Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  02:32:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frank black conspiracy

quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

So what did it feel like recording with Frank? I know you have been a fan for quite some time??

I think he's been more than just a fan.

He's worked with Frank on so much, since way back, and who else here has sung the "oo-OO-oo" backing vocals on Men In Black. it wouldn't suprise me if he's done a few "cre-dits" too.
So many questions, so nowhere to ask them.

We need a Jon Tiven Q 'n' A session thread for sure.

I believe matt yelton did those oo-OO-oo's

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  04:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about the 'Headache' single version.

Doesn't Jon and his wife help out?
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  15:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct, FBC. I would say that our version became the blueprint or demo for the later recording.

I prefer the earlier version, not because I produced it but simply because I like the rhythm section on mine. It was from the same session that "Oddball" and the other tracks came from.

Officially,
JT
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  21:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon. Yeah, since it's his private residance, I don't think that it would be cool to drive by and take a photo. But thanks for the scoop. For me with your info what makes this really cool is he is one degree of separation of recording my fave artist--- FB and my dad's Satchmo.

Anyway, thanks for keeping us in the loop!!!
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  02:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you dropped a hint to me a while back this version was on the 'Headache' disc. Been hooked to the song ever since I first heard that lead riff at the beginning of the track, it went uphill from there. A mountain of a song.

So Jon, any other vocal or musical inputs we don't know of floating around?
Don't tell me it's you playing xylophone on 'I Burn Today'? Nice though, whoever it may be.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  05:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bells on "I Burn Today" are Spooner Oldham. My only contributions as a "musician" on HONEYCOMB are the harmonicas, and a little bit of acoustic guitar here and there, as I am doing this from memory I can only remember playing guitar on "Strange Goodbye."

On the second Nashville album, my Alfred Hitchcock moment is on the alto saxophone.

If you want to check out my chops on all the instruments (guitar, keys, etc etc) you'll have to shell out for that ELLIS HOOKS cd.
Special price for Frank Black fans, $15.98 ppd. from Unltd Editions Ltd., P.O. Box 158892, Nashville, Tn. 37215.

Couldn't resist.

best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  06:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you allowed to tell us what record label you're looking at for Honeycomb? And by the way, thanks for sharing all of this info with us; it's greatly appreciated.

ˇViva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  06:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh. Bells not xylophone, even nicer.

Hmm, a lttle bit of acoustic guitar here and there...Jon, you're talking to a fan(atic) of both the six string and the songs of fb.
It's like one of those dreams that will never come true, and for others, just in a days work (oh well, least it pays the bills)

When and if it's possible to expose some HC secrets, can you share some inside info on the title track? please?
I was just wondering if it's in standard tuning, or is the intro both bass and acoustic together. I play it all as one, and my fingers hurt from all the stretching from fret to fret. Sorry if this is a bit cheeky. You see, we have to take the opportunity to pester you with dumb fan questions as you're not always around, and i'm still waiting for that JT q'n'a thread. Maybe after the release of HC i'm hoping.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  10:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm....there are some secrets that will stay secret. However, I can reveal a few things.

The label that HONEYCOMB is coming out on is part of the EMI family. I will not answer any more questions if this becomes a guessing game. So hold that thought.

As for the song itself, here's what I'm willing to share. It was one of th last songs recorded for the album, and in no way were we thinking of it as a title track until it went down and sounded as amazing as it does. Particularly after Mr. Cropper showed such great enthusiasm for it (and his is the more metallic of the solos, as it was played directly into a Manley compressor without benefit of amplifier). Our man FB was still working on the track the night before our third and final day of basics, and showed me several permutations of it on the morning we cut it and I gave him my two cents. The rest was a case of surrendering it to the players, and the surprise was drummer Akil Thompson, who came in as a last minute substitute for his dad Chester who had to leave midday.

I think that's pretty juicy, hope it holds you.

best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  10:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Jon!

really appreciate all the info you're sharing. can't wait to pick up a copy of the albums once they're out. really impressed with what i've heard so far. strange goodbye really blows me away. really dig the back and forth singing with frank and jean. do you ever discuss frank's lyrics with him or is he pretty private in that sense? we love any insights.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  12:14:07  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love this info jon!
emi family?
great
the album deserves it

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  04:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

I think that's pretty juicy, hope it holds you.

It is, and does. thankyou.
we await your return.
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  10:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great access. I appreciate JTivens participation and information.

I am glad I dl'ed honeycomb, but, I cannot wait for the nice, clean, fresh, completed disc.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  04:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will have some additional news late next week that is connected to the HONEYCOMB news, not completely on the same page but of interest.

Any news yet, Jon?
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  15:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ink is not dry. In fact, it's not even wet. Busted pen? No, things move more slowly in the record industry than we'd like. But I can report that the company is planning on releasing HONEYCOMB in May.

That's one. Here's the other thing of which I spoke.

I know that some of you have expressed concern that some of the songs from the leaked version of HONEYCOMB may not make the final album. Rest assured that they will not sit on the shelf. Some will be on the second installment. And........

I am in the midst of producing a great rhythm & blues singer named CHARLES WILSON (Little Milton's nephew, for those of you who take note of such things) and we have recorded one of the songs of which I spoke. I won't say which one, but it is a favorite on this board, and the version is killer and features the same musicians as on the HC version so it is incredibly faithful to the original.

Here's a hint and an answer to a previous question: the title does not have anything to do with planting a wet one on someone's posterior.

And if that doesn't make it obvious, you haven't been paying attention!

Your friend,
Jon the Tiven
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  15:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for this wonderful fresh news, and May is not a long wait!

So this is for when you're feeling happy again
And this is for when you're feeling sad
And this is for when you feel...
Something
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so excited and can't wait for Honeycomb. I refuse to hear it before it comes out. It'll be the first time since the release of Pistolero that I haven't aquired a pre-release promo or download of a FB work of art. May is so close! My ears are itchin!!!

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  23:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am in the midst of producing a great rhythm & blues singer named CHARLES WILSON (Little Milton's nephew, for those of you who take note of such things) and we have recorded one of the songs of which I spoke. I won't say which one, but it is a favorite on this board, and the version is killer and features the same musicians as on the HC version so it is incredibly faithful to the original.

Here's a hint and an answer to a previous question: the title does not have anything to do with planting a wet one on someone's posterior.

'Kiss My Ring', I guess?...
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  09:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Jon, thanks.

I remember this time last year finding out about the Ps and booking a ticket for Brixton June 4th.
That seemed like an ages to wait but before I knew it I was there listening to the might of Bone Machine.

Can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  05:28:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
again,
thank you Jon the Tiven!

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  13:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

I am so excited and can't wait for Honeycomb. I refuse to hear it before it comes out. It'll be the first time since the release of Pistolero that I haven't aquired a pre-release promo or download of a FB work of art. May is so close! My ears are itchin!!!

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN

You know what for the longest time, that's the way I felt. But I am so glad I have a copy... it's amazing and I can't imagine not having Honeycomb. Since there are going to be so many changes, I would get one because it sounds like this one will be different than the realease.

Thanks Jon for all the insider info. May! I can't wait.

It's also good to hear that the songs that don't make it from Honeycomb to the offical release will be released at some point. I am guessing that that's what you meant. Because as you know all those songs on Honeycomb are so amazing, it would be a shame if the world wasn't able to hear them.

Hope I didn't offend you by refering to you as a fan that's recorded with Frank. I didn't know you guys went way back... sorry.

Anyway, thanks again for keeping us in the loop!!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 02/13/2005 13:18:36
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  15:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably a stupid question, but my undestanding of Jon's words was that 'Kiss my ring' was recorded by Charles Wilson, but it's still going to appear in the 'marathon' album...?
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  04:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether "Kiss My Ring" appears on a Frank Black record is yet to be determined. I hope that clarifies.

Charles Wilson is thinking of titling his album KISS MY RING. What do you think?

best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  05:58:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What an honor for Frank,
if another artist chooses his title to title his record
great stuff
personally it's not my favourite song
but I think it could do very well

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  08:46:16  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's my 2nd fave of the 5 that didn't make it to HC... right after Sad Man's Song. I LOVE the beginning of Kiss My Ring, the chord progression on the 1st verse is stellar.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  11:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to this German website, 'Honeycomb' will come out on March 28... Too great to be true?

Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  17:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
News to me. I think unlikely.

jt
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  23:48:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wasn't that the same germn website who said 'SMiLE' would be out in January 1967?

Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  10:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for any one who downloaded the album is it any good?

A day is really two days
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  10:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard it, but I belive there is a thread called "honeycomb - the discussion" or something that might help you.

Edited by - ElevatorLady on 02/15/2005 10:44:56
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  10:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you

A day is really two days
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  12:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Marsist

for any one who downloaded the album is it any good?

I didn't download it but yes it is good, marsist.
I don't know what you like in FBs music, but because you're here at this forum, I believe you'll be a fan when you finally get to hear.
Just a beautiful record, in my opinion.

And like Elevatorlady said too, jump to the HC thread if you want to read what the buzz is about.

Damn! We so close to another Frank Black record I can almost hear it.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  04:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest is it looks more like the end of June as long as the lawyer don't take too much time finessing the fine points of the contract.

That is the OPTIMISTIC view. So start praying now.

best,
JT
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  04:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fuckin lawyers! they shouldn't be paid by the hour. it promotes dogfuckin.(no offence to any lawyers on this forum.)

i just said a prayer.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  05:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm on my knees, a little pessimistic, but that's okay

thanks jon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page