Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  06:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:

I'll Be Blue: The bells reminded me of "Tonight Tonight" by the Pumpkins.. very epic sounding song, especially with the timpani-esque tom work.. Well recorded, good dynamics, the octaved vocals mix real well, smooth.

I was actually thinking of "disarm", but close enough!

quote:

edit: Just to reinstate the fact- Clootie's "Big Red" is wicked! I love those Brian Wilson harmonies at the intro, and the big deep vocal overdubs. This should been on the cd!

Yeah, I didn't finish it on time. I submitted it as a b-side the same day as the masters were finished, but thanks for the kudos! I hope everyone checks it out!

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:01:41  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Hey Blackpurse,

I'm very sorry to have made the assumption that the vocals on your track were "a guy". I feel lame for that. Sorry again. Well, at least it's not like the dude from Blur has low, booming voice or anything..it's in a higher register.

-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:13:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AdamWest

Hey Blackpurse,

I'm very sorry to have made the assumption that the vocals on your track were "a guy". I feel lame for that. Sorry again. Well, at least it's not like the dude from Blur has low, booming voice or anything..it's in a higher register.

-Ryan

that's cool. All I need is to start smoking and I'm ready for the Marianne Faithfull tribute album. (I of course would do one of her earlier sweet-voiced songs like "As Tears Go By" but in her world weary filterless Lucky Strikes voice).

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Hey blackpurse, I knew it was a lady the whole time. Aggressive alto female vocals are often mistaken for male vocals.

I actually thought the singer of "So. Bay" was a guy with sped up vocals until the outro came up. It sounded like Ween before then.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:53:29  Show Profile
I just finished listening to the whole thing and it's fucking awesome. I won't review every song, but my favorite on the whole CD was I'll Be Blue. I also really enjoyed How You Went So Far, White Noise Maker, and So. Bay. The whole CD was great! Is there a listing anywhere of which forum members did which songs?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  08:06:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
http://www.frankblack.net/tribute/
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  08:37:00  Show Profile
Apologies for the thread created in the General area. Will repeat myself here by saying excellent work. If I were FB I would feel very flattered at the time and effort and finished result of this compilation. Totally amazing!

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

What is your fascination with my secret closet of mystery?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  09:31:45  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey Dean, have you mailed the copies to Ken? Looks like i'll be able to get those tapes out to you guys today before Canada goes Postal..
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  10:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
They're going out today (as well as the one to Sarah)... thanks on the tapes.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
They're gone. But I'm shipping with <shudder> UPS. Stupid work.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  13:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Looks like the secret mind-control track in the mix really works!
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  13:30:48  Show Profile
What are you talking about Steak? That's a load of rich creamery butter. Now let's all forget about this mind control business, we've all got cheques to send to Dean.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  14:52:09  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by big_galoof

there's an extra K in the anagram "Crab Flank and the Chocktails" - now there's five minutes i'll never get back. got the tribute disc in the car changer, digging it in traffic.

TBG

I guessing "Crab Flan" just didn't sound as tasty.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  15:16:41  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mereubu

quote:
Originally posted by big_galoof

there's an extra K in the anagram "Crab Flank and the Chocktails" - now there's five minutes i'll never get back. got the tribute disc in the car changer, digging it in traffic.

TBG

I guessing "Crab Flan" just didn't sound as tasty.

My files says "Crab Flank and the Chocotails"! Which one is it?

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  15:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
It was given to me as "Chocktails" and I doubled checked with Eric to make sure I had it right (since I didn't even catch the anagram and thought it was a typo for Cocktails).
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  16:24:27  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
"Chocotails." That sounds horrible. Either that or I've just been reading too many euphemisms.
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  18:39:01  Show Profile
I was the one that put the bass on the left and the drums on the right? Thats funny, cause I thought wo the hell would do that.WhenI recorded "how you went so far", I just had a baby 4 weeks before, and I barely had two seconds of time to do anything, much less set up drums and all that other crap. So the sunday before we had to turn it in , my girlfriend took the baby to her mom's and I figured I had about 2.5 hours to do it, and if it sucked too bad I wasnt going to turn it in. So I did one drum track with no practice, and only 2 mics hooked up (I guess that would explain the bass on one side and the rest of the drums on the other), and I thought it was ok, but I did another just to make sure, but I wound up using the first anyhow. One take on the main guitar track, one or two on the lead, and one bass track, with an insert for wrong notes. Probably five or six vox takes. Does it sound out of tune, cause i used a tuner, so i dont get it. Its probably my bad singing. I can't take the time to do a full interview, and i dont have any particular favs, but I think the whole project turned out great.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  19:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Wow Neil, that's an impressive track especially for how long you spent on it. Peter Radiator mentioned that his was recorded and mixed in seven hours which is amazing as well. I spent days and days on mine obsessing about every minor defect and re-mixing and such. I had an extra week to obsess since I could get away with tweaking my track while the masters were still being finished.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  20:59:22  Show Profile
I was'nt really trying to impress anyone, honestly. It was a first time situation that I got the drums in the first take,(really rare).And honestly, other than a few guitar parts I really didnt like the song in the end, but fortunatly I didnt have time to listen to it, cause if I did, I probably wouldnt have submitted it. Im truly my own worst critic to a practically catatonic level. But I guess if my vocals didnt suck so bad, I would have liked it a bit more.
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  15:06:35  Show Profile
"I can't take the time to do a full interview, and i dont have any particular favs, but I think the whole project turned out great."
---------I meant "review", but I did make time for it, but I wont have it finished till later, after all my interviews. ha
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  15:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Keep smoking that reefer Neil!

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  16:29:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

Wow Neil, that's an impressive track especially for how long you spent on it. Peter Radiator mentioned that his was recorded and mixed in seven hours which is amazing as well. I spent days and days on mine obsessing about every minor defect and re-mixing and such. I had an extra week to obsess since I could get away with tweaking my track while the masters were still being finished.

www.mp3.com/clootie

I estimate that about seven hours of real work went into my contribution ("Cold Heart of Stone"), as a lot of the time spent was drinking beer, laughing and furrowing our collective brows.

I'm not sure exactly how long it took to mix as I was only there for part of that session, and one of my co-producers had fiddled with it a bit a few days earlier when some other studio client finishd up a bit early. Still, this was definitely a "quickie" in every sense of the word.

We literally e-mailed the final mix to Dean about 3 hours before the ABSOLUTE deadline, and only started the track around the 29th of June.

As far as my own feelings go in regards to our cover:
I specifically chose this song because I think it's one of the most deceptively simple blues tunes that Frank has ever released. In fact, it could easily have been recast as a B.B. King-style showpiece.

The sparseness of the lyric and the emotional content is so direct that in many ways upon first hearing it, I viewed it as a minor turning point in his recorded output.

I also knew that the instrumentation and groove of the song would lend itself to A) being tracked quickly and B) appealing to the players I had in mind.

What I'm most proud of is the fact that except for myself, everyone else who played on the track had – at best – only a cursory knowledge of Frank's solo career, and I'm pretty sure the bass player had no idea who he was, nor was he particularly interested! A great deal of our time was spent bringing all the other musicians up to speed on the track, as most of them had only heard it a few times before we attempted the song.

That's not to say we slaved over it, just that things would probably have gone faster if we had gotten together and rehearsed as a unit before rolling tape.

I planned from the start to keep the arrangement very similar to the original and not try to re-imagine or re-conceptualize the song, as a few contributors did. For me, Frank and The Catholics' approach to this song was right on target. The one thing I did try to do with my vocal delivery was to heighten the implied menace and anger that is at the root of the song, and which Frank seems to swallow – or at least downplay – in the BLD version.

This was the first time I had ever recorded a lead vocal for public consumption, and I was/am extremely self-conscious about my performance. In retrospect, I would have liked to have gone back and re-done it, as there are a few places that still make me cringe (flat notes, a weird Buddy Holly hiccup I wish I could take back), but a co-producer who is a stickler for vocals was pleasantly surprised, and insisted I leave it alone. What you hear is the second take.

At the time I felt he was just so happy that it wasn't as bad as he had imagined it would be (!) that he settled for adequacy, as opposed to pushing me toward something better. I still feel that's the case, but in the interest of time, and with the knowledge that it seems FB would rather leave in a few small vocal flubs than overwork something till it loses its immediacy, I let it stay.

There was supposed to be an actual pedal steel on the track, but the guitarist we wanted lives about 5 hours away and is constantly gigging or recording, so it wasn't feasible for him to do it. As a last-minute replacement, we added an electric slide guitar that comes in a few times in the turnarounds. At some point, we'll do a remix with the real pedal steel, and at that time I'll probably take a few of this board's suggestions to heart (such as having the piano sit a bit lower in the track).

I was most happy with the electric guitar tone that Kevin F. Rose (Fibes on this board) got for the lead. I told him I was looking for the end to swell up as big as possible in a Crazy Horse kind of way, and his tone and approach to the solo itself sounds to me like a nice melding of Neil Young (sans Bigsby) and Rich Gilbert (sans orange suit). Plus, as I recall, he was half-asleep when he played it...

I have only recently received a copy of the album and B-sides in the mail (as I couldn't download it properly on my iMac), and as soon as I have digested all the tracks, I'll be happy to post a few impressions of the other submissions for what that's worth.

Thanks again for allowing me to take part in this. I haven't had that much fun in the studio for a very long time. I'm looking forward to helping craft more tracks on upcoming Frankblack.net MP3 "albums".

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  20:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Hey Ryan! Hey AdamWest!

Mr. Radiator and I have had sizing problems with the artwork. I've had to resize everything when I import it into Avery DesignPro and Peter said when he prints it out the nero is too big and the other one is too small. What gives and what's the difference between the two? Shanks.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  21:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
You should just be able to print the regular versions in any image editing program... make sure that your printer is not "scaling to fit", though. Otherwise, the stand-alone versions have been included to fit into your favourite cd labelling program. I use Nero and just stretched the image to fit slightly, since the dimensions are slightly different for each program. We discussed resizing but thoughht we'd see how people are doing with the printing before we tried any fixes. It should stretch to fit OK, though, mine look fantastic. You may also have to adjust the gamma to make the print out look correct.
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  23:08:56  Show Profile
i enjoyed everyone's work. almost every song has it's own style and sound so i didn't get bored at all listening to them. glad people put work into this. i hope everyone else enjoys this collection. now i need to listen to the b-sides.
ryan
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  17:47:14  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Hey A4C, I said how much I loved your "Big Red" (oh ,the innuendo), and I've got a bit of a weird follow-up question for ya-

I'm working on my new solo LP, and really want that sound for one song- I was wondering, was their anything special you did to get THAT total Brian Wilson sound? Were all the vocal parts doubled, or is it just the reverb? Plate, hall, room? Is it all in the mix? The voice? Or did it just happen like that for you, and I'm asking a very stupid question? It's just so spot on, I had to ask..

I even had a quick bash at recreating your sound, strangely enough! (slow day..) :
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000094903_000009029.mp3
I've got a crap voice, its the best I could muster! Thanks a lot man.

solo stuff @ www.doog.tk

Edited by - Doog on 07/20/2003 17:48:20
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  18:33:36  Show Profile
Here are half of the songs reviewed. I'm not sure when I'll get to the others but I wanted to post these now since no one has posted full reviews for a couple days. I hope I'm not too negative-sounding, because I love (almost) all the songs on the album. I wanted to express my (+) and (-) views about each song as to not be all on the bright side just to make people happy

Headache - This song got me really excited about the tribute album and what other goodies I would soon here. Good first song. I love the tremolo effect in the first break. The BGVs are great too. I especially like the ending "Got me down" BGV harmonies.

His Kingly Cave - I don't know who recorded this, but they should not be allowed to be on the Pixies tribute. Just kidding. I think it's clever how you made Elvis sing on it. The guy sings a good Elvis but it looses flavor after a while. But still, it seems like a hard song to sing as Elvis on so I'll give him props. The BGVs are definitely awesome and that high "scream for all."

Czar - way to shred that accordian. I love the surprising distored guitars and how they bust out of their shell and scare you. I like the changed drumbeat and that double hit on the snare. It works well with the way you rearranged the song. This is a wonderful, entertaining cover.

So Bay - well done. I like the girls voice (especially during the last part). I like the acoustic sound and the slide guitar. Vocals might be a tad too loud though. I like the "Yeahhh" at 2:50 but don't really like how she enunciates the word "coke." oh well! Love the guitar fills in the last part.

Dog Gone - I agree with someone who said there shouldn't be so much delay on the highhat. Cool BGVs, good vocals, and overall a great cover. The ending is a little rough; it could be a little more solid. The drums just kind of stop on an awkward beat.

I Could Stay Here Forever - Spooooky. I love this version. VOX could be a bit louder. The back and forth panning with that moog-sounding thing is awesome. There are a bunch of super-cool spacey FX going on in this song.

Pure Denizen of the Citizens Band - I like how there are well-defined sections that are all unique. That guitar tone is great at :52 seconds. Sorry this review is short, but the song was short. ha.

White Noise Maker - My version. It's alright I guess. lol. I think if I could go thru this whole experience again, I'd record it differently. Actually I'd probably pick another song. I like the keyboard on the "Maybe the interior" part. I'm proud of it because it's an old Casio Soundback thingy I got at goodwill for 2 dollars. It's about a foot long. The ping pong delay on my voice was a last minute thing; it wasn't even in the first version I sent to Dean. The drums are sappy. I need real drums. Someone guessed they're Yamaha keyboard drums, and they are. poop on them

Cold Heart of Stone - cool BGVs in the extended break/solo. It's a pretty long break but it fits nicely and I don't get bored through it. I like the dude's voice too and the way he changes up a couple of the melody lines.

the Marsist - this is pretty good. I think I sorta lose interest in it after 3 minutes. Possibily could have varied up the ending. Maybe you could have had someone screaming (like a distant/distorted scream) the last choruses in a painful way. Or maybe I'm stupid.

I'll Be Blue - This has to be one of my top faves. The intro kicks ass,
The electric/lead guitar sound is beautiful, and the delay on your voice is sweet.
Fantastic arrangement. I think this version is just as good as the original.

And these I will review later:

I Will Run After You
Oddballs
Men in Black
Brackish Boy
Skeleton Man
End of Miles
Whispering Weeds
How You Went so Far

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  20:42:23  Show Profile
My take on the whole project:
HEADACHE- I think this song is really well put together, solid Frank Black song, kinda hard to go wrong with it, video game sounding drums, but everything else was quite good.

His Kingly Cave-- Really well done, music is great but the vocals make it sound like a parody, comedic, not bad at all, but was it supposed to be funny? I cant get a real feel for it with those vocals, but it is a well done version.

Czar-- I really like this song, the vocals stand out for me. Reminds me of the Detholz from chicago sorta.

I will run after you--good sounding instruments, video game sounding drums, but still good.

So. Bay--Love the instruments, the vocals fit really well at times and not so well at others, but still one of the best sounding on the whole cd.

Oddballs--Probably my favorite on the whole thing, but its more than likely because it sounds so much like the original. This guy does a good imitation, a little over the top, but really really good at times.

Men in Black--Its really not my style so kinda hard to give an open opinion, but my girlfriend likes it, and shes hot so there you go.ha

Brakish Boy--Good song, well done, the only thing lacking is the vox a little but the instruments make up for that.

Doggone--kinda souly sounding, in a good way.

I could stay here forever--- Like the new age-y sound but I cant hardly hear the vocals.

1826--I thought this would be a hard one to do, but this turned out great. Love the end.

I'll do the rest later, g night folks

Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  00:00:33  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Doog

Hey A4C, I said how much I loved your "Big Red" (oh ,the innuendo), and I've got a bit of a weird follow-up question for ya-

I'm working on my new solo LP, and really want that sound for one song- I was wondering, was their anything special you did to get THAT total Brian Wilson sound? Were all the vocal parts doubled, or is it just the reverb? Plate, hall, room? Is it all in the mix? The voice? Or did it just happen like that for you, and I'm asking a very stupid question? It's just so spot on, I had to ask..

I even had a quick bash at recreating your sound, strangely enough! (slow day..) :
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000094903_000009029.mp3
I've got a crap voice, its the best I could muster! Thanks a lot man.

solo stuff @ www.doog.tk

Wow, that's flattering! You did a good job on that. I'm in Nashville right now finishing up my album and can only listen through my laptop, but it sounds pretty good.

Basically, I used an AudioTechnica 4033 and sang really close to the mic, but off axis so I didn't pop. I layered 4 takes for each part of the "choir". I EQ'd each part so that they fit together and panned them all to different positions. The reverb is a plate setting on a crappy Alesis Quadroverb. I recorded a different reverb for each part and changed the reverb EQ and predelay to move things back or forward in the mix. I then bounced it to two tracks and compressed the stereo bounce. I find the key to good vocal sounds is to low cut everything from 90Hz down. I low cut less on the bass voice, more on the tenor, and even more on the falsetto. That's a start I guess.

It's funny that you recorded a tribute to my tribute!

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  03:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Thanks a load, dude!

Edited by - Doog on 07/21/2003 03:05:06
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  10:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

What are you talking about Steak? That's a load of rich creamery butter. Now let's all forget about this mind control business, we've all got cheques to send to Dean.

Disclaimer: My post was made in reference to the blackpurse-Damon Albarn comparisons and was not meant to imply secret messages and mind-conditioning algorythyms were included on the project as a whole. Though that might not be a bad idea....
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  17:16:04  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Atheist4Catholics, you are in Nashville now?

Me too.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments on Dog Gone. As for the drums, cut me some slack, because I don't know how to play them suckers.

Really, this was done before the idea of the tribute cd came up. And by the time they told me they wanted to include it, I had stupidly erased the tracks from my computer or else I would have remixed it to fix the volume probs. Cest la vie.

Thanks for all the compliments on the vocals, because the main thing I wanted to do on that song was do really good vocals and by the sounds of things, looks like some of you agree with that.

The drums were a loop I built AND another snare and hat over that. I did it right in front of my shitty computer and I knew I could never get the neat fills and all that because I suck at drums. I tried not to make them obnoxious though.

That song was special to me. The first time I heard the first FB&TCs album, I felt like, oh no, hear we go again Cult of Shitty Ray part two. But it was that song, by the third listen that changed my mind forever and showed me "THE WAY". Of course, looking back, I see Cult of Ray for the awkward ugly duckling year of Frank Black which grew into the soaring swan that is SHOW ME YOUR TEARS.

My god, I love this band, I love the tribute album and I was so honored to be included with all the great and talented people on this board. In fact, it's so cool that this board exists and that there is such a diverse array of talent and people on it.

Thanks everyone. I am very proud to be a part of it with you guys.

"Winter blows through my coat"

the what four http://www.mp3.com/phelan
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  02:21:36  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
My favorite songs are:
* 04 - Jim McLuckie - I Will Run After You
Very nicely done. I love the piano thing.
* 10 - Nam June Robot - I Could Stay Here Forever
Probably my favorite because I'm not a big fan of the original and I love that cover.
Too bad the vocals aren't louder.
* 15 - Peter Radiator - Cold Heart of Stone
What is there to say? The original is so great and this cover is almost as good!
* 19 - Clootie - I'll Be Blue
Another surprise for me because I think I'll Be Blue is the weakest song from DITS.
I love when the distorted guitars pop in at 3'04".
* 20 - Zipper - Whispering Weeds
Great way to end the cd.

I also like all the others (especially Czar) but MIB and Western Star. The originals are great and to me those covers are kind of heretic.
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  03:19:03  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
my 2 cents:

Headache- I really dig it.. vocal energy/harmoies, nice musical dynamics.
His kingly cave- it's hard to sing like Elvis. Peanut butter and bacon here I come.
Czar- freaking love it. Totally reminds me of TMBG. You had a vision and there wasn't any television. I have a nice accordian but can I play it? No.. I think I'd listen to you remake a whole album.
I will run after you- Nice recording, very sincere cover.
So. bay- Great vision for the song. Slide guitar is nice.
Oddballs- instrumentally almost dead-on, goodjob on lead guitar.. nice energy on vocals.
men in black- I love it. I was totally confused at first but then I got it. It added a dimension to the cd and I love how you resculpted the song.
Brackish Boy- Totally great. I think adding a full band behind this song was perfect.
Dog Gone- I really like the backing harmonies. Just a tad smoother and it would be awesome.
I could stay here forever- Well, I did this one so sorry for the vox everybody. I'll do better in the future. I became a tad desensitized to it mixing it over and over. I had mental and technical difficulties. It was a biotch for me to sing. BooHoo.
1826- I like the spacey sounds in this one sort of contrasting the style of song it is. Everything sounds good in this one, nice recording for sure. The solo part is like interdimensional acid rock. You should make a video with hippies in flying saucers.
Pure Denizen of the C.B.- I like the structure of the instrumentaion, you managed to build it like a model rocket with different stages.
White noise maker- Yeah, I say poop on the yamaha drums too. It really makes the next song's drums hit you hard in the face. Great effort with what you had though, I've been there for sure.
Skeleton man- great drums, nice vocal sound.. a raggae kind of feel to the cover that's cool. the only criticism I'd offer is I don't care for the horn sound.
Cold heart of stone- uh... it sounds pro. Everything is good! Damn dude.
The marsist- props to the people that really did an original version, this one included.
It sounds like the mind of some deranged guy who saw something that made him snap.
End of miles- I like the melancholy, somber feel to it. You really drive the lonely feel home.
How you went so far- A good recording. I like the added dimension with the outtro.
I'll be blue- Great recording. When the drums come in, it kicks my ass. You know what you're doing, man...and the last chorus and the outtro with the cymbol, guitar fade pan..geeze. Makes me realise how far I've got to go.
Whispering weeds- Nice end to the cd, the where is my mind parallel is cool.

hope I didn't leave any out.

I really like some of the b-sides too.. namely, big red, dog in the sand(old school version yey, man of steel by surf epic (wholly clipped audio batman!), and adda lee.. fer real. It's like the Danielson Famile meets the Moldy Peaches meets high school band practice. I like.

>Void Where Prohibited<

Edited by - miguel on 07/22/2003 03:46:25
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  14:05:03  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Here's my longwinded, very disjointed review. Don't hate me!:

Headache

Top knotch. The original got pretty old for me, but this cover gives it a whole new life. Very upbeat and energetic, and I couldn't think of a better song to open up the album with. As if I wasn't excited enough to hear the album, this was the first song I downloaded and almost began violently frothing as I waited to hear the rest. I find myself going back to this one often when it comes to listened to select songs off of the album. Fantastic job. I love it.

His Kingly Cave

Brilliant intro, it sort of fades in from unrecognizable air into guitar and organ driven bliss. I love the original, and I have to say this cover does it justice. The vocals are funny, but to be honest, after a few listens, I wish there were serious vocals on the track. The backing vocals are a perfect addition, and are pulled off very well. The beginning instrumental part seems to be slightly out of sync or something, though.

Czar

Of course, at first I thought "what the hell!?" when I heard the accordian (hey, Czar is meant to rock, right?) but was definitely reassured when the guitars came in. This is one of my favorite FB tunes, and again, you certainly gave it justice. The vocals certainly aren't the easiest, but you sure as hell pulled them off. I dig the "Old Black Dawning" fakey!

I Will Run After You

I wish I could sing better, but here's what I can do! It's an honor to be included on the final track listing, even so early, so I hope you guys like it. Oh yes, and this was recorded with an analog 8 track cassette recorder...bite me, digital.

So. Bay

Yet again, this is another favorite FB track of mine...my old band used to play it, actually. The slide guitar is a wonderful addition; it's almost a preview of how the song would sound if performed by the current Catholics line up...I love it. The recording quality is excellent. I *love* the drum sound. I have two complaints: the very loud and rocking feel of the song is lost with the acoustic guitar opening the song after the intro. It's always a let down when I listen, but I'll get over it. Second complaint is that, while the vocals are definitely a fresh take and are well done, they could benefit from a little more enthusiasm! They feel way too dead and should really be a little more upbeat. All shortcomings are made up for in the flawless ending. Great job!

Oddballs

I'm not a huge fan of the original, but, like the Headache cover, this cover definitely gives the song a new life. The vocal performance makes the song; it's top knotch, and couldn't be done better. The instrumentation is pretty much right on with the original, but with definite added energy. I can't complain about anything on this one, really. It's excellent...in short: I love the vocals.

Men In Black

Is this really "Men In Black?" This song wins the award for "biggest departure from the original," for sure. It's funny. The first time I heard it, I was a little weirded out by it, but after listening to it a few times, it's really a funny take on it. The keyboard on the beginning is cool as hell. My complaints: it's too long, the vocals need to be a little more prominant and a little more understandable. It sounds like it was a blast to record, though. I don't really like the original a whole lot, so I'm slightly biased against it. The one redeeming quality of the original, to me, is that it's pretty rocking, and this was lost in the interpretation.

Brackish Boy

I love the original, and I *LOVE* the cover. It definitely takes cue from the tiny clip of the Pixies version and the live, full band version. It rocks, what can I say. Is that Joey Santiago on lead? You definitely captured the Pixies sound on this one, whether or not this was your intention. I love the little added in riffs. My one complaint is that the beginning could have been mixed a little brighter; it sounds a bit muddy.

Dog Gone

I don't like the original. I do, however, like this cover. The effects on the vocals and drums add to the sad, eerie mood. The backing vocals are well done. One complaint is that the vocals seem to be a little too loud, or could use additional compression. They cut through in a shrill way in certain parts. Well done.

I Could Stay Here Forever

Beautiful. The intro is fucking hot (harpsichord, anyone?). The beat is great, like a sludgy dance beat. The keys in there remind me a little bit of Zelda 2 for the NES, which is a very good thing. The vocals are well done, but are wayyyy too buried in the mix. Maybe that was the intended effect, but they could benefit from a slight boost. This is definitely one of the best, most fun covers on the album. I love it.

Fuck everyone else, this is one of my favorite Frank Black tunes. Having a female sing it (holy shit, is that Kim Deal? hehe)? Risky, but you pulled it off. The song itself (the original, that is) doesn't really go anywhere, but it fucking *ROCKS*, and that's the intent. That rock-ness was captured full on in this track, and for that, I can't complain at all. The effects on the vocals add new depth and excitement, and almost make me think twice before saying Frank Black should never multitrack again. The space box also adds to the mood, but in the ending soloing it kinda of gets in the way and overpowers the track. Speaking of the soloing, holy shit! It stills blows me away after several listens. The howling vocals in the soloing are certainly a welcome addition. This is one of my favorites off the album..fan-fucking-tastic.

Pure Denizen of the Citizens Band

On the surface, it seems very minimalist. I love the original (I tabbed it [incorrectly?] for Derek a long time ago), and I can't complain about the interpretation. The fact that each little segment is different from the last is certainly a brilliant take of the original. Not only is each segement different, but the transition from one to the next is seemless. The chorus, while it doesn't really rock, is very cutesy in a way...the drum beat gives me that feeling. Now, the ending part, the fact that it isn't loud and rocking...that upsets me. But I got over after a few listens. I dig this cover. Thumbs up.

White Noise Maker

I don't like the original much, but I do like this cover. The rough raunchy guitar sound makes it much more exciting. The sound of the solo is very Pinkerton, I like it a lot. While the vocals are fantastic, the fact that so many notes are held gets on my nerves for some reason...I think that's a technique that's overused here. But hey, you pulled em off very well. I like this cover.

Skeleton Man

I despise the original. In fact, I think Frank Black cursed me in this respect. I would vocally proclaim my disgust for this song. Somehow my copy of Pistolero got a pretty nasty gash in it; can you guess which song is the only that skips on the CD? A reggae interpretation, not bad! I like the vocal stylings the most here. The bass is certainly exciting, and adds more life to the song as a whole. My one complaint: too long, but that's only because I don't like the original. The Pixies throwback is kinda weird, mostly because I find things like these to be too cheesy. I think I would rather listen to this cover than the original, if given that ultimatum.

Cold Heart of Stone

I love the original, and the cover is certainly terrific. I think this take is even slightly more moody than the original, which itself is definitely moody. I enjoy the reprise at the end, but in my opinion, the instrumental break before the vocals come back in at the end is a bit too long. The piano cuts through a little too much, too. Some of the vocals sound eerily like FB himself. I'd have to say this is one of my favorites off the album.

The Marsist

This was actually a song choice of mine a while back to cover. I gave up on it because I decided it was a little too advanced for me to pull off all alone and actually make it sound good. To that extent, I was excited to see someone picked the song to cover. That's about as far as my excitement went. The chaotic guitar and the bass and drum groove made the original, and that is completely lost in this interpretation. The droning keyboard sticks out like a soar thumb and becomes more of an annoyance than anything. The vocals completely lack enthusiasm. If there's anything positive I can say, I think the guitar and bass are done well, and the various background noises add to the alien invasion creepiness of the song. One of my least favorites, for sure.

End Of Miles

This is another song in which I do not like the original; I have a certain fondness for this cover. I think the vocal performance is excellent, along with the rhythm guitar. If there's one thing I could pinpoint as to what bothers me on this track, it would have to be the lead guitar. It doesn't seem to go anywhere, or have any sort of ways or means...it's just kind of playing notes. It could use a little polishing, for sure. That said, I believe this interpretation fits the song like a glove; stripped down and mellowed out, versus the upbeat somewhat rockiness of the original. If you look at the lyrics, this is certainly a sad, mellow track, and that mood is captured in this performance. The feeling of certain lines (such as "I'm lost and I'm lonesome to the core," which really sticks out) is conveyed much more clearly here than Frank Black's ho-hum version. And if you can one-up Frank Black, then you certainly have something going.

How You Went So Far

Without a doubt one of my favorite Frank Black songs; it's simply amazing. That being said, holy shit this cover is amazing in itself. The explosive intro grabs you and doesn't let you go. The vocals and instrumentation are dead-on. That lead guitar might even give Rich or Dave a run for their money! I'm speechless, really...I don't know what else I can say about this one. The jazzy outro is an excellent way to fade out. Fantastic...this is certainly one of my favorites (top 3?).

I'll Be Blue

The original never really grabbed me. I really enjoyed the post-Pistolero version which was posted for free online. The version on Dog In The Sand is pretty forgettable, but after this cover, I don't think the song can be forgotten. It's big, it's huge...I love the instrumentation. The vocals are well done, but not really my style. The song really hits me when it explodes into the second chorus, and that is no doubt the pinnacle of the entire track: loud guitar, rockin bass, double tracked (EXCELLENT) vocals, the works. While this might not be one of my favorites, that chorus has to be one of the best moments on the album, by far.

Whispering Weeds

I *hate hate hate* the original. I mean, really. I cannot stand Paul Simon, etc. etc., there's nothing I like about it. Obviously I wasn't excited to hear this, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. For some reason, this cover is a little more tolerable to me. The vocals and instrumentation are very well done. It's not a great departure from the original, so there's not much else I can really say. The throwback to the Pixies (for god's sake people, there are other songs besides "Where Is My Mind?") is alright I guess...at least it wasn't so very obvious, which makes it alright. Well done, but not a favorite.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000