-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Pistolero

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mike Rutherford Posted - 10/15/2004 : 23:18:30
Just curious as this album seems to be one of those that fans either hardcore love or dislike. Me personally, I think it's AMAZING. I LOVE IT. It's raw, it's emotional and anyone whom can't relate to a song like "tiny heart" has obviously lived a much different life as I. So what is the consensus here on "pistolero"?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
benji Posted - 03/29/2013 : 18:45:17
a grand idea bringing this thread back from the dead.

and here a rough mix of the album that has done the rounds here a few times.
first in mp3:
https://mega.co.nz/#!Jh4FxJpK!QJVz20uiAm2s5yR8M_k7NCSLAycu4aEIsHisAW5JB68

and also in flac:
https://mega.co.nz/#!okgSWJDD!Q0t7RhGmqSewz863l_oJZGqeC7x2YyU02b6iaPgvpsw

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Jose Jones Posted - 03/29/2013 : 16:40:59
i've been obsessed with Pistolero lately. i just listen to it over and over.

and over and over. man, i can't get enough of it.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
trobrianders Posted - 03/13/2013 : 11:04:33
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

I'll make it easier for you. Meet me HERE at 2PM. Don't be late.

6 years on and I'm still thanking you for this one Soren.

danjersey Posted - 03/13/2013 : 04:49:33
In keeping with papal tradition I declare "smoke up" song of the week
fbc Posted - 02/03/2007 : 04:34:25
I'll make it easier for you. Meet me HERE at 2PM. Don't be late.
trobrianders Posted - 02/03/2007 : 03:40:41
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

I don't mind uploading it. In fact, I am have. Should be here in an hour, Mac.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z39zsv

Live @ the Barfly.

Damn, late again! Again?

pixiestu Posted - 02/01/2007 : 14:05:51
I must've listened to the acoustic demos at least 10 times more than the second disc. Although thinking about it now, there are some pretty decent versions on there. Cactus, Velouria and Into the White stand out for me.

"The arc of triumph"
fbc Posted - 02/01/2007 : 09:43:08
I wouldn't know. That disc doesn't really float my boat. But the "Sing For Your Supper" demos, that's my kind of Pixies.
coastline Posted - 02/01/2007 : 09:37:45
I think it's designed as a soundtrack for an acid trip. And since I haven't tripped in nearly a decade, I haven't bothered with listening to that whole song. Is there anything interesting past minute 7 or 8, fbc?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
fbc Posted - 02/01/2007 : 09:15:10
Has anybody actually listened to that 'Planet of Sound' from start to finish? Woah!
pixiestu Posted - 02/01/2007 : 08:59:46
Yeah the FBF Planet of Sound is even longer than Surf Epic by nearly 5 minutes.

"The arc of triumph"
PixieSteve Posted - 02/01/2007 : 03:13:53
there a several album tracks that are longer as well... blast off is the longest i think. or the FBF planet of sound..

FAST_MAN  RAIDER_MAN - June 19th
VoVat Posted - 01/31/2007 : 22:23:21
quote:
"So Hard To Make Things Out" - rocks. I love the dueling (well that what it sounds like to me) lead/rhythm guitars. And as for the change of pace alluded to in the previous post....mmmmmmmmm. On a final note - is this the longest song he's done?

Well, no, "Surf Epic" is definitely longer. Maybe some others are as well, but I don't feel like investigating right now.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Karissa551 Posted - 01/20/2007 : 00:28:00
quote:
Originally posted by ispini tapaidh

I think it's a cracking album.

At the end, "think" doesn't matter at all.

Ogden florists
- Scuba Diving South pacific
houstonguthrie Posted - 01/05/2007 : 16:44:24
On the Pistolero tip - my girlfriend is a real bigtime rocker. I mean she likes the real heavy rock stuff. Her favorite band is Tool for example. Well I've been trying to get her into Frank for sometime. And she likes the rockers...ala.."Men In Black" but she would never be down for "Selkie Bride" for example if youknowwhatimsayin

anyways this thread reminded me about this album and it occured to me that I hadn't played many of these in some time -not only for her but for myself. Well "Smoke Up" "Rock and Roll" and "Hard To Make Things Out" were all right up her alley. as well as others. This thread reintroduced me to that album that I had forgotten that I loved so much - and may have finally broken through to Miss Manson.

fbc Posted - 01/05/2007 : 01:57:45
my cups have never been so clean. i might even do the windows </hmm...contemplates>
Jefrey Posted - 01/05/2007 : 00:27:05
Oh wait, I need to listen to Christmass again while I fold my laundry first. Pistolero rocks too hard for chores.

========
jeffamerica
========
Jefrey Posted - 01/05/2007 : 00:26:09
It fucking rocks. I'm going to put it on right now! And now I even love the album art. I didn't know it was home made before.

========
jeffamerica
========
fbc Posted - 01/04/2007 : 13:10:20
quote:
Originally posted by rockmusic84

Oh, sorry, I see someone DID mention "I Love Your Brain". But still, only one person besides me? C'mon, that song rules!!! ;)

I sort of did, when I said "it fucking rocks". I meant all of it, "I Love Your Brain" included.

Perfect 'washing up' music.

cellar_door Posted - 01/04/2007 : 12:08:41
So what do you think of it coastline ?

I play bass and guitar, mind you not well. Lord knows I need to find time to get back into it.

I was a hawk and I just flew...yeah
coastline Posted - 01/04/2007 : 10:58:47
That's one of the first things I noticed when I joined this forum, cellar_door. A lot of the differences, I'm discovering, have to do with whether you're a musician (especially a guitar player) or not. The guitar players seem to go for a lot of different songs than some of the rest of us. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
cellar_door Posted - 01/04/2007 : 09:50:36
Wow people think this album has weak songs ? I was going to say that it's one of the most complete albums FB has released. Man I guess we all tick differently.

I was a hawk and I just flew...yeah
rockmusic84 Posted - 01/03/2007 : 19:09:25
Oh, sorry, I see someone DID mention "I Love Your Brain". But still, only one person besides me? C'mon, that song rules!!! ;)

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
stymie Posted - 01/03/2007 : 16:30:33
It's all about 85 weeks. Fantastic song.
rockmusic84 Posted - 01/01/2007 : 21:18:08
I can't believe no one mentioned "I Love Your Brain". That one rocks like a sonafabitch!!!

"Bad Harmony" is great, as are "I Switched You", "I Think I'm Starting To Lose It" and "So. Bay". Great album. Sort of the black sheep of the Catholics albums, but it's excellent, really. I put it on recently, and enjoyed it very much. One of those albums that's great to listen to once in a while.

(As an aside, I saw a used copy of "Teenager..." at my local FYE the other day for $5.99. I felt bad for it, like I wanted to give it a good home. And I would've, if I didn't already own it. I just can't imagine why such a good album was in the used bin. It's rare that a Pixies or Frank album ends up like that.)

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Flangepipe Posted - 12/16/2006 : 14:42:14
Wow indeed, anyone know where I can get hold of the version of 21 reasons from DITS session he mentions .... would be mighty fine indeedy.
Wee Mac Posted - 12/16/2006 : 11:17:24
Wow
Wee Mac Posted - 12/16/2006 : 10:06:54
Christmas comes early.

Many thanks fbc

Now I'm just waiting for Christmass :-)
fbc Posted - 12/16/2006 : 07:06:50
I don't mind uploading it. In fact, I am have. Should be here in an hour, Mac.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z39zsv
Wee Mac Posted - 12/16/2006 : 06:46:24
Any chance of uploading to dime or some other filehost? I'm addicted to anything 'Solo-Frank'!
martha_promise Posted - 12/13/2006 : 19:39:49
It's a pro-shot "bootleg" of around 45 minutes of Frank tearing it up with his bullet hole guitar (takamine?). I believe it's DITS/ pre BLD/DW era.

I think I got it from the now defunked fb ftp. Fellow fb/fan Soren sent it to me it on a d.v.d., as at the time I was not sure how to burn from 'Real Media format'. Shoot me an e-mail, and I can probably get it to you.

-Tom
houstonguthrie Posted - 12/13/2006 : 18:25:06
what is this "live @ the barfly" video of which you speak - can you point me to it?
martha_promise Posted - 12/13/2006 : 18:07:52
"So Hard To Make Things Out", is indeed incredible. It's kind of like three for the price of one.

The solo performance from the "live @ the Barfly" video really exemplifies how much of a kickass song it really is.

"If you're coming out with big plains
To find some paradise
Well there's nothing
Here to do but limboing"

-Tom
houstonguthrie Posted - 12/13/2006 : 16:30:42
that little transition in "So Hard To Make Things Out" is so great

the whole transition from the hard rocking to the slower part

when people say "loud quiet loud" - this is in part what they are referring to but it is over simplifying in my opinion because it's not like everything just drops out alltogether - there is a transition there that is magical - when you hear it you think "how did he do that?"

sort of like - the transition in "Sad Punk" - or ........... what are some other examples?
Wee Mac Posted - 12/12/2006 : 10:46:04
"So Hard To Make Things Out" - rocks. I love the dueling (well that what it sounds like to me) lead/rhythm guitars. And as for the change of pace alluded to in the previous post....mmmmmmmmm. On a final note - is this the longest song he's done?

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000