Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  04:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A request has reached me from CV asking for the support of FB net forum members to help promote I Burn Today/Honeycomb in the UK and Europe. This ties in with a comment Jon Tiven made on another thread -I'm sure Jon and Back Porch would support this approach too. Basically, the idea is that forum members request I Burn Today, and in a few weeks tracks from Honeycomb, on radio shows (including internet stations), and indeed anywhere where Frank's music can be promoted. I Burn Today is already getting good airplay on a number of stations here, for example, BBC Radio 6.

If you belong and already contribute to other music-related internet sites or message boards it would seem to be a good idea to promote Honeycomb on these sites too. However, joining a fan forum with the opening gambit of "Hi, I'm new here, but have you heard the great new album from FB..." is likely to be counterproductive!

What is in it for you/FB net, I hear you cry? Ehhh, admittedly not much, although CV have been very good at keeping FB net in the loop with Frank-related news, and the promotion of Frank's music in itself is surely a good thing, and in this particular instance might lead to a "Honeycomb" tour, if sufficient sales are generated.

So, if you are willing to help, request/promote away!

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  04:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ten Percenter, it sounds like a plan to me. I'll do my part here in Guitar Town, and, as many others have stated here, I'll buy some Honeycombs on the release date for some of my friends and myself.
Go to Top of Page

BrendanT
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
907 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  08:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't record promotion what record companies get paid for? At least a portion of it? What have they done for me lately? (Aside from keeping us in the FB loop as part of their promoting scheme.) I don't think that a Honeycomb tour is likely seeing as the money the Pixies are bringing in is hand over fist.

I am sure that we will do what we can.

Strummer-man
I had me a vision!

All of a sudden my water broke!
"There was a man Who made a boat To sail away And it sank.".

Edited by - BrendanT on 06/16/2005 08:36:07
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  08:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True Brendan, and they are promoting the album, and indeed approaching the same sites/stations that they are asking FB net forum members to hit - the two are hardly mutually exclusive. On your other point, Frank himself has indicated that a Honeycomb tour is possible after the Pixies tour, but I'm sure that it would be more likely if Honeycomb sold well.

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  09:03:47  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hopeful, based on what I have read, for a honeycomb tour, it's a passion thing, if the interest is there I think there will be a tour and for the interest to form honeycomb's got to sell and for honeycomb to sell...

and I haven't met an FB fan yet who isn't good at spreading the word!

The easiest way to sleep at night is to carry on believing that I don't exist
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  09:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i too shall help. i plan on buying 5 or so copies first day and then just giving them to friends

i've been meaning to do that for the past few FB albums, but i finally have a steady job so i can afford to blow 80 bucks on spreading the word

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  02:16:23  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some links to request forms and radio shows that have already played honeycomb songs follow, most have contact details on them if anyone feels like getting in touch to request/applaud the playing of 'I burn today' or any other Honeycomb tracks.

Mark Radcliffe :
Steve lamacq: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mb6music/F2064137

BBC Tees tracklist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/tees/content/articles/2005/06/03/pure_020605_feature.shtml

I burn today as far as I can tell has been played by the following:

Tom Robinson on BBC6 http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/tom_robinson/

Andrew Collins http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/andrew_collins/

Chris Hawkins http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/chris_hawkins/

Mark Riley http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/rocket_science/

On Virgin you can make requests online if you register for the site. http://www.virginradio.co.uk/djsshows/contactus/index.html?to=studio

XFM link and honeycomb article
http://www.xfm.co.uk/messageboard/default.asp.
http://www.xfm.co.uk/article.asp?id=75511

The only online station I know (does anyone know of any popular others that will take requests/ has played FB?)
http://www.woxy.com/music/

and asides from the BBC has anyone heard it play yet?

Edited by - starmekitten on 06/17/2005 02:17:01
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  04:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know a radio 1 dj but i doubt she'd play it

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  04:39:16  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mekitten you star.
i'll be terrorising* them like crazy with anonymous requests

*ooh, can i say this? you know what i mean.

[edit: w'oh! some serious spelling mestakes]

Edited by - fbc on 06/17/2005 08:57:03
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  04:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hey, kids, do you like that rock 'n roll music? Then check out Frank Black's new single 'I Burn Today'! You won't be disappointed, it packs the wallop of pure emotional power rock that you've been seeking all your life!! Smoke it and see! This is DJ Carlos signing out-keep on groovin', you jive-ass crazy beatnix!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  07:28:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
all people of fb.net,

buy the record!

if every soul on this forum would buy it,
maybe more than one copy, we can not be attacked
on the point that we downloaded it months ago and did not
eventually buy it.

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  09:08:59  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we'll buy it Bill. no worries there.
otherwise, why exactly are we here?
we may aswell takes our thoughts over to pixiesmusic.com.

i say release the record now.
i'm ready to spend a few notes in the name of 'soft sound' (as my itunes likes to call it)

Hey Carlos? i smoked it
i did what you said
and now i'm an addict.

my family blames you.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  10:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's reefer madness!
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  18:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted this in one of the other Honeycomb threads.

1.Does anyone have sirius or xm satellite radio? I don't, but I know they have some channels that we could email requests to that might have a much better acceptance rate than the clear channel stations.
2. Still, I think it is worth calling some of the clear channel stations a few times a day to try to request something for the heck of it. The one in Dallas has a special Sunday night show that is programmed by a dj at the station instead of by computer, so we might get some positive results through that kind of thing.
3. Call your good local cd stores about Honeycomb to ask if they have it (the more talk about it the better!), and at least buy what you can there in case they have top selling cd lists that they send out in their own weekly emails to their customers.
4. We need clarification about the sales tracking thing (soundscan?) that was discussed a long time ago: is it more valuable to buy at a big retail store that reports to soundscan, or do all cd stores report? I don't know the answer to that.

All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats interesting, how do they work out sales and the like?

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  16:38:30  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bar Codes
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  17:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can't believe no one was impressed by me knowing a radio 1 DJ :(

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  17:06:17  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey, i did wonder to myself who the DJ is and how you know her
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  17:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  03:15:55  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that's a she?

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  04:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
naw, i'm just smirking because i managed to cultivate some interest :P

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

number 13
= Cult of Ray =

286 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  09:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've downloaded it months ago but I'll buy it anyway. Just for the artwork, the liner, the pictures... Just for having the real record.

I've spoken of the Pixies and Frank Black a couple of times on many forums and some persons discovered it and then love it. I'll continue to do my part!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  13:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thread tenpercenter!!

If people in the Minneapolis/MN area (there's a ton of us!!) or listen on line (internationally or anywhere)

Here's a cool station... They were playing Where is My Mind on the drive home last night. They also play Frank Black and the Breeders on a regular basis.

http://www.publicradio.org/applications/formbuilder/user/form_display.php?form_code=e7d78b6c2e2d

Here's a link to request songs by phone on another station that plays "Headache" and live and recorded Pixies:

http://www.drive105.com/contactus.asp

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 06/19/2005 13:46:41
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  14:09:33  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brilliant Daisy, feeling the buzz... it's feelng good

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  14:57:22  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know Jonathan Ross has championed fb in the past

if anyone else wants to suggest he plays 'I Burn Today' for the pleasure of a nation here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ross/contact.shtml

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  15:55:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  16:18:12  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm clapping like a little circus seal here FBC

you sir, you rule.

Edited by - starmekitten on 06/19/2005 16:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  17:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Kitty you are a dear!! Hope classes are going well with you!!![;)} xoxo

One idea I had today is to contact the other fans I have met through meetups here in Minny and let them about this whole thing that us fans are doing!! Maybe if we all contact the ppl we know through the forum... they can help get the word out too!!

Ahh.. I forgot another radio station for people to call!!

It is WTTS. When I lived there in the 90's up until a few yrs ago... that was the station I listened to...

It is laid back playing some classic rock like the Beatles up through the present. It's a interesting variety including lots of classic blues.

Anyway... I think they would love to play "I Burn Today" if people there request it.

And I know that there's fans there that have posted... so if you guys read this ... call in!!! 1-800-923-WTTS

http://www.wttsfm.com/contact/index.htm

Another one is X103... It looks like they've changed their format back to more what it was like origanally based on the website. But based on the play list, it's still to the harder side of Alt rock.

Here's their request line: 317-239-X103

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 06/19/2005 17:45:38
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  19:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

fbc, you just keep getting cooler, man!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  03:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man it would be great for him to get interviewed on jonathon ross aswell as play.

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  06:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for all of the contributions so far.

More good news, "I Burn Today" is now on BBC Radio 6's Playlist A:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/listen/playlist.shtml

True, this might have more to do with Frank's recent session on the Andrew Collins/Gideon Coe show, but I would like to think that the requests from FB net have had some form of impact too.

I remember Frank being interviewed by Jonathan Ross before "Show me your tears" came out - it was a great interview, sadly not archived on J Ross's site.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw, I'd love to hear that.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

I remember Frank being interviewed by Jonathan Ross before "Show me your tears" came out - it was a great interview, sadly not archived on J Ross's site.

was that a radio interview or on friday night with jonathon ross? i meant the latter (that really would be cool but the first would be cool to listen to aswell.)

Oh let it linger

Edited by - PixieSteve on 06/21/2005 10:22:57
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:22:55  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can, Carl.
I'll emither it to you if ya like.

(it was on his radio2 show, PS)

Edited by - fbc on 06/21/2005 10:23:41
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be great, tanx!!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:36:51  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(YOU GOT MAIL)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000