Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cazmastic87
- FB Fan -

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  11:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Cazmastic87's Homepage  Click to see Cazmastic87's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just downloaded this album and I wanted to know if it's the actually the tracklist. This is what i got:

1. Sing for Joy
2. My Life Is in Storage
3. I Burn Today
4. My Life Is in Storage (Is it suppose to be on here twice?)
5. Selkie Bride
6. Dark End of the Street
7. Lone Child
8. Another Velvet Nightmare
9. Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
10. Go Find Your Saint
11. The Shrimp Song
12. Violet
13. Atom in My Heart
14. Strange Goodbye
15. All Around the World

If this is wrong then please correct me.

Post something on this or email me at M_Co_87@msn.com

Michael Costello

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  13:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael, Welcome to the forum.

You know what, silly me but I copied this disc for a friend here on the forum and I accidenlty realized that my track list didn't copy correctly, so I don't have the exact list.

Looks like you have a lot of the tracks. I only had My Life Is In Storage once. Plus I have 18 tracks. But it looks like you have a lot of the songs but a couple of them I am not sure of.

Good luck!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 01/23/2005 13:27:40
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  13:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Close but no cigar.

If you substitute the song "Honeycomb" for "Storage" the first time it appears, and delete "All Around The World," you will have the HONEYCOMB album as it stands right now.

However, all sequences and song choices are subject to change. Or not.

Whatever is out there right now is not the official album. It is not mastered. It is probably not the final mix, although it may bear a strong resemblance to same.

None of us are certain at this time even if the album which will be released next will be HONEYCOMB or the one we cut subsequent to it.
So whatever you are listening to is, at best, a rough cut. As great as it may be, the official version will at the very least be fine tuned to express the artist's vision.

Enjoy it, but do not make any assumptions. Thank you.

best wishes,
JT
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  13:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cazmastic87

I just downloaded this album

don't forget to buy it
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  15:23:31  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
amen !

----------
I joined the Cult of the Catholics, Oh when will they return ?
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  15:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon,
That's interesting concerning the release of Frank's Nashville recordings.
As I recall from your earlier posts, the first album recorded (Honeycomb) was at Dan Penn's studio and the second recording was at Cowboy Jack's (?) studio due to Dan's studio being used by Dan, along with many of the Honeycomb musicians, such that you had to hire new musicians for the new album. Am I correct about this?

And if so, would you mind posting a list of those who appeared on the two albums? (I haven't heard any of the songs yet, I'll be waiting for the release, but I was very impressed with those musicians that The Man and you have identified earlier on the Forum.)

It is also my understanding (from your earlier posts actually) that Frank recorded the second album via some all-nighters for a few days surronding his Pixie show at the Ryman on October 6th. I was wondering if you had anything more to add to those very interesting stories, or do we have to wait for the book?

Thanks!

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 01/23/2005 15:25:49
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  16:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And when will it be officially released?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  17:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From memory, the musicians on the HONEYCOMB record were Buddy Miller, Reggie Young, and Steve Cropper on guitars, Spooner Oldham on keys, David Hood on bass, Anton Fig, Billy Block, Chester Thompson and Akil Thompson on drums, Dan Penn, Ellis Hooks, and the recently departed James Griffin on background vocals. I played a little harp.

The second record---and I apologize if I leave anyone out because I'm doing this off the top of my head---has on guitars Lyle Workman, Steve Cropper, Duane Jarvis and myself; bass Bob Babbitt and Tom Petersson; keys Ian McLagan, Mark T. Jordan and Al Kooper; drums Levon Helm, Billy Block and Simon Kirke; backgrounds by Ellis Hooks, Rick Duvall, Bobby Bare Jr., Billy Swan and his two daughters Planet and Sierra. I played a little alto sax, Wayne Jackson from the Memphis Horns on trumpet.

Still no release details yet, label to be determined. Soon we hope.

The second record is still being tinkered with. Initial mixes done in Chicago with David Z and Jake Burns. All of your information seems kosher.

OK, it's Sunday and that's the best I can do. Who loves ya baby?

best,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  17:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  17:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always a pleasure hearing from you....Have a good night!

By the way, from the little that I've heard of Bobby Bare, Jr., he reminds me of Frank.
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  17:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You rock, Jon. Does the second record have a working title yet, or do we have to keep referring to it as "the second record"?

A monkey will eat dirt if you make him.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  17:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much! Obrigada!

The blood in my veins and the wind in my lungs
And I am breathless without you
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  17:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can feel the love! So I'm back!

Bobby Bare Jr. is indeed a big appreciator of FB and in fact gives him a namecheck on his most recent album in one of the songs.

No name to the album yet, call it Nashville 2. I was calling it MARATHON but that has not stuck.

Your respect and appreciation is duly noted.

best,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  20:13:02  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the inside info Jon. I'm can't wait for the 'Nashville' album, I'm going to sit pretty and wait for the offcial release so I can get that Christmas morning feeling!

'it seems,' I said, looking up at the sun, 'when a man dreams, a white butterfly does be after coming out of his mouth and walking away; and when it comes back again, it is then he awakes.
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  21:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, thanks again Jon.

We look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  21:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon for clearing that up!

Wow it hard to believe, because I think Honeycomb hangs the moon right now, but you're right, it's going to get even better! Wow I can't wait.

From all the musicians and instruments you have mentioned it's going to sound so amazing. I can't wait to learn more about the musicans that appeared on there. That's cool that Bobby Bare Jr. appears on there, I saw him last year and his band is very cool.

And FBC thanks for the reminder to buy. What I am doing is I am going to buy two copies-- because it ends up being like buying one after getting the unoffical version free. I am going to give one away to a friend, but I know some people that are going to buy one for their car and one for home.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 01/23/2005 21:18:21
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  01:32:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
jon tiven is the shit!
I just have to say that....

btw, make it a spring release please

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  03:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl
And FBC thanks for the reminder to buy.

oh daisy girl, you need no reminding.
Just the one post downloaders who want juicy info on HC.
But nice thread, it brought back JT.

Just waiting now for the ones to come in with their quick wit and super sarcasm to chase him away again.
This man helped produce Honeycomb. He's one serious inside source and friend to the site. And no doubt,like me, once we have the official release of either record, some members would love to chat with him about his experience, the songs, and probably Frank too.

Even if you don't like Ellis Hooks.

He's a giver. We're the taker.
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  04:16:33  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
amen again ! it almost sounds like i'm in church or something!!!

quote:
Originally posted by frank black conspiracy

quote:
And FBC thanks for the reminder to buy.

oh daisy girl, you need no reminding.
Just the one post downloaders who want juicy info on HC.
But nice thread, it brought back JT.

Just waiting now for the ones to come in with their quick wit and super sarcasm to chase him away again.
This man helped produce Honeycomb. He's one serious inside source and friend to the site. And no doubt,like me, once we have the official release of either record, some members would love to chat with him about his experience, the songs, and probably Frank too.

Even if you don't like Ellis Hooks.

He's a giver. We're the taker.

----------
I joined the Cult of the Catholics, Oh when will they return ?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  04:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on the 8th day, God created Charles Thompson
Fuck that!
There is only one God.

Frank Black

This pin badge tells me so.
Badge-it! never lies.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  11:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon. Glad to see you back on the board, amigo.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  16:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wearing my badge proudly tonight, FBC!

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  19:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[Hi Jon, I wanted to copy my post over here just in case you didn't see it over at the Frank Black Austin City Limits topic.]

Hey Jon, always appreciate a "little" humor. [re: Tivo joke]

But, seriously, how 'bout those last recording sessions you had for Nashville 2? Never did hear much about those, and as you can imagine, we are all very curious. You shared with us the difficulty that sprung up when Dan's studio and most of the Honeycomb muscians were unavailable, and the nonstop, 24 hour days, to get the project going! So, what was that like? And what else happened?

Thanks.

P.S. We need something until Honeycomb comes out. If we can't listen to the music let us listen to some of the stories.
Go to Top of Page
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  05:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, I think we are close --- maybe very close --- to a deal for HONEYCOMB. I figure it'll be out in the 2nd quarter of 2005 if luck holds.

NASHVILLE2 is still a work in progress. We did a couple of new mixes last week which were absolutely stunning. The record is gorgeous, but let us not rush it. Levon's contribution is very strong.

If you need something to listen to in the meantime, my good friend ELLIS HOOKS is off his label and has put out a new album called BLACK MARKET on our label Unlimited Editions. For those of you who became fans during our last go round, or for those of you who are curious, it is only available for $16.98 ppd. at gigs or through the mails: Unlimited Editions Ltd., P.O. Box 158892, Nashville, Tn. 37215-8892. Yes, that's a shameless plug, but at least he has some connection to FB (singing backgrounds on HC and N2), unlike that other guy being touted in a thread called "If you don't like HONEYCOMB, try this guy." If anyone is upset at me plugging Ellis --- not that anyone would or should (LOL) --- at least it's not at the expense of FB. And no one ragged at that thread (not even me).

Anyway, BLACK MARKET is yet another cool Ellis record and now I'll be able to see who's really putting their money where their mouth is without using soundscan. Say you read about it on this thread and take a buck off the price, that's what a nice guy I am. Don't say I never gave you something for nothing!!!!

best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  06:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

First off, I think we are close --- maybe very close --- to a deal for HONEYCOMB. I figure it'll be out in the 2nd quarter of 2005 if luck holds.

Thanks Jon,

When you talk about a potential deal for Honeycomb being very close are you talking about the US/North America only, or Europe as well?

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  08:41:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey Jon, does your company have a website?
and can I hear here tracks from black market?

Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  12:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the HONEYCOMB release will be worldwide.

You'll just have to take my word that it's a worthwhile cd, 18 new songs, over an hour of music. BLACK MARKET shuns all normal record industry tricks like websites, soundscan, charts, etc. We are under the radar.

best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  20:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon,

Thanks so much for hanging out here and answering fan questions that's so cool of you!!! Thanks too for your reccomendation to hold us over until Honeycomb comes out.

So what did it feel like recording with Frank? I know you have been a fan for quite some time?? What was the vibe like in some of those sessions-- it must have been pretty darn cool cuz Honeycomb sounds so cool.

Also, can you let the cat out of the bag where the sessions were in Nashville. Reason why I ask I will be there in a little less than a month and wouldn't mind taking a photo where Frank's best album/love song were recoreded. If you can't say, I completely understand.

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  03:11:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey jon, cool that you are under the radar

Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  04:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nashville2 was recorded at Jack Clement's Cowboy Arms and Recording Spa. It's also his home, so I don't think he'd particularly appreciate people coming over to take photos. Jack is a legendary artist who produced Jerry Lee Lewis, Charlie Pride, Johnny Cash and Louis Armstrong (and that's just for starters) and has his own excellent album out (it came out just as we started recording).

Yes I have enjoyed Frank's music for many years. When Peter Lubin was considering signing the Pixies to Elektra---Peter and I being high school chums with a friendship that continued through our trials in the music business---he laid a tape on me and I enjoyed it immensely and told him so. As I don't like anything, he thought that was meaningful and I assume it made him feel more confident about signing the group, which he subsequently did. Thanks Pete!

I became involved musically with Frank when I was producing a series of tribute albums, and he performed on them but we also developed a friendship and he told me of his desire to go to Nashville and record an album with some of the veteran players there. I guess it took me moving to Nashville (which I did 2 1/2 years ago) to put this plan into action.

Glad you are all staying positive --- keep it up, and I will continue to at least lurk.

best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  04:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So what did it feel like recording with Frank? I know you have been a fan for quite some time??

I think he's been more than just a fan.

He's worked with Frank on so much, since way back, and who else here has sung the "oo-OO-oo" backing vocals on Men In Black. it wouldn't suprise me if he's done a few "cre-dits" too.
So many questions, so nowhere to ask them.

We need a Jon Tiven Q 'n' A session thread for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Cabonga
- FB Fan -

Antigua and Barbuda
53 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  16:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Cabonga's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes! innlysende.

Die Harder
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  17:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jon! I feel cool saying hi to someone that is friends with my man frank black

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  23:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon,
Thanks for all the amazing information. What a testament to your devotion to the music, FB, and your collective fans that you give us such interesting stuff. Makes us all feel pretty damn special.

Irish folk-tales scare the shit out of me
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  05:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are all welcome, and thanks for showing me the love.

It appears the record deal for HONEYCOMB is pretty much done, although there are still details to be worked out. We will get this released this year, and when I have an actual release date I will inform you. But it is looking more than good, it is looking GREAT!

I will have some additional news late next week that is connected to the HONEYCOMB news, not completely on the same page but of interest.
In the meantime, rest assured that it will be out this year and with luck, before the end of the summer.

best wishes,
JT
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  18:52:41  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan to me. I like that it's "looking GREAT." Many congrats to you and Mr. Black and everyone else on the Honeycomb project.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000