Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  15:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Northern Exposure on blu-ray. Reliving is really living!

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  03:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Artie from Larry Sanders on liking the Breeders: their first album, "the second one was a disappointment." Heh.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  11:41:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I watched that Living With Yourself too. Started OK, but kind of lost the plot very quickly and I had to force myself basically to watch it to the end (because I also couldn't find anything else to watch on Netflix)

I felt myself being constantly unsettled by the consistently pleasant nature of Aisling Bea's character though, I kept waiting for her to throw a tantrum and show some traditional Irish lass feist. All the Irish birds I've ever known in my entire life (including the ones on TV) always had plenty of feist. Not Ailsing Bea though, she was like a butterfly fluttering carefree through a summer meadow the whole time and I just can't square this dichotomy of stereotype up in my head.

Edited by - pot on 10/29/2019 11:42:13
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  22:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

still good! Producers and directors of much of today's "different" but same run of the mill, trying hard to out-shock-and-awe each other's ultimately ridiculous and tiresome shows, could take notes.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  16:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Robot and Always Sunny (which is almost always funny)
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  14:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

quote:

still good! Producers and directors of much of today's "different" but same run of the mill, trying hard to out-shock-and-awe each other's ultimately ridiculous and tiresome shows, could take notes.

I grew up on great American TV of the 70s and 80s. Now it's unwatchable. The delusional left have thoroughly corrupted the culture.

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2019 :  08:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL

quote:
The delusional left have thoroughly corrupted the culture.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2019 :  12:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

LOL

quote:
The delusional left have thoroughly corrupted the culture.

Well, you know me.

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2019 :  09:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Americans (just finished season two) and The Tick (have started season two). Enjoying them a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2019 :  14:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Americans is a show I liked but found it so hugely praised by everyone all the time in ways that seemed strange to me that it made me not want to like it. I did enjoy it though.

I tried watching The Tick and gave up after 6 episodes.

Currently really enjoying Harmonquest, which is a show that is like impossible to recommend due to how hard it is to find. But I...recommend it regardless.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2019 :  22:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't usually give two shits about superhero shows or films but I'm a sucker for Peter Serafinowicz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU

Harmon's got a pretty great track record with Community and Rick & Morty so will try to hunt that down in time.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2019 :  16:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've finished both seasons of "Fleabag." Damn, that's a good show. Such good writing, characters, acting.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  10:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
City On A Hill. Boston in the 90's, police/crime drama - genre is full of great shows, this one doesn't really do anything differently but takes a wee bit of everything and is less slow paced than contemporaries.

Kevin Bacon as a middle aged (dirty?) cop and a great soundtrack. Heard about 5 seconds of Dead by Pixies in episode 2. Entertaining so far (3 episodes in).

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  01:02:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sicario 2 is a lot more watchable than Scorcese's latest effort (The Irishman) Can't really remember much about the plot of the first one, but I remember liking it. The sequel is even better though, and even if the plot seems a bit hard to follow it doesn't matter because it's a just a great cinematographic experience with stellar performances all round. Benicio del Toro is bad ass, and there's a nice Pacino-esque "say hello to my little friend" moment near the start. I predict young Isabela Merced is going to bag herself an oscar one day as well if she keeps on acting like that.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2020 :  15:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Irishman was good. You know, Marty being Marty.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  13:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baraka and Samsara for a tiny glimpse into the majesty of it all.

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am into season 4 of the Sopranos.

It is living up to the hype
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  22:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jesus that means you watched seasons 2 and 3 of Sopranos
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  06:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

jesus that means you watched seasons 2 and 3 of Sopranos

You are not incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  07:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Sopranos is still on our hit list. And coupled with Darwin's mention of Mr. Robot, that's only the second time I've heard of it (but was told I'd love it).

We used to watch Suits. That got worse and worse. Abandoned ship in season 8.
I still watch the Simpsons; that show also got worse for a long time but has gotten better again.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.
We kind of stopped on Succession and debating re-starting.

And we've been going through some Survivor seasons. The Pearl Islands is so far the best one I've seen or expect to see.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  09:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As someone who stuck with The Simpsons as absurdly late as about 2 years ago, I just will never believe the show got better. It became this sad ritual every week, watching this show that I now can't stand, forcing myself to do it and feeling this awful miserable feeling once again. I finally had enough of it at some point two seasons ago and never looked back. Not that there weren't occasional OK episodes...I recall enjoying one where Homer starts bootlegging movies a few seasons back. But as a whole, oh my goodness.

I've said this before but I'm just always amazed people out there still haven't seen Sopranos and they only have vague notions that hey it's pretty good! I don't even know how to process that.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  11:38:04  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand! I have a cousin that's never seen Breaking Bad OR Game of Thrones. Sopranos is our next target once we are finished with our Survivor run.

As for The Simpsons, I can empathize. I actually stopped around season 15 (after nary a good episode since season 12) and then eventually came back. It's still nothing like it was in the first ten seasons (or more specifically, season 2-7) but I do think it's better now than it was in seasons 13-25. That said, I can't think of a single episode off the top of my head that was excellent or to point to as an example of a return to greatness. Meanwhile, re-watching Futurama I can't believe that show didn't last longer. The writing is so sharp!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  16:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought Futurama went incredibly downhill in its final 3 seasons or so, and it should have ended earlier. It did have a few really good ones as it prepared for the end, but I was just dreading Futurama every week and worrying it was turning into another Simpsons. There was one season on Comedy Central I really hated...The first one on CC was good but maybe the next? There was an episode where they were fish or something and I remember thinking this doesn't even have anything to do with...the future...or anything, it's just a bunch of horrible fish jokes. You're saved from cancellation and this is what you do!??

Sopranos is something really unique. I like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones (some of it) but Sopranos is kind of another level artistically. It's a work of art...it's incredibly complex and ambiguous and haunting and smart.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  11:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool! Well then I'm excited to get to the Sopranos!

As for Futurama, I've only watched up to Season 5, but my favourite episode (Roswell that Ends Well) is in Season 4. 5 was hit and miss, but still overall enjoyable I thought. I do have them all now so we'll see how badly it goes down hill. Good to go in with realistic expectations so thanks for that. :)

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  19:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm talking about the Futurama seasons on Comedy Central which I believe was like seasons 7, 8, etc...Seasons 4 and 5 are friggin brilliant. To be specific, I very much enjoyed the first two movies they made after the show was canceled. Then I absolutely hated the next two movies they made. It's like that was when the weird shift was of "they had so many more amazing stories to tell" to "they are out of stories now."

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 02/13/2020 19:03:35
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2020 :  09:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished latest season of Better Call Saul.

It's getting real good.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  05:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason I just watched Event Horizon. I didn't realize it had a huge cult following for being a "so bad it's good" kind of movie. I wanted to like it, but man did it stink. Could have been so much better, as they bill it "The Shining in Outer Space." Happy for those who have come to obsess over it.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  10:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New season of Curb is good.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  14:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Outsider on HBO has a few annoying things but it's mostly a solid cool mystery story that has a good atmospheric spooky vibe.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  04:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been doing the four Pierce Brosnan 007 films. On the last one now had never seen them before. Very good as far as I can tell, but I'm no Bond-ologist.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  05:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I've been doing the four Pierce Brosnan 007 films. On the last one now had never seen them before. Very good as far as I can tell, but I'm no Bond-ologist.

Most men who spend time on forums are Bond girl-ologists!

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  21:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"and now for something, completely different"
https://youtu.be/u0WOIwlXE9g

and please, skip the add

Edited by - danjersey on 04/05/2020 21:48:48
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  22:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've watched the Hot Wings show and dig it. I enjoy a good interview. Hot sauce is nice but I've always thought of chicken wings as a shitty food. Interesting gimmick though. Would love to see someone get up there and hold a live chicken in their arms while eating.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  15:39:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Ozark might actualy be even better than Breaking Bad. There, I said it.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2020 :  17:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Platform

Weird and disturbing and relevant to our time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000