Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  19:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the new home of the FB-CD! We're getting organized here. You can find details in the Details section, how close we are to completion in the Progress section, Collaborators in the Collaborations section, and get involved in this section.

So, as I said, this is where you come to get involved in making the CD or to talk about it. The deadline for deciding on a song is May 1st, but the sooner you can tell me, the better. Especially since someone else might take on the song you were going to do!

Edited by - El Barto on 05/13/2003 19:34:13

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  19:48:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... to tie up a few loose ends from the other board:

PsychicTwin - Dave has left it up to you. If you want to do Jesus Was Right, he says he'll do something else. I still have him down for JWR and you for Billy Radcliffe until I hear from you.

Steak n Sabre - I've added you to our track list for 1826.

BillGoodman - Proverbial cereal would also like to do White Noise Maker since he already has a mostly done version and doesn't think he'll have time to complete it, but you did call it, so it's yours unless you're willing to do something else.

ProverbialCereal - lets leave the topic of name along until we're a little further along, keep everyone focused on what song they might contribute. Sucks about not having claimed White Noise Maker, hopefully you & Bill can work something out. We certainly want the [echo] tabmaster [/echo] on board for this!

Leah - Still waiting to hear whether you were REALLY considering doing Shazeb (you sounded like you were joking, but I can still hope, can't I)?

The Swimmer - Can we use your version of Dog Gone on the CD? Also, I've taken off the DC-bias and some of the noise, but I'll send you a copy to look at if you'd like prior to agreeing.

Robert Onion - Could you send me both of those songs, or if you have a strong preference, just one (I'd like to have both just in case, if at all possible).

Also, I'm still waiting to hear if the following people are interested in doing something: Parker Airspace, pong, FranknWeezer, Le Sonique.

The rest of you check the old thread to make sure you didn't miss anything - that's all the very latest posts, though.

Thanks.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/15/2003 19:51:17
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  00:16:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
uhm
I was very excited doing White Noise Maker, but if ProverbialCereal really wants that one he can have it (with pain in my heart I tell you). That's if he really really really wants it. If he gets to do WNM I don't have a clue what to do, but I'm sure I figure out something. Hopefully it will be as good as my plan for WNM. You better make it a good cover Proverbial Cereal!

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  01:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn.. looks like I don't check this forum often enough. Hell, I'd do "I Need Peace" in a heartbeat.
Rather seriously too.

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  01:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shuckles.. it be taken. "Kingly Cave"?

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  08:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both of those ones are taken, I believe... I'll get back to you about Kingly Cave tomorrow. Sorry. :) I'll get you on the list, though.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  08:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... and Bill, I hope that the two of you work something out, because I really do feel bad that you're giving it up and were so excited about doing it. I'm sure you'd do a great job on another song too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm..i dunno if it's so bad that there's a couple people doing the same song? I'd say if people are really set on it, let 'em do it, but still encourage them to do something else...or both! We could have a B-Side of duplicates..heheh..
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:19:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nope
I've forgot about WNM
I used the HIS tab section to learn to play the song anyway
respect to the guitar master

so i'll do something else with the same plan as I had for WNM
I'm searching for one now
I'll let you know when I find the right song

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, thanks for giving up WNM Bill. But I do feel kind of bad. lol. Plus I'm under more pressure because your version might end up being better than mine.

See, I think it would be cool if we both did it, because our final products might likely be different. I'm interested as to what ideas you have for the song. My version is cool, it's not like amazingly unique, but i add a few craps to it.

Cult of Frank -- don't make any change yet. Keep Bill down for WNM (weapons of nice malnutrition?), I'll see maybe if there is another song i could do. The only reason I'd prefer white noise maker is because I've already completed it except for VOX. We'll work things out for the better.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:26:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
derek,

I say WNM is yours. Don't feel bad about it
I'm trying other songs out already.
I want to work on a track with a lot of devotion and will work on it for a long time. So I really want enough time to track it down, that's why I give up WNM so their will be no time lost for nothing.
I'm working on other tracks right now (pre-production) and hope i'll do a fine job. Time is a important thing these days, that's the reason you should do WNM, you've already recorded it. It's the only fair thing to do.

So once and for all,
WNM is yours

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  12:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, I'll make the change with some others I will have to do tonight/tomorrow, though I suppose Dave has a good point that two versions might be completely different, but to be quite honest, I'd still prefer the most variety possible. If you've already started looking/working on something else, that's great, but if you really really do want to do WNM, you have my blessing to attempt it as well, Bill. I'm looking forward to hearing both songs whatever they might be - let me know when you've decided, Bill.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  12:42:15  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I've decided to do "I Will Run After You." The Marsist is a little more difficult and wacky to do as one person, due to the breaks and all that stuff...and it's just a lot more difficult to replicate in a way that I would feel comfortable to make public. I Will Run After You is a song I've loved since I heard it...it's very haunting and beautiful, and it's more of a fun challenge for me vocal-wise. It will be based more on the SSMVGD version, as I feel the BLD version is very half-assed. I think a little more can be done to the song, so I'll attempt to bring it forth. It's gonna be a lot of fun...let's see what I can do with 8 tracks. Oh, and it's also my chance to prove that analog kicks ass.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  13:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim, I started figuring out that song the other day, and I was wondering what you think the first full chord is (after the first few single notes)? On BLD it seems like an E minor but on the SSMVGD version it sounds more full than just an E minor. It could be the effects he has on it, or maybe that is more than one guitar or something. I actually haven't tried enough to figure each out. Guess I am getting lazy.

I think the SSMVGD one is much better too.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  13:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well alright, put me down for white noise maker then. Thanks, Bill. I hope you find a song that suits your ideas.

I actually just ran through a bunch of songs and was brainstorming for ideas, but nothing was coming to me. I was starting to get ideas for the Swimmer but I don't even know if that's been claimed yet. So I guess I'll be WNM.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  14:09:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's cool

I'm gonna put myself to an impossible task of tackling Parry The Wind, High Low! Very hard I think, but my plan for WNM suits that song too, so it will be satisfying for me, I hope it will be for everybody

Is that good Cult of Frank? Nobody listed it right?
Put me down for Parry The Wind, High Low

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  17:38:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, so we've got Derek down for White Noise Maker, Bill for Parry The Wind (I promise!), and Jim for I Will Run After You. Excellent. I'll let you all know what song we will be tackling tonight/tomorrow. This should be a lot of fun, I really can't wait to hear what some of you are cooking up... in addition to all the great stuff here, I've gotten some very exciting emails which I can't say anything about yet.
Go to Top of Page

KingOfSiam
- FB LinkMaster -

USA
460 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  20:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend Steve and I would love to take on the project of:

The Vanishing Spies!
Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  21:34:19  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you have some free space left over on the CD, feel free to throw on my half-assed acoustic "So. Bay" cover that's on the FTP if you want. Or maybe I'll pick something else by May and try a whole-assed version. (but like with Homer, it's hard to tell if I'm using my whole ass or not.)
Go to Top of Page

pong
= Cult of Ray =

France
315 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  04:38:21  Show Profile  Visit pong's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello,

i'm ok, it's a great idea.
so mine : SSMVGD. i must take a drink, smoke a cigarette, and try to cover it the best i can !
but, after, where do i send it?

- Pong

"i'll be on the first fligh"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, I'm going to do some updating this morning. KingofSiam, I will write you down for The Vanishing Spies, Switchy, we were hoping to get away from strictly acoustic/vocal covers, but if you'd like to record a whole-assed version of something, let me know before May 1st and we'll get you aboard. Finally, pong, I've got 'ya down for SSMVGD. The track list should be up to date in a few minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... Oh, when you've finished with it, contact me via email (click on my name) and we'll set up something. I've just updated the track list - 20ish songs (we'll probably lose a few by the wayside), but we will probably have to drop a few of the least finished ones depending... but that will mean a great CD I hope. Those that don't make the cut for CD will still be on the FTP in a different section so that everyone can hear them.

Everyone seems to be really working to put out a great cover, though, so if it comes to that, it won't be easy.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  11:45:47  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You gotta include Cartland's cover of Superabound. It's wicked (just like how liquor is wicked)!

Linked on this thread:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=711

1c
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks, downloading it as we speak...

Cartland, are you OK with us using this for the CD?

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/17/2003 12:24:44
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone else has knowledge of some well done covers out there, please forward them my way. Also, come May 1st when we officially lock everyone with their choice and they are committed, I will be starting a progress counter of some sort (probably on the Details page) so that we can all see how far along everyone is. Having said that, I'm going to get everyone who is on my track list to email me so that I can start getting/asking people for progress updates. Plus, since there are a few people who really haven't answered me as to whether they will be doing something, or whether they're OK with me using their songs <ahem> Leah, The Swimmer , it will give me some way of confirming everyone's interest.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  14:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but, as I'm sure most know, Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day isn't a Frank Black song so it seems weird to have a "cover of a cover" on this tribute album. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal, but I'm just wondering what the "policy" was on this. I'm guess one or two cover cover songs wouldn't hurt nobody...

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  15:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... make fun of me if you must, but I didn't even realize that SSMVGD was a cover. I suppose I'd prefer not to cover covers since really we're just covering the original artist when it comes down to it. Pong, how'd you feel about doing a different song since this is supposed to be an FB cover CD? Thanks for bringing this up Derek. BTW, who did the original?
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  18:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug Sahm (the King of Tex Mex).

I guess since it's the name of one of his (not-previously released) albums, it probably seems weird that he DIDN'T write the song. But, we wont make fun of you Cult of Frank. I actually thought Remake/Remodel was a Frank song for a time.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  02:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If only I had listened to the acoustic version...
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  09:55:29  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A note to you all (Cult of Frank in particular)!

I am switching my song selection from Billy Radcliffe to Speedy Marie. My friend/fellow musician Jessica (who is also a huge Frank Black fan) has expressed a huge interest in collaborating w/ me. We are going to take a day to record this the right way at a friend's studio in Maryland.

so...switch me over to Speedy Marie. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  10:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't you know? I switched you. That's awesome, and I'm looking forward.

Pistolero is now back down to zero coverage, TOTY at 6, but I can't say I'm surprised. TOTY forever. For the record, we are going to be hopefully working on/completing (minus vocals) our song this Sunday, and it is very likely that we will be representing DW, although we plan to work on several songs.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  11:23:28  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent...thanks, Cult!

Someone better cover at least ONE Pistolero song! Can't leave that gem unrepresented.
Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  12:21:00  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well my "So. Bay" acoustic cover is just sitting there. :P
I guess I'll go ahead and formally call that one now and try to try a multi-track version of it soon.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  12:49:49  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
switchy - I think So.Bay is an awesome Pistolero pick. Rock that shit out, man! i'm curious to hear your acoustic version too
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  12:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks Switchy. I'm looking forward. His acoustic version is actually on the FTP as we speak.
Go to Top of Page

CaptainMaximus
- FB Fan -

126 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  07:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I do Ten Percenter? When I get the word, I can have it done in a week or two. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000