it.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've booked the studio time and put together the band for "Cold Heart of Stone," but nothing has been tracked yet.

I'm excited about this session because no one except me is particularly into FB, although everyone has heard some of his stuff that they liked (some more than others). I decided to round up folks who were good players as opposed to those who are nuts about Frank's records.

We're in pre-production now, but the expected lineup is drums, percussion, vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric slide, pedal steel, dobro, hammond organ, bass and piano.

It's obviously going to be a bit more baroque than the original album track, but I'll try not to let things get too out of hand. We can't go live to 2-track, as I'm playing the drums and singing lead, plus our dobroist and pedal steel player live about 5 hours away, so we're going to send the tapes up to them and have them add their parts in another studio, then we'll mix and master back at our place.

I plan to start putting things down around the end of May (that's when the studio was free).

Hope everyone's cuts turn out great...

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how come i already feel that mr. radiator's is going to blow everyone else's out of the water?

-brian
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  12:35:40  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It certainly doesn't sound like its going to be one of the worst...
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  17:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is gonna have a wall of sound that's for sure. Holy Cow. Can't wait to hear it (as well as every other song submitted)

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  17:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KennySue

I'm doing "Men In Black" at 117 BPM...

...Thanks to Derek (ProverbialCereal) for the Tab.

You even included the tempo. lol. Hmm, I better find out what tempo I'm using and report back immediately.

You are welcome for the tab (actually this guy Jason tabbed that. That was actually one of the first tabs ever on my original site)

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  18:51:20  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've put down most of the song to tape but I think I'm going to re-record it all over. I'm not very excited about the results...I'm gonna jazz it up. I might change my mind about song selection, but I will be most definitely doing a song.
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  19:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive recorded two versions of "how you went so far": one totally jazz standardish, kind of elevator musicish with a quartet I put together(drums, bass, piano, guitar) and a rock version with my band "the perfect gentlemen": two electric guitars, acoustic, bass , piano(that I might take out of the mix) and vox. Im also workin on a version of fu manchu that sounds good (not necessarily for the tribute)But its goin goood...............lata--------------guidian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  11:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep the progress reports coming, guys. Even if all you have to say is "We'll be starting to play with ___ next week". Of course, you can always describe what you think you might do with it.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  14:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

how come i already feel that mr. radiator's is going to blow everyone else's out of the water?

-brian

Don't get your hopes up. Things are not always as they seem. It's highly likely it'll suck big time.

~ Peter Radiator

Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  14:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kingmob999

ive recorded two versions of "how you went so far": one totally jazz standardish, kind of elevator musicish with a quartet I put together(drums, bass, piano, guitar) and a rock version with my band "the perfect gentlemen": two electric guitars, acoustic, bass , piano(that I might take out of the mix) and vox.

I can't wait to hear both of these. Please submit the two versions to the FTP site. It's a personal favorite of mine and I would imagine a tough one to do well.

What were some of the most challenging aspects of the song from your perspective (if any)?

~ Peter Radiator

Go to Top of Page

wepeel
- FB Fan -

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  18:33:51  Show Profile  Visit wepeel's Homepage  Click to see wepeel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's a bit late, but hey, I haven't been home. I'd like to do, "Freedom Rock", if that's alright. I don't think I saw anyone else doing that one...

=wepeel

Edited by - wepeel on 05/03/2003 18:35:34
Go to Top of Page

makeyourheadgopop
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  19:08:04  Show Profile  Visit makeyourheadgopop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, i find out about these things too late... I would like End of Miles, since no one seems to have claimed it. I just emailed a link to an mp3. It's mono, and acoustic, and stripped down. I like the 'tude, but if you want something more um... "Band" like, I can try and produce something. I don't have a heck of a lot of means, just desire.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  00:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dunno guys, a deadline's a deadline... contact me via email (click on my name) with your case for lateness and we will discuss it there. I'll do what I can to get you both aboard, though. Email!

... alright, so there have been a lot of people emailing me saying that they didn't know about this until the news item was posted, which, admittedly, didn't give them much notice. So I will sneak on a few more people to my already busting list, but I will accept no one else after Monday for sure. Sorry to those of you who were rushing to choose by May 1st (but at least you got that part out of the way).

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 05/04/2003 01:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  05:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:
Originally posted by Kingmob999

ive recorded two versions of "how you went so far": one totally jazz standardish, kind of elevator musicish with a quartet I put together(drums, bass, piano, guitar) and a rock version with my band "the perfect gentlemen": two electric guitars, acoustic, bass , piano(that I might take out of the mix) and vox.

I can't wait to hear both of these. Please submit the two versions to the FTP site. It's a personal favorite of mine and I would imagine a tough one to do well.

What were some of the most challenging aspects of the song from your perspective (if any)?

~ Peter Radiator

The Jazz one was a little easier cause it had no vocals, so yeah, the vocals on the rock version were the toughest part of the whole thing, Im still working them out. I'll still be working on it for the next couple of weeks, but I'm gonna continue to tweak it till the deadline so it'll blow everyone else's away. (a joke---honestly)

I mean naturally I want it to sound as good as it can, but Ive been on comps before, and most of the time the music is so different they couldnt even be compared, so the listener tends to listen to each song individually without comparing it to the previous. I really enjoyed doing compilations before, but it was always original music, so i think this'll be especially interesting.

But as far as my piece of the project goes... Im not yet satisfied, but Ill listen to it a trillion times and hate it more with each listen, and eventually be satisfied enough to upload it.
------------------G
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  09:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a little update on my track:

i had a banjo part all written out for it, but for a very complicated and weird reason, my banjo is no longer in my possesion, so i guess the banjo is out, which sucks. i might still rent one from a store, b/c that was the real piece of the track that i loved (from the arrangement in my head). perhaps i can compensate by adding something else - we'll see.

frustrated,

-brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  09:15:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that's too bad... that would've been an interesting addition to I've Seen Your Picture, but I'm sure whatever you end up with will sound fine.
Go to Top of Page

vegan
- FB Fan -

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  14:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm new to the forums, so I'll say hello to all. I've been signed up to cover Announcement, and have been working on the arrangement. I've come up with some really obscure chords (does a combination of notes automatically become a chord?), just following the root notes as a sort map for the song. How are others approaching their respective songs? I read about some jazzy versions and such...does this just refer to timing and style, or also to switching to jazz chords (like 9 chords or minor maj7 chords)? I'm thinking of keeping the solo over the chords I came up with, though I've changed the timing and would have to alter the solo timing appropriately. I'm going to record the song with my brother and the drummer in his band. (My brother's band, The Satanic Ballerinas, are a death metal band (think Los Angelas video) my brother is a fan but the drummer is not. He's never even heard Announcement so hopefully he'll come up with something cool). I'm going on a two month bike ride starting June 1 so I'll miss the release of this thing. So please don't remove anything from the server as I'll be downloading everything the moment I get back. This is definitely a very cool project; thanks for letting me be involved!

Jason
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  15:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm trying to similtaniously folk/county up "i've seen your picture" with the banjo(hopefully...), add some southern elements with the dirty slide guitar, and hopefully the drum loops will add a different slant to it. the bass line will be a little busier than dave mc's bassline on the record, and a little bit of distorted keyboards during the 2nd verse. basically, i'm trying to take a bunch of different things and make a good ol' "i've seen your picture" gumbo. its really not representative of what i usually do, but i think it'll work for this song. i'm trying to add my own slant on the vocals too. i HATE my voice, but i'd rather sink with my own voice then sail by just imitating FB's vocals. so we'll see how it all works out.

-brian
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  19:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

i'm trying to add my own slant on the vocals too. i HATE my voice, but i'd rather sink with my own voice then sail by just imitating FB's vocals. so we'll see how it all works out.

-brian

I think that's my biggest concern (not imitating FB). It's hard to try not to sound like Frank Black, because when I normally sing along with his CDs, I tend to mimic his voice to a degree. I'm making sure I sing with my own voice for this. I'm even making little subtle changes to the melody.

Along the lines of this... for people with memorable Lyle/Rich/Joey/Dave solos in their songs, what are you guys doing to them? I originally recorded the WNM solo pretty much note for note as the original (with different FX), but then I decided to play around and see what I could come up with on my own. So I laid down a pretty spontaneous solo that isn't like the original. I love Lyle's solo to this song, but I figured people have already heard that succession of notes hundreds of times, and it might be more interesting if I did something else.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  19:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I love Lyle's solo to this song, but I figured people have already heard that succession of notes hundreds of times, and it might be more interesting if I did something else.

[i]-Derek

do your own thing man, i want to hear everyone's solos the way they see the songs, not the way lyle workman did

-brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  20:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm with Broken Face... do your own thing, for sure. If you want to try to recreate it, that's fine, but don't feel confined. We're adding all sorts of crazy stuff to His Kingly Cave that wasn't there originally and trying to recreate Eric's organ work from the SSMVGD version, so we've got a bit of both.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  21:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah I agree, I made up my mind I wasn't keeping my Lyle track. I actually just did another take at an original solo and I think I'm keeping it.

Originally I had Lyle's notes with a tremolo/delay/distortion effect, plus I had an underlying guitar part where I played the same notes over it with a slide. It gave it this mildly spooky sound, but I accidentally erased over it. That's when I said to myself I would do my own solo.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

wepeel
- FB Fan -

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  13:10:33  Show Profile  Visit wepeel's Homepage  Click to see wepeel's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My version of "Freedom Rock" is going to contain some synth/analog parts (along with other voices from my keyboard), maybe some bassoon or bass clarinet... We'll see what else I can come up with. Maybe kazoo like Hendrix used in "Crosstown Traffic". It'll either be amazingly interesting, or it'll suck.

=wepeel
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  15:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was gonna use a bassoon and then have kazoo harmony over it! Wow!

Actually no I wasn't. I doubt your version will suck, wepeel. Maybe you could jazz it up and call it Freedom Jazz. Eh, maybe not.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  16:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't post too often so I'm going to address a bunch of points all in one:

First of all, whoever thought this idea up should be given a big wet kiss (not by me, of course) because I can hardly wait to hear what everyone sounds like. I'm sure Frank himself would like to listen to them as well! How fu**ing cool is that?? There was a post a while back talking about chipping in for a Christmas present for FB or something (which is kind of a goofy idea) but this should show FB just how we all feel about him. Agreed?

Secondly, how are FB and his management/lawyers going to be sure that certain unscrupulous members won't be selling their mix? Are we all on the honor system? I don't mean to start any trouble but you know it could happen.

Thirdly, rough arrangements for drums/bass/guitar/melody have been completed for Skeleton Man and I'm excited by the sound of it so far. Daddy likes Cool Edit Pro 2.1, which I'll also be using to make my 3rd CD later this year. But Skeleton Man will give me an excuse to clean out my home studio early.

Best of Luck to All!! -Chris

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man. =-
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  20:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cvanepps

Secondly, how are FB and his management/lawyers going to be sure that certain unscrupulous members won't be selling their mix? Are we all on the honor system? I don't mean to start any trouble but you know it could happen.

I don't think that is really our (FB.net) problem if it happens. I mean, that would be lame if someone did try and sell their version, but I think anyone could do that and it wouldn't be affiliated with FB.net because the main thing is no money transactions are being made through any forum members or FB.net site maintainers. And besides, if anyone was attempting to sell their mix, I don't think they'd give it away free as an Mp3 like we are doing. Most people seem to have enough class not to do something stupid like that.

Alright, I gotta go ... I just got some orders in for my version of White Noise Maker...

-Derek
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000