Manitoba (db)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  02:23:09  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Up in Manitoba
The sky was very blue
The people were a few
And nights were never colder

Once I heard a wailing sound
The sky had turned to red
So I got up from my bed
And I wandered far from town

I have seen the face of God
And I was not afraid
And I have dearly paid

The darkness came right down on me
There were no more lights to follow
So I slept inside the hollow
Of a dead and fallen tree

Did you know three days I tried
To wake myself? But, no
My flesh had turned to snow
And I thought that I had died

For I have seen the face of God
And I was not afraid
And I have dearly paid

And though I had it rough
They got me home in time
They got me homemade wine
But it was not enough

The cold had made me dumb
And I was sent away
These walls are here today
For fifty years and some

Yes I have seen the face of God
And I was not afraid
And I have dearly paid
And I have dearly paid

so here we are, at the end of our first db album! hasn't this been fun! I want to thank everyone who has posted something because database will heave under everything that has been gathered! I think this has been a great way of learning more about the songs we all know and love (or didn't know and do now, inside out!)

you know the drill, quotes, references, theories, meanings notes and what you think!

To kick things off, a quote,

"We're really looking forward to playing there, because we'll be playing a new song that's called Manitoba……… It's a tale of something that happened to someone…… I have a friend who's from Manitoba -- the Thompson area. The tale comes via her. But I don't want to say that. I don't want to spoil it for people." Winnipeg Sun

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  02:37:14  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I remember it, and it's pushing a year ago in the studio, Cynthia ventured a good guess of what it was about based on our lyric sheet at the time. Charles seemed happy that she got it right. I was too stunned by the fact that we were signing with the guy who was pretty much responsible for me wanting to become a performing musician to figure out the lyrics yet...guess I'm a guitar man at heart...
It was a friend of Jean's from Manitoba who told them the story of a woman up there, years ago, who was at home and I believe heard a far away crash of some kind, went outside and saw some flashing red light in the distance (possibly a police car or ambulance). So she set out into the snowy woods in the direction of the light to see what happened. The light eventually faded and darkness fell. She had become lost in the woods, under heavy snowfall. Eventually she gave up trying to find her way out and took some rest inside a hollow tree. It snowed and snowed and became colder and after a while she could no longer move. She was stuck there for three days, when someone found her and brought her to their home to revive her. She was never able to speak, possibly brain-daaged from the cold. Apparently there was no one willing to take responsibility for her, so she was put in an institution. I guess back then not being able to speak was considered a real mental problem. She may have had other 'dumb'nesses about her, but the 'dumb' in the lyric primarily is about not being able to speak.
I was almost dumb-struck, myself, when we walked in the studio and were ushered right in to meet Our Hero and start making up vocal parts while he played acoustic and sang on the lounge sofa, within five minutes of entering!

echo park, 2004
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  02:40:16  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm speechless. fbc, are you echo park or did you just copy/pasted one of his messages?

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  02:42:15  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that....is....awesome!

thank you so much!

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  03:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4768&whichpage=2
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  04:46:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
copy/pasted, vilainde

thought it was pretty relevant, plus i felt bad for not posting a single comment to these SMYT songs.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  04:57:32  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was really cool. For some reason I had missed this post the first time around.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  07:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember the thread, but I must not have checked back after I posted...

A belated thanks to Eric for that.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Wooteenie!"
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  08:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be cool if we could find a newspaper clipping or something like that?

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  08:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fbc and Kittie. I love this song, is one of my favourites from SMYT.
I love the way Frank sings it, it's very relaxing.

I feel like a completely different person
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  10:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forum's collective wisdom is a thing of awe and beauty.
Thanks!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  15:43:59  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't remember who said it, but I seem to recall someone suggesting in an earlier thread that the "face of God" was the Northern Lights.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  20:28:31  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok diggety dig dig

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5045
Soundtracks for The United States of Leland:
"Manitoba"
Written by Frank Black
Performed by Frank Black & The Catholics
Copyright 2002 Spime Songs (BMI)
Used by permission. All rights reserved.
( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301976/soundtrack )
does this count as an alternative available on?

ok on this page here according to google http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3120&whichpage=3 there is a quote that goes along the lines of ..."He (Parks) played piano and accordion and did an arrangement for one of the songs, 'Manitoba,It was stunning. Suddenly our song was a Burt Bacharach ..." but I am screwed if I can actually see it on there.

ok got to google page ten and am spent for this evening.
there's a lot of this forum to go through you know

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  21:05:59  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1237
Posted by BrendanT Posted - 03/21/2003 : 11:10:44
The song Manitoba has something to do with the Aurora Borealis (The Northern Lights). There is an Inuit tale about the Northern Lights being the face of God watching over it's creation.

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  01:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an alternate version for a soundtrack... Can we have information about it?
And where can we find it??

I'm a regular old fashion music admirer.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  15:58:56  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The information about it be in my post, as for where to buy it I can't find that, anyone else know?

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  16:43:37  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The word Manitoba may translate as 'the voice of god' or 'the place where god speaks.'

'Hambley (1971) offered a slightly different interpretation, noting that the whistling wind created a sound like a shriek, which to the natives represented the voice of God Spirit.' Geographical Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation

Edited by - hammerhands on 04/15/2005 17:05:46
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  18:32:08  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
The word Manitoba may translate as 'the voice of god' or 'the place where god speaks.'

I thought it meant "many tubas."

(And yes, I stole that joke.)

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  01:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

As I remember it, and it's pushing a year ago in the studio, Cynthia ventured a good guess of what it was about based on our lyric sheet at the time. Charles seemed happy that she got it right. I was too stunned by the fact that we were signing with the guy who was pretty much responsible for me wanting to become a performing musician to figure out the lyrics yet...guess I'm a guitar man at heart...
It was a friend of Jean's from Manitoba who told them the story of a woman up there, years ago, who was at home and I believe heard a far away crash of some kind, went outside and saw some flashing red light in the distance (possibly a police car or ambulance). So she set out into the snowy woods in the direction of the light to see what happened. The light eventually faded and darkness fell. She had become lost in the woods, under heavy snowfall. Eventually she gave up trying to find her way out and took some rest inside a hollow tree. It snowed and snowed and became colder and after a while she could no longer move. She was stuck there for three days, when someone found her and brought her to their home to revive her. She was never able to speak, possibly brain-daaged from the cold. Apparently there was no one willing to take responsibility for her, so she was put in an institution. I guess back then not being able to speak was considered a real mental problem. She may have had other 'dumb'nesses about her, but the 'dumb' in the lyric primarily is about not being able to speak.
I was almost dumb-struck, myself, when we walked in the studio and were ushered right in to meet Our Hero and start making up vocal parts while he played acoustic and sang on the lounge sofa, within five minutes of entering!

echo park, 2004

wow, fbc - i'm so glad you found that! even so long ago... well, i'm finally logging back in after losing my email and fb.net password way back when... having heard about Dave Phillips passing, sigh. i was playing SMYT while remembering Dave and having flashbacks. but couldn't remember all that detail that i recounted here. i'm glad i related the story while it was still fresh. cheers.

Edited by - echo park on 03/01/2021 01:20:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000