Pixies doing the Catholics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  04:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Frank has already re-worked at least one Pixies tune with the Catholics, ie. Velvety. What FB/FB+C song do you think Pixies could succesfully "cover"? ... I'm thinking maybe: ten percenter.

** Signature This **

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  07:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An album of their own covers would be cool...FB/Breeders/martinis--maybe they could call it the Breedtini Blacks or the Breeding Frankentinis.

I'd like to hear some of Joey's guitar on the Breeders' "Off You".
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  12:07:44  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think I would want to see that happen. So he released Velvety with the Pixies, and then added lyrics with the Catholics. The B-side album notes say he wrote it when he was like 12 or 14, so it was really his song to do what he wanted with it whenever he wanted. I could accept one FB & the Cs cover of Frank and Joey rattling one out real quick on stage but def not an album or entire live set.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  12:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that it would be cool if they covered their solo projects live. Maybe like one song for each band.
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  12:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree...A song would suffice...

(I was kidding about the whole album...that would be overkill,imo)

but I still like the name Breeding Frankentinis
:)

Edited by - tobafett on 01/30/2005 12:36:37
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  17:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Dave could do a magic trick too
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  22:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pixies should cover Bullet or Superabound, the theme song from the movie ANTS, Hello/Goodbye by the Beatles and perform a spontaneous improvisational number while Frank reads/sings passages from The Sandman aloud...any part will do.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  05:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the cult of ray & the marsist - imagine david lovering on the drums of the first one !

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Pixies should cover John the Revelator (I know it's a cover to begin with, but I think they should cover it also)
Go to Top of Page

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  13:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brackish boy
Go to Top of Page

whoreatthedoor
> Teenager of the Year <

Spain
2873 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  23:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obvious choice but... "Massif Centrale"

The violet, the lily and the pink but those I refused all three
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  04:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd love to see them cover a fb tune. if the pixies are touring again this year then i really hope they add some new songs to the playlist. if so i'd be willing to plan a trip around one of their shows if they didn't hit winnipeg. frank has never really played it safe so i'd be surprised if they play the same sets from 2004. i'd love to hear material from trompe, bossanova, some fb tunes, ain't that pretty at all, bam twock, as well a pixies version of a breeders tune. the first time i heard fb&c's play a pixies song live i got serious chills down my spine. then covering some fb tracks would be fantastic. i think 10% would be good. really like massife centrale as well. so many to choose from. i'm getting a headache.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

whitefrancis
- FB Fan -

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  11:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't wanna piss anyone off here but...NO WAY!! are you guys mad? when frank's self-titled (orange) came out i fantasised at how it would have sounded had it been a pixies recording, and yes it would have sounded pretty damn good, same with some stuff from teenager, but NO WAY. it's the pixies man. it always annoyed me that frank started doing pixies stuff with the catholics. its just plain wrong. but i'm not trying to be a hater! i just want the pixies to remain the pixies and continue making pixies songs. ANYONE agree?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  13:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dunno, there are some brilliant songs out there the band could do justice. and some more.

they play covers as it is, so to hear a few others that actually mean as much to us as a pixie original would be pretty amazing.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  13:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, no, no. It's time for the Catholics to rise again!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  14:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
less teen angst sexually frustrated pixies...more life is real experience thrived f/b catholics...mmmm
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  16:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something like that....More Catholics!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  17:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies would never do a Catholics song.

It was fun and weird hearing Frank perform Pixies songs again when he and the Catholics first started doing it in 1998 and the only two songs were "Wave of Mutilation" and "Holiday Song". After that, I coulda done without them and I even got a little annoyed the last time I saw Frank & the Catholics (Dallas, TX; March of 2003) and they played 6 or 7 Pixies songs all in a row at the start of the show. Not because I felt the sanctity of the holy Pixies songs were being violated though. I was just tired of those songs and wanted hear the new stuff.

That said though, I have an MP3 of a killer Catholics' version of "Dancing With the Manta Ray" that pretty much walks all over any Pixies version I've ever heard (including the studio one). They should put THAT on the Catholics box set live CD.

Edited by - Jason on 02/23/2005 17:57:09
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  19:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey jason, i was at the dallas show [too] and dug the fact that they played the pixies tunes...did seem like they blasted through 'em though...I LOVED their version of gouge!

Edited by - tobafett on 02/24/2005 16:27:49
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  20:18:31  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1965, I agree with Ten Percenter. It's cryptic and would easily fit into a Pixies set list.

"I'm a jerk making jerk, and it's good".

I'd like to hear the Pixies perform Adventure and the Res.....I think Kim singing Matt Yelton's backing vocals would be a fresh new take on the song....It sounds like it'd work with surfy guitars....I don't know, though, if Joey could pull off Lyle's soloing. They are 2 completely different guitar players.
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  20:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, this is getting to me...WHERE can i get a copy of the Adventure and Resolution with lyrics??? (beside the oooo's)

help!
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  21:24:33  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't even know it existed with lyrics. I meant Kim could do the oooo's. Mosh and Tossed were played live with lyrics, but I'm not sure about Adventure and Resolution. Maybe I'm wrong. If this were discussed before, I wouldn't know about it.
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  21:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, thanks icecream. sorry to ask and ask for more and more but now how about lyrics for mosh and tossed?
:)
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  22:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they should do an FB boxset too. for the early era. and then do some kind of Frank solo box set(s).. and then a "Just Frank And EDF demos" boxset.

i can think of more

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  04:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

No, no, no. It's time for the Catholics to rise again!

did you ever think the last time you saw the catholics would actually be the very last time, too? thats pretty sad.

i took it for granted they would always be around
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  08:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My feeling is if an artist writes a song, the artist can perform the song, regardless of who else (if anyone) is on stage with them...

The Cult of Frank 2.0: It's not the coming of the aliens or anything...
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  03:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Men In Black would be a good Pixies track. I think FB solo and COR sound Pixieish, but TOTY seems different to the others. But Catholics stuff goes in a different direction to that. Shouldn't be touched in my opinion.

The Organic Anti-Beat Box Boy
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  12:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Frank plays a Pixies tune with the Catholics, it's because -- with one exception -- it's his song.

If Kim plays a Pixies tune with the Breeders, she's really only got one choice -- Gigantic.

If the Pixies play Catholics or Breeders or Martinis songs, or start doing phenomenalist magic tricks on state, that's just wrong. There's no need for making the Pixies some sort of Rat Pack show in which Sinatra sings Dino's songs and viceversa. Yuck.

They're all so creative, I just want to see what they have to say today.

That said, "Lime House" wouldn't suck : )

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  13:05:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't your first two paragraphs contradict the third? If Pixies did a Kim track (Breeders) or a Frank track (Catholics or solo), how is this different than Frank doing a Pixies song with the Catholics or what have you?

I say, if you're not going to get back with the Catholics, I could really dig a Pixies-style Bullet (perhaps more akin to the Crime & Punishment version).

In any case, no objections from me.

"Join the Cult of Frank / Seriously."
Go to Top of Page

Horrible
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  12:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would die and go to heaven to hear the Pixies cover Fazer Eyes, with Kim Deal singing. In that seductive voice she puts on. Just, wow....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000