Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mike Rutherford
- FB Fan -

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  23:18:30  Show Profile  Click to see Mike Rutherford's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just curious as this album seems to be one of those that fans either hardcore love or dislike. Me personally, I think it's AMAZING. I LOVE IT. It's raw, it's emotional and anyone whom can't relate to a song like "tiny heart" has obviously lived a much different life as I. So what is the consensus here on "pistolero"?

My Velouria
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  00:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it has great songs and poorer ones...I can read everywhere that his first half is great in opposite with his second half. Personnally, I think So hard to make things out is one of the masterpiece of the album and Billy Radcliffe is a great short song. Lots of people dislike 85 weeks or Such a wire, personnaly I really like them. Just the last songs are disapointing to me (I love Rock'n'roll, I think I'm starting to lose it...).
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  01:57:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So.Bay is one of his best songs
reminds me of the Sad Punk

"I joined the Cult of Serge/'Cause he invented indierock before Frank did"
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  02:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love this album.... does have a few weak tracks though... I love Bad Harmony, So Hard to Make Things Out, I Switched You, I Want Rock N Roll, Billy Radcliffe, So. Bay. Not so keen on 85 Weeks, Tiny Heart (sorry Mike), I Think I'm Starting to Lose It, which bore me a little.

Just the good ole boys, never meaning no harm,
that all you ever saw
been in trouble with the law,
since the day they were born
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  08:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
second favorite record, right after DITS. Amazing.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  10:52:09  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
So what is the consensus here on "pistolero"?

I don't think there is one.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  13:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE this record!!!!!!!!!!!!1 It is definitely one of the greatest rock and roll albums of all time (right up there with Ram On by Paul McCartney). The amount of emotion, as Mike calls it, on this album is incredible. I can't say it's my favorite Frank Black album, but at at times, when I'm in certain moods, it is.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  06:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also really like Pistolero, especially Your Such A Wire and I Want R&R and Skeleton Man.

Free the Heel!
Go to Top of Page

just_give_me_a_reason
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  09:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skeleton Man rocks - great vocal, great guitar

"So. Bay" "Western Star" "Billy Radcliffe" and "I think I'm starting to Lose it" are all good too. The rest of it... is a bit sub-par to be honest. There's a lot of coded personal songs on Pistolero, lot's of instances of "I", and it isn't (with the exception of "Billy Radcliffe") very Mythical which is what Frank is best at - the mythical life and/or death of a character e.g. The Swimmer, Holiday Song, King and Queen of Siam, All my Ghosts, Superabound, Manitoba.... those are the lyrics I admire and no-one else does 'em. They're hard to do (and 85 weeks is a failed attempt IMHO). I reckon Franks' weaker songs (and don't get me wrong - I think most of these are like manna) are ones where he attempts to elevate the everyday stuff to the lyrical and sometimes it just doesn't sound as cool as the freaky third-person animal-perspective landscaped evolutionary primal sci-fi epic god death yeti stuff. There are too many of the personal-type songs on pistolero I think.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  10:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see someone said Western star.

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  10:49:23  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love this album as well...It may well be my favorite FB album. Who am I kidding I can't choose one. The only thing that made me sad about this album was the fact that I found it in a bargain bin when I worked at Sunrise records. I was pissed. You wouldn't believe the crap it was shoved in with.

He is in the music business, he is calling you DUDE!
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  12:17:46  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it always annoys me when I see really good albums in the bargain bins. I guess if it gets someone else into the band, though, that's good.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  13:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorites are 85 Weeks and South Bay. Both a lot of fun to play along with on guitar. You can crank that amp the f-up on So. Bay, too.
-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  13:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this album, really, has a lot of good songs...my favorite is Western Star

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  21:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree, Pistolero is a great album. I love every song on it.
"So hard to make things out", "I think I'm starting to lose it", and "I switched you" are very special songs to me.
I play them as loud as I can and get out my hankies. Man, those songs really tear at my insides.

Frank Black, Rock and Roll like it ought to be!
Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  01:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great great album, no weak links at all.

(( I talk plain talk ))
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  15:33:18  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I never thought this album really cut it. Too much filler and the Catholics are still trying to find their groove. Dog in the Sand, BLD and SMYT are the quintesential Catholics albums.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  03:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SMYT for sure.
Go to Top of Page

ispini tapaidh
- FB Fan -

Ireland
122 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  05:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never ceases to amaze me how many people don't rate Pistolero.
I think it's a cracking album.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  11:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This album makes me so very happy. Always has.

It fucking rocks, people!

When's the next Catholics CD coming out? When are they
hitting the road?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  12:50:41  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Never ceases to amaze me how many people don't rate Pistolero.

They do. They just don't rate it very highly. <g>

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  02:31:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote

As the years roll by, this one just gets better and better

Edited by - fbc on 11/26/2006 02:55:05
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  04:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just seeing the cover makes me excited!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  06:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just seeing this thread makes me depressed!

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  06:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pistolero=Zuma.
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  07:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got Pistolero right after getting the orange album and TOTY, and i hated it. I got more catholics albums and it all came together. Now i couldn't live without it!
Thank you Pistolero.

@ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  07:36:19  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as a wise one once said, "It fucking rocks, people!"

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  08:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I want on this site is an archive of photos like that.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  12:23:58  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my favourite Catholics album without a doubt.....rocks hard from start to finish!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  13:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pistolero comeletely rocks! I love every song on it! I love playing Pistolero and then BLD after it ... it just seem like the two albums go perfectly into each other.
Go to Top of Page

mantaraysallright
- FB Fan -

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  14:33:35  Show Profile  Visit mantaraysallright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love Pistolero, I doubt I would call it my favorite (because I don't think I could rate any Catholics album) but a damn good one. I don't listen to it as much as say, Self Titled Catholics but whenever I do I'm happy I did. (this thread inspired to put it on instead of DW which was stuck in my head all day).
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  01:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yo soy un Pistolero, you got me shakin' in my boots!

It's the best. But I have to admit, until I just saw the album art blown up in the picture in this thread, I had no idea that the album art had bullets in the background. I thought it was just some cheesy photoshoped album art like most of the Catholics records.

What gives with that? Aside from Bossanova, the Pixies always had great album art. The first 2 (maybe 3) FB solo albums had great album art. But the Catholics? Apologies to whoever did the art, because I'm sure they worked hard on it, but to me it's pretty lame. The only decent Catholics album cover to me is BLD. The rest look like they were made in an hour in photoshop with pre-installed fonts or something. Ugh. Maybe this is a seperate topic.

And then after the Catholics the art is great too! Honeycomb? Nice. Fastman Raiderman? Classic. Were the Cahotlics covers lame on purpose? Doesn anyone think they're great pieces of art? Oddballs is OK, but reminds me of Oingo Boingo or something.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

mantaraysallright
- FB Fan -

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  02:26:12  Show Profile  Visit mantaraysallright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the DITS cover
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  02:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I quite like the SMYT cover.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  03:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, DITS cover is pretty good. It's a photo of The Band. Which was a pretty awesome and cool looking band at the time, and the album cover captured it perfectly.

I like the SMYT cover as well. But it still has that kind of cheesy look about it. I'm kind of romantic about the days when album covers were on vinyl records, and the album art was almost just as important as the music (well, close anyway). On a big ass 12" record cover, you can really look at the artwork and enjoy it. I just think the Catholics albums (DITS excepted) are kind of cheesy looking.

It's all about the music of course, but I think the album art can kind of influence how the record sounds to you, no?

In this digital age, I think it sucks that album artwork is almost forgotten. With CD's it turned so small that that almost didn't matter, and now with iPODs and whatnots, it's not really a part of the music at all.

If you've ever seen a vinyl version of "7th Dream Of Teenage Heaven" by Love 'n' Rockets on vinyl, it's a good example of how much an album cover can influence how the music sounds. The cover is very blue, but if you just buy it on CD or download it, I don't think it has the same impact on how it sounds when you listen to it.

========
jeffamerica
========

Edited by - Jefrey on 11/28/2006 03:21:58
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  11:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually BOUGHT my Pistolero out of a bargain bin. After DITS came out. With COR, only albums I didn't buy upon release. "I Love Your Brain" even skips (actually don't think I've ever heard that song without the skip).

That said, one of my 3 favorite albums. FB classics:

Western Star
Tiny Heart
So Hard to Make Things Out
85 Weeks

Classics, people! I can understand not liking FB, but if you do like FB, how can you not love 85 Weeks? makes no sense. And how bout some love for Smoke Up, another rocker.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000