Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2024 :  09:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that’s a good clip. But I don’t mind the album version either

I think as far as live performances go, I’d rather hear a Dalgety-ized 2.0 song than Wave (either version) for the 600th time, but that’s just me.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
872 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2024 :  22:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find it totally weird they did not play any 2.0 songs at my show, besides Vegas Suite. I just...don't understand. If I made four new albums, I'd theoretically be proud of those and want to perform at least a few of those songs, if only to prove I still got the goods and I'm not just a nostalgia act, which I thought was one of Frank's concerns when it came to making new albums in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2447 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2024 :  12:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
f
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I think as far as live performances go, I’d rather hear a Dalgety-ized 2.0 song than Wave (either version) for the 600th time, but that’s just me.

Oh I agree on Wave... particularly how they do the 'UK Surf' version these days. Horribly slow pace.

I like 'You're So Impatient' but it's an appalling mix. Starts well but rapidly falls into 'Head Carrier' territory.

Plenty of 2.0 songs I'd like to hear in the live sets. 'Doggerel' issues aside, it's easy to think of a dozen songs that'd slot into the regular sets perfectly fine.

Perhaps a return to longer sets with future dates will bring a few more songs to the fore.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2024 :  18:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

f
quote:

Oh I agree on Wave... particularly how they do the 'UK Surf' version these days. Horribly slow pace.

I like 'You're So Impatient' but it's an appalling mix. Starts well but rapidly falls into 'Head Carrier' territory.

Plenty of 2.0 songs I'd like to hear in the live sets. 'Doggerel' issues aside, it's easy to think of a dozen songs that'd slot into the regular sets perfectly fine.

Perhaps a return to longer sets with future dates will bring a few more songs to the fore.

In listening to Impatient a few more times I really dig Joey's solo. It's kind of a surprising / unexpected bit of music there in my opinion.

I still would never in a million years consider this song a Pixies track, but how many times am I going to drone on about this? I wonder what all the high profile Pixies fans like Grohl and Yorke think about 2.0
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
872 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2024 :  07:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just feel like now that they've established they could do "catchy" accessible rock singles, now is the time to put out a really freaky weird aggressive and unpredictable Pixies track, give people a little taste of "they've still got it." Surprise everybody. They've got a new bassist, it's a brand new chapter. Go fucking nuts.

I don't think anybody, especially the more casual fan, is going to be bowled over by Impatient. It feels so half-hearted to me.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 06/23/2024 07:39:12
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

982 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2024 :  08:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think BF really cares anymore. He seems to go to the studio whenever Dalgety asks him every two or three years. I think the last time I felt some oomph from a Pixies record were the BTE demoes and that seemed to stem from some marital strife he was going through.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2024 :  09:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dream would be that Frank writes a song with the lyrics being from the forum talking about this topic
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1028 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2024 :  13:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My dream would be that Frank writes a song with the lyrics being from the forum talking about this topic

Please not, too many of the 2.0 lyrics are already a significant downgrade to 1.0 and FB solo/ Catholics.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
34 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2024 :  04:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i honestly feel that's not too far off from what bagboy is.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

982 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2024 :  09:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a theory that it is indeed a song about some fella who was annoying BF? He posted it here or on reddit but can't find it now.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6099 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2024 :  11:34:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I don't think BF really cares anymore. He seems to go to the studio whenever Dalgety asks him every two or three years. I think the last time I felt some oomph from a Pixies record were the BTE demoes and that seemed to stem from some marital strife he was going through.

And I'm always happy to point out that Dalgety produced those too

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

982 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2024 :  12:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fine but they're weren't embellished with too much bullshit. Anyway my main point was that BF was way more energetic in those songs.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2024 :  10:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set lists have been in groove lately. Death Horizon makes appearances in several shows which is cool
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
872 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2024 :  19:49:59  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

And I'm always happy to point out that Dalgety produced those too

He UNDER-produced those. And what a difference that made.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2024 :  20:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Set lists have been in groove lately. Death Horizon makes appearances in several shows which is cool

Death Horizon is just about the only 2.0. song that has survived on these new setlists. We're also looking at about 25 songs per show, which is far fewer than the generous ~38-40 songs that were standard a few years ago. On the other hand, thanks to the Bossa/Trompe tour we're seeing much more exciting inclusions from the 1.0. era and also the band are playing with more vigor and without the dull lulls of back-to-back 2.0. songs. Overall, I'm not sure I prefer these new setlists. But I'm not sure they're worse, either; taking the pros and cons into consideration turns out to be a wash.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2447 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2024 :  02:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

quote:

Death Horizon is just about the only 2.0. song that has survived on these new setlists. We're also looking at about 25 songs per show, which is far fewer than the generous ~38-40 songs that were standard a few years ago. On the other hand, thanks to the Bossa/Trompe tour we're seeing much more exciting inclusions from the 1.0. era and also the band are playing with more vigor and without the dull lulls of back-to-back 2.0. songs. Overall, I'm not sure I prefer these new setlists. But I'm not sure they're worse, either; taking the pros and cons into consideration turns out to be a wash.

The sets are shorter because of the number of bands on the bill this tour.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
590 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  07:55:47  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My theory on why there's practically no version 2.0 songs in this setlist is simply time and bandwidth.... do we know how long Emma had to learn songs before the Bosssanova/Trompe shows? Maybe she had a month... so the priority is learning those two albums. After that, learn the other classics that always get played in regular sets. Then... there's an entire new album of songs she's learnt and recorded, so there's that. That fills a show.

They drop songs from each 2.0 album as soon as a new one is out anyway, so after the new album is out it'll be all those songs, plus the classics. Maybe Death Horizon.... That'll fill the setlist.

I love version 2.0 and would want a couple songs from each album, but I get it. New bass player, only so many songs you can fit into a 90 minute set, she's really familiar with Bossanova/Trompe/New album songs/other version 1.0 classics.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
950 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  11:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe, but I imagine most of the songs would be pretty easy to learn. I think it's more likely a combination of the shorter setlists (aimed at a more general audience), and the fact that they generally haven't kept 2.0 songs in the setlists following an album-touring cycle (with All the Saints and Death Horizon as the most notable exceptions), and the Doggerel touring cycle wrapped up last year.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3057 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2024 :  14:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever the reasons are for them not playing 2.0 songs, I hope they will just start playing more 2.0 songs

And while I accept the meaninglessness of this, I will nonetheless say that I would go to more 2.0 concerts if they played more 2.0 songs and other weird stuff
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000