Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  04:28:58  Show Profile
I like the catholics, but they don't have that fresh, raw and unique sound the Pixies have. I always try to imagine what the Frank Black and the Catholics songs would sound like played by the Pixies. I think it would be much better. I'd die for a Pixies reunion, but I'm a sceptic. I don't think it will happen. Not with Kim anyway, and she is such a big part of that band.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  05:04:42  Show Profile
i don't think frank hates kim as such, just would feel akward in that situation again.
and she's trying to give up the booze, so...nah.
i'd prefer to see them be friends than form the pixies again.
no matter how sad that sounds.

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  05:12:57  Show Profile
I guess you're right. That does sound a little sad.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  05:17:49  Show Profile
i'm sorry! i have become too attached to people i do not know.

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  05:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

I really don't think the Pixies should reform...

There are all the obvious reasons for avoiding it but also it's such an obvious thing to do - i think artists should try and surprise their audiences.

Maybe they SHOULD reform but play all the songs country and western stylee...
Go to Top of Page

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:06:47  Show Profile
Maybe it wouldn't be the same. But then again maybe it will. I never saw them live, so I'll take my chances.
Go to Top of Page

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:08:51  Show Profile
The Pixies always surprized me with every record they made, so why shouldn't they now?
Go to Top of Page

the_evans_boy
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:15:44  Show Profile
man... the whole pixies thing was just a l'il too early
for me the first time around... i didn't actually hear
any until '94...

i'd eat my own arse to catch them live now... no matter
what... i just don't get this elitist attitude that you
had to be there at the start and now it just couldn't be
the same...

you should be thankful that they can even get back together...
i never caught nirvana either... and am not likely too anywhen
soon either

(e)

ps. what's the deal with Kim & Frank?
Go to Top of Page

axel
- FB Fan -

Belgium
101 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:33:21  Show Profile
You should ask them and they would probably say "mind your own fucking bussiness!". And they would be right too. I guess Frank was/is a dictator on creative level. But I think he must realise by now that there was something magic going on with the Pixies, something that a bunch of studio-artist couldn't replace in a thousand years.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:43:15  Show Profile
as far as quality in the boots-i had the vinyl version of that bootleg
done in chicago in '89 and the side with those tracks was somehow mastered and cut well -it sounded very good. side two had some tracks
from a show in amserdam that were torture to hear.
recently the whole bootleg of that chi./metro show was going around and i got it and it sounded bad (CD) -even the same recordings that were duped from the vinyl -tape disintegration? -bad mastering?
-all i know is it definitely pays to have a nice turntable handy,
Title TK by the Breeders sounds so good on vinyl it just gets better as you increase volume.

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 07/11/2003 09:30:50
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:47:15  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

I don't think the reaction against the pixies reforming is necessarily elitist - I've never seen them play live, ofcourse i would have loved to but I just think that that was then and that this is now.

This parrot is dead.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:52:00  Show Profile
what would be fun is having the pixies doing catholics songs
and verse visa -nah, what would be fun is for frank, kim, joey and
lovering to make an LP or two together -with Steve Albini producing
-in conjunction with the live to two track method and the FB&C mob. unit -catholics take a break but hey as the recent recordings of FB&C
have had a lot of guest slots so can a pixie session -keyboards,pedal
steel and a little extra percussion never hurts....

R
Go to Top of Page

KingOfSiam
- FB LinkMaster -

USA
460 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  06:59:18  Show Profile
Don't do it Frank. RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN
Go to Top of Page

eiffel2003
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  07:23:48  Show Profile
The word is spreading...in the NYPost
PIXIE DUST?

FRANK Black says he has not ruled out a Pixies reunion and says the legendary rock band still gets together occasionally to jam. The Black-fronted Pixies, whom the late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain once said he copied on "Smells Like Teen Spirit," broke up in 1993 after five albums that influenced scores of musicians. "I do dream about a Pixies reunion, I do have to say," Black told London radio station XFM. "It's like those schoolboy dreams when you don't do your homework and you don't study for the test, but I'm at the gig and we're hanging out, but it's an utter failure and I don't know the songs, and hardly anyone turns up for the gig and people walk out. That's what I'm afraid of, that it'd be a big, big failure." Black just launched a solo tour to promote his new album "Show Me Your Tears."

Check the latest: Page Six | Cindy Adams | Liz Smith | Gossip Home

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  08:54:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by axel

I always try to imagine what the Frank Black and the Catholics songs would sound like played by the Pixies.

It's time for you to turn the page. Stop living a lie! :o)

I've seen enough reunion shows. A couple were great, but for the most part I'd say the bands should have let it rest. The Pixies still have a mystique that's best left alone.
Go to Top of Page

Perhaps
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  10:38:02  Show Profile
It will happen, maybe in 6-10 years. And we will all wait in line for this one, whether it is purported to suck or not. I would have to vote that it won't suck. How could it? It is the Pixies right? The band headed by Charles Thompson? Would he, at this point in his development, produce something that sucked?
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  13:28:06  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
First off, for all the nay-sayers out there... I don't care what you say, all musical integrity and ideological arguments aside, if the Pixies re-united and played a show in your town YOU WOULD BUY A TICKET AND GO. don't say you wouldn't, just is just a plain lie!

I can certainly understand why a Pixies reunion might not be "the same", or might not capture their collective band consciousness of a decade ago. But I personally never had the privilege to see the Pixies back in the day (I was young, not into them, and not living in the U.S. at the time anyhow).

All inter-band chemistry arguments and speculations aside...a reunion tour would be something primarily for the fans. A gift to the fans, so to speak (provided that everyone in the band was on good enough terms to undertake such a tour.) And I think that, in itself, is a very pure and good reason for a band to give it one more go after however many years.

Would it be the same as seeing them play 10, 12, 13 years ago? No it wouldn't.

Would I immediately get a ticket the split second it was announced, and soil my shorts while babbling gibberish like a man possessed with paramount excitement? Yes I would.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  14:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are few (if any) here who would turn down seeing such a show, much less travel great distances to attend such an event. But that doesn't stop me from saying that I'm quite happy the way things are and would be perfectly content to see them carry on this way.

Oh... and it would appear that NME was just reporting what was told to XFM, which I suppose means that he probably wasn't baiting them, and so the plot thickens...

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 07/11/2003 14:10:01
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  14:12:37  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
dare i say that perhaps, like somebody suggested, that the jamming is just joey, david and frank. maybe they would consider doing a reunion tour with a session musician. loads of bands do it.

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  21:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I'll be posting some info from an 'inside source' on the news page in a little bit, keep your eyes peeled.

(What a disgusting saying.)
Go to Top of Page

Omer
= Cult of Ray =

275 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  22:11:36  Show Profile
Well, as I've said before, I'll be the first to buy tickets, but please don't do it.

PsychicTwin says it will be primerily for the fans, but of course it won't. It'll be primarily for the Nirvana crows who only know 'Here Comes Your Man', 'Where is My Mind' and, if you're lucky, 'Debaser'. They will play arenas (or small clubs at extortionist prices), and do their best to pretend they are what they used to? I think it won't be such a good idea.

It will be a real shame if the Pixies turned into a fiasco like the Rolling Stones.
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  02:21:00  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
the pixies final uk tour was a wash out. they may not want to do arena tours. i mean, for the trompe le monde tour they played friggin cattle markets and only half-filled them - they may not, even after all this time, want to underestimated their fanbase - ie. if they reform for the money they will stick to venues a little larger than university halls.

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  09:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I hope this answers everyone's questions.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  09:14:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

note that all Frank says is "'we' do get together and jam", and that it's the NME that specified "Kim, Dave, Joey". Frank is almost definitely saying that he and Dave and Joey get together and jam, which we know, so it's the NME who extrapolates Kim's involvement from the word "we", so anyhow I think it's a stretch.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Remember how some of the press thought it was a big deal that Joey Santiago played on Dog in the Sand? Never mind that he'd also played on the first two solo albums.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  11:01:04  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Dave: you lying bastard.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

mundus_novus
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  19:49:09  Show Profile  Visit mundus_novus's Homepage  Click to see mundus_novus's MSN Messenger address
on thursday night my friend sean IMed me with the NME article and i definitely had my doubts--charles doesn't sing the same way he did fifteen years ago, the songs would definitely be different-sounding. in a bad way? perhaps. i hope not!

as far as old pixies bootlegs go, i LOVE all pixies bootlegs i've ever heard. they had powerful performances. sure, some songs are weak, but no band can be perfect outside of a studio with so many variables. weather, the audience situation, and equipment problems. things of that nature. "hey" and "gouge away" on DttP are two very powerful and amazing performances.

if the pixies were to re-unite and play in my area, i would do everything in my power to attend. even if i had my doubts. i would have to. all the previous posters are correct, nobody on this board would turn down the chance to see them play together again. i was a toddler when the pixies broke up, so you can imagine how ecstatic i would be to see them.

oh, and to the person who said that since kim and charles may not be on good terms they should use a session musician:
NO WAY. the pixies are not the pixies without kim, and i would be pissed off if they carried through with any reunion plans without her. they aren't the type of band that can go on without the original lineup. if kim will do it, REUNION TOUR BY ALL MEANS. if kim won't, scrap the plans altogether.
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  20:43:16  Show Profile
I'm agree with you that the pixes live without kim or any other member wouldn't be the same, but you said that frank doesn't sing same as 15 years ago... come on...!! did you hear how he sang caribou this year??, it was so amazing..!!! maybe he can't scream as before or maybe he can, who knows. And for the people that say that the pixies live are not as good as in the studio, I recommend them to listen to the bootleg le mouria, that's a great show..!! songs such as cecilia ann mixed with levitate me, stormy weather, all over the world, vamos, they all were played very powerfull.
Greetings... and sorry about my english :)
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  21:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Bwahahha..thanks Jim. ;)

Honestly, that's the final word.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  22:06:50  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
It's a very good joke, though.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

Black Frank
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  23:15:44  Show Profile
The Pixies were ahead of their time. If they were to reunite they'd blow all the new garbage that's being played today. I'm all for a reunion, but i don't think it may happen... especially if many of his fans (like some on here) don't want it to happen, which i find unfortunate.
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  06:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Even as a huge Pixies fan and sometimes-Black Francis figure in a Pixies tribute, I wouldn't wanna see a reunion happen, it'd be like the Sex Pistols ones- just 4 old guys playing music to old guys.

http://www.nimrods-son.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Golly
- FB Fan -

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  10:27:39  Show Profile
I don't think the pixies ever will be reuniting
But I wouldn't really mind a pixies reunion...and the "don't mess with history" talk is just bullshit. If they were to play together and feel that something good could come out of it, why not act on it? They're all proffesionals. I would be interested in hearing the pixies of 2003. if you're not, than your're pretty narrowminded. It's not always better to be safe than sorry!...Of course it wouldn't sound much like the 80s/90s pixies and that makes toying with the idea even more fun.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  12:37:19  Show Profile
not at all would it be like the pistols or most other reunions, they are all relatively young and
capable of more than what seems to be the consensus.
the buzzcocks did a fine job of re-uniting in the
early nineties and still do well on-stage as far as i know.
the smart thing would be to do some new material and i would hope they take that road -Kim is most
definitely a different person than way back when
(as well as everyone involved)and one would hope that this is a good thing concerning her and charles' relationship -i read somewhere that the
rift began with her lackadaisical attitude towards
the end on that last tour, something to do with her not being at a gig on time -she was just hanging out in her hotel room.
all i know is it would be sweet to see them work
in the modern world.

R
Go to Top of Page

BillyChildish
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  13:22:28  Show Profile
Yeah i actually saw the Buzzcocks last month. It rocked.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2003 :  20:59:48  Show Profile
thanks Dave. All my fears are eased now. I knew it was a joke and thank God.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000