Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  03:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Announced via band's social media.

'Paz Lenchantin, who joined Pixies in 2014, has exited the band to concentrate on her own projects.

We're grateful for Paz's many contributions, and wish her all the very best going forward.

We are delighted to welcome Emma Richardson on bass. Emma will make her worldwide touring debut with Pixies on the first night of the "Bossanova x Trompe le Monde" European tour, beginning this Friday in Dublin.

See you on the road! La la love you, Pixies

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  03:49:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not happy about this
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  04:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she's a finger picker.
previously paid in the group 'band of skulls'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQYTcer0ODc
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  04:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big woop-dee-doo again !
Apart from jokes, I think it's healthy to have regular switches in a band. New blood, new expectations, new sound. Sounds good to me !
Paz contribution has been great for 10 years, she co-wrote some very interesting songs and added her own personnality to the band's latest work.
Let's Deal with her departure and trust the mellow Black Boss!

++++
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  04:56:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is she any good then, Emma?
I have to say I was looking forward to seeing Paz for the first time - a band member with plenty experience in the band and now looks like they're finding a last minute replacement for a very special tour
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  04:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pffft not happy about this. Wasn't it just a few months ago she was posting they just recorded a new album. Wonder if there is more to it.

I've got tickets for the Bossanova & Trompe shows but the prospect of watching that while a new bassist beds in is pretty unappealing :(
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:02:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very bad news, no way you plan to announce a member (of 10 years!) leaving just a couple of days before a tour.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:03:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Pffft not happy about this. Wasn't it just a few months ago she was posting they just recorded a new album. Wonder if there is more to it.

I've got tickets for the Bossanova & Trompe shows but the prospect of watching that while a new bassist beds in is pretty unappealing :(

Yep, they were recording right after finishing Doggerel and had a new session this winter...

Paz was such a vital part of BTE and Doggerel

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

Yep, they were recording right after finishing Doggerel and had a new session this winter...

Paz was such a vital part of BTE and Doggerel

It's a shame - Paz has brought a lot to the band - and particularly odd since they recorded for a good while in last year's sessions.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:20:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paz still has a Pixies-related Insta story on the day her departure is announced
(repost of Los Surfers Muertos-fan art)

Sad to see her go. Long Rider (bit overproduced) and Los Surfers Muertos were so good, a shame I never heard those two live.

Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, fuck. Paz was great, she clearly saved the band. All the best to her.

Sadly, though, my respect for her took a bit of a beating when she posted an outpouring of sympathy for Ariel Pink, a few months ago. I wonder if that's got anything to do with her leaving. Charles is known to take a dim view of MAGA types.

And no, I'm not saying Paz is a MAGA type (to my mind it's very clear she's not). But she certainly endorsed one, in public, which I've seen affecting the band's image in the public eye.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

[...] I think it's healthy to have regular switches in a band. New blood, new expectations, new sound. Sounds good to me !
Paz contribution has been great for 10 years, she co-wrote some very interesting songs and added her own personnality to the band's latest work.
Let's Deal with her departure and trust the mellow Black Boss!

I like your attitude.

If this proves anything, it's that the band is more resilient than I thought.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:27:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Meh
Pixies should stay out of politics
I'm no Trump fan but hey - the alternatives are far grimmer for all of us - at least Trump could tie his own shoelaces
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I wasn't expecting this. 10 years is no small amount of time but unless Kim wanted to return I thought Paz would've chosen to stay in the band for good. Best of luck to her though. She had huge shoes to fill and did as good a job as could've reasonably been expected of her.

Can't say I know of Emma, but I didn't know of Paz either. Hope it works out for her.

Edited by - jake3 on 03/04/2024 05:44:46
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clutching at straws here....but could this be a guerrilla campaign to inject some energy into this forum?
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Meh

Yeah. Paz didn't though, did she.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very speculative, however, If she has been 'kicked' out for that then I'll be even less impressed.. Who hasn't had a friend or family member that made poor decisions in their lives at one point or another.

I prefer bands who dont check the politics of their paying supporters on the door, and the Pixies were great for that (at least up to now)

Hopefully it's more in the Frank-does-not-feel-like-recording-any-more direction (preferable but still not great of course)
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:44:37  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of her post's from last year was a picture of Joey, Charles, David and herself with the caption: MY BAND!

In interviews she was so full of delight to be in the Pixies. Curious to know what happened

Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is very speculative, however, If she has been 'kicked' out for that then I'll be even less impressed.. Who hasn't had a friend or family member that made poor decisions in their lives at one point or another.

Yes, my post was very speculative and may well be totally wrong. But hey, this board needs some traffic, yes?

I agree with you re poor decisions etc., but who knows what may have happened internally. Something like that could be a trigger for conflict and then the conflict may be what actually caused her to leave, not the original thing.

In any case, Paz's current silence makes me suspect this departure is not amicable. And I can't think of any other possible source of recent conflict. She and the rest of the band always seemed to get on like a house on fire, until things went silent around Paz a few months ago, which happened to be right around time of her defence of A. Pink.

I just tried to take another look at the Instagram posts where she did that, and they've been deleted. Go figure.

quote:
Hopefully it's more in the Frank-does-not-feel-like-recording-any-more direction (preferable but still not great of course)

That would surprise me. He's always wanted to make new music since the Pixies reformed. It was Kim stopping him, pretty much until she left.

But yeah, I guess we should not expect a new album any time soon now, should we. :/

I wonder if we'll ever see anything of their recent recording sessions with Paz.

Edited by - McDutchie on 03/04/2024 06:07:09
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:58:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Meh

Yeah. Paz didn't though, did she.

So only Charles is allowed to speak about politics then?

I’ve seen him trumpet some things recently that I had serious issues with that I’ve just had to get over - anyone else I’d have stopped listening to

If it turns out he’s kicked her out the band over something like that then he’s lost even more of my respect
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  06:13:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone see that post on instagrm on the Pixies account with Dave and the bag of crisps where he puts his hand in and his wife had placed a mousetrap which he pretends to catch his hand in and teases us that his he can’t play the drums anymore - that was 1 day before this announcement which should have been in the works already by then considering they announced Paz’s departure with a replacement already arranged?
Is this post some kind of hidden message - the day before they announce this bad news they tease us with fake bad news?
TBH I’d prefer if Kim just came back for this tour but she probably doesn’t want to and if she did she’d probably walk out in between Bossa and Trompe anyway
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  06:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As others have observed, the decision may well have happened a little while ago. There was a gap of many months between Kim Deal walking out of the IC sessions and the public announcement.

That said, they've been a very close unit by all accounts from the outset right up to those Guildford Sound sessions late last year.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  06:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's really too bad, I feel like Paz was a big part of the BTE-Doggerel run which I liked. I don't believe for a second that she left the band to focus on her own projects - she seemed 100% in on the Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  06:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't expect that news! Wonder if this means the album they recorded recently will be released as it is, re-recorded or shelved.

Not really that bothered about who plays bass / backing vocals anymore. At this stage would gladly take Pixies hiatus for a return to Catholics / solo.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  06:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank has now lost two wives and two *essential* female band members. He'll always be my muscial hero but those are not good statistics.

They wont find another Paz, they landed on their feet there.

Just my two cents but I feel like the tide is going out
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  07:54:41  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just had a look at a live Band Of Skulls sessions - they seem alright - she looks like she’s got some experiece at playing bass (not that they would hire someone who wasn’t)
I’m just concerned about her being fresh and not too many miles under her belt playing WITH the band - are they going to be holding a few practise sessions in the studio beforehand or will they just send her the sheet music to learn and just turn up?
Surely not - but bands these days record stuff over the internet so maybe
I already suffer from a phobia of Pixies gig cancellation at last minute (had it since 1991)
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  08:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In an e-mail to Rolling Stone, Lenchantin made clear the decision was not her own: “It has been a dream of dreams these past 10 years to have been accepted as a Pixie by the band and by fans and an honor to have contributed to the Pixies legacy. My departure is a bit of a surprise to me as it is to many, but it looks like they have a solid plan figured out which in turn has pushed me to move onwards onto new projects that I am excited about.”
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  08:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ doesn’t sound amicable to me at all.

I’m guessing they have practiced with the new bassist and feel strongly enough about her to at least get through the touring year. No way they just started playing this week or something. Sounds like she left her band late last year, so they could’ve been practicing for some time now.

But Paz’s comments to RS sound like she was indeed pushed out.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  09:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

^ doesn’t sound amicable to me at all.

I’m guessing they have practiced with the new bassist and feel strongly enough about her to at least get through the touring year. No way they just started playing this week or something. Sounds like she left her band late last year, so they could’ve been practicing for some time now.

But Paz’s comments to RS sound like she was indeed pushed out.

They'll probably have auditioned again (I remember Paz talking about her own audition and the songs she learned in one interview).
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  10:05:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI Band of Skulls (Richardson's band) have recorded at Rockfield with Dalgety, so the connection is there.
==> don't expect a return to 2-track recordings anytime soon

Denis
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  10:15:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did Dalgety have a say in this then I wonder? Hope not
It is what it is though
We'll know by the weekend if she's any good
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

In an e-mail to Rolling Stone, Lenchantin made clear the decision was not her own: “It has been a dream of dreams these past 10 years to have been accepted as a Pixie by the band and by fans and an honor to have contributed to the Pixies legacy. My departure is a bit of a surprise to me as it is to many, but it looks like they have a solid plan figured out which in turn has pushed me to move onwards onto new projects that I am excited about.”

This is super bizarre, particularly given their interpersonal chemistry in the podcasts.

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 03/04/2024 11:02:07
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they still have the same manager who was a bit of a dope during Shattuck's time?

Don't think it'll change much in how the band sounds, on record anyway. Dalgety seems to be in charge there.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shit. They sounded so good on the recent post-Covid tours with Paz aboard.
She also had a lot a creative input on the latest stuff. Really enjoyed « her » songs.
Good catch on the latest Dave joke !
Hope she wasn’t fired by Fax

I was looking forward to hear her input on the unplayed Bossa/Trompe material.
Oh well

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol she looks like a mix of Kim number 1 and Paz
I don’t want to believe this was done on purpose ! :-D

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 03/04/2024 11:33:30
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  11:34:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic
Good catch on the latest Dave joke !
Hope she wasn’t fired by Fax

Also the crisps Dave were eating were Lay’s
I dunno it’s a bit of a stretch but maybe a clue that Paz was going to be “layed off”
Either way they’ve gone a bit weird - hope they know what they are doing got a bad feeling about this tour now
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000