New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  07:32:05  Show Profile
Surfer Rosa was voted Mojo top 100 greatest guitar albums of all time this month. i'm glad joey's getting the attention he deserves( one quote being 'santiago also reminded you how individual a guitarist can be, roping surf and spanish guitar into his unique noise.').

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie

Huey
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  16:13:11  Show Profile
lately i have been seeing a lot of "greatest albums" lists with the pixies on them somewhere, usually pretty high ranking too!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  16:55:17  Show Profile
Unlike most other "greatest" lists, I actually respect MOJO's opinion. It's been at the top of my "greatest rock mags" list for about 5 years now.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  12:26:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Mojo rules
Did you know that Joey was in a ''The 1000 greatest guitarist's''-book. It also mentioned the whole pixies thing and the fact that Joey played a Les Paul and Frank a Telecaster

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  16:23:16  Show Profile
in the little booklet they gave examples of 'the greatest guitars' and mentioned some albums they were used on, and i was surprised joey wasnt mentioned on the les paul(or frank on the tele). oh well.

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  18:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Who actually wrote the riffs for the Pixies?? I know that Black Francis is credited with the song writing, but does that mean he wrote all the music as well as the lyrics??? This is something which has always confused me, and Ive always wanted to know just how good a guitarist Frank is. Apologies for the naivety.

War....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  18:42:21  Show Profile
i really don't know, but i think it's safe to say that Joey came up with everything he did.. i'm sure there was some collaboration in terms of Frank saying, "how bout do something a little more like this".. but i don't think he's really one to write guitar solos..

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  18:43:29  Show Profile
also, i remember reading a comment by Lyle Workmen back in the day saying he loved working with Frank because Frank would just say "i'm going to do THIS, do what you want" when they would write together..
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
= Cult of Ray =

Sweden
308 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  05:33:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i really don't know, but i think it's safe to say that Joey came up with everything he did.. i'm sure there was some collaboration in terms of Frank saying, "how bout do something a little more like this".. but i don't think he's really one to write guitar solos..

Yeah, that seems natural I think, but ever since I saw that charles is credited for all music I assumed he wrote Joey's parts too. I mean otherwise Joey really REALLY should be credited for music too... I mean everything else would be like saying that his parts aren't important to the songs. But I mean, come on, who would listen to the pixies if they took away Joey's guitar? I wouldn't... but on the other hand, stuff like the lead on Bone Machine is such an elementary part of the song that charles probably wrote that... meh, I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  14:53:55  Show Profile
i thought when people where creditted with soley writing music just wrote the melody and lyrics. and wasn't there a big discussion about frank being the only one with the publishing contract? 'i dooooon't know.'

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000