-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 What are you watching?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trobrianders Posted - 06/19/2013 : 03:04:59
TV shows and the like. Just started watching The Returned (Les Revenants), a French Twin Peaksy drama series about a bunch of coach crash victims who return from the dead to their Alpine town. Neither the victims nor the townsfolk know why this has happened. The drama is played completely straight, I think that's why it's so gripping. Two episodes in so far. Denis you been watching?

Stevio10 Posted - 03/13/2024 : 13:31:20
Watched all 3 seasons of Dark. Loved it!
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/11/2024 : 14:33:43
Season 3 is okay (a bit plodding, but with a strong lead performance); season 4 is a hot turd.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/11/2024 : 07:07:20
Have not seen
Bedbug Posted - 03/11/2024 : 04:51:36
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

We just watched True Detective season 2 and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend sticking with it.

What did you think of 3&4 (if you’ve watched)?
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/10/2024 : 21:12:10
We just watched True Detective season 2 and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend sticking with it.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/10/2024 : 15:13:14
True Detective Season 1 was quite good and should've just been left alone after that. Different elements came together to make something unique but a lot if not most of it was based on McConaughey and Harrelson's chemistry. The good thing is I can just ignore the other seasons. I didn't even know they were still making these.
Bedbug Posted - 03/09/2024 : 13:29:05
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

Yeah. It was really odd seeing publications and some reviewers writing how good the new season was when anyone I know who saw it seemed to agree that it was not good.

Oh boy, I finally finished it this morning, it was horrible. I really hope they let this show die off and don't keep trying.
Skatealex1 Posted - 03/08/2024 : 13:38:44
Yeah. It was really odd seeing publications and some reviewers writing how good the new season was when anyone I know who saw it seemed to agree that it was not good.
The Maharal Posted - 03/08/2024 : 11:44:27
Yeah heard it's absolutely terrible. The first was fantastic. Tried to get through season 2 but couldn't get past the second episode. It was just very dull.

Bedbug Posted - 03/08/2024 : 05:48:41
oh man, this latest season of True Detective somehow manages to be the worst one yet.

I have no idea how it's rated so highly.

I'm having trouble finishing it.

Basically season 1 is terrific and the next 3 are bombs
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 02/25/2024 : 14:51:28
Dimland. Quite good not at all what I thought it was going to be nor where it went, different.

The Blazing World. Like the above, another indy film. Well done, interesting and intense emotionally.

One Punch Man - Season 1 could be viewed as its own unique story, one could stop there.

Chainsaw Man - Not as good as One Punch but enjoyable and disturbing.

Cheers
Bedbug Posted - 02/19/2024 : 10:59:23
Finally saw Oppenheimer, and all I have to say is there is no way that the studios cannot give it to Nolan this year
TarTar Posted - 02/09/2024 : 22:16:29
Here is every movie I've watched so far in 2024. I finished Ted Lasso and am on season 4 of The Wire.

He’s Out There (2018)
Rust Creek (2018)
Lakeview Terrace (2008)
Jackie Brown (1997)
Ponyo (2008)
Trapped (2002)
A Lonely Place to Die (2011)
Killing Ground (2016)
Captive (2020)
Creep (2014)
Soft & Quiet (2022)
The Nest (2020)
Kevin Smith: Silent But Deadly (2018)
Game Night (2018)
Certain Women (2016)
Meek’s Cutoff (2010)
Hardcore (1979)
Night of the Comet (1984)
Wendy and Lucy (2008)
Anesthesia (2015)
X (2022)
Lolita (1962)

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/29/2024 : 22:49:28
I loved The Curse, but I'm a bit undecided on the final episode. I wasn't that into it.

We just watched, very overdue, season 2 of True Detective, which for the most part, I thought was great. Underrated, it seems.

Yes, me and my wife try to watch all the Oscar stuff. I mean most of it. We just went to a screening of Anatomy of a Fall and I found it hypnotic. We recently watched May December, The Holdovers, Iron Claw (how is this not nominated?!?), All Of Us Strangers (also should have been nominated), Poor Things (eh) and American Fiction (frustrating.)

Also saw decidedly un-Oscar movies Night Swim and Anyone But You and The Beekeeper! We're just going to the theater constantly! Tons of fun.

I have never heard of Society of the Snow, strangely enough. I want to see Zone of Interest next, I think.
Bedbug Posted - 01/27/2024 : 12:39:45
Anybody watching any of the Oscar nominated movies?

I just finished Society of the Snow, and it was just incredible filmmaking, harrowing story telling, exceedingly emotional. I laughed and I cried.
Bedbug Posted - 11/20/2023 : 07:56:23
The Curse is fantastic

Nathan Fielder coming through again

Highly recommended
pot Posted - 11/19/2023 : 02:13:04
The Rat Catcher
This new short film on Netflix starring Richard Ayoade, Ralph Fiennes and some other bloke
It's an adaptation of a short story by a well known author don't want to give too much away as I went in with no idea what it was about and was pleasantly entertained for 20 minutes
Don't miss it
Bedbug Posted - 11/13/2023 : 14:25:22
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

The show Superman and and Lois had an episode with 4 or 5 Ween songs in it. It was really crazy.

Currently watching? Kind of in between big shows right now. One episode of Boardwalk Empire left (FINALLY.) Started Superstore which after a terrible pilot has very quickly become delightful.

No kidding?! thanks for the tip Trouble I will look for that
Troubles A Foot Posted - 11/03/2023 : 22:30:32
The show Superman and and Lois had an episode with 4 or 5 Ween songs in it. It was really crazy.

Currently watching? Kind of in between big shows right now. One episode of Boardwalk Empire left (FINALLY.) Started Superstore which after a terrible pilot has very quickly become delightful.
Bedbug Posted - 11/01/2023 : 10:53:55
The Morning Show on Apple must have somebody in production who is a Ween fan
pot Posted - 10/29/2023 : 03:51:12
Just watched Bull - some weird gangster film from 2021
Best avoided if scary gangster films featuring grotesque violence isn't your thing
That said it is a little bit more than your ordinary gangster flick - confusing plot until the ending and then it's still a bit wtf?
I like a good off beat film that's difficult to fathom and leaves you thinking
Neil Maskel I'd say probably his best performance in anything I've seen yet
Very dark - reminded me of the darkness in the film Naked
pot Posted - 09/22/2023 : 11:26:50
One or two nice celebrity cameos in the latest season of It's Always Sunny - I'll not say in case it's a spoiler for somebody - great stuff again - utterly mental slapstick comedy - up there with all the all time best US comedies now I'd say
Bedbug Posted - 08/25/2023 : 07:09:32
Looks like Dune 2 is being delayed due to the writer strike. Wonder how much longer
pot Posted - 07/20/2023 : 23:08:09
Half way through series 2 of Detectorists - BBC comedy started in 2014 just turned up on the Netflix - Mackenzie Crook of The original Office fame's creation about a metal detectorist club somewhere around Saxondale in England - it's really fucking good actually and I'd say has a bit of an edge on some of the more recent comedies from Gervais
pot Posted - 05/28/2023 : 12:05:01
Nope - looks good though see if I can get that bagged while I'm still on 6 months free
Bedbug Posted - 05/28/2023 : 09:39:11
Pot forgot if this already came up but have you watched The Silo on Apple at all?
pot Posted - 05/27/2023 : 02:13:51
Just watched the first episode of Natasha Lyonne’s new series Poker Face - hitting the ground running - looking forward to the rest of this

Weird though that just after Anne Heche is whacked for the documentary on elite child sex trafficking she was working on this series comes out - coincidence or part of a psyop to plant the idea in the maleable heads of the masses that elite child sex rings are nothing more than a work of fiction ?

Either way - first episode nails it - real Tales of the Unexpected ending - but still 5 more eps to go…

Oh but now Ep 2 is picking up the storyline and introducing new characters - and what a cast - lots of faces you’ll know from Looper which as it happens was also directed by Rian Johnson whose baby this is - so already some indisuputable talent there

I’m also getting a bit of a Better Call Saul vibe from it too with the slightly cryptic plotlines which are so cleverly woven together and the rewarding plot twists - no more spoilers

I think it will go down well with a few of the regular contributers to this thread
Bedbug Posted - 05/06/2023 : 13:08:00
Watched the Banshees of Inisherin

I am all for enjoying movies that I do not get, but man I did not get this movie.

If anyone from that part of the globe would like to shine some light that would be much appreciated.

Enjoyable enough experience but I was lost

Also, Love and Death with Elizabeth Olson is good, especially if you like things like The Staircase

pot Posted - 05/02/2023 : 00:46:04
I suppose if they did something similar in Scotland I might feel differently - but it's just a film. At least in Braveheart the plot was serious and most of the actors were Scottish

The world is full of people claiming Scottish ancestry too - I just take it as a compliment. This WMT though is just an almost fairytale story told in the setting of an idylic Irish farm village

I liked it

quote:
Originally posted by Newo If you've never been to Ireland,

I have been once - for my stepbrother's wedding in Dublin in 1990. I went to Dublin.. for One Day

Horrible, sleepless, cramped journey in the back seat of a Mini Metro across on the ferry to NI and back. Me an my mate from school got hooked up with a couple of bonny Irish lasses at the reception and I even wrote a letter to mine but nothing became of it
Newo Posted - 05/01/2023 : 16:22:32
"Plastic Paddy is a slang expression for the cultural appropriation evidenced by unconvincing or obviously non-native Irishness," from the venerable Wikipedia. We use that term quite often, mostly in reference to Irish-Americans who make a meal of their tenuous links to the motherland, and Wild Mountain Thyme was made by one of those people. If you've never been to Ireland, yeah sure the scenery in the film is nice, but to give you an idea, WMT reads to a native as if Braveheart had William Wallace riding into battle on the Loch Ness Monster while playing the bagpipes - just so many stupid and lazy stereotypes crammed into the frame together that the only sincere reaction is one of derision. Imagine if everyone in Trainspotting wore kilts, that's Wild Mountain Thyme.

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
pot Posted - 05/01/2023 : 05:29:29
Do the yanks ever complain about all the British actors pretending to be American in all these shows and films that seem to feature an awful lot of English actors putting on American accents - with varying success - can't say I've ever heard any that were so bad

Is there a shortage of real American people to play these parts or something?

It's called "acting"

Oh right

It is though

Stop trying to ruin my Emily Blunt fantasies!
pot Posted - 05/01/2023 : 01:58:50
quote:
Originally posted by Newo

It's extremely grating to Irish ears, I can assure you. Dodgy accents and ripe stereotypes everywhere, had the whole country laughing or cringing or both upon release. Glad you enjoyed it, just FYI that plastic Paddy stuff doesn't go down well here (but tbf, the intended audience is not native Irish but rather Irish-flavoured Americans, as there are 30 million of them)

Plastic Paddies? Oh come on it's just a feel-good romcom

I take it you're in Ireland then Newo - I looked up the filming locations and it's apparently filmed in Country Mayo or something - if nothing else it had some plretty lush Irish countryside

I suppose those from Ireland might have a problem with the accents but you know it's just a film - part of acting is playing characters different from your own and part of that can involve putting on an accent - if they'd used all Irish actors then Christopher Walken and Emily Blunt wouldn't be in it

It's like Braveheart - as a Scottish person I can hear Mel Gibson's accent is a bit dodgy - and it's historically inaccurate - but it's still a great film !

I've seen plenty of other Irish films recently featuring genuine Irish people but they're all about guns and violence and gangs and stuff - good films too but less uplifting

All I can say is I thought it was a beautifully made film and all the acting parts convinced me well enough - I mean we are talking some of the best Hollywood actors to play the "plastic paddies"
Newo Posted - 04/30/2023 : 17:15:27
It's extremely grating to Irish ears, I can assure you. Dodgy accents and ripe stereotypes everywhere, had the whole country laughing or cringing or both upon release. Glad you enjoyed it, just FYI that plastic Paddy stuff doesn't go down well here (but tbf, the intended audience is not native Irish but rather Irish-flavoured Americans, as there are 30 million of them).

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
pot Posted - 04/30/2023 : 14:28:04
quote:
Originally posted by Newo

that film was the laughing stock of Ireland when it came out, and Emily Blunt's accent sounded like a seal on Xanax.

A seal on Xanax - or Seal on Xanax?

Not really sure what either of those things sound like but I thought her accent was fine
Newo Posted - 04/30/2023 : 13:03:34
that film was the laughing stock of Ireland when it came out, and Emily Blunt's accent sounded like a seal on Xanax.

--

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000