Page: of 6

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  10:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by candle

"We went to the store / and got something great / that samples this song / from Washington State."

That seems straightforward enough. What songs from Washington State were recognisable and important enough in 1991 that they would be sampled by someone else? Wasn't Nirvana around at that point? Perhaps Frank went out and bought a copy of 'Call It What You Want' by 'Credit To The Nation', which samples the beginning of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'? And perhaps this is the record he is hoping will "go"; and perhaps it was named by some guy named Joe; and certainly a song which begins with a sample from something else is "fooling the world".

Or, since it hadn't been released or probably even written by the time TLM came out, perhaps not.

Oh well.

(sorry if this has been answered already)

the Washington State refers to the Washington State Fight song. in an interview back around Tromp era Frank said that line was about going to radio shack and getting one of those megaphone/loudspeakers. the song is literally what is played (sampled) from the megaphone..

check out any megaphone / loudspeaker and it's on there

at least that's what your mom said

Edited by - floop on 12/31/2006 10:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  14:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really?! That's interesting.

Merry Christmas!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  14:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would I lie to you Carl?
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  14:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

the washington state reference refers to the bull horn that radio shack use to sell. it had a sample of the washington state fight song on there, which is also in Trompe after he says "from washington state".

I knew there was a Washington State Fight Song, but didn't know about the Radio Shack bullhorn reference... cool!

Here's a theory I've had for a while: Frank sings The Perry Mason Theme in Space (I Believe In), and I tried to find a copy for a long time. On finally hearing it, I did an aural double-take:

http://www.hi-toro.com/misc/perrymasonintro.mp3

Is it just me that hears the start of Trompe le Monde here? Is the Trompe intro a tribute to the Perry intro, with a similar call-and-response opening? For reference...

http://www.hi-toro.com/misc/trompeintro.mp3

Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  21:07:44  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

quote:

the washington state reference refers to the bull horn that radio shack use to sell. it had a sample of the washington state fight song on there, which is also in Trompe after he says "from washington state".

I knew there was a Washington State Fight Song, but didn't know about the Radio Shack bullhorn reference... cool!

Here's a theory I've had for a while: Frank sings The Perry Mason Theme in Space (I Believe In), and I tried to find a copy for a long time. On finally hearing it, I did an aural double-take:

Is it just me that hears the start of Trompe le Monde here? Is the Trompe intro a tribute to the Perry intro, with a similar call-and-response opening? For reference...

good catch!!!

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

MikeW
- FB Fan -

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  22:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Frank can shed some light into this rumor: I heard that Frank had purchased the bull-horn during the Bossanova sessions and that sometime during the Trompe sessions he through it against a brick wall or something and smashed it to pieces. The engineer or whoever was working the session taped it back together with duct tape and got it to work for the trompe sessions.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  03:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

Wow, I definitley hear it. It's almost the same!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  11:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, can't say I really hear that much of a similarity, but it's intriguing none the less. MikeW, where did you hear the bullhorn story?

Edited by - Carl on 01/02/2007 11:24:18
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  18:34:21  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey,
Just wanted to say what a neat thread this is! I never really looked at "Trompe" as a concept album, although many of the songs are tied together by a common theme (UFO's, aliens, space, etc...) I've always enjoyed strange and cryptic lyrics, and Frank's chock-full of them!!!

Just curious if anyone knew, weren't "Trompe" and "Nevermind" released on the same day? I believe they were both released in early October of '91. In fact, a friend of mine (who was in college at that time) said that "Nevermind", "BloodSugarSexMagik" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and "Ceremony" by The Cult were all released at or around the same time period (must've been great to be an alt-rock fan that autumn!!!).

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

MikeW
- FB Fan -

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  20:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never did like nirvana or the peppers but that sounds correct.
Go to Top of Page

that means soda
- FB Fan -

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  18:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I hear the Perry Mason similarity with trompe, its pretty clear.

And about that line, this song is twice occured, while it's true the song repeats its verse's melody twice, I always thought the line refered to the song occuring first in the physical space and then a second time in your brain as your ears and neurones recreate the sounds around.

anyway....

Montreal, October 1st 2002
Go to Top of Page

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  05:18:51  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trompe le Monde....fool the world.....he has fooled you into running round in circles

Blats
Go to Top of Page

mikaelp75
- FB Fan -

131 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  05:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to this thread I no longer think "this song is twice ocurred/and now its time to go/away on holiday" means that Frank thought it was time to break up the band because they were repeating themselves.

Here are some farfetched thoughts:

"and the words/are the letters of the words/said/electrically played"
First I thought that meant that the sounds and chords carried the message rather than the literal meaning of the words, but I tried to think of other possibilities. Somewhere in the back of my head was what Frank said about writing songs, how it was his little way of playing God. You start out with nothing and sit down and create this universe. If the quote above refers to the letters of the word LIFE written on the girl in the first verse's shirt spelled out, and keeping in mind Frank often mixes Spanish (which I don't speak) and English, a very cryptic message would be El I/Eye Hefe E. Hefe=The Boss/Master in Spanish I think, and sounds like the way they pronounce F. E=the energy of the world as in E=mc2? The letter I sounds like Eye, the likeness of the planet/world with the eyeballs on the cover was noted elsewhere.

The girl in the first verse would be Frank's muse (who returns in Letter to Memphis), and I like the idea of a time travel "free freeway". I also think the Gloria theory makes sense in this respect.

I was hoping that through this I would eventually find support for a theory that the song was somehow saying that "I am fooling myself and everybody that this song/what I do has meaning above the personal gratification of creating and then playing it loud", but I can't. Ah well. Still one of my favourite Pixies songs.
Go to Top of Page

MHokkane
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  15:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just gave this CD to my cousin who has never heard the pixies and he LOVES it! Irrelevent to the conversation, but it goes to show the pixies are timeless!!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  17:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was the first Pixies record that I bought, as a matter of fact.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2011 :  10:29:29  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
20 years of Nevermind celebrations over here with a rerelease etc etc and here I sit listening to Trompe Le Monde released the same year.

Happy Anniversary, Trompe Le Monde!

Today I fell back in love with this song.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  05:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awwww, that's what I'm Bird dream of the Olympus Monnin' abizznout!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  06:55:10  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
=) try saying that with a sausage roll in your mouth. F*ck Santa. I want Frank down my chimney.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000