Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2020 :  14:59:10  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy 70th Birthday to Mark Mothersbaugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcD_G2zOJuA
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  16:33:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Benjee Ferree's forgotten classic debut album Leaving The Nest
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2020 :  05:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Jack Black Hanukah album actually has a lot of good tunes on it, Flaming Lips, Adam Green, Tommy Guererro and a bunch more. I'm really enjoying listening to it.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2020 :  18:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fxk2JrZgvAI’m
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2020 :  13:02:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always a mark of a classic album if you come back more than ten years to revisit it and you still love the songs as much as you did when you first heard it. Never ever seen Benjy Ferree play live, or I mean live on Youtube and I don't think he has this band anymore and plays solo and everything he's released since hasn't been as good IMO but I totally love the whole country/farm thing about his first album, there are some really lovely songs on it. Anyway, here's Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AurO_kjdLo
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2020 :  03:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adam Green has a nicely done cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart Again.

And I've been really into the Elk City cover of Monkey Gone to Heaven lately
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  12:02:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anarchy in the USA by Megadeth
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2020 :  17:11:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r28sgLOyGzM
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2020 :  20:58:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Black Hearted Love

#BlackLivesMatter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AupNf6DOaPg

Peace and love
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  04:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suicide - Dream Baby Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvhTIOJeJ4
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  13:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
24-7 Spyz

Best the best
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2020 :  05:18:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Debut album from London indie band, Sorry. Quite a refreshing sound and original. Also remind me a lot of Peter Kernel and Drahla, two of my favourites.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1x4UFeq7sIZohSXgitqWXp
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  10:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Dylan album is sounding good
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  17:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Dylan album is sounding DAMN good.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  18:37:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had a listen to the first 4 songs off the new Bob album. Sounds good. Sounds like a pre-death album also. I'll give it another go tomorrow but right now I am still smitten with Asha Lorenz

This band have great potential to be the next Sonic Youth or something

Great lo-fi indie sound, experimental and non-genre specific. They seem to have the right mix of experimental and melody that the Pixies had in their day.

Great new indie bands are coming around every year but I have a feeling about these guys.

Check out their debut album 925

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiBTA5BCl1Y

Early demos/experimental video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8YjRyYC-FA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVD83yPxa5c

Raw and acoustic and untouched (judge for yourself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70gojHLxc-E

They appear to have millions of stuff on youtube (enjoy)

Edited by - pot on 06/19/2020 18:58:00
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2020 :  02:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

Suicide - Dream Baby Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvhTIOJeJ4

Great! Suicide did the scariest song I've ever heard - Frankie Teardrop. I don't recommend listening to it walking home in the dark! State Trooper by Springsteen is inspired by that song.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2020 :  08:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jX1KAKp78
F u
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  23:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just been listening to my ipod on shuffle mode for two weeks straight. Some highlights:

The Ramones. I must confess I never put on Ramones albums though they are all on my ipod. I find them a bit repetitive to sit through, though being from the same town and high school as them, I feel incredibly attached to the Ramones as people and as a concept. I live a few blocks from "Joey Ramone Way" and there is a Ramones mural around the corner from me. However on shuffle mode, a Ramones song coming on is a wonderful delight.

I also have a handful of Elvis Costello albums on my ipod but never listen to them. A song pops up here and there and it's usually pretty fun.

Random Frank pop ups...songs from The Golem, Pixies demos, Catholics, etc...always great.

I have every volume of the Batman: The Animated Series score on my ipod (four 4-disc sets.) While film score is usually skipped on shuffle, there's been some wonderful little pieces that always amaze me...this was a damn children's cartoon and it has the noir-ish score of a feature film every week with a full orchestra, written by brilliant composers.

Hardcore Devo, a two-disc compilation of early "punk" Devo, is something on my ipod I never listened to. But songs pop on and they are pretty great.

PJ Harvey is a weird one for me. I only like two of her albums: Let England Shake and The Hope 6 Demolition Project. I had tried to listen to her other albums but they never hit me the way those did. But on shuffle various songs are popping up and I'm like hey, this is pretty damn good.

Bands I love but haven't listened to in years, being reminded how wonderful they are. April March, Ween, Violent Femmes, Cynthia Hopkins, Young Fresh Fellows, etc.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  12:34:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2020 :  13:07:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've always been a massive Led Zep fan, since way back in the day (1989) but why has it taken me more than 30 since I fell in love with Physical Graffiti to get into their last 2/3 studio album? I've seen them in record shops but always assumed the reason no one goes on about them is because after Houses of the holy they lost the groove. But no indeed, they kept the groove going on through three further albums. The fucking drums on Achilles (track 1 - Presence)! Jimmy's guitar. The alt versions of stuff on CODA. Is In the light my favourite song? I listened to them on spotify while walking a section on the southern upland and back. All the way from Sanquhar to Wanlockhead and back, over the hills and far beyond. Would I turn back with 16 miles to go? No, I turned back with another 8 miles to go. And that's 1 year after recovering from a broken ankle with metal it in now! I deserve a medal. Why did I turn down the chance of a face value ticket to Page-Plant at the SECC in 1994?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2020 :  10:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Dylan is beyond very good actually.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2020 :  04:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three favorite tracks, Bedbug?

Mine are:

Mother of Muses
Murder Most Foul
Key West

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2020 :  09:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Three favorite tracks, Bedbug?

Mine are:

Mother of Muses
Murder Most Foul
Key West

quote:

Key West is definitely my favorite track.

I like them all, but I would say the opening two tracks are two of the very best, just behind Key West.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2020 :  07:46:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seriously how amazing is Tanya Donelly?

I've never checked out her solo stuff much, but since it's all up on Spotify for free and I remembered how much I like Belly I thought I'd check her out.

So many epic songs I've never heard before, like Lantern and Mary Magdelene in the Great Sky. The Swan Song Series, whatever the fuck it is well worth a check out. And all her albums, every single one.

She is super talented and amazing and I love her

Edited by - pot on 08/01/2020 13:46:17
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2020 :  04:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Seriously how amazing is Tanya Donelly?

I've never checked out her solo stuff much, but since it's all up on Spotify for free and I remembered how much I like Belly I thought I'd check her out.

So many epic songs I've never heard before, like Lantern and Mary Magdelene in the Great Sky. The Swan Song Series, whatever the fuck it is well worth a check out. And all her albums, every single one.

She is super talented and amazing and I love her

My favourite Tanya album is probably Lovesongs for Underdogs. Think it was her debut solo album after Belly but sounds more like Belly than all her others. Rich Gilbert played on that album (and others) plus I think Dave Lovering played on an early EP. But agreed, lots of good albums. Good read on her 4ad page;

https://4ad.com/forewords/rhode-island-odyssey/
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  06:03:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

My favourite Tanya album is probably Lovesongs for Underdogs. Think it was her debut solo album after Belly but sounds more like Belly than all her others. Rich Gilbert played on that album (and others) plus I think Dave Lovering played on an early EP. But agreed, lots of good albums. Good read on her 4ad page;

All her albums are great. You know the song "Still" from Swan Songs? That reminds of some other song, but I can't put my finger on it. I've tried googling things but nothing comes up. It's either a cover or just happens to sound like another song, or is a kind of tribute to another song withing a song. Do you know?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  07:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

All her albums are great. You know the song "Still" from Swan Songs? That reminds of some other song, but I can't put my finger on it. I've tried googling things but nothing comes up. It's either a cover or just happens to sound like another song, or is a kind of tribute to another song withing a song. Do you know?

by Ween, check recent live versions for extended fun.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  09:51:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

by Ween, check recent live versions for extended fun.

It's a cover of a Ween song? (ie. which one) or it sounds like a Ween song? Only album by Ween I've heard is The Mollusk..

Right I'm with you know...

Edited by - pot on 08/06/2020 09:55:16
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  14:39:28  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New (debut) Cold Beat album. They released an EP of Eurythmics covers 2 years ago (which was very good especially Love Is a Stranger) and this is their album. Lot's of cool dark wave sounds of the early 80's in there. Bit wavery but on the whole defo worth a listen if you are into this kind of thing.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7fYIpw20VmSmbSLUdZHd3R
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  23:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After being a bit lukewarm to it, I've finally been totally getting into the newest Morrissey album.

Highlights:

Jim Jim Falls
What Kind of People Live in These Houses?
Knockabout World
Darling, I Hug a Pillow
Once I Saw the River Clean
My Hurling Days Are Done

Morrissey knows how to end an album. Almost every final song on his last several albums would be perfect final career songs, they're always these grand closing statements about time passing and life being over and looking back on your life, and all with humor and sadness perfectly mixed.

My only real issue with the album is the use of autotune, which he may have been doing for a while but it has never been more immediately noticeable. I've seen him live and he doesn't need it, so I don't get why he does it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  12:04:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cold Beat's entire discography is just sick as fuck actually. How could I have simultaneouly missed both their new album this year and their entire back catalogue(pre - A Simple Reflection EP)

This track is beautiful. Uplifting, but at the same side a little bit dark. They are a post-punk electro dark/cold wave synth pop and rock band from LA. Lot's of Blondie and Joy Division in there, as well as (and not least) plenty of strange and eerie early 80's synths. Top band who seem to have gone under the radar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmnnM2fWm8
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  14:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to like it, but it just didn't take. I should go back and give it another try.

quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

After being a bit lukewarm to it, I've finally been totally getting into the newest Morrissey album.

Highlights:

Jim Jim Falls
What Kind of People Live in These Houses?
Knockabout World
Darling, I Hug a Pillow
Once I Saw the River Clean
My Hurling Days Are Done

Morrissey knows how to end an album. Almost every final song on his last several albums would be perfect final career songs, they're always these grand closing statements about time passing and life being over and looking back on your life, and all with humor and sadness perfectly mixed.

My only real issue with the album is the use of autotune, which he may have been doing for a while but it has never been more immediately noticeable. I've seen him live and he doesn't need it, so I don't get why he does it.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  14:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just discovered the Belgian singer Jacques Brel. Wow! Shame I don't know French.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  16:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wanted to like it, but it just didn't take. I should go back and give it another try.

It didn't take for me either, but my girlfriend has been playing it every day and it finally clicked with me, except for maybe one song.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2020 :  12:51:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just discovered the Belgian singer Jacques Brel. Wow! Shame I don't know French.

Don't know much about Jacques Brel but his name gets bandied about on the radio, and I'm sure I must know a few of his tracks.

Big Serge Gainsbourg fan here, or French music in general. I think French is probably my favourite foreign language.

Some of Serge's smokey, jazzy stuff is incredible.

Also Keren Ann is a good French singer, songwriter to check out. She sings in English and French.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000