Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  12:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I DID NOT like this one way back then...kinda got away from FB after this. You guys have since shown me the error of my ways! Thanks for getting me back on track!
I LOVE - I Switched You, Smoke Up, 85 Weeks, You're Such a Wire, So. Bay....Great Stuff!
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  12:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WESTERN STAR!!!!
I LOVE YOUR BRAIN!!!!
(how could I forget these?)
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  13:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most consistently hard rocking and loud album Frank has put out that doesn't have the word "Pixies" on the spine. It's got everything. The scream, fast tempos, weird little chord progressions and song structures ("Billy Radcliffe"!), some "love gone wrong" lyrics, some "what the heck's this about?" lyrics.

From the night I heard about half these songs for the first time at a Catholics show in Feb. 1999 (about two months before the album release... and the absolute best, sweatiest, most synapse-rearrangeing Frank show I have STILL ever seen), I knew it would be great, and it did not disappoint. I loved this record from day one.

Even the cover art, I think, is the best of Frank and Jean's homemade concoctions.
Go to Top of Page

mantaraysallright
- FB Fan -

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  14:29:06  Show Profile  Visit mantaraysallright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

It's all about the music of course, but I think the album art can kind of influence how the record sounds to you, no?

In this digital age, I think it sucks that album artwork is almost forgotten. With CD's it turned so small that that almost didn't matter, and now with iPODs and whatnots, it's not really a part of the music at all.

I can agree with this, I think album art is pretty important (even though not crucial). I would recommend the new iTunes to anyone who feels this way because they have ways of viewing and categorizing your music by album cover. Awesome feature.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  04:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its all preference, but nowdays I barely listen to any post-Pixies Frank (Frank in general i suppose). At the moment I cant stand Americana-type rock, which is the genre Frank has committed to. I can apreciate the quality of the music, and I dont hate it in any way, but it comes off to me as pretty tame music. And Pistolero encompasses the most in my opinion.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/Super_Happy_Site

Perhaps the greatest forum on earth
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  05:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pistolero = Americana??

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  06:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really the most obvious word that springs to mind!
Go to Top of Page

RussT
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  09:28:29  Show Profile  Click to see RussT's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like Western Star, but this has always been my least favourite Catholics album. I just don't think the songs are all that strong. DITS is about 1000 times better. Almost never listen to this one.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  10:34:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RussT

I like Western Star, but this has always been my least favourite Catholics album. I just don't think the songs are all that strong. DITS is about 1000 times better. Almost never listen to this one.

ditto

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  10:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Originally posted by RussT

ditto

Amen.

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  10:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me three four, although I like it better than Show Me Your Tears.

"I'll be too busy lookin' good."

Edited by - BLT on 11/30/2006 10:39:29
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  08:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pistolero = Zuma
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  16:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only one person mentioned Smoke Up??

Smoke Up is STRONG!!!!!! the chorus would probably be one of my top 5 all time Frank hooks
Go to Top of Page

HeroJuan
- FB Fan -

37 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  20:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quite like, and often listen to:

Western Star
Smoke Up
Bad Harmony
So Bay
and Tiny Heart

great album. took me a few listens to appreciate it
Go to Top of Page

MHokkane
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  18:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The end of "So Hard To Make Things Out" is SO GOOD. I love how it just picks up out of nowhere.
Go to Top of Page

Wee Mac
- FB Fan -

35 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  10:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"So Hard To Make Things Out" - rocks. I love the dueling (well that what it sounds like to me) lead/rhythm guitars. And as for the change of pace alluded to in the previous post....mmmmmmmmm. On a final note - is this the longest song he's done?
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  16:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that little transition in "So Hard To Make Things Out" is so great

the whole transition from the hard rocking to the slower part

when people say "loud quiet loud" - this is in part what they are referring to but it is over simplifying in my opinion because it's not like everything just drops out alltogether - there is a transition there that is magical - when you hear it you think "how did he do that?"

sort of like - the transition in "Sad Punk" - or ........... what are some other examples?
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  18:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"So Hard To Make Things Out", is indeed incredible. It's kind of like three for the price of one.

The solo performance from the "live @ the Barfly" video really exemplifies how much of a kickass song it really is.

"If you're coming out with big plains
To find some paradise
Well there's nothing
Here to do but limboing"

-Tom

Edited by - martha_promise on 12/13/2006 18:09:07
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  18:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is this "live @ the barfly" video of which you speak - can you point me to it?
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  19:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a pro-shot "bootleg" of around 45 minutes of Frank tearing it up with his bullet hole guitar (takamine?). I believe it's DITS/ pre BLD/DW era.

I think I got it from the now defunked fb ftp. Fellow fb/fan Soren sent it to me it on a d.v.d., as at the time I was not sure how to burn from 'Real Media format'. Shoot me an e-mail, and I can probably get it to you.

-Tom

Edited by - martha_promise on 12/13/2006 19:41:00
Go to Top of Page

Wee Mac
- FB Fan -

35 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  06:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance of uploading to dime or some other filehost? I'm addicted to anything 'Solo-Frank'!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  07:06:50  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't mind uploading it. In fact, I am have. Should be here in an hour, Mac.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z39zsv

Edited by - fbc on 12/16/2006 08:05:18
Go to Top of Page

Wee Mac
- FB Fan -

35 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  10:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christmas comes early.

Many thanks fbc

Now I'm just waiting for Christmass :-)
Go to Top of Page

Wee Mac
- FB Fan -

35 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  11:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow
Go to Top of Page

Flangepipe
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  14:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow indeed, anyone know where I can get hold of the version of 21 reasons from DITS session he mentions .... would be mighty fine indeedy.
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  21:18:08  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't believe no one mentioned "I Love Your Brain". That one rocks like a sonafabitch!!!

"Bad Harmony" is great, as are "I Switched You", "I Think I'm Starting To Lose It" and "So. Bay". Great album. Sort of the black sheep of the Catholics albums, but it's excellent, really. I put it on recently, and enjoyed it very much. One of those albums that's great to listen to once in a while.

(As an aside, I saw a used copy of "Teenager..." at my local FYE the other day for $5.99. I felt bad for it, like I wanted to give it a good home. And I would've, if I didn't already own it. I just can't imagine why such a good album was in the used bin. It's rare that a Pixies or Frank album ends up like that.)

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  16:30:33  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's all about 85 weeks. Fantastic song.
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  19:09:25  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, sorry, I see someone DID mention "I Love Your Brain". But still, only one person besides me? C'mon, that song rules!!! ;)

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

cellar_door
- FB Fan -

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  09:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow people think this album has weak songs ? I was going to say that it's one of the most complete albums FB has released. Man I guess we all tick differently.

I was a hawk and I just flew...yeah
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  10:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's one of the first things I noticed when I joined this forum, cellar_door. A lot of the differences, I'm discovering, have to do with whether you're a musician (especially a guitar player) or not. The guitar players seem to go for a lot of different songs than some of the rest of us. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
Go to Top of Page

cellar_door
- FB Fan -

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  12:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what do you think of it coastline ?

I play bass and guitar, mind you not well. Lord knows I need to find time to get back into it.

I was a hawk and I just flew...yeah
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  13:10:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockmusic84

Oh, sorry, I see someone DID mention "I Love Your Brain". But still, only one person besides me? C'mon, that song rules!!! ;)

I sort of did, when I said "it fucking rocks". I meant all of it, "I Love Your Brain" included.

Perfect 'washing up' music.

Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  00:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It fucking rocks. I'm going to put it on right now! And now I even love the album art. I didn't know it was home made before.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  00:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh wait, I need to listen to Christmass again while I fold my laundry first. Pistolero rocks too hard for chores.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  01:57:45  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my cups have never been so clean. i might even do the windows </hmm...contemplates>
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000