Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  18:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't we please just talk about it just a little bit more?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  21:23:50  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay .. when’s the last time you guys deep dived on REM’s 80’s catalog? Murmur through Out of Time (I know that’s nipping the 90s)…?

We never get into how sonically connected Pixies are with REM… and maybe they aren’t, but when I listen to their first several albums, I hear Chuck/Pixies blueprints up and down and left and right.

Please listen close to early / mid 80s REM before you flame me on this… REM are a damn revelation if you’ve never spent much time with them. I’m pretty damn sure young Chuck was listening.

There are countless examples. I’m listening to one right now as I type this, but it is continuous. Check out Cuyahoga on REM’s Life’s Rich Pageant.

Seriously listen to that song and that album a few times. That’s the modern Pixies, and that’s probably the Pixies and Charles period..

How’s that, Bedbug?

Pre-Automatic for the People has a shitload of pixies 1.0 DNA, and that might be what’s missing from modern Pixies. Pixies 1.0 are like cracked out 80s REM, on purpose. I don’t know how to get it back or anything else, but I CAN highly advise you go on an REM deep dive.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/16/2024 21:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2024 :  23:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm very familiar with both hands but I'm not hearing this.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  04:01:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was drunk and high, but I regret nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  04:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve barely listened to REM in my lifetime

I do like that Syd Barrett cover they did

I will try to listen to them

I’m still trying to listen to TMBG for Trouble but can’t get past the first three albums, only like the first one
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  04:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Okay .. when’s the last time you guys deep dived on REM’s 80’s catalog? Murmur through Out of Time (I know that’s nipping the 90s)…?

We never get into how sonically connected Pixies are with REM… and maybe they aren’t, but when I listen to their first several albums, I hear Chuck/Pixies blueprints up and down and left and right.

Please listen close to early / mid 80s REM before you flame me on this… REM are a damn revelation if you’ve never spent much time with them. I’m pretty damn sure young Chuck was listening.

There are countless examples. I’m listening to one right now as I type this, but it is continuous. Check out Cuyahoga on REM’s Life’s Rich Pageant.

Seriously listen to that song and that album a few times. That’s the modern Pixies, and that’s probably the Pixies and Charles period..

How’s that, Bedbug?

Pre-Automatic for the People has a shitload of pixies 1.0 DNA, and that might be what’s missing from modern Pixies. Pixies 1.0 are like cracked out 80s REM, on purpose. I don’t know how to get it back or anything else, but I CAN highly advise you go on an REM deep dive.

I'm hearing you on Cuyahoga. That bittersweet melancholic verse and soaring chorus. It's fingerprint is all over WIMM, HCYM, Green and Blues. Don't go back to Rockville is another one.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  13:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank on REM and Murmur...

Come on Pilgrim is the greatest debut album by anyone, ever. Discuss.

I will partially agree, at least to appear humble. But seeing as I’m not so humble … I was listening to Murmur by REM a lot just before Come on Pilgrim and that was hugely influential on me as a songwriter. I’m going to be cocky and say: we were even better than Murmur.

From the Guardian interview a couple of years ago;

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/03/pixies-frontman-black-francis-kim-deal-were-always-friends-but-nothing-is-for-ever

That college rock scene / period from the 80s
into early 90s was absolutely unique
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  16:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice photo posted by BF on Insta/FB of him with his "2 favorite producers" - Gil and Tom - at tonight's show.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  17:11:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Frank on REM and Murmur...

Come on Pilgrim is the greatest debut album by anyone, ever. Discuss.

I will partially agree, at least to appear humble. But seeing as I’m not so humble … I was listening to Murmur by REM a lot just before Come on Pilgrim and that was hugely influential on me as a songwriter. I’m going to be cocky and say: we were even better than Murmur.

From the Guardian interview a couple of years ago;

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/03/pixies-frontman-black-francis-kim-deal-were-always-friends-but-nothing-is-for-ever

That college rock scene / period from the 80s
into early 90s was absolutely unique

Hah! Now I don’t feel so silly about my chemical induced post. In fact, I’ll double down on it now!

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/18/2024 17:12:12
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2024 :  13:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Another new song makes a dressing room appearance, this time with the full band.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/iSaJLis2cpEy4vJ5/

This one sounds really promising! Some energy, dig it.

For a very short period my brain thought this was The Modern Age.

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  02:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane (The Night The Zombies Came) - another pleasant-ish but forgettable snippet. It's no Last Night the Wolves Came Out. Hard to believe it's ten years since that dropped.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  02:02:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love the snippet
Better than some of the mellow Doggerel ones

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  09:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When do you think we might hear something concrete about this album? I like all of the new snippets and fear things might get lost in the shuffle ala 'Superlecker', the "country album", the aforementioned Halloween Sessions (containing Last Night the Wolves Came Out), and whatever studio recordings were done last year. Maybe they'll be recording (re-recording?) in April prior to the US tour commencing? The Pixies never seemed to be a band to "sit on" or "scrap" recordings. Charles is too prolific of an artist to have to sit on things based on management decisions. I guess we'll see what happens in the coming weeks and months. What's happening right now with the snippets being posted reminds me of the roadtesting of material the Catholics did.

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  11:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same reaction to the new snippet: I personally like the relaxed, melancholy and mellow vibe, but I don't think it should be a Pixies song, and it seems like instant death to play at a live show. I guess if I don't have anything new to say I shouldn't say anything. I do like these songs, but I don't love them, at least not yet.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  15:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While mellower, Jane at least still sounds more Pixies-ish to me than say, Might As Well Be Gone (truly the nadir of the Dalgety and perhaps any other era).

RE: the October sessions including Wolves -- where did we hear that from?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  16:22:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new dressing room song whatever it is - little bit of it at one point or points reminds me a lot of Allison
Most of Allison is the same repeated chord progression but one bit of this new song sounds like it and it's got the same kind of energy
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2024 :  17:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper
Jane at least still sounds more Pixies-ish to me than say, Might As Well Be Gone (truly the nadir of the Dalgety and perhaps any other era).

I don't agree with this, nor do I understand it. That's a good song.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  02:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like MAWBG as well. Be a good idea for a thread, that. Hear Me Out is a contender - I can't even remember the melody or anything about it.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  07:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hear Me Out was deeply disappointing, one of my anti-Paz moments.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  12:15:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Still like the song, the lyrics could have been better
The vocal sound is how I think Long Rider should have sounded

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  14:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hear me out? It's alright, it's ok
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  16:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

For all the talk about what Pixies are and what they are not, can we at least all agree that incredibly bland, uninteresting, not evocative lyrics like Hear Me Out are definitely what they are not?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  18:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

For all the talk about what Pixies are and what they are not, can we at least all agree that incredibly bland, uninteresting, not evocative lyrics like Hear Me Out are definitely what they are not?

Forgot about that song. Yes, lyrics sound worse than first generation AI attempt at songwriting
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2024 :  19:53:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bland, yes

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2024 :  15:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The backing track is great, but the lyrics are poor. Didn't the podcast feature a version with BF's guide vocal for it with his own lyrics?

There's at least an album's worth of 2.0 era songs that don't appear to have been released (unless reworked into ones we have seen). Alice Prin and other pre-Indie Cindy demos, Down in Toulon, Super Lecker (played live at one or two shows)...

Edited by - Ziggy on 03/25/2024 15:34:09
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2024 :  16:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

The backing track is great, but the lyrics are poor. Didn't the podcast feature a version with BF's guide vocal for it with his own lyrics?

There's at least an album's worth of 2.0 era songs that don't appear to have been released (unless reworked into ones we have seen). Alice Prin and other pre-Indie Cindy demos, Down in Toulon, Super Lecker (played live at one or two shows)...

If that version exists, I would love to hear it!

I agree - I think the music is actually quite good but that the lyrics are as bland as it gets.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2024 :  16:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It shows how important lyrics can be. Because if that song had great lyrics, it really would elevate it and it could become a favorite. It would tip it over the line. But because they're so boring, it kind of ruins the music, and makes the whole thing feel like a waste. Now some pieces of music are so incredible that the lyrics might not matter, but for ones on the fence like Hear Me Out, a good lyric is everything.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2024 :  23:51:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Emma's vocal on Jane-rehearsal sound wonderful, btw

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2024 :  06:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m no musician so let me ask you guys am I right that on Vegas Suite and the clip of the new song (“when you’re tired”) he’s going into a bridge after the first stanza? I dig both these songs a ton and even though the tempos are slower they move right along for me
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2024 :  05:15:04  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had completely forgotten about Hear Me Out, googled it and now I remember that I meant to buy the 12" for Mambo Sun but changed my mind when I heard the A side...

Denis
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2024 :  10:43:25  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I’m no musician so let me ask you guys am I right that on Vegas Suite and the clip of the new song (“when you’re tired”) he’s going into a bridge after the first stanza? I dig both these songs a ton and even though the tempos are slower they move right along for me

I like Vegas Suite a little less every time I listen to it. I’m not sure which part is “when you’re tired.” I wouldn’t say there’s a bridge in the song. There’s the little, slightly more energetic interlude after the first full cycle of lyrics. I don’t feel like listening to it enough times to write them down but I’d call the hope he don’t hate us / save us / coming today bit a refrain. So the verses include the refrain, and what is essentially the chorus is also the refrain, preceded by what I’d call a pre-chorus. Not sure if that makes sense.

Anyway, the double time slightly more rocking bit is probably the closest thing to a bridge here, but it doesn’t work for me.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2024 :  11:03:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No, the "when you're tired"-bit is from the finger picking song Frank plays solo on insta/facebook.
And it indeed directly goes to a bridge (sort of)

Vegas Suite has a chorus-verse-chorus structure I think, the bridge is indeed instrumental. But it's no rocket science

Edited by - billgoodman on 03/28/2024 11:04:24
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2024 :  17:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hear Me Out has some redeeming qualities, suchas the playful post-chorus "bah-bah-bah-bah-bah"s which for some reason remind me of Talent.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2024 :  23:00:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joey plays great on that track. I also like some of the drums.

On a side note: Emma has liked my Instagram-comment "meanwhile you can record some tunes".You can find it as a reply on her post about a great March and looking forward to tour with Pixies in May. April is enough to replace some bass lines, right?

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2024 :  03:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some new song titles listed on BMI.

What is the consensus, would you like me to post these? Don't want to spoil the song titles for anyone who would prefer to wait or ruin any potential upcoming announcements. Any suggestions?

Edit: if anyone wants to see the new song titles I've posted them on Ingur link below. Saves ruining it for anyone that doesn't want to see them!

https://imgur.com/a/3Tuqk8s

Edited by - Stevio10 on 04/09/2024 03:39:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000