Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  16:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Born out of magazine thread. What of kind gardening do people do? What have you had success with?

I'm a novice, but did alot gardening with my mom when I was a kid. I've grown tomatoes, zuchinni, and herbs (like cilantro and basil). Tomatoes grow wonderfully here (Central California) but I'm looking to add some more variety this spring/summer. Maybe some green beans or other squash. Any favorite garden vegetables?

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've grown marijuana. I admire anybody who can garden and having nothing to offer
to this fine thread. Happy gardening.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a little vegetable garden, but I don't do it myself, although I know how to do a little. And it's very good to see the vegetables growing healthy and after it's even better to cook them and to have meals with it.

So this is for when you're feeling happy again
And this is for when you're feeling sad
And this is for when you feel...
Something
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
everything food related seems to melt in the heat as soon as i plant it, the exception being citrus. i used to have the most incredibly orange tree, some sort of hybrid, no one could tell me what it was. the dept of agriculture was kind enough to chop it down because someone in a two mile radius had citrus chancre.

hibiscus topiary i've been messing around with.

A monkey will eat dirt if you make him.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:35:08  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rita, how do you have a vegetable garden and not garden? That would be a nice option when the weeds are at their worst and it's 90 degrees in the shade.

My favorite vegetables? Well, I'm not sure what is good in your zone darwin, but I will just list the ones that seem to have done well for us here in Columbus (zones 5/6) (and some even in downtown Chicago (of all places)), with our very clay-rich soil. We start everything from seed, what we can we plant inside and move to the garden.

Rhubarb - LOVE it, kale - same, need cool nights (good fall crop), seventop and mustard greens, beets (Spudboy likes em, not me), carrots, rutabaga (very good), turnips, tons of different tomatoes, some heirloom variety seeds Spudboy's grandpa developed, had a horrible time with broccoli, but only because we planted it too late and it was a transplant too, plus the rabbits got to it, lots of herbs, too many to list, and asparagus is still immature, about 2 years it should be producing well, French Market and Kentucky Wonder pole beans, greasy beans, peas (need to be planted early, also with innoculant), Silver Queen and a couple other kinds of heirloom corn, but we have had a horrible time with racooons here - got to eat about 12 ears total last summer, between the crazy windstorms and the coons). Tons of peppers, I could list em if you are curious - faves are habaneros though. I'll stop now because this is getting long.

I will say that for the most part Three Sisters planting works very well (corn, beans, squash) to protect from pests like coons and bugs, this year was the first year we tried it and we managed to get some corn, last year there was *nothing*. We got some good pumpkins too.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

Rita, how do you have a vegetable garden and not garden? That would be a nice option when the weeds are at their worst and it's 90 degrees in the shade.

I would love to understand what do you mean!

Something
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:40:33  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Btw, I could tell you some funny racoon stories, yep.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:43:18  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rita

quote:

Rita, how do you have a vegetable garden and not garden?
I would love to understand what do you mean!

I am just confused how you can have a garden but not do it (gardening). Maybe you mean your husband or family does it? Sorry I am so dense, you know, I bet it's the cough syrup.
quote:
Originally posted by rita

I have a little vegetable garden, but I don't do it myself
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't do it myself neither my husband, I actually pay for someone mere experient to do that job for us, we are very busy and lazy, sometimes!

Something
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Btw, I could tell you some funny racoon stories, yep.

i LOVE funny raccoon stories

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!

Edited by - floop on 02/12/2005 17:53:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  17:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also would love to know what's funny raccoon stories???

Something
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  18:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
raccoons are quite funny in general, as evidenced in these humorous photos

look at this guy eh?

woops! that's not Mrs. Raccoon..

"hey, come here you!"

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  18:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for being so elucidatory!

Something
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  18:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've planned gardens for the last five years...sat down at the computer, drawn up schematics and blueprints of what/where to plant, when, etc and EVERY year, I have to go on travel during the time I would work on the garden so I end up with nothing. Just more lawn to mow back there:(

the grapes I planted are coming along nicely, though!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  18:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why does Rita know the word "elucidatory"?

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  20:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by floop

/quote]

That's what I said.

Count me in on the raccoon stories. I live in a midsize city and so have only spotted coons here a couple times, in the wee hours. But as a kid we visited the grandfolks for about a month per year, near the Mississippi River in Missouri, in coon and possum territory.

Used to stumble onto armadillo in central Texas too.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  20:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dayanara that's a beautiful hibicus! In the past, I have like growing flowers. I also like weeding it's relaxing.
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  00:28:00  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
tobafett: I had a similar problem.

I've found a bit of success with Square-foot gardening. Kind-of a low(er) maintenance technique. Especially if you're planning on more or less living off of what you grow.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  00:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I've bookmark'd it...it looks easy-peasy!

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  02:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm waiting to get struck by lightning like travolta's charachter in Phenomenon, before i start a garden, it will be the best garden ever!

I'm what you call a repeat offender. I repeat, I will offend again!
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  09:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

In the past, I have like growing flowers. I also like weeding it's relaxing.

I absolutely lurve my flower garden.
I could zen out in there for hours, it is relaxing.

I like the challenge of a perenial flower garden in this climate.

I should find a pic...

Edited by - Carolynanna on 02/13/2005 10:43:56
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  12:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, when you find one I would love to see it!

Yes gardening is so zen like. It's just so nice to shut the world out and focus on the little things. It's fun if you haven't been out in your garden for a few days, you go out there and notice all the changes. :)

For last summer and this one I am gardneless. But I need to get my act together and volunteer for this really nice garden in the park. It's better than anything I could ever accomplish in my wildest dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  12:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for tips for apl4eris. We're zone 14 in the Western Sunset book. Are zones standardized across the country? It gets very hot during the days and cool at night, which I guess is perfect tomato weather since I think they need cool temperatures to set fruit.

Is asparagus an annual? Does it unsually take a few years? It's commercially grown around here so it must grow well.

Maybe I'll try something easier like snap peas or green beans with squash and various tomatoes.
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  14:02:54  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The raccoons...

Ok so as Apl said, the first year we got no corn, as the rotten little fuckers made off with the stuff *just* as they were about to hit peak ripeness.

This past year we tried the Three Sisters technique, which in addition to being generally space efficient, is also supposed to be an effective deterrent against mammalian theives. The squash vines are prickly, and annoy the tender feet of these critters, and the beans tend to obfuscate the corn.

This worked for a while, then we bore witness to the aftermath of one of the most organized raids the animal kingdom has ever wrought on mankind...

The raccoons had obviously staked out our plot for some time, and had assigned specific roles to each member of the raiding party. They came over the fence en masse, and hit the mounds one at a time. First, the "tank" raccoon would sally forth into the squash vines, bearing immeasurable pain and irritation as he beat a path forward to the center. Spent, he would then limp off to recuperate and await the reward for his heroic efforts. Next up came the "pusher". Following the path beaten down by the Tank, the Pusher would breach the inner sanctum of the corn mound and - in a radial fashion much resmbling a wagon wheel - shove down the stalks to the slavering jaws of the remainder of the raiding party. I have to assume they took turns in shouldering the burden of the role of Tank, else I would have found a blood soaked carcass curled under the carrot fronds the next day.

This was done in a single night, with about 60 ears of corn stripped from the stalk, shucked, and completely devoured.

Next year I'm camping out with weapons and a chip on my shoulder.

edit: fixed the link

*festoon*

Edited by - SpudBoy on 02/13/2005 14:13:49
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  14:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

I don't

BTW, did I told you that we used to produce our own wine here? That is something!

Something
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  14:10:59  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(edit: i'm glad I left the funny coon story to Spud -he told it better than I ever could)

Asparagus takes a few years to reach maturity and produce a proper harvest. It's a perennial. You'll want to find male plants as they are more productive. I highly recommend checking out

www.seedsavers.org (for some reason the site is down for the moment)

(563) 382-5990
Seed Savers Exchange
3094 North Winn Road
Decorah, IA 52101

for this year's seeds and root stock. Their products have been much heartier and with a better germination rate than any other we've tried. If you are going to be plating tomatos this spring, I would be happy to share some of our seeds that produce the biggest most flavorful beefsteak variety we've ever had -SpudBoy's Grandpa developed the hybrids for a few real gems. Just beware that they make *huge* plants that will need very strong tall cages, lots of watering, and judicious stem tying to keep them off the ground. You'll want to start the seeds indoors with a few growlights and set em out at the right time for your zone (you can find tons of info for that on www.gardenweb.com). Last year we planted the "seedlings" after about 3 weeks of growing, and they were already 3 feet tall.

Have some "greasy" beans we'd be happy to share too, which are very hardy and can stand some abuse. They make great soup or country-cooked beans. Good pole green beans, with a white bean when dried.

I don't know how much experience you have with vegetable gardening, but I would be happy to share what we've learned and maybe even get an heirloom seed exchange going with anyone interested.

One more thing, unlike you we had a horrible time with cilantro. We just found out you need to plant them in sand or at least sandy soil, to keep them from getting waterlogged roots. I love cilantro, so next on the list is finding clean garden-worthy sand!

Edited by - apl4eris on 02/13/2005 14:21:58
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  14:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a pot of parsley on my kitchen shelf, and I managed to kill that. I must terrify plants.

Ash wields the chainsaw attached to the stump where his hand used to be and straps a sawn-off shotgun across his back
Ash: "Groovy"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  14:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i really want to get into gardening, but i rent a small apt and i'm looking to move in july when my lease is up, and i plan on buying a place in a year or two, so i don't want to start up a kickass garden and then have to leave it behind. so i think just some minor gardening this year and next, and hopefully after that i can set up a nice garden.

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  08:15:03  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have any of you guys seen that Mythbusters show where they experimented with pea plants and different sounds?

The group of plants that were blasted death metal 24/7 did the best!
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  09:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahahahahahahahaha, no wonder my plants do so well!

(Hubby's a big metalhead)

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  09:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Revived. Have you planted your gardens? How are they looking?

I ended up planting 5 tomato plants, a zuchinni, carrots, strawberries, and green beans. The strawberries seem to be already done and now they're spreading like crazy. I had a hard time with the zuchinni. Earwigs and slugs killed the first plant. The second plant I covered every night with plastic produce bags and it's now big enough to make it on its own. The tomatoes are fruiting, the beans are growing up a trillis (sp?) that I built, and the carrots are slowly sprouting.

I want to plant some more. Maybe basil or more tomatoes.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  10:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have I have!
New house so whole new garden patch this year, and its big too.
I have to move alot of my perrenials around and to the new place so its like starting all over.
But we did plant our first vegetable garden this year.
All sorts of things, peas, potatoes, strawberries, rhubarb, carrots, radishes, lettuce, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and even corn and watermelon.
We don't have that long of a growing season so I found some wacko Canadian seeds that are supposed to grow and produce quicker.

Its trellis darwin. (Heehee, I'm correcting you).
I read in a Lois Hole book (she was our local gardening guru), that tomatoes and cucumbers and zuchini will do better in pots. So I put them in some 5 gallon buckets in the sun room.

I did have trouble getting my flowers I tried growing from seed to sprout. :(

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  11:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How wonderful! I wasn't around last year for this thread, and was thinking of posting something similar and then thought..."no...nobody would want to talk about that.." I should have known the mult-talents members of this forum never cease to impress me.

This is our first summer on our farm. We have a new home too, so our yard isn't even close to done, but we found the time to put in our garden last weekend. So far, 4 varieties of tomatoes (Roma, Beefsteak, sungold, early girl, and better boy), two rows of beans, two sugarbaby watermelon plants, two yellow pepper plants, two delicata squash, and an eggplant. Next we are going to plant some white sweet corn, cucumbers, and a few more peppers (like gardensalsa, thai hot dragon, and some red bells). We also have a plant nursery, so the plants we put in were all started from seed in our nursery.

In case anyone is interested....putting a couple of tablespoons of lime in the hole before you put your plant in really helps.

Our next gardening project is going to be landscaping our backyard. Our home is on the edge of a canyon and we recently had a guy come in and terrace the slope so we can plant. Here is a picture of the "backyard" right after we moved in. There are a couple of trees gone now and a nice terraced slope...not too mention the trees are all full with green again. Hopefully we can get started on it this weekend....that is if the rain stays away. It has been the rainiest spring in nine years!

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  12:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, that's beautiful mosleyk.

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  14:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks...but what you don't see is the other side of the house which has a view an old barnyard which is in such need of repair. Three generations of farmers before us, and I swear none of them threw anything out. We are slowly gaining on it though.

Hey, what kind of flowers did you try to grow from seed? I swear that is the toughest. At our nursery we order most our flowers from plugs and then raise them to sell. Growing from seed is just too much work without enough profit (except for the vegetables...there are easy from seed).
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  15:43:03  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Garden is doing well.

For some reason my roma tomato plants refuse to do anything besides die right off.

Cherokee Purple tomato plants going great guns.

-

Several varieties of lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, cucumbers, corn, pole beans, bush beans, bell pepper, strawberries, muskmelon, birdhouse gourd, eggplant and a few herbs.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000