-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 honeycomb - the discussion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
two reelers Posted - 10/19/2004 : 01:35:58
downloaded this last week from soulseek (i did install soulseek just for this purpose). needless to say i will buy the disc when it comes out, but i couldn't wait for another half year.

the first impression was: wow, it's a long way from trompe le monde. trompe and honeycomb, with these two discs one can describe the idea of music frank black has, i think. i'm not saying these are his best works (well, for me trompe somehow is, and honeycomb may turn to), but the span such a wide range (musically, conceptionally, lyrically,...) which is perfectly filled by all other albums. trompe and honeycomb are just like yin and yang, like alpha and omega. if you get these two albums, you get frank black. imho.

more or less all songs from honeycomb are really very, very good. i loved them instantly, which is rare for frank, espeacially the late works. the lyrical pictures are so beautiful("to melt like honey in the sea" from selki bride). "i burn today", "sing for joy", "atom in my heart", "selki bride" are among my favourites, but it's hard to rank with a collection of only A+ songs. (okay, "my life in a storedge" is not that brilliant). "violet" and "strange goodbye" - knowing the story makes it hard not shed a tear.
when frank goes mellow, he sounds like howe gelb. even the voices are similiar. honeycomb can be no doubt mistaken for a giant sand album !

BUT....

there are some songs on this album where i had the impression i've heard this before.
examples:

"selki bride":
"if you retuuuurn again" - "those where the daaaays my friend"

"i burn today" reminds me of "true blue"

"sing for joy" - a bit like "everything is new" or j.cash's interpretation from "jesus, i don't want to die alone"

but maybe i'm just looking for stains on this perfect album. if you don't have it already, get i, get it, get it (and of course buy it, buy it, bu it when it comes out!).

Open the gate, it's a big Wiener dog !
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/17/2005 : 15:47:42
Thanks Chris!!! Glad to see ya back!

"I ain't goin to be what I ain't"
rockmusic84 Posted - 08/16/2005 : 16:04:18
Hey everyone,
I haven't posted in a VERY, VERY long time, and seeing as "Honeycomb" has been released recently, I thought this would be a good time to make a post.

What can I say, except brilliant. Frank's albums just get better and better. Jon Tiven's production works well, Frank's voice is in fine form, very natural sounding, and the music is amazing. And ya can't go wrong with Steve Cropper on guitar!!!

The album also sounds good. Great engineering. Frank's writing is top notch on this album, too. And I can't get "I Burn Today" out of my head!!! And that's a GOOD thing!!! :) I also like "Lone Child", "Atom In My Heart", and "Another Velvet Nightmare" (Velvet seems to be a recurring theme in Frank's lyrics).

Well, just wanted to put in my 2 cents on this fine album, and I hope everyone else is enjoying it as much as me.

Rock On,
Chris.

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
offerw Posted - 08/16/2005 : 09:07:58
I agree, fabulous album. It was released during our wintertime and it is perfect for these hazy late afternoons.

wilhelm
We've gone on holiday by mistake.
benji Posted - 08/14/2005 : 20:52:08
well i've had the album for 10 days or so, and i think it's fabulous. seems a natural progression after smyt. in a very similar vein, but even more country.
i like it alot.
who needs a new pixies album, when you've got material such as this coming out.

Join the Cult of Cartman! Respect my Authoritaah!!!
geertos Posted - 08/09/2005 : 03:36:31
Daisy Girl & Kelladwella: it's not written by FB. It's a traditional.
jediroller Posted - 08/09/2005 : 02:00:05
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13796

I jumped on the Frank Black Bandwagon/'Cause Pixies are so 2004
Southbound Bevy Posted - 08/09/2005 : 01:01:38
Do the songs on the album sound different from what we heard on leaked version? May be it was disscussed already but I'm reluctant to follow the whole length of the tread which has become monstrous over the month I was out.
Thanks.
gauth Posted - 08/07/2005 : 13:58:09
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

You are all welcome. It's great that it's finally available for real.

best wishes,
Jon

Congratulations! One of the best FB records ever. The sound is remarkable. Good job Jon.
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/06/2005 : 17:56:53
well, i was ass-uming they would do that too!!!

"I ain't goin to be what I ain't"
kelladwella Posted - 08/06/2005 : 16:27:54
I think youīre right. Most people would like to hear a bit of solo material thrown into the mix.
It would be a good way to diversify their setlist a bit more.

Another way to do that would be with new Pixies songs, of course...
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/06/2005 : 12:09:04
As far as I am aware, this is the fist time they have played FB solo stuff. I believe there were rumors stuff for the Yellow/Orange album was intended to be for the Pixies, but I am not sure it that info is factual or not.

I think it's a good idea that they throw in Breeders/Amps stuff, too. B/C i think for the most part most of the fans of the Pixies like the solo work of the artists in the Pixies.
kelladwella Posted - 08/06/2005 : 11:36:22
Yeah, itīs good song. Quite folky. But not too much for my taste.
Glad to hear people (and in that case especially mhotter) enjoyed it.

Itīs cool that the Pixies are playing some FB solo material.
For the first time, isnīt it? Or have they done that before?
They could even throw in some Breeder/Amps stuff.

Daisy Girl Posted - 08/06/2005 : 10:28:46
For what I know it's a FB original. Like what Kella was saying, it was recorded when the other songs for Honeycomb were recorded.

Great tune!
mhotter Posted - 08/06/2005 : 08:43:43
thanks for the quick and informative reply about the tune. The audience reaction was receptive, I thought. the response was pretty rapturous pretty much all evening. The band surprised us all by playing acoustically, as warm-up for today's appearance at the Newport Folk Festival. I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't get to see Joey rock the Les Paul, but it was a very enjoyable night nonetheless.

As far as my own reaction to the "All Around the World" song, I enjoyed it very much - thought it was a classic, hence my question about whether it was a cover or trad. song, thought I don't think so. It might be a variation on anolder song, though.

mhotter, how was the audiences (and your) reaction to 'all Around The world'?
[/quote]
kelladwella Posted - 08/06/2005 : 08:37:32
'All Around The World' got recorded during the Nashville-sessions but didnīt make it on Honeycomb.
It will be featured on his new album 'The Sicilian', I think.
Wich should be released in the beginning of 2006, if I remember correctly.

I donīt know whether itīs a cover or an FB original. Thatīs an interesting question...
Does anyone know?

mhotter, how was the audiences (and your) reaction to 'all Around The world'?
mhotter Posted - 08/06/2005 : 07:46:37

Regarding: All around the world

Hi there. I just saw the Pixies play in Albany on Thursday night, and they played this "All Around the World" tune. It was the first time I heard it, and I'm curious, is this a new Frank Black song, a traditional song, or a cover? And is it available on any Frank Black-related albums? Thanks!

Put the needle in my arm
And I’ll be dead and gone
Put the needle in my arm
And I’ll be dead and gone
I wouldn’t mind a needle
I’ve just been on this road so long, oh boy
Been all around the world

Daisy Girl Posted - 08/05/2005 : 16:36:04
actually if you look back at this thread zolt G, there was a lot of discussion prior. hope this helps!
Zsolt G. Posted - 08/05/2005 : 08:37:15
Hmmm...is there another thread where people actually discuss what they think of the record?
Daisy Girl Posted - 08/02/2005 : 19:30:02
Well it's so funny... I listen to records in layers.

I think the first cool subconcious thing I latch onto is the beat.

And now after looking at all the layers... the melody, the instuments, the vocals, the lyrics, I am starting to really appriciate the true beauty of the beat and rythm.

Jon if you're around can you share any info on the procussion?

I mean it's so beautiful and flows like a heartbeat guiding us through each song... it seems so efortless and soulful... but I know anything that good is has some true artistry behind it.

Thanks!
1965 Posted - 07/29/2005 : 02:10:46
Mr J Tiven : was wondering if any other tracks were recorded during the Atlantis session, or was it purely a one-off track for the Japanese release? thanks.

btw I would like to submit an amazon review, but I don't have the CD yet. Honeycomb release has been delayed for some reason in Australia & as far as I know, local copies are yet to surface. Not good...

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **
Jontiven Posted - 07/22/2005 : 13:41:05
There will be a new album next year and dollars to donuts the songs you mentioned will be on it.

I would appreciate it if everyone who reads this thread would post a review on Amazon.com, it will help in a big way.

bye,
Jon Tiven
NimrodsSon Posted - 07/22/2005 : 13:17:16
Mr. Tiven, If there's one thing I can say I'm truly disappointed with about Honeycomb it's that such amazing songs were left off. I mean, "Kiss My Ring," what a great song! It ranks right up there with "Atom in my Heart." Then "All Around The World" and of course "Highway to Lowdown"! I guess you have to leave some songs off in order to have a record that's a reasonable length (I hate most 60 minute records), but is there any chance that any of these songs will ever be officially released on some kind of EP?

ĄViva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
kelladwella Posted - 07/21/2005 : 05:28:48
Does anyone know, how the soundscan-sales of HC are doing?
fbc Posted - 07/21/2005 : 04:47:05
quote:
Originally posted by atomicbart

ps : you did a really good work, bravo

They sure did.

Frank, Jon and the rest who deserve a mention, you've made a great record.
I hope you're proud of it as we are of you
atomicbart Posted - 07/06/2005 : 13:17:01
Hello,

Mr Tiven i love love love the soli of Reggie Young on Dark end of the the street and My life is in storage.
On my life is in storage (i read it's an impro), the touching is very sensitive, very real (i don't know if you're understanding my english !).
I think it's a fender sound am i right or not at all ?

Thank you very much
ps : you did a really good work, bravo

Atomicbart
Jontiven Posted - 07/06/2005 : 12:58:44
You are all welcome. It's great that it's finally available for real.

best wishes,
Jon
remig Posted - 07/06/2005 : 11:07:31
M. Tiven, the CD is sounding (and IS) so much better than what we might have heard a year ago!
It's really different and comparing to the ancient versions, I can appreciate the great job you did!

Congratulations!
kathryn Posted - 06/26/2005 : 07:05:35
No prob, Daisy. Thanks for the timely reminder!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Daisy Girl Posted - 06/25/2005 : 21:30:10
sorry folks for posting this in two threads... but I know a ton of you will want to catch this at 6pm est tomorrow!!! Sunday!!

Check it you can catch Frank BLack and Honeycomb this SUNDAY is the last chance for this show!!!

http://www.woxy.com/boards/showthread.php?t=28282

listen @ http://www.woxy.com/
kathryn Posted - 06/24/2005 : 11:31:59
Jon, next time you pop in check out

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13348

Jontiven Posted - 06/24/2005 : 10:59:58
Tues June 28th is the official radio date.

STARTING TUESDAY, PLEASE FLOOD THOSE PHONE REQUEST LINES! We burn today!

Have a great weekend.
bye,
Jon
Daisy Girl Posted - 06/21/2005 : 17:49:37
not a bad idea..kiki..

Well Skatealex requested I Burn Today on WOXY and they played it today.

He rocks!
kathryn Posted - 06/21/2005 : 03:43:28
hell, start a countdown thread.

fbc Posted - 06/21/2005 : 02:58:27

sorry guys
i've never been here during the release of another record.
very, very exciting.
can't wait for those who haven't heard HC to finally hear

Oooh, the potential threads we could have. Yay!

Daisy Girl Posted - 06/20/2005 : 19:21:50
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

[quote]Cooking Vinyl

29 days, Daisy
International Honeycomb Day

whooo whoo!!! i am looking forward to this more than I do my birthdays!!!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000