Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  12:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now, I'm reading a book about baseball in Japan, "You Gotta Have Wa," by Robert Whiting. I'm also working my way through Aaron Copland's "What to Listen for in Music" (which I highly recommend) and Salman Rushdie's "Midnight's Children."

(Oh, and I'm reading about a hundred letters to the editor every day, because that's what I do for a living.)

What's everybody else reading?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

Edited by - starmekitten on 02/24/2007 07:51:10

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  12:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What: Roald Dahl's collected short stories.
Where: On the bus & the subway, and in bed.

(I'm assuming that's "Whare" means :) )

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  12:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading The Competitive Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover. I mostly read it on my PC chair and in bed.

Scratching the surface without a purpose won't accomplish anything new

Upload your Frank photos here - fb.net gallery

Edited by - Llamadance on 02/23/2007 13:06:38
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  12:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that's a stupid typo. Tre, would you fix that for me? It should say "What are you reading?" but I can't edit thread titles.

Still, it's an opportune typo. I think it's cool to hear where people do their reading.

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  12:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I'm also working my way through Aaron Copland's "What to Listen for in Music"

Copland penned an amazing score for THE HEIRESS (1948). A good recommended read is A Heart at Fire's Center...bio on Bernard Herrmann.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  13:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Glover book is good, Llama. My wife read that before she ran her marathon. She swore by everything he said in that book. What are you training for?

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  13:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got my second marathon in 8 weeks, then a few races over the year. I mostly want to improve my half marathon time over that period, and the marathon should give me a good base of fitness. Unless I suck badly at this marathon, in which case I'll run another in Sept/Oct.

The Glover book is pretty good - I never thought I could sit and read a book on training cover to cover, but that's pretty much what I'm doing. How did your wife do? Does she still run?

Edited by - Llamadance on 02/23/2007 13:32:56
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  13:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

I've got my second marathon in 8 weeks, then a few races over the year. I mostly want to improve my half marathon time over that period, and the marathon should give me a good base of fitness. Unless I suck badly at this marathon, in which case I'll run another in Sept/Oct.

The Glover book is pretty good - I never thought I could sit and read a book on training cover to cover, but that's pretty much what I'm doing. How did your wife do? Does she still run?
She had a rough marathon. She held herself back in the first half, making sure to save some for the end, and then right after the halfway mark, she kicked it up a notch and then promptly stepped in a nasty little pothole and tore a bunch of muscles in her hip. (It took months for her to heal.) She was on pace for slightly under four hours, which she would have been thrilled with, but ended up limping her way across the rest of the course and finishing just under six hours. I felt awful for her, because she trained so long and then it went sour on her.

But I learned a little something about determination that day. I don't know many people who could have pushed through the kind of pain she had. Except for the two times I watched my wife give birth, I've never been more impressed by what a person can do with their body when they are determined to do it.

I'm impressed by anyone who runs a marathon. It's not just that you have to run 26 miles, but you have to train for hours and hours and hours -- and miles and miles and miles -- just to be ready.

Have you read "The Other Shulman," Llama? It's about a guy who runs the NYC Marathon. Can't remember the author, but I'm sure Amazon could tell you.

Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  14:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading Faulkner's 'The sound and the fury'. Some of the best stuff I've ever read.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  14:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read "You Gotta Have Wa". I remember it being good, but losing steam half way through. I just finished "Inside Pitch" which is an anthropology book about professional baseball players. I'm a baseball freak. Before starting that book I was reading American Prometheus, which is biography about Oppenheimer. I switched to Inside Pitch because I wanted lighter reading for some business trips. I'm leaving tomorrow on another trip. I think I'm going to take Satchel Page's autobiography.
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  14:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

She had a rough marathon. She held herself back in the first half, making sure to save some for the end, and then right after the halfway mark, she kicked it up a notch and then promptly stepped in a nasty little pothole and tore a bunch of muscles in her hip. (It took months for her to heal.) She was on pace for slightly under four hours, which she would have been thrilled with, but ended up limping her way across the rest of the course and finishing just under six hours. I felt awful for her, because she trained so long and then it went sour on her.

But I learned a little something about determination that day. I don't know many people who could have pushed through the kind of pain she had. Except for the two times I watched my wife give birth, I've never been more impressed by what a person can do with their body when they are determined to do it.

I'm impressed by anyone who runs a marathon. It's not just that you have to run 26 miles, but you have to train for hours and hours and hours -- and miles and miles and miles -- just to be ready.

Have you read "The Other Shulman," Llama? It's about a guy who runs the NYC Marathon. Can't remember the author, but I'm sure Amazon could tell you.

Man, that's bad luck. She must have been gutted, but at least she finished - sounds like she just wouldn't let it beat her. Is she going to do another?

I quite fancy doing the NYC marathon or the Boston one at some point. If I can get my half marathon time to what I want this year, I might have a shot at getting an automatic qualifying time in a year or two. It's all ifs & buts though, just got to keep trying.

Looked up 'The Other Shulman' and it looks like a good book. I'll probably order it and let Amazon take the three weeks to deliver it. It seems to be a bit scarce over here. Cheers for that.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  14:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Barry Bonds set to break Hank Aaron's home run record, Darwin, you might consider reading Aaron's autobiography. I was disappointed in the quality of the writing (but hey, he's an athlete, not a writer); however, his life is fascinating, and the section about when he was breaking Babe Ruth's record is compelling stuff. Definitely a huge chapter in this nation's history. (For the uninitiated, Aaron is black, Ruth was white, and racist America wasn't prepared to see whitey's record get broken in 1973-74.)

Jim Bouton's "Ball Four" is the ultimate baseball book for me. Now THAT guy could write.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  15:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife might not agree, but my son is named after Hank Aaron. I haven't read Aaron's biography, but I should. I hate Bonds. I didn't use to. Use to defend him as a great player. This was before his home run hitting. Now I'm just hoping for a career-ending knee injury.

Have you read Babe? Creamer's biography about Ruth. That fellow was a man-child and overall a sad story.

I've read Ball Four a couple times and after reading Inside Pitch was considering reading again during Spring training.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  15:34:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
What's everybody else reading?

Back of the box of cereals.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  15:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have I ever mentioned this forum is a buncha goddam comedians?

(You make me laugh, Denis.)

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  15:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

FAST_MAN  RAIDER_MAN - June 19th
Go to Top of Page

s_wrenn
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1851 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  16:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the first 24 pages of The Third Policeman back in july and i kinda forgot about it after that. The majority of stuff i read is on the internet. And every sentence ends with "ZOMG!"

@ * ~ ¦ ¬ . , |
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  18:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in my
The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.

Edited by - shineoftheever on 02/23/2007 18:49:57
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  18:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm finishing up "The Walmart Effect" by Charles Fishman, and am halfway through "The Demon Haunted World, (Science as a Candle in the Dark)" by Carl Sagan.

trying to buy the hitchhikerS guidE to thE galaxY and waR and peacE... Thank you fb.net.

oh and yeah, shouldn't this thread be locked?

-Tom

"We conjure ghosts and then we feed them"
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  03:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it should.

I'm currently listening to Camera Obscura, 'Let's Get Out Of This Country', the last film I saw was Capote, and I am currently reading 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  04:02:06  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Henry Miller's Tropic of Capricorn in parks and cafes, rereading on metro journeys Pynchon's collection of early stories complete with apologia, Slow Learner, and in bed The Possibility of an Island by Michel Houllebecq, who's a deeply shitty writer but I like him.

--

Gravy boat! Stay in the now!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  07:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martha_promise

oh and yeah, shouldn't this thread be locked?

Is there already a thread for this? Hope I didn't duplicate one. I haven't seen one in the year I've been around, and I couldn't find one -- though I admit I didn't try very hard.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  07:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the old 'What are you reading' thread got lost in the 'big lock-up'. Lots of stuff got locked like 'what are you listening', 'what are you eating' etc. since they were deemed 'list threads'. I think there was some decent discussion in the reading one though.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  07:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell. Six connected stories (very basically about reincarnated souls but there's much more to it), written in totally different genres, starting in 1850 and ending in a distant post-apocalyptic world. Hard going but once you get into it it's pretty amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  10:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john dies at the end

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  11:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Troublesome Offspring Of Cardinal Guzman, by Louis de Bernieres. I've heard him described as a middlebrow Garcia Marquez, but I really enjoy everything I've read.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  11:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah coastline, I was just referencing the reading thread that was previously locked in the "list thread lock up". There was some good discussion in that one as well as in this one. I always find it interesting to see what people have been reading as well as to get some ideas on what to read next.

-Tom

"We conjure ghosts and then we feed them"
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  12:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, list threads can be lame. Hopefully this doesn't turn into that. This one's ripe for tons of discussion.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  13:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm switching between a chapter of FOOL THE WORLD (the Pixies book) and a chapter of BIG BANG: THE ORIGIN OF THE UNIVERSE by Simon Singh to keep my head from exploding with sciencese.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  11:48:39  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  02:50:19  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
PixieSteve Posted - 02/23/2007 : 15:54:27

ha me too, started it yesterday. Never read this guy before, the autobiograpy interjections remind me a little of Kurt Vonnegut.

--

Gravy boat! Stay in the now!
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  03:55:19  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm re-reading The Lord Of The Rings for the third time at the moment. I'm currently reading the Two Towers. It's part of the few books I still have a lot of pleasure to read again.

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  08:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm reading neal stephenson's "cryptonomicon." i've been reading it since june! it's great, but it's taking a really long time, for some reason.

at work i'm rading asimov's "foundation series." i'm on book 3 (second foundation). highly entertaining stuff!

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  11:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tempted to say "this forum".

"Am I the one you're thinking of
when the sun goes down into the water...?"
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  02:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I saw Visigoths mentioned in the beginning. hmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  05:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will soon begin my journey into the Dark Tower series. I can't wait.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000