Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  18:37:17  Show Profile
I may try and work something out for a Frank tune but I am not THAT good of a guitarist.. so.. we'll see..
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  18:53:55  Show Profile
I want to do "Black Letter Days" or something... but I record on tape and I don't think I have anyway to uplaod it onto my computer.

Any suggestions?

"Snooch to the muthaf**kin Nooch"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  19:08:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
If your computer has a Line In jack (which it invariably does, unless you're using a REALLY old computer), just take a walkman, grab a 1/8" audio cable from Radio Shack (if you don't already have one for computer speakers or something), load up a suitable recording program (I think Windows comes with one, otherwise d/l CoolEdit or something), and set it to record from Line In, then press play. If you're four tracking, this won't work, though, at least not easily.

If not, you could send it my way via mail or to someone closer that could do it.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  19:51:50  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I will contribute, but I cannot tell you which song yet. I listened to my version of The Marsist and I don't like it at all (probably because it was the first and only song I multitracked strictly on the PC...fuck digital). I might give it ago again, but if not, I'll pick another track that isn't already being done (I'm thinking "I Will Run After You" or another underrated song). I think we should also stick to one song per person, unless contributions run short.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  19:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Cool, let me know when you decide which one then.

I do agree on the one/person, but I'd like to get both from Robert Onion (I think he was the only one with two songs) in the event that we do, like you said, run quite short. But if we're at a decent number, definitely one per person.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  20:13:28  Show Profile
I think someone should aproach (and of course by "aproach" I mean "force at knife-point") Mr. William Shatner to do a cover of Two Reelers. This is an HI-larious idea floop, and it could also be a wonderfull artistic statement, in that Bill would finally be attached to a project that isn't complete garbage (Iron Chef USA?).
So in closing, I'd just like to say that if Cult of Frank only had a few more finals, he could not only organize this tribute CD, he could also be the president of a small South American country. Anything to avoid studying. Vamos a Peru por la democracia.

Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  21:15:32  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Yeah.. Action is good. Put me down for "Do you feel bad about it". It's super easy. If I feel like I got the beat, I might try something more challenging.

1c
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  21:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Done and done... and I mean done. If it's too easy, play around with it, try to make it different and unique. If you really want to make it impossible, you could always try to make it better than the original, but I don't want you to take on more than you can chew. :)
Go to Top of Page

carsonwerner
= Cult of Ray =

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  21:26:53  Show Profile  Visit carsonwerner's Homepage
mdisanto and I are getting together soon so I'm sure we'll record something for this crazy piece of work.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  21:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Great, the more the merrier. I was wondering if anything good was EVER going to come from Charleston. :) Let me know what as soon as you guys decide so that I can reserve it for you.

Incidentally, if you guys (and girl rockers ... sorry Brackish Girl, couldn't resist) want to keep up to date, I continue to update the Track List on page 1 as new people sign on or give up.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2001 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  05:58:07  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
Count me in.
It probably will be Adda Lee.

How much time do we have ?

Edited by - The Holiday Son on 04/15/2003 06:00:04
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  10:14:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Got 'ya... I've been figuring that I would need all songs in their completed form by July 1st, but the sooner the better for sure. I want to give everyone enough time to make the songs good, but not too much that the songs get abandoned. You are officially on board with Adda Lee.

Could everyone else who's currently listed on the track list that hasn't confirmed that they will be doing something please message/email me? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  10:35:47  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
What happened to lesonique? Started this thread and then never posted in it again, poor guy.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  11:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey hey, sign me up too, i've yet to decide which tune tho...prolly Jesus Was Right..

Doya wanna start a new thread for this, maybe in the Tab section (since a lot of musicians will drift there anyway) and we'll keep this all in there? Just an idea, cool if you don't like. I'll make it Sticky (ew) wherever you decided to have it.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  11:47:05  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I'm thinking I want to do Jesus Was Right or Billy Radcliffe.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  11:47:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

I think someone should aproach (and of course by "aproach" I mean "force at knife-point") Mr. William Shatner to do a cover of Two Reelers. This is an HI-larious idea floop, and it could also be a wonderfull artistic statement, in that Bill would finally be attached to a project that isn't complete garbage (Iron Chef USA?).

i would kill to hear him do one of his "covers" of a Frank song.. in the mean time, i'll do my best..

i''ll seriously try and so someting for real though too.. does it matter if the recording quality is total shit? not all of us on here are recording dynamos like so many seem to be..

floop
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  12:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Dave, it'd be kind of cool to have a page in the forum (that I can edit easily) that's just the track list so people can go see what's going on without going through all these messages, and then maybe a separate thread (in tabs or wherever you think most appropriate - you know better than me) for the posts on who's doing what, who wants in, etc. Also, once we get everything cemented as far as who's doing what, I'd like to have some sort of progress meter (which I could worry about keeping up to date... maybe on the same thread as the track list) where everyone's progress is shown. That way people know if they're behind and we keep people working on it. Also, I have you down for Jesus Was Right (I was hoping someone would pick that one up), let me know if you change your mind in the next little bit, because PsychicTwin is also interested in that one.

PsychicTwin, how does Billy Radcliffe sound? Dave's probably already doing Jesus Was Right, and we don't want to have two people cover the same song.

Floop, just try to get the best sound you can and/or threaten to kill Bill Shatner (tell him you'd kill to hear him do one of his 'covers'). :) What I used to do when I had nothing but a computer and a $20 Labtec computer mic (which did a pretty decent job, actually) was record the instrument first, then listen through earphones and record an other instrument (basically it was all keyboard), and then, not that I ever did this last step, record vocals. If you play guitar, you can get rhythm, lead, and even a bass with a little creativity, plus vocals. And again, if you want someone else to add something, let me know and we can arrange a collaborator. If you need help mixing, etc, I'm more than willing to help, but we can do that elsewhere (email or whatever). If the recording is too poor though, it probably won't get on the CD, not 'cuz I want to be a bastard but because we definitely want this to sound great start->finish, but I definitely want to help anyone who needs/wants it get their songs up to par.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/15/2003 12:31:42
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  12:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Alrighty then.. I'll know by May 1 if we get a good take of "1826" in the can. I'll confrirm yes or no at some point before that.

Stay Tuned.... BW
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  15:24:51  Show Profile
Craaaapp... hey Bill Goodman, can i "buy" white noise maker from you? ha.. see, I recorded a version 4 months ago to be on a tribute album for some guy on the Abstract Plain. It just needs a good vocal track but everything else is recorded. I guess it's up to you, but, I don't know how much free time i'll have to work up a new song and record it, but I'd like to contribute to this project somehow.

Oh, and when the "tribute" album tried materializing years ago on the abstract plain, people were suggesting what to call the album. I came up with "We're Just Romanov." I think one person liked it. haha.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  15:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Steak n Sabre I've added you to our track list for 1826, I was actually considering doing that one with Speedy M, but we've got a list of several that we might do, so not a big deal. Hopefully we'll take on one from one of the less represented albums like DW, DITS, or Pistolero, maybe even a b-side from Oddballs or otherwise.

ProverbialCereal, lets leave the topic of name along until we're a little further along, keep everyone focused on what song they might contribute. Sucks about not having claimed White Noise Maker, hopefully you & Bill can work something out. We certainly would want the [echo] tabmaster [/echo] on board for this!

... What?! No echo tags?!?!!?! Well, crap.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  16:24:50  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Cult of Frank-

"Billy Radcliffe" sounds good to me. I guess if I think of another one that I would rather do (and that no one else has picked yet, of course) then I might switch. But as of now, I'll be catchin' blue in my eyes that are brown.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  19:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey Dean - sounds good. You'll have to start a topic in the Tabs section, then you can keep editing it, and i'll make it sticky.

Thanks for doing this. =)

PT can do JWR if he's really got his heart set on it, there's a bunch of tunes i'd be happy to do, just put me down as TBA for now.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  19:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Alright, we've officially moved - Thread is Dead. D-E-Ah-D, D-E-Ah-D, ... etc ...

FB-CD Chat/Signup: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1559
This is basically where this thread has moved. Use this for all posts related to the CD except collaboration.

FB-CD Details: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1557
The up-to-date track list, details on the CD, and so forth.

FB-CD Collaborators: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1558
Anyone interested in working on a song with others, go here.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/15/2003 19:39:10
Go to Top of Page

hobobumsteak
- FB Fan -

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  01:30:29  Show Profile
Hell, I would do it in a stitch.
"I Need Peace" or "Superabound" or "Kingly Cave" or hell.. any leftovers.. I think I've tackled them all at one point.
Y'all should set up a list of tracks available.
Wait.... is "1826" taken?

Lawn cigar anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  08:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Sorry, just to reiterate a bit more clearly:

This thread has been moved under the Tabs section and is no longer active. Please use the new one to post. And hobobumsteak, I Need Peace is taken, 1826, and Kingly Cave is probably also taken (I can let you know tomorrow), but Superabound is not as of yet. Let me know when you decide - I will be updating the track list tomorrow or maybe tonight when I get home.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/16/2003 09:30:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000