Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  14:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Careful Jim, with all the Frank bashing in those reviews (come ON, how can you hate so many of his songs and simultaneously claim to be the defacto number one fan?!), various parties are already forming to stage a violent coup.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  14:26:09  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Pure Denizen of the Citizens Band

The chorus, while it doesn't really rock, is very cutesy in a way...the drum beat gives me that feeling. Now, the ending part, the fact that it isn't loud and rocking...that upsets me. But I got over after a few listens.

since several different people have said it, i guess ill comment on that. the problem was, i was doing the whole thing in my tiny little room with one mic, and really didnt have any good way to mic my drumset, which is in another room. as a result i used a drumloop for the chorus. i had to turn it down kinda low however because it sounded pretty fake if i didnt. i originally wanted the end to be exactly as it is, but then suddenly have the drums totally open up into like this bass and snare beat and have it get really loud and screamy, but as you can see, it never really panned out. so anyway, its not that im complaining with any of your reviews, just felt like saying that maybe just to sort get out the idea i probably will never act upon. thanks for the compliments too! heh

-miked
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  17:13:18  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
I'm not sure who zenEQ is but I was wondering how they got that really wide stereo field. It's got a 3D sound.. what up wit dat?

www.namjunerobot.com
Go to Top of Page

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  18:46:16  Show Profile
hello i am new here. i have been to the frankblack.net before but not the message boards. my friend said i should check them out as i dont have dsl at home i am using my friends computer (as though you allc are). so i heard the tribute and the b-sides and now i am posting my funny reviews......so don't be offended.

headache - a pretty straightforward version of frank's live version.
his kingly cave - i never really liked elvis or fried peanut butter
czar - i didn't know they might be giants did a cover of czar.
i will run after you - the end goes on for quite a bit...but it does eventually end.
so. bay - vocals are way too loud during the first half.
oddballs - was this a demo frank threw out?
men in black - ummmm.....???
brackish boy - another cover of frank's live version.
dog gone - i like the original because the guitars are in tune.
i could stay here forever - dance party at frank's house.
1826 - patti smith rocks.
pure denizens of the citizens band - dude with an acoustic guitar.
white noise maker - i truly am a fan of low-fi and this is nothing like it. all i can hear are vocals.
skelton man - the token jazzy cover on a compilation.
cold heart of stone - isn't this already on an album?
the marsist - i used to think one effect would cancel out the other but this proves me wrong.
end of miles - dude with an coustic guitar in his bathroom.
how you went so far - live from monterey pop.
i'll be blue - bells? wizards? trolls? evil overlords?
whispering weeds - gather your families and let's all go down by the river and have a picnic. i think the little mermaid is here.

==ted==
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  18:59:45  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by brank flack

hello i am new here. i have been to the frankblack.net before but not the message boards. my friend said i should check them out as i dont have dsl at home i am using my friends computer (as though you allc are). so i heard the tribute and the b-sides and now i am posting my funny reviews......so don't be offended. ==ted==

Tell me when they're funny.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  19:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by brank flack

hello i am new here. i have been to the frankblack.net before but not the message boards. my friend said i should check them out as i dont have dsl at home i am using my friends computer (as though you allc are). so i heard the tribute and the b-sides and now i am posting my funny reviews......so don't be offended.

his kingly cave - i never really liked elvis or fried peanut butter

Since recording this track, I suddenly have a craving for it... and shaking my hips. How did you know?

Incidentally, I thought some were funny.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  21:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Posted by Jimbo
quote:
Brackish Boy

I love the original, and I *LOVE* the cover. It definitely takes cue from the tiny clip of the Pixies version and the live, full band version.

There's a LIVE full band version? Tell me more.

Yeah, my dislike of the original (on FB) and surprise at hearing the Malta clip both served as impetus for my recording. I was definitely trying to create the Pixies version that never was, albeit with more enthusiasm than the band likely had to offer circa '91. I'm glad you picked up on that.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! I'll have MY album review up by tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  22:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Alright, here's my reviews and I suppose my reasoning for choosing the tracks and/or putting them in their place in the album. I'm not going to go out of my way to say anything positive/negative, just my thoughts.

1. Doog - Headache
A great opener, lots of energy, very true to the original, it really tells what to expect for the rest of the CD: a lot of people who love FB having a lot of fun doing their covers. Sure, it means the ending vocals aren't perfect, but that's exactly what's called for. In to it, having a great time, and letting loose.

2. Asterid - His Kingly Cave
Placed second because the intro in particular is a contrast from the bouncy Headache, very dark and brooding and bookends well with I'll Be Blue and Whispering Weeds. The vocals are a little too loud though they do dip in places, and while many have commented on the funny factor dying out, funny wasn't really the goal so I suppose that I'm happy it's not a riot through and through (OK, we left the 'Listen baby, let's do this' part for fun, but). Just Elvis doing the vocals instead of trying to emulate Frank. Anyway, it takes elements from both SSMVGD and DW as well as adds new elements, and isn't completely straight up either which is the final reason it was placed to contrast Headache. Don't worry... we'll be much more serious on out Pixies track. The vocals tend to lose their energy by second verse as well. Oh, and we tried Mere's idea of double-timing the choruses and we now despise her for not suggesting it earlier.

3. Disintegrated Einstein- Czar
Perfect intro, love the transition into the actual song. Good for reminding everyone that the CD rocks after Kingly Cave since it clearly rocks. Vocals not bad, though parts are a little on the weak side, but an appropriate choice for that all-important third track. The man is clearly talented (art, music, what else you got?)

4. Jim McLuckie- I Will Run After You
Miles above that first version I received. Excellent work on the keys considering this was your first attempt at it, and quite a warm feeling tone to the whole track. God bless analog. The falsetto at the end would've been nice to keep, but you probably need some training/practice doing it from what I remember of the first. I think it works with low vocals just fine though. As for placement, seemed it was time for some warmth since the first three tracks feel a little synthetic. The outro is a bit too long and could use that build, but I haven't skipped it yet and probably never will.

5. Crab Flank & The Chocktails- So. Bay
The opening with the pedal steel sends shivers down my spine and/or melts me into a puddle of liquid enjoyment. A great case is presented for Frank to take up So. Bay into the repertoire. It's too bad about that first snare hit being just a hint late, but that's my only complaint. I like Eric's buried vocals and quite enjoy Cynthia's rendition from start to finish. Especially after about the 3 min mark (that Oh-oh-oh) And God do I love the Pedal Steel part starting around 2:15 or so (going from memory here). The opening with the acoustic could use a little more power, but I think that the acoustic fits better with the presentation of the song. One of the most compelling tracks on the album. Excellent work.

6. Toomey-Zembo- Oddballs
An excellent, tight, straight up version, and it builds nicely from where So. Bay leaves off. This could be mistaken for Frank himself if not listening TOO closely. Some of my favourite vocals from the album are on this track. And how the hell did you do that scream around the 2.5 min mark.

7. zenEQ - Men In Black
If you want contrast from straight up Oddballs, there's really only one song you can depend on... MIB. The most original and out-there take of the entire project, and a special tip of the hat for doing that. I find myself singing along with the real vocals sometimes, though I have no idea how I know what part of the song I'm at. The vocals are too quiet and the song gets quite dull and repetitive, at least for me, but for those who are into the more electronic sounding stuff, I'm sure they'll love it. The modified lyrics fit perfectly in this song structure, though I admit to being uncertain of the outcome when you announced that you were going to change them.

8. CAK- Brackish Boy
I don't know why, or how, but Stravinsky somehow sounds right leading into Brackish Boy. I know I'll never hear the end of it for saying this, but this was the only track on the entire album that I enjoyed MORE than the original FB version. The backing band, the lead, the drums, the strumming sounds, and the breakdown 1.5 mins in. I've never appreciated the song until I heard this, and my hat is off to you as well. As for placement, it seemed like a good place to pick things up again after MIB, starting slow and then all of a sudden that note is held and here are the drums. Very tight guitar work, too.

9. Jason Phelan - Dog Gone
Some of the best vocals/backing vocals on the entire album, though not quite first place. I quite enjoyed the effects drums and the way he achieved sparseness and fullness at the same time - no mean feat. The song just feels right, and that's really all there is to it.

10. Nam June Robot- I Could Stay Here Forever
Hmmm... how to open up the second half of the disc? Well, how about an incredible version of I Could Stay Here Forever that rivals Frank's? The new wave feel of the song is there and maybe even accentuated, but paradoxically stays true to the original. And again, the synthetic feel inherent in new wave is a build upon the subtle distortion underlying Dog Gone.

11. Parchment Farm - 1812
Admittedly long, and I'm not certain I would take an already long song and slow it down, but they pulled it off. The "Space Box" as they call it really does add another dimension to the song and they do a great job of building the song with the drums being introduced slowly. The rock out at the end is a great way to conclude the build, and maybe it overstays it's welcome, but if you really listen to it loud, you'll wonder why they cut it short - you can feel the energy in the outro.

12. Michael DiSanto- Pure Denizen of the CB
Well, since long was the theme of the last song, a nice short track which also is a nice contrast in a sparse/acoustic sense. The vocals are a little rough, in the outro in particular they're not my cup of tea, but there's a wholesomeness to the track and a well done attempt at capturing the whole innocence of someone who just wants to belong. Worthy of it's place on the album. It's too bad about the 'just kidding' part though, since of course we know you're kidding.

13. Derek Olson - White Noise Maker
Well, it just felt right to have Denizen followed by White Noise Maker and I think it works well. Derek did a great job representing for one of my underappreciated favourites on Teenager. There were elements that I missed from the first version I received and elements that I really enjoyed more, but overall this is clearly the better submission. The vocals are quite convincing and fairly well done throughout, as are the guitars. You've proven yourself worthy of your title. We just won't call you beat master any time soon...

14. Christopher Van Epps- Skeleton Man
A totally different take on the original, though I really do miss that lead riff since that's what makes the song in my opinion. However, the bass line sort of makes up for it, and the originality does as well. The brass in the chorus is much needed relief from the monotony of the song otherwise, and again, another track that is not really my cup of tea but clearly would be enjoyable by others more interested in this style. It definitely earns it's place on musical merit. And I should emphasise that I love the chorus. I'm not sure if the Wave of Mutilation addition was trying to vie for closing track of because it just felt right, but I'm OK with it.

15. Peter Radiator- Cold Heart of Stone
It's really unfortunate that the pedal steel couldn't be brought in for this track. The piano does a fine job as a substitute, but both would be amazing. The piano could use a little low end action, but this is nitpicking because I really have nothing bad to say about this track. Probably the best recording/production value of them all and it shows through. For first time vocals, they're quite well done and I think that the immediacy is there. The backing vocals are superb too, and I can't say enough about the guitarist and recapturing that tone. A straight up cover after a very non-straight up Skeleton Man and leading into an even less true Marsist. The bridge is a little long, but again, I nitpick.

16. The Ohms- The Marsist
First of all, maybe it's the electrical engineer in me speaking, but I LOVE your band name. Also appropriate for the style of the music. The organ (?) is very appropriate for the mood you're setting, and I quite enjoy the beginning when the bass hits. The vocals could use some clarity, and once again, this is not my genre of music and not a song I personally care for, but I definitely see that talent and that those who like this type of song would enjoy it. The track is long and although I think the static keeping the beat is pretty cool, I'd like to have seen some drums come in or a tempo change or something dynamic.

17. P F Atlas- End of Miles
A sparse track, and granted that I miss the energy of the original, it might be a much more appropriate mood for the song than FB's version. It really does capture the mood very well and when I think back to your original version and how you went so far in so short a time with it, I'm quite impressed. The second verse could use a little more variation but I don't feel that the song overstays it's welcome. There are some off notes, but I think they fit with the jilted mood you've set. A very organic feeling song to contrast Mars. And the hints of jazz influence are a perfect lead in to the next track.

18. Neil Citter - How You Went So Far
Well, we're nearing the close, and it's time to step up the beat a little. The intro is awesome and one of my favourite moments on the CD, as is the outro. As though you're hitting us over the head with the jazz influence, then you pull it away completely and slowly reintroduce it (the beginning of the second verse, for example) and finally lapse into it completely. A journey. And a very well done track.

19. Clootie - I'll Be Blue
Well, on the note of well done tracks, I'm happy that there was a limit of one track per artist on the actual CD and a deadline, because I don't know that I could've chosen between I'll Be Blue and Big Red. I think I may have said that Brackish Boy was the one song on the album that I liked better, but if I did I was lying. I also love this song and it has opened my eyes to the true brilliance of it, and I do enjoy it more than Frank's version. Top notch recording (it better be), top notch vocals, instrumentation, and everything from start to finish. I really do love songs that build, and the introduction of the drums and then the backing vocals in the second chorus, as well as the electric guitar scale up there, it's just a tasty track. This was my initial choice for a closer as a really dramatic finish, but when I got Headache and Whispering Weeds, the writing was on the wall...

20. Zipper- Whispering Weeds
A late addition but I can't imagine the CD without it. A great bouncy closing track in the vein of Her Majesty (which makes I'll Be Blue = The End), and the exquisitie transition into Where Is My Mind hints at the next project on the horizon for the end of August. And the organ in there is a great addition and at just the right level in the mix. Although I do enjoy the original (now), I never really appreciated it until Zipper did this song and accentuated all the great stuff that I had somehow missed. Great work, guys, thanks for making the decision for closing track so obvious.

Well there you are. A great effort by everyone and it shows. Let's keep the reviews/comments/whatever coming...
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  06:43:04  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage
[quote]Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank
Some of my favourite vocals from the album are on this track. And how the hell did you do that scream around the 2.5 min mark.

Hey, thanks Dean! That would be an inhale-shriek type thing.
Very multi-dimensional though huh?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  07:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, that shriek is awesome. Love it. You'll have to teach me how.
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  11:11:45  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank
You'll have to teach me how.

take up smoking. 3 packs a day... to start.
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  11:24:17  Show Profile
quote:
14. Christopher Van Epps- Skeleton Man
...I'm not sure if the Wave of Mutilation addition was trying to vie for closing track of because it just felt right, but I'm OK with it.

I don't believe adding such an homage means it must vie for closing track. I added it because I knew WOM was FB's favorite song and I felt it could work. I was happy to get any position on the CD.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  12:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
No, you're right, like I said, wasn't sure whether you were thinking that way (Zipper told me they were) or whether you just thought it fit in there. It's a well done track and you deserve a position on the CD, there's no arguments there, but it's just not my thing. Hope you understand.
Go to Top of Page

Fibes
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  13:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Fibes's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

15. Peter Radiator- Cold Heart of Stone
It's really unfortunate that the pedal steel couldn't be brought in for this track. The piano does a fine job as a substitute, but both would be amazing. The piano could use a little low end action, but this is nitpicking because I really have nothing bad to say about this track. Probably the best recording/production value of them all and it shows through. For first time vocals, they're quite well done and I think that the immediacy is there. The backing vocals are superb too, and I can't say enough about the guitarist and recapturing that tone. A straight up cover after a very non-straight up Skeleton Man and leading into an even less true Marsist. The bridge is a little long, but again, I nitpick.

Well there you are. A great effort by everyone and it shows. Let's keep the reviews/comments/whatever coming...

FWIW I'm the guy that did most of the recording (sans vocals and acoustic gtr)all electric guitars, and mixing on PeterRadiator's track and had a blast. I heard the entire album the other night and second COF's thoughts above.

I wish we could've had the steel on there as well, figured we throw the curveball piano on there for fun (the bass was in competition for the lows and the piano is a bit loud).

The lead guitar chain was a homemade strat, small crappy gibson amp, sm 57, API 512 pre and a Distressor. The key is not using a pick and grabbing the strings like a... In other words, it just happened.

This whole deal took around seven hours. having great musicians made my job easy. Peter rocked the vocal, i wish i wasn't out getting drunk while it happened. BTW the song was supposed to fade but the ending was so, uh, out of nowhere. ehh.

Once again, you all did a great job. More details about specific songs later.

Fibes

"You can like it, or not like it."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  16:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Here's my attempt at an objective, track-by-track review of "You Ain't Me". Be warned-
some comments will seem brusque and/or redundant.

Headache - 9 (out of 10)
good: Instrumentation executed almost expertly. I like the slightly truncated ending. bad: Harmonies are a bit over the top. Snare drum is near-inaudible except during drum fills.

His Kingly Cave - 8
good: Elvis-impersonating vocals are top-notch. The organist's goofy scale modulations just before the last verse - grand. bad: Beginning sounds kinda sloppy, esp when the drums come in. The vocal track's too bass-y.

Czar - 9
good: Great Yankovic-esque interpretation. Can't get enough of the accordion-work. bad: The Old Black Dawning intro is a little inaccurate, but oh well.

I Will Run After You - 8
good: Solid instrumental performance. The recording is simply immacculate for a multitrack cassette recording. Like the bell sound. bad: Vocals are kinda brittle, esp the "I will run..." refrain.

So. Bay - *10*
good: Stellar "latter-day Catholics" remake. The playing aesthetic and execution are near-flawless. I love this woman's voice, which alternately reminds me of Kay Hanley and Kristin Hersh. The harmony parts at the end are beautiful. bad: The drummer's a little loose. Lower-register male vocal seems gratuitous.

Oddball - 9
good: A spirited performance. Everyone involved in this recording knows what he/she's doing. The singer sure can sing. bad: A bit of overplaying in general.

Men In Black - 8
good: Possibly the most unique cover on this compilation. Sound FX are tastefully humorous and mixed brilliantly. I enjoy the song-structure modifications. bad: "Additional" lyrics are mostly unintelligible.

Doggone - 7
good: Nice "lo-fi blues" remake concept. The guy has a good, bluesy voice and adequate knowledge of the song. bad: The harmonies lack in subtlety, and the drum loop/machine could be replaced w/ real, DIY percussion.

I Could Stay Here Forever - 8
good: Elaborate electro-pop version. The instrumentation is quite adept, and the frequency noise at the end of the song is cool as heaven. bad: If only the vocals were mixed more clearly (esp during the chorus).

1826 - 8
good: Recording's got some fire to it. The live feel and chaotic sound effects remind me of... The Fall! bad: The performance belies either a limited knowledge or brazen disavowal of the precise song structure. Singing's a little shaky on the intro.

Denizen of the CB - 9
good: Intelligent and near-flawless. Stereo-imaging, handclaps, and lo-fi guitar break are all excellent. Definitely a good argument for the "less-is-more" aesthetic. bad: Outro vocal's a bit abrasive recording-wise.

White Noise Maker - 8
good: Muffled instrumentation and sore-thumb, reverberant vocal remind me of '60s R'n'B productions. Solid guitar playing. bad: Some drum fills are sloppy. Vocalist over-emotes.

Skeleton Man - 9
good: This "reggae version" is surprisingly effective. Drum playing (programming?) is both stellar and catchy. bad: Horns on the bridge are a nice touch but sound pretty fakey.
(Radio airplay, anyone?)

Cold Heart of Stone - 9
good: Another inspired - if slightly cheesy - performance. Production value is absolute tops, and the singer resembles Bowie on the bridges. Players are quite obviously pros. bad: Certain musical elements are slightly repetitive. The outro is pretty damn long.

The Marsist - 8
good: Early/slower Big Black with added cheese. Not bad at all. Unearthly sound effects provide a tangible atmosphere. bad: The bass playing is sloppy.

End of Miles - 7
good: The slow tempo works perfectly, with emotional overtones very much intact. bad: The lead guitar and trumpet playing are often off-key. Ending is ramshackle.

How You Went So Far - 7
good: Remarkably tight playing considering the minimal time investment. The driving, distorted intro is great. bad: The recording is muddy, while the vocals are sour. The ending is funny, if amateurish.

I'll Be Blue - 9
good: Another pro-quality recording. Rhythm section works surprisingly well considering it was cut-and-pasted from other Clootie tracks. Singer has a male "heart-throb" voice (I'm straight). bad: The resemblance to the Pumpkins (particularly the belled notes in the intro) is a bit much.

Whispering Weeds - 8
good: Solid, faithful cover. Key changes and surprise ending are entertaining additions. bad: Singing's a little rough. Slight lack of variety in the playing.

Comments regarding my own track are forthcoming. Thanks (again) Dean for organizing this tribute project. I'm sincerely proud of all track contributors for simply making the effort.

- CAK

Edited by - Chris Knight on 07/23/2003 16:32:00
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  20:26:57  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Thanks for all the kind reviews so far everyone. I'm glad so many of you like the *quality* of the recording...I was hoping to prove how kick-ass multitrack analog cassette recording can sound (versus the cold, cold sound of digital).

Chris: I have a small, lower quality MP3 of a live, full band version of Brackish Boy from who knows where...it rocks hard. I can get it to you somehow...contact me. (it's less than 1MB, small enough to email). Hasn't FB&TC played Brackish Boy live lately? Or has it just been FB solo?

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  21:28:18  Show Profile
what's with 121 reviews of the "cd" and only 19 of the "b-sides"? haha. kidding....
ryan
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  23:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I'm sure more will be there than you could wish for soon enough... :)
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Everybody on the cd is the greatest musician of all time. Rock and Roll. Since most of you guys are better at everything than me, I'll try to focus on just the positive.

1) Doog - Headache
Sincere effort with awesome background and lead vocals. I like the word "Sleeap".

2) Asterid - His Kingly Cave
Very brooding song and you guys get into the groove perfectly. I like that high keyboard/organ sound.

3) Disintegrated Einsteing - Czar
Great arragement and production. You can tell that there are lots of inspired ideas going on in this version.

4) Jim McLuckie - I Will Run After You
Great acoustic sound, vocals are well done, and I now want a xylophone.

5) Crab Flank and the Chocktails - So. Bay
I like this song a lot.. Frank played it last time in Toronto and it was killer, so for anybody requesting this song, he was playing it early 2003. Great 'weeping' lead guitar, Slide rules, etc..

6) Toomey-Zembo - Oddballs
My personal favorite. I usually like the more creative cover versions, but this one is way too badd ass to not give the gold medal. Vocals are wicked, lead is ridiculous, drums rock hard, and wow.

7) ZenEQ - Men in Black
Definitely grew on me after a few listens. It's got a beat you can dig.

8) CAK - Brackish Boy
Another inspired version (there are tons on this album). Rocking version with some pretty funky vox. Mosh, don't pass the guy!

9) Jason Phelan - Dog Gone
Well done. Pretty straight forward. Good background vocals.

10) Nam June Robot - I Could Stay Here Forever
Sounds like a professional type cover version. I really like those crazy sounds.. awesome. Great use of technology and still maintain a very rock sound.

11) Parchment Farm - 1826
Lots of reverb and delay make it sound cool. Well done.

12) Micheal DiSanto - Pure Denizen of the Citizens Band
Very indie rock kinda sound, which works well. Sounds like a very sincere effort, and you succeed. Congratulations Mike!

13) Derek Olson - White Noise Maker
Nice keys, vox and guitar sound. You can tell that you could really put something epic together if you put your mind to it. Rock on.

14) Christopher Van Epps - Skeleton Man
The Chorus is very powerful.. Well arranged and the drums are most definitely bad ass.

15) Peter Radiator - Cold Heart of Stone
Very good version of the tune and the vocals are sung with great intensity. I like pianos.. I wish I could play one.

16) The Ohms - The Marsist
The Ohms are drunk bastards and they can go fuck themselves.

17) P F Atlas - End of Miles
Very talented guitar work. Nice and pleasant sound - very warm.

18) Neil Citter - How You Went So Far
Rock on Neil. It's got that sloppy/raw kinda feel which I really dig.

19) Clootie - I'll Be Blue
This is my second favorite from the album. It's an inspirational effort. Layers and layers of ideas. Your brain must have been sweating overtime.

20) Zipper - Whispering Weeds
For some reason, this song sounds like it'd be a lot of fun to record. Or maybe you guys make it sound like tons of fun. Wicked closer.

That's it. I think this album is awesome. Congrats to everyone involved.

1c
Go to Top of Page

parker_airspace
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  13:30:28  Show Profile  Click to see parker_airspace's MSN Messenger address
Here’s my track by track bull-s**t, for what it’s worth……………….

headache – I really like this, solid and great recording. Maybe the mix and drum tracks a bit dodgy though……it’s still one of my favourites though.

his kingly cave – The arrangement in this one is really cool, inspired, but, the vocal track is not my taste, it grows on you though, great singer, but wears a bit thin near the end cause of the lack of dynamics. Sorry.

czar – love the intro, but when it all kicks in, I doesn’t, if you know what I mean, sorry, but it’s a bit snappy happy blah. Bit biased cause I really love this song, and I know I should judge this version because of it but I cant help it.

i will run after you – ok, this is shallow but I can only fault this on the cymbal recording!……this is almost perfect.

so. bay – the backing track is brilliant, just brilliant, great bass & drum sound. vocal track (register) is not my cup of tea and spoils it for me.

oddballs – what can I say….. love it all!

men in black – an overnight run-in with the insane clown posse seems to have left this at the starting gate?, maybe its my download, but how the hell did this get on the cd, apart from the sound quality. Sorry, you always have to dislike one, but I cant really find anything good to say about this at all. You might be able to market it as an alternative for electroshock therapy though.

brackish boy – f***ing class. Really love this, I want to hear some of your own stuff too!.. cant fault this at all, I like it too much!

dog gone – I would have left this without the drum track, your vocals carry it. The drums drag the track down. But hey, who am I to say?!

i could stay here forever – (smiles) ….. genious, I really like the 80’s british electro pop style this is in. And your vocals only serve to excel this even more.

1826 – if the vocals were louder from the middle to the end it would be amazing, a little dynamic would really finish this off. It’s so good, I really didn’t expect anyone to be able to put even a half decent cover of this song.

pure denizens of the citizens band – this is just f***in cool, that’s all. Great idea, great sound. (sigh) inspired even……..

white noise maker – cool sounding live feel track – mix is dodgy that’s all because hearing everything else on its own, it’s shit hot!

Skeleton man – great sound, a little o.t.t., the british ska movement would have eaten you alive, cause it lacks the true grit needed, a bit too flimsy, no passion. Tight song, but I think its shite, sorry……. Only the recording quality kept this one in.

cold heart of stone – great song done so well, nice to see some passion, really cant fault it, I’d like to hear some of your own stuff as well if there is any.isn't this already on an album?

the marsist – im sorry but, if I ever have to kill myself, I know what song I’ll put on to tip me over the edge. No clear melody, no clear arrangement, crappy hidden vocals, How the hell did this kak get on the cd?, yeh the quality is great, but overall it stinks. My opinion yeah, I’m sorry to be shitty, but the reviews were requested. Anyway, its supposed to be good to get either a very good or bad review… and before you say it, yes! I AM AN ASSHOLE.

end of miles – great recording, sharp pointy recording sound, and the lead guitar is awful, all over the bloody place. Really good vocals though. Apologies,

how you went so far – apart from the start, which seems a bit haphazard, this track is really really cool sounding. The vocals are so spot on. You lot got any of your own stuff on the net?

i'll be blue – stands out as very professionally done, brilliant vocals, so tight, but the beginning is a bit “cubase-tastic” if you’d left off the tubular bells I’d have been captain happy, instead of a whining shit. Great way to finish this cd off though.

Sorry to offend anyone, but I have to give my review without conforming, as my name is surely Chip.

Theres a few points ive realised here……. Some of the cd tracks seemed only to get on for their quality rating, (biased, I know), cause some are awful, (poor poor artists left out on the b-side (shitty) tag), however the vast majority are so well done, they really are a credit. There is a lot of talent out there, and it might be an idea to have a links page, or ftp folder for members own songs, it would be a waste otherwise I think. Really enjoyed this project, and well done to everyone, even if I slated you, cause at least we got off our arses and did it, spreading some interesting tracks all over the web.

- was smashed head on by a giant truck :( - Chris
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  20:48:27  Show Profile
I dont have any stuff on the net right now, I was in a band called "elephant" out of chicago, kind of a jazz/punk thing (in that order). I went to college for jazz guitar (although chris knight called my jazz part in the song amatuerish) but I listened to punk and rock, so we kind of came up with a cool thing. T'was going well but alas, we lived together so it was not meant to be. We played at the double door a few times where frank played which is now kinda cool, but one guy is in north carolina, and the other in prague so thats finished.
Im working on a long distance collaberation of sorts called 1974head and some more straight up amatuer jazz stuff. That end part really was on the spot with absolutely no plan, so yeah it isnt really "polished" sorry listeners.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  00:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Hey, Parker Airspace!

What do you mean by "cubase-tastic"?????

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Chmo
- FB Fan -

France
2 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  12:01:48  Show Profile
Is somebody speak french in this forum?
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  12:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
À l'aide de ce traducteur, oui, je peux ! Vous ont besoin d'aide téléchargeant l'album ou juste veulent causer ?

http://www.nimrods-son.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

parker_airspace
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  12:40:50  Show Profile  Click to see parker_airspace's MSN Messenger address
cubase vst : very strict midi style sequencing program, logic audio with most of the audio taken out. (not the best description), certainly not meant as an insult though, just incredibly tight, over tight maybe, nah, just tight.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  13:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
http://www.frankblack.net/tribute
Contains info on and website/email of each and every artist that made it onto CD. (Feel free to yell at me if you knew that.)

I'm currently rehearsing the guitar parts for an album that's supposed to be professional as possible playing-wise, yet recorded on a 4-track (though I'm having some second thoughts about the latter because of how well "Brackish Boy" turned out; it was recorded on my friend's PC / 8-channel soundcard). I plan to have an "original music" section on my website in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for expressing interest!

Edited by - Chris Knight on 07/25/2003 13:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  13:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
It will also have the B-side artist information once everyone gets those emails to me and I have some free time again...
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  17:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by parker_airspace

cubase vst : very strict midi style sequencing program, logic audio with most of the audio taken out. (not the best description), certainly not meant as an insult though, just incredibly tight, over tight maybe, nah, just tight.

That's interesting as I don't have any MIDI gear! I edited those SFX samples in by hand and pitch shifted them to make the melody. I regret the tubular bell part as I think it goes over the top, but I did it because I knew no one else would have tubular bells or gongs and such on their tribute. It is VERY Smashing Pumpkins sounding, but that's what happens when you only have a guitar to orchestrate with. I really wish I had a piano!

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  19:17:24  Show Profile
Now EVERY song on the Pixies tribute is going to have a tubular bell part. Just watch...

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

parker_airspace
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  02:34:22  Show Profile  Click to see parker_airspace's MSN Messenger address
hats off to a4c, thats dedication, i never would have guessed that......respect is definately due to you!

Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  08:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Now don't blow sunshine up my ass! I think it's funny that I spent all that time to make something that in the end would've taken me minutes to do with a sampler. I'm gonna get me a sampler. Then I can do the 90's remix ala "Fame" and it'll go "I-I-I-I-I-I-I'll be blue"

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  18:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
What? No more reviews?
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  20:47:43  Show Profile
another review...

Chris Knight: This is my least favorite poster of all at FB.net. He is too impatient and his posts die out after first read. C-

(just kidding)

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Zipperrock
- FB Fan -

25 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  03:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Zipperrock's Homepage
Brank Flack - "whispering weeds - gather your families and let's all go down by the river and have a picnic. i think the little mermaid is here."

What exactly do you mean by this?
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  10:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage

so i have been inactive on the forums for a while, but i had heard about the tribute album and i thought, probably like a lot of other cynics, 'oh boy this will be rich.'

so last night i told my FTP client to grab the folder, thinking to myself 'hahah this will be funny.' and first it got the B-Sides and i have to be honest and say things were meeting my expectations until i hit Clootie's "Big Red". i said 'whoah hold on here, something seems to be wrong.'

so then i watched adult swim and when it was over the actual album had been downloaded and i listened to it and i have to admit you all did a terrific job. some of the vocals are a bit weak, IMHO, and of course there's other problems here and there (which have all been discussed enough so i won't go into it), but there's a lot more musical talent here than i would have thought.

i listened through again while reading the thread, and i like some things more than i did before. to be an ass and single a few out i especially like Czar, I Will Run After You, So. Bay, Dog Gone, Cold Heart of Stone, I'll Be Blue and Whispering Weeds.

so there's my opinion. that and forty-five cents will get you a White Castle. ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000