New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that we can compare the different versions of the HC-songs, has anyone spotted major or remarkable changes between the mixes?

Jon Tiven allways kept insisting that the leaked version was not the final product and did not necessarily represent what the artists wanted to express.

Now I´m curious. (and too lazy to work it out by myself, didn´t spot anything obvious so far)

Edited by - kelladwella on 07/21/2005 05:22:02

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For starters and not to state the obvious, "Kiss My Ring" is on one and not the other.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, true.

But that´s not really comparing the versions of the tracks, is it?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:45:34  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Double tracked vocals in the chorus of SSMVGD

Double the Frank. Now we're talkin'
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kelladwella

Well, true.

But that´s not really comparing the versions of the tracks, is it?

My bad.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:47:01  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bad k

someone of your postage really should know better

Edited by - fbc on 07/21/2005 05:47:42
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the mixes were supposed to be very different, except maybe in a couple of places. The main difference is that the released version is mastered and the other was not.

ˇViva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  07:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i actually hear quite a few differences:

starting from the top:

much bass heavier mix overall, but especially on 'selkie bride'

shorter outro (quicker fade) on 'another velvet nightmare' (you can no longer hear the 'i got blisters on my fingers!' in the background)

added new backing vocals to 'go find your saint' in the chorus

ms. jean black's harmony vocals in the chorus of 'strange goodbye' have been pumped up slightly, and the fade out is slightly different too

the intro to 'ssmvgd' is slightly shorter as well, plus the double tracked vocals on the verse dissappeared, and they appeared on the chorus. also the 'la la la la la la's switch over to falsetto one time before on the leaked version. this is the only change, along with the 'i got blisters on my fingers' that i will really miss from the O.G. version.

that's all i've got so far

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Edited by - Broken Face on 07/21/2005 07:36:24
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  08:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you're all paying close attention.

Mix of "Storage" is completely different. Likewise most of the songs you mentioned were remixed, not just mastered. The mastering is like the last layer of shellac, and I wouldn't want anyone to get splinters.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  08:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'll have to relisten to the 2 storage versions after lunch - thanks for popping in!

ps. there is an excellent masterer present on these very boards if you're ever looking to spread the wealth, his handle is Atheist4Catholics, and he's worked on a few of my label's releases and done a fabulous job. (you're welcome for the plug Tim!)

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  15:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey Kelladwella, nich thread, man! There's been some good posts here, very informative. Anytime you get Sir Jon to post you know your thread has some substance to it. And Broken Face has once again added to his street cred.

I'm gonna enjoy the official Honeycomb for a couple of weeks, then get someone to send me the leaked version, and then I can listen and hear what you guys are posting about for myself.

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  16:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

t o I
t h e D e li v e r e d
d a r k e n ed my
a u di t o r i um F u nk
Go to Top of Page

surferben
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  17:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think that the final version has a much smoother sound. i couldn't believe how much nicer it sounded to me. i really enjoy the way you get to hear all of the subtleties on the tracks much better now. without being able to name specifics off the top of my head, it seems to me that i can hear the keys and secondary guitar tracks that i couldn't really hear or couldn't hear just how beautiful they were. anyways, thanks mr. tiven, for your part in such a wonderful record. i was very happy to buy three copies on tuesday morning.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  19:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The final version has less songs than unofficial version that i downloaded, 14 v/s 19, the following song doesn't appear in the final version:

- Kiss my ring
- All around the world
- Highway to lowdown
- sad man's song
- where the winf is going

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1485 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  00:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, why no "Highway to Lowdown"!!!?
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  06:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, that is a quality song

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  16:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Highway To Lowdown" on THE SICILIAN as of right now.

I hate to be a nag, but I re-implore all of you to keep up the heat on the request lines at your local radio stations and write reviews on Amazon.com as this stuff really does help.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

Steev
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  20:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Steev's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, far fewer songs. Boo.

I bet those songs will show up on an upcoming album, with a bunch of other songs we've already heard.

Doody doody doo!
Go to Top of Page

jtanner
- FB Fan -

89 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  21:11:53  Show Profile  Visit jtanner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

"Highway To Lowdown" on THE SICILIAN as of right now.

I hate to be a nag, but I re-implore all of you to keep up the heat on the request lines at your local radio stations and write reviews on Amazon.com as this stuff really does help.

bye,
Jon

Back off Tiven! Just kidding.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1485 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  09:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Jon, I'll do what I can.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  11:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just arrived my copy of Honeycomb, it's sounds great!!!! by far better than unofficial version
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  19:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally got a copy of honeycomb last week...wasnt in a huge rush to snag it since im in a weird funk musically right now (lotta beatless chillout techno and madchester...hey, its summer).

having chimed in earlier about hoping the final sounded a bit more "lively" than the leaked copy i heard...and how a lot of what a leak is depends on how well the person leaked it ripped it...

...dunno if its postproduction after the leaked copy or the ripper's fault...but its a lot more crisp, especially the precussion. very happy. great job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000