New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

l e S o n i q u e
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  08:19:04  Show Profile  Visit l e S o n i q u e's Homepage
hey guys,

whatcha think about this idea? i'm a member of the Elliott Smith forum, and a while ago some of the members of the forum put out a fan appreciation (i dare to use the word tribute) CD. each person that wanted to be a part of the project chose a song, recorded it with whatever means possible (4 track, digital, professional) and then sent it to the person designated to be in charge of the project. whoever wanted a copy, just sent a blank CD w/ a S.A.S.E. so nobody was out any money. do you guys think this is a good idea? i think it would be really cool to hear how some people would interpret Frank's songs.

Edited by - El Barto on 04/14/2003 20:14:26

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:08:01  Show Profile
Interesting. I'd give it a whirl.
-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:08:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
sign me up for White Noise Maker...

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
There's no way it would measure up to the man himself, but not an awful idea all said. We usually fool around with Where Is My Mind and Freedom Rock, and just try our best to play an authentic Catholics' style Gouge Away, so I could see us potentially putting something on there if there was enough interest. Hopefully there would be no repeats and if there were several people doing the same song, the CD compiler would choose the best one.

Of course, the problem is that if this CD were remotely popular with forum members, someone is going to be out a LOT of time. We could always have someone compile a CD and put them on the FTP as well.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
... I wonder if the Big Galoof would do artwork for the disc / jewel case? BG?
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  13:50:23  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Haha...topics like this always make me laugh. The AbstractPlain has had plans to do a Frank Black tribute which dates all the way back to roughly 1999. It's been brought up every now and then on there...when this forum opened, we started talking about it again...and again, nothing happened. I'd be shocked if we actually got something together. I have a half finished version of The Marsist that I'm never going to finish, and I have a couple of half-assed me + acoustic covers on my harddrive.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  14:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, I could see that, but it would be pretty cool. Maybe if we made a list of who was doing what song or something that would help keep the people who signed up committed to that song and getting a good version out. Mind you, I'm not sure which song we'd want to submit, but probably it would be Gouge Away, so maybe that's not a good idea. Bill seems to be set... FrankNWeezer do you know what you'd do? And El Barto, I'd definitely like to hear a finished Marsist - no one ever covers that.

I suppose the key would be to get as many people on board as possible and then if some don't get anything done it's not a big deal. Worst case scenario (besides not having anyone do anything), we have to pick which ones make the cut, or at the very least we have a few cool covers to put on the site.

Is anyone else interested or is ElBarto right? 'cuz I don't wanna' fight at all.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  15:02:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
let's make it a FTP one with songs and maybe artwork.

I know this ideas come and go
But I would love to see it happen
It would be really cool if we would try to cover it in another versions, like a punk farewell bend and a stripped down I want Rock and Roll. Just an example....

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  16:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, we could use the FTP site for this...there's already a few covers on there i believe..?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  19:11:38  Show Profile
pardon my ignorance, but what is the FTP site?

i can't sing, or record, but i'll try and do something..

maybe i'll do "two reelers" as kind of a spoken word, william shatner-style ballad..

"a LOT of people love that jerome.. (dramatic pause) didn't you KNOW.. he missed his comb?.. didn't you know it? indeed, he missed his comb"..

or i'll take a crack at "old mulholland".. my current, constantly in my head song..

Edited by - floop on 04/10/2003 19:17:59
Go to Top of Page

bronko
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  20:07:28  Show Profile
I have a version of 'i need peace' recorded.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  21:04:14  Show Profile
I might be able to record Cactus..
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  21:11:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Very cool, I think we all should do our best to ensure that whatever recordings we put up are top notch and that all FB fans can enjoy... 'cuz if we can't do a decent cover, who can?! :) I certainly would love to have a CD of well done covers in the old batmobile.
Go to Top of Page

pong
= Cult of Ray =

France
315 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  23:34:53  Show Profile  Visit pong's Homepage
i'm into the party ! but : on FTP, or like the first idea, to someone who be charge of the project?

- Pong

"i'll be on the first fligh"
Go to Top of Page

Robert Onion
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  23:35:46  Show Profile
an excellent idea

last year i demoed Don't Ya Rile 'Em and Old Black Dawning.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  01:06:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
There already are a couple of covers on the FTP site, so I say we should stick to it. It's always great to hear people covering Frank's songs. As Jim mentioned, the idea of a complete tribute CD was launched many times and never really worked, but there are like 800 subscribers on the forum, so it might work this time.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  06:24:33  Show Profile
is anyone going to tell me what the FTP site is?
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  07:17:35  Show Profile
Floop, if you go back to the main page here (http://forum.frankblack.net/) you'll find a "FrankBlack.net FTP Site" section. I think everything you need to know should be in there!

Sorry if someone already replied privately.

As for the current debate, I'd say stick with the FTP idea for now and we'll see what happens.

~ A guy with no ear ~

--
"Sometimes I wish I were Catholic, I don't know why."

"Visits? That would indicate visitors!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  09:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I like the idea of using the FTP, but I just wonder if we would get people motivated enough if people just upload them to the FTP as they're finished. It might be a good idea to have someone in charge of taking in the stuff - heck, I'd even do it - and then having them upload a finished product. Even if we upload straight to the FTP, someone should be taking care of doing things like saying when the CD is done, what's on it, track order, getting artwork done, etc. Just so that we have some method to our madness. Plus, I suppose if some songs aren't making the cut, maybe that would get people to put a bit more work into them, not to say they wouldn't anyway, but you know... make them extra awesome. Just my 25 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation).
Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  10:30:43  Show Profile
I could do a breathy solo version of Shazdeb Andleeeb...

Every choice human being strives instinctively for a citadel and a secrecy where he is saved from the crowd -
Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  11:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey Dead - i forget who was trying to head this up last time, but if they come out of the woodwork, would you mind working with them?

Otherwise, i say go nuts, this is your baby!!
Go to Top of Page

parker_airspace
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  14:16:12  Show Profile  Click to see parker_airspace's MSN Messenger address
shit hot idea.......i'm in for this definately...........let's get this thing moving soon

- was smashed head on by a giant truck :( - Chris
Go to Top of Page

Robert Onion
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  21:57:04  Show Profile
we could also do a Pixies covers compilation too
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  02:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
One thing at a time, one thing at a time. :) Though I suppose that if someone didn't want to try to do a cover of FB but would try a cover of Pixies then it can't hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  23:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
What do you guys think? Do we try to do FB only or FB & Pixies? We should definitely worry about one compilation at a time though... it will be difficult enough to get that done.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  10:52:58  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I think this is a great idea, and I would love to contribute (Frank's songs are some of my favorite to cover!)

I think we should focus on FB solely, and leave the Pixies one for another project or something. Also, Pixies tributes have been done whereas FB ones have not (at least to my knowledge.)

I'll be following up on this topic...I think the idea is really good
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  19:42:03  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Frank Black-only...Pixies in future, maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  20:10:04  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Will you be gracing us with your version of The Marsist, then, El Barto?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  21:57:36  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
perhaps i'll try "i've seen your picture"

-brian

as breathing flows my mind secedes...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  17:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
POST BEGINS HERE
OK, so apparently my nickname is now Dead. :) I'm not sure why, other than my appearance, that I would have such a nickname, but I'll take it. Yeah, Dave, if you get the original guy who was wanting to do this, by all means this project is all his - I'll help where I can, though. I'm going to do this as a series of separate posts, which might be best moved to the beginning of a new thread so that they're viewable easily at the beginning of page 1. (Dave?)

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/14/2003 17:23:29
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  17:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Setup
I guess the way we'll work this is that I will build the compilation on my computer and when it's done, the final will get uploaded to the FTP site. If anyone has a better suggestion/problems with this, let me know. When you have a song done, just email me and we'll set up a way for it to be transferred to my computer. All songs will be Frank Black or FB&C's cover (NO PIXIES... yet). We'll need to set some sort of deadlines, again, suggestions welcome, but I was thinking that May 1st would be a deadline for committing to a song (not that we wouldn't take submissions after that, but those committed before that would get priority for sure), and July 1st (Canada Day!) for the songs themselves. Two months should be lots?

I'm not sure what level of input I should offer on this project (I'd love to hear opinions on this), but certainly I would like to ensure that all the songs on the said compilation sound good and are as good as they can be... which brings me to my next point.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  17:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Collaboration
If anyone would like to collaborate on a song with others, that would be interesting to know to. For example, if you'd like to do a version of something but don't feel you have enough instruments/whatever to complete it, I'm sure we would have a lot more interest if people were willing to collaborate. Final say on the song will be given to the originator. Credit will have to be given to all contributors. This way we don't just have a bunch of acoustic/vocal covers. For my part, I am willing to add keyboards if anyone would like to do so, and I'm sure there are people out there who play drums, bass, electrics, saxophones (Fu Manchu, anyone?) etc. that are also willing. If you'd like to collaborate, let me know what you can do! Also, if you'd like to have a collaboratee, let me know and I can help you set it up.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  17:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Alright, so here's what I've got so far:
- again, when a song is done, contact me privately and we'll set up something.

Track List Thus Far
1. Doog - Headache
2. Broken Face - I've Seen Your Picture
3. El Barto - TBA
4. Leah - Last Stand of Shazeb Andleeb (were you serious?)
5. Robert Onion - Don't Ya Rile Em or Old Black Dawning (send 'em both, if you feel they're done)
6. Bronko - I Need Peace
7. Bill Goodman - White Noise Maker
8. The Swimmer - Dog Gone (would you mind if we included this in the compilation)?
9. Cult of Frank/Speedy M - TBA
10. MMBanner - Space Is Gonna' Do Me Good
11. Little Black Francis - Black Letter Day
12. The One Contender - Do You Feel Bad About It
13. The Holiday Son - Adda Lee
14. Dave Noisy - Jesus Was Right
15. PsychicTwin - Billy Radcliffe
16. SteaknSabre - 1826

COUNT
FB - 2, TOTY - 3, CULT - 2, FB&C - 3, PISTOLERO - 1, DITS - 1, BLD - 2, DW - 0, UNDECIDED - 2.

If you are on the above list and you don't want to be, just send me an email or post and I will discreetly remove you so that you won't be booed by your beloved brethren. But I'll still boo you. From afar.

Anyway, we're at 10+ right now, though I admit that El Barto probably won't be contributing The Marsist, but I'm doing my best to rope him in (maybe you should all post some support for him). El Barto, I think that if you want to see this happen, as moderator it's your duty to finish The Marsist. :) Maybe you can even open the album... <under breath> pfft, yeah right.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/15/2003 13:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  17:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Uncommitted People

The following people have in one way or another indicated interest, but have not really said for sure that they will or even what song they've thought about doing.

Parker Airspace, pong, FranknWeezer, Le Sonique.

OTHERS, if you're interested, give us all a post. And how about a drum roll for all the members who will be slaving over a hot 424 (etc) to bring us this great CD? Let's get this thing going. Oh, and El Barto, would you post on Abstract Plain that we ARE doing a CD over here, and anyone interested should pop over here and get on board.

POST ENDS HERE

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/15/2003 12:16:41
Go to Top of Page

MMBanner
- FB Fan -

Russia
22 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  18:01:28  Show Profile
Excuse me, i'm late? But i'm want to sing in this CD too. Space Is Gonna Do Me Good - Ok?

Russian Fan Site - www.thepixies.narod.ru
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  18:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I've added you to our track list, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000