two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  00:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay, it's a fabolous song.

but i just noticed yet

"and the words are the letters of the words"

- a hint of FB towards his use of anagrams (okay, it's not an angaram, but you know what i mean - the SURFER, speedy marie, robert onion,...)

mybe trompe le monde contains also an ana-thingy

btw, anybody knows if this song was ever performed live ?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  04:13:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it was performed live
you can see it on the brixton academy 91 show

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  07:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was also played with The World's Most Dangerous Band on David Letterman. Dave on tamborine and I believe Kim played acoustic guitar.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  10:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i tried to look for some word play in that song too, but didn't find anything. then again, i didn't look that hard. and after seeing the word play etc. in that one song of his... about his dogs or whatever... i guess it's possible there is something hidden deep.
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  17:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always like the line "named by some guy named Joe". So did Joey name the song or album or both?

Free the Heel!
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  00:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"...for outer space and those of they who paid..."

maybe anagrams for the E.T.'s to unravel?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  03:01:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adam

I always like the line "named by some guy named Joe". So did Joey name the song or album or both?

Free the Heel!

well depending how I read your question, first of all:
They are both named Trompe Le Monde
But I guess you knew that
I think he came up with Trompe Le Monde as a suggestion for the album
and Frank (needing lyrics) decided to put it into that song. (most of the songs didn't have names according to a frank interview of that era, wait I look it up, VOX magazine interview, working titles for songs: ZEP, Zep II, Power Ballad)

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  08:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
billgoodman, you 've just reached 2500. congrat's.

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Adam

Free the Heel!

well depending how I read your question, first of all:
They are both named Trompe Le Monde
But I guess you knew that
I think he came up with Trompe Le Monde as a suggestion for the album
and Frank (needing lyrics) decided to put it into that song. (most of the songs didn't have names according to a frank interview of that era, wait I look it up, VOX magazine interview, working titles for songs: ZEP, Zep II, Power Ballad)

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  22:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trompe le monde, both the song and the album was my first intrusion in the Pixies peculiar world. I was 14... Got traumatised by the first chords. Still am... Now I play rock music, but what's the point today?
Ahhh, guess I was cursed by that bloddy band...

HW
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  00:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey hWolsky same story here
Trompe Le Monde is the best album to introduce to pixies
well it was for me
when I got Surfer Rosa it didn't blew me away at all
ok after 3 spins I was a fan but with Trompe Le Monde
, especially the title track, I had a connection from day 1

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  12:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Pixies Story (or how I surrendered to strange music)
Part 1

As I said before I played Trompe le Monde in a walkman and something insediously happened. I was coming back from school... But not the same anymore.
One year before, my sister brought from England a tape with cool and strange colors, and big eyes... That is good music she said. I did not mind. I was still more innocent than corrupted at that time. Then came a summer holiday. I fell in love (with my cousin). It was annoying. I was romantic. I wanted some music. In Slovenia I bought "Angel Dust" by Faith no More (my first rock music album, not bad for a start). I wanted something violent though I never heard anything satisfying yet. Then I bought a bootleg compilation tape (Mama mia studio). I asked for Hard Rock (I had a vague idea of the concept, it seemed violent). They gave me that tape with the Stones' Satisfaction, a Springsteen Song, ZZ Top covering Viva Las Vegas (I prefer the King's version), some Metallica (that poppy tune under sandman or whatever) some guns'n roses songs November Rain (listen to the end!) Don't you cry (I'm trying hard) Knocking on heaven's door (very beautiful song writing) and Nirvana, that famous tune, U know... and cum as you ahrrr (I later discovered that the so groovy and cool riff was a pure ripp-off of the song Eighteen by Killing Joke (Album Night Time, 1986, I think)).
Ok that was cool, I listen to that bach for a while... Not violent, not sexy, that was pop music... Then as my sister left home for university I found in her stuff that tape with eyes. Trompe le Monde. The Pixies. Was it french? I put it in my bag. A usual day passed away and in the evening I came back home with some new friends, obviously not french. The first chords of Trompe le Monde said "hello, we are living, who the hell are you". I could not reply, I was not paralysed, I was not stunned. I was feeling good. I wanted to run... I'm still running. That tape became MY tape. My substitute for love, drug and all those silly things that do not TASTE good.
Then I became elitistic, I always was, I still am. I was exclusively listenning to the Pixies for 2 long years.
I was definitely accepting that I was different and
that I belong to the elected for whom beauty means only beauty.

HW
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  02:01:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great story
funny enough
it looks a bit like my story

when I was a kid
(I was 7 when trompe came out)
say something between 7-11, I don't know anymore
I used to search for cool artwork in my dads cd collection
Obviously I couldn't see all the cd's my dad had so I scanned through
all the titles, you know not the front or back of the cd but the rightside of the cd case
Trompe's one was green with a weird rocket
I took the whole package and saw some weird eyes and in booklett weird photo's and nice drawings.
Great stuff
Still in my Queen-Beatles phase I didn't actually listen to it
maybe I did but I can't remember it anyway
my dad had it so I must have heard it sometime in 91 when I was 7

Years later in 1999 I was about to turn 15 in november
I was into Nirvana, more because the girl I fancied was into them
and the music was great, I bought a book for 3 dollar about Nirvana
'Come as you are' and read it with great interest
Pixies were all over the place as where Sebadoh and Devo, Husker Du and stuff
I began to wonder: am I worshipping the wrong band?
Meanwhile a math teachter (who was also the brother of a band I had at the time) who
knew my Nirvana-mania said that he listened to the pixies, they were like nirvana but better
and more beautiful. Pixies??? Mmmm, must check that out
It must have been april or may 1999 and I said to my dad: what about the pixies, do you know them?
Dad (45/46 years old): Know them? Ohh yeah I got an album of them
I searched for it and I thought: Hey that's that album with the cool artwork
I slipped in the disc and holy god, the rest is history
They were from another planet
I wanted to know everything about them
My dad and brother said they read that the singer of the pixies had a solo album
with the catholics, however I thought they said caddilacs, but that's another story
That summer I picked up Pistelero, I loved it, not instantly like most of Trompe
but still
I was 14 with the bands to discover Pixies and the Catholics
amazing time
I wish I could do it one more time
every time I bought something from the backcatalog I became more and more a fan

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2004 :  03:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back when I was at college, my brothers' friend lent me some albums he had been listening to for a while. He knew I played a little, but was stuck in a rut. I needed some inspiration and something else to play along to, I was pretty bored with my own collection at this point.
Me being stupid me, I never got round to listening to them. Other hobbies got in the way...college stuff.

The day I was suppose to give the songs back, I thought I best play them at least once, after all he did do me a favour by bringing me new music. Skipping through each track to try and get the gist of each album, I was nearly done. Then I put on the green one, and it never got skipped. Not one damn second. This is music. Trompe Le Monde. The Pixies. Wow!
The cds were returned a day or two late, I had to listen to this new music until every chord and note was absorbed.
In the collection was Doolittle and Copper Blue by Sugar. I've never looked back. Until now.

Trompe Le Monde will always be one of my favourite songs
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  03:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On campus years ago, I once saw a girl who had "Why do cupids and angels continually haunt her dreams like memories of another life?" painted on her shirt. In capitals even. That was pretty cool.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  03:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, kudos to that girl. one of my favourite lyrics ever
Go to Top of Page

kool-aid
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  16:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off topic, but the Joey's riff during the 2nd part of the 1st verse is one of the coolest things in existence

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  05:03:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

On campus years ago, I once saw a girl who had "Why do cupids and angels continually haunt her dreams like memories of another life?" painted on her shirt. In capitals even. That was pretty cool.

every cool girl should wear such a shirt
a boy can't though
''is painted on HER shirt in capitols''

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  20:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi... I really suck at this but I think two reelers has a point.

Maybe if we all put or heads together on this...does any one know how to crack frank's codes?

I highlighted the words in yellow that seem suspect due to repition or just the way they are worded isn't typical.

Then, I tranksated the song backwards... I didn't really see anyting but maybe some one else will... I think there is something to this and if we could figure it out... it would be soo cool!

Thanks everyone!!

Why do cupids and angels
continually haunt her dreams
like memories of another life
is painted on her shirt in capitalout on the free free way
there's only she an the they
represented by the lights
we went to the store and bought something great
which samples this song from washington state
go
go little record go
it is named by
some guy named joe
and the words
are the letters of the words

said
electrically played
for outer space and those of they who paid
this song is twice ocurred
and now its time to go
away on holiday.

Yadiloh no yawa
Og ot emit sti won dna
Derruco eciwt si gnos siht
Diap ohw yeht fo esoht dna ecaps retuo rof
Deyalp yllacirtcele
Disa
Sdrow eht fo srettel eht era
Sdrow eht dna
Eoj deman yug emos
Yb deman si ti
Og drocer elttil og
Og
Etats notgnihsaw morf gnos siht selpmas
Taerg gnihtemos thguob dna erots eh tot tnew ew
Sthgil eht yb detneserper
Yeht eht na ehs ylno s’ereht
Yaw eerf eerf eht no tuo
Latipac ni trihs reh no detniap si
Efil rehtona fo seiromem ekil
Smaerd reh tnuah yllaunitnoc
Slegna dna sdipuc od yhw

The reason why I bolded the letters above... it just didn't seem typical of Frank's writing style.

Do you think they included the last two lines just in case they wanted to get back together in the long run and make it seem planned? Or do you really think something else is going on???

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 12/06/2004 20:45:18
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  01:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, daisy. i think it is worth to try, altough i don't have the patience for such things. but it is really an outstanding song, and i also think there is something underneath it. also, it is the first song on the album, and it is called as the album. "and the words are the letters of the words" - it is very obvious.
don't we have somebody from the FBI among us ?

Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  03:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's FB's trail of breadcrums, leading us to the peak of Mt Shasta!!!!!!!!!!1

The Organic Anti-Beat Box Boy
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  17:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks two reelers. Does anyone have any idea how frank has hidden messages in the past? If we know that, maybe we can test the pattern out on this one.....where's mulder and skully when you need 'em?

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 12/07/2004 17:37:24
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  19:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I can get you Mulder And Scully

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  20:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Why do cupids and angels continually haunt her dreams like memories of another life?"

Anyone know where that line comes from? Why's it on t-shirts? The internet turns up nothing...

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
Go to Top of Page

Shastasheen
- FB Fan -

62 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  04:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Shastasheen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We, as Pixies fans, need to figure out all the encrypted meanings to CT's lyrics. They are endless, just like his mind ("like an ocean")
I have been doing this for the past couple of years, and it truly never ends. Together we can put together the puzzle pieces...uh...together
Try to figure them out!

HInts:
Who is Nimrod?
Who is Nimrod's son?
"They call me The Snake"
The Happening; Area 51
Velouria: Lemuria, Ancient Civilization of Intelligent Reptiles. Was a huge continent in the Pacific; "How does Lemur skin reflect the sea?" (The pacific sea west of California = Mu or Lemouria)
Velvety: (Thunder)Cat-girl, same as Velouria; Velour and Velvet mean same thing; Describes the short peach fuzz fur-skin of this genetically engineered real being from Le Muria who Charles encounters on Mount Shasta, California eiher physically or in a dream/hypnotic trance. "I can see the tears of Shasta-sheen" - tears = snowcaped peaks, sheen = sunshine. Mt. Shasta is a secret gov't mind control facility. Inside the mountain are non-human races interacting with american gov't. They genetically engineered a lot of races there (such as lizard-people, cat-people, etc.., and most are remnants from the Lemurian continent that was destroyed 100's of 1000's of yrs. ago

Much more later...

All I Am Are My Thoughts
Go to Top of Page

Black_francis_
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  05:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think i read somewhere that the biblical story of Nimrod is of a guy (called Nimrod) who got his mother pregnant and then was killed. and then nimrod got re-incarnated as the child therefore making him Nimrods son. im not sure if you were actually asking for an explanation but i thought i'd try anyway.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  06:22:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there was a city named nimrod
which has nothing to do with it

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:11:35  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of this is impossible I know (and silly/insane), but nonetheless, FB has mixed counting wordplay with his acrostics in several songs, including "Robert Onion" and "Valley of Our Hope", and it at least seems plausible here. The rest is just messin' around after a night of too little sleep and way too much coffee:

Why do cupids
And angels
Continually haunt her dreams like memories
Of another life”

IS painted on her shirt in CAPITALS
OUT on the free free way
THERE's only she and the they
represented by the lights?

We
Went to the store and bought something great
Which samples *this song* from
Washington state
(4)

Go,
Go little record
Go!”
(3)

(it is named
BY(e) some guy named
Joe
...and the words are the letters of the words)

Said electrically played for
Outer
Space and those of they who paid

*this song* is
(2) twice occurred

and now it’s time
to go away
(1!) on

holiday! (BLAST OFF!)

Is Mr. Black our own era's version of Nostradamus? ;) Seriously though, can someone check if there is any backmasking on this one? Also, I know my acrostics are a mess, so any corrections would be great.

*and no, I'm not a Waco nut, it just stuck out. ;)

edit:
Nevermind. Jop's right, there were 2 go's, even though for some reason I heard 3, and the liner notes have 3. Maybe it's in the alternate version of Trompe.

Maybe someone else will try.

Edited by - apl4eris on 12/22/2004 11:53:27
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  00:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
apl4eris, i think this is really great. WACO IS OUT THERE makes me laugh. btw, when did this Waco thing happen ?.

honestly, i think this counting is some point. the word "twice" doesn't fit at all in here, there should be some other meaning - maybe counting .
and no matter if it is meant like this, but i like the idea of the apocalyptic concept. a lot.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  01:57:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

Go,
Go little record
Go!”
(3)

I think there are only two go's
go little record go

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  11:56:10  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

apl4eris, i think this is really great. WACO IS OUT THERE makes me laugh. btw, when did this Waco thing happen ?.

honestly, i think this counting is some point. the word "twice" doesn't fit at all in here, there should be some other meaning - maybe counting .
and no matter if it is meant like this, but i like the idea of the apocalyptic concept. a lot.
Yeah, it's pretty silly isn't it? I dunno, I'm sure I must be wrong on that part. Waco happened in 1993, and I don't remember there being any public knowledge of the "Branch Davidian Cult" before that. This is a timeline once it became a standoff, starting in '93:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/waco/timeline.html

Of course we know "Trompe le Monde" was released a few years before that. I wonder, if that first part is right, if "Waco" has some other, maybe Biblical, reference?

Jop - shoot, it sounded like 3 go's to me in my caffeine OD'd state, and the alec eiffel site has 3, and the lyrics sheet. All I can say is it must be in the other version of TLM... ;)

Edited by - apl4eris on 12/22/2004 11:56:45
Go to Top of Page

Perk
- FB Fan -

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  19:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the song is about JIMMY HENDRIX
A lot of references to songs he recorded.

Don't sweat the petty things
and don't pet the sweaty things
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  01:25:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and what are these references perk?

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  06:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It is named by some guy named Joe". Apparently, Joey came up with the album title, so that seems pretty obvious..."I went to the store and bought something great, which samples this song from Washington State"-a reference to the Seattle scene? Or maybe the Hendrix connection makes more sense(He was, of course, from Seattle). "And now it's time to go away on holiday"....what, split up and reform? Or maybe that's taking it too far.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  09:51:48  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hendrix also covers Chuck Berry's "Johnny B Goode"
..."Go, Johnny, go! Go!" ("Go, go little record, go") and so "this song is twice occurred"?

Edited by - apl4eris on 12/23/2004 09:58:59
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  11:56:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
everybody recorded Johnny B Goode
or ripped it off
so that would have been
this song occurred a zillion times

Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  18:35:29  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
i think i read somewhere that the biblical story of Nimrod is of a guy (called Nimrod) who got his mother pregnant and then was killed. and then nimrod got re-incarnated as the child therefore making him Nimrods son.

I think all the Bible actually says about him is that he was "a mighty hunter before the Lord." There were plenty of other legends about him, though. I think that one legend actually makes him the inventor of the Christmas tree, which is appropriate for this time of year.

As for "The Snake," I believe Frank's Chinese zodiac sign is the Snake (as is mine).

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000