Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5453 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  22:54:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by glacial906
I know there are a few teachers on this board. If any of you (Darwin, Stuart) have any advice to give someone interested in teaching college-level history, please and by all means impart to me with your wisdom.

Hola from a westcoaster!!

I know nothing about how hard it is to find an academic job in history (I suspect it is very competitive), but I did a have a minor in US History. I love reading history.

I'm pretty cynical about finding a job in academics. I've had my PhD now for 6 years and I have always had pretty good jobs doing the research I like and working with good people at good universities. I can't complain. I'm paid to think and I do it whenever I want without anyone really watching over me. Being a post-doc is great, but one has to live with uncertainty about what they will be doing a few years down the line (I suppose post-docs aren't common in the social sciences). But, finding a tenure track job is hard, very hard. At least it is in ecology. It's very competitive with hundreds of applications for each job and with George Bush running the economy into the ground and staet budgets going into deficits there aren't many jobs being advertised this year and last year.

However, they keep saying the old professors that got jobs after WWII are going to retire and there is a second wave of students as the baby boomer's kids go off to college. So, maybe the market will improve.

Adjuct professors. I think at high quality schools one has to have a PhD to lecture at the university and often those jobs don't pay well and include only limited benefits. I've done a bit of that myself, but really the rise of more lecturers and few tenured faculty is a cost cutting move by the universities.

But to end a positive note, I once heard someone to say that a great thing about being in academics is that you get to work with smart people (usually) and we know that isn't generally true. And, the flexibility in time schedules is great.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  06:56:29  Show Profile
Ditto on that Year of the Rabbit CD picture. I've been listening to that alot lately. It's so good.

"Join the Cult of Mr. Potato Head / And You'll Have Buckets of Fun"
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  08:42:30  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by glacial906

I know there are a few teachers on this board. If any of you (Darwin, Stuart) have any advice to give someone interested in teaching college-level history, please and by all means impart to me with your wisdom.

I have a couple of friends who are history professors in tenure-track positions (as well as a few english, language & theatre professors), and the standard route is just to get your MA & PhD then get on out there. I'm a theatre historian, but I don't have my PhD yet and I really have little interest in getting it at this point--PhD programs will still be out there when I'm done raising this kid. At the liberal arts college where I occasionally teach there is about to be a huge faculty turnover; all the guys who were hired in the 70's are getting ready to retire. I don't have any friends in academia who have yet to be hired somewhere.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"

Edited by - mereubu on 10/26/2003 08:57:49
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  09:13:17  Show Profile
Was anyone else unable to post after 2 last night die to daylight savings? My comp clock is wack.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  14:08:05  Show Profile
Thanks Darwin and Sarah, for the advice. From my viewpoint, even teaching adjunct would be a big step up from the amount I make now. My older sister teaches six different English classes at two different schools right now (she just got out of graduate school) and she makes alot more than she is used to. (But, probably not much at all to a tenured professor who has been at a university for years.) I just need to decide if I want to go to quite a bit more college for a job where it is somewhat understood that I won't make a fortune, even if I get past the adjunct teaching and get tenure at a university somewhere. That means either luck out and find something better than Ruby Tuesday in the meantime, or suck it up and put up with it while I go to school for the next six or seven years.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  14:09:43  Show Profile
BTW, Sarah, you said you weren't really too concerned about getting your PhD right now. In your profession, does that considerably limit the jobs you are able to get at present?
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  14:44:05  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Yeah, I'm assuming that with a masters I can only teach adjunct, but I might be able to teach full time at a state school--it really depends on the college. I guess I could teach high school were I so inclined to get a teaching certificate, but mostly I'm a stay-at-home mama right now so it suits me fine. My husband's got decent benefits, so I'm able to put my academic career on the back burner for now. We're not financially prosperous by any means, but our current plan is to keep me out of the full-time workforce for as long as humanly possible.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"

Edited by - mereubu on 10/26/2003 14:45:34
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  14:47:28  Show Profile
I want to stay as far away from teaching high school as possible.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  15:08:34  Show Profile
me 3.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  15:46:03  Show Profile
540 represent

-------------------------
ain't it funny how the goes
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  16:19:29  Show Profile
Hey realmeanmotorscutor,

You ever on the IRC anymore? It's not very jumpin' these days, I'm afraid.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  16:44:06  Show Profile
you know, I tried to sign on last night but it wouldn't connect for some reason. This week is gonna be pretty busy but I'm gonna try to get on. If not this week definately next week. Are you on there a lot?

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  16:52:46  Show Profile
Not alot, but every few nights for the past couple of weeks or so. Did you download a trial version of Mirc, or if you're using a Mac, Snak? The one I downloaded stopped working after the trial version, but you can download again.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  16:58:59  Show Profile
I have Mirc but it doesn't run out. I don't remember where I got it but everytime I open it it says "this version of Mirc has not been updated for 92 days." I just click ok and it opens right up.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5453 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  17:29:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by realmeanmotorscutor

Was anyone else unable to post after 2 last night die to daylight savings? My comp clock is wack.

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Yeah I got a message saying that I was posting too often, and I needed to wait 30 seconds until I could post. Waiting, however, didn't work. I figured it was a daylight savings problem.
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  17:38:09  Show Profile
Was it about "flood control"? I get that message every so often. But usually you don't have to wait thirty seconds.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  17:46:15  Show Profile
yeah it was the flood control message. It must have thought we were trying to post 2 hours before our previous post which would, of course, be too soon to post again, hehe.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  20:39:36  Show Profile
aight, it's getting to be that time again. Late night and a dead board. Holla!!

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  20:50:45  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
It's murda!

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  20:58:46  Show Profile
It's the Wolf Man Mike Lonely in the hizzy!!

That name just sounds like an MC's, don't it?

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  21:02:45  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
Damn straight. My rhymes are funky fresh.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  10:39:10  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
Lucky you, with your fresh rhymes. My rhymes expired last week.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  15:45:03  Show Profile
Holla from Tennessee, yo. (Too early?)
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  15:47:24  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Stupid end of daylight savings' time! fuggin hate it! It's so dark and it's only 6:40 PM - I haven't seen the sun since about 5:30 PM. So, anyway, I guess my body doesn't think it's too early.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  15:48:34  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Wow, I just now noticed I'm over 500. I thought I was feeling old and crotchety! ;)
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:09:33  Show Profile
hey, happy over 500 apl. Yeah it was getting dark when I got out of class at 4:45 this afternoon. I'm gearing up for my seasonal depression.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:13:47  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Thanks scutor. I think I am among the most unpopular around this here forum - funny how it so closely imitates real life. Doesn't bother me though, I've always been a bit of a Wednesday Addams, so I'm used to it. sigh.....;)
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:22:02  Show Profile
Why do you think that? We all love you.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:24:18  Show Profile
Are you serious? I always thought you were very much loved and appreciated.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:25:44  Show Profile
Lemme tell you, apl, you fit right in here, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks so. (This coming from someone who only fits in with a select few!)
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:26:21  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Awww, thanks, glacial! I'm sorry it came across all needy like that. I was actually joking (thus the ;) ), as I already knew you all loved me...heheh
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:39:46  Show Profile
So you know you're the beez knees, right? Hehe.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:42:46  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
sure. all tiny and black and six of em. That's me!
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  21:04:31  Show Profile
It's midnight, where all my Tru Fu Schnickers at?

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000