Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 New =Title= up for grabs - FB Quote-master!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  00:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
hehe - she's learned some HTML and everything! Pretty soon she'll be replacing me on here. =)
Go to Top of Page

TOTIPOTENT
- Master of Differentiation -

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  04:25:03  Show Profile  Visit TOTIPOTENT's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

quote:
Get on it people!

“Bugs are great. I like bees.”

Hey. He said that to me...
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:33:58  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Is that a problem, totipotent?
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  14:43:09  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Okay, we are up to 22 quotes now, y'all. I hope they will continue to pop up. It seems like the main page only looks two or three of them right now. Hey, we all have our favorites.

"So, can I have a title NOOOOOW?" she whined. (look out the power is going to her head!)

Go to Top of Page

TOTIPOTENT
- Master of Differentiation -

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  17:12:48  Show Profile  Visit TOTIPOTENT's Homepage
quote:

Is that a problem, totipotent?

Not at all, I Scream I just like to point out that that quote is from the answer to one of my questions.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / 'Cause those damn search engines didn't do my site justice"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  00:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
For sure Em! I was waiting for an email reply from you to ask 'so what title would you like'?

And if you want to dub some of your quoterrific underlings, tell me who, and what you wanna dub them!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  07:41:31  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Sarah and I confired and thought FB Quote Mistress would be good, b/c it follows the chain of command! And since I heart Sarah, I must copy her at all costs.

As for the underlings - I think everyone who contributed more than once should have a title. Or is that wielding my power too widely? I dunno. I liked your intial suggestion of "Quote Team" (in quotes? Hee). But that also means that they have to keep getting quotes!
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  18:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
How's that? (Too cheesy? hehe..)

Okay, please save me some time and send me a note with the folks that should be on the quote team. =)
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  20:08:55  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Aww, that's so cute. Congrats, Em!

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  20:28:49  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
quote:
But that also means that they have to keep getting quotes!

I know. As a result, three excellent quotes are as follows.

About the Classic Rock feel:
"Who doesn't like the fucking Who? That's always there, you know? I thought I wouldn't be that good at making a hip-hop record, 'cause I don't really listen to it, you know? It's not really my thing. But I've grown up listening to guitar-based rock 'n' roll, so I'm better at making those kinds of records".
-AtomicLife.net

About his mobile recording studio:
"It's a big pile of stuff".
-Splendid Magazine (I think it's a magazine?)

About if it hurts him that FB is less popular then the Pixies:
"People want to consume mass-products. They want McDonalds and Starbucks. What can you do about it? Make a law to forbid Starbucks? No, it doesn't hurt me at all."
-Interview with Dutch Metro

By the way (and this is a COMPLETELY HYPOTHETICAL question), if I was to get some sort of 'title', could it begin with a - and end with a .?
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  22:36:41  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2002/09/09/202154.php

about gouge away:
"Gouge Away" is a telling of Samson and Delilah. It's a story that has anger. Do I purge via a song? I don't know. I suppose it's possible.

about a reunion:

Sure there's a chance. Know any promoters that want to do a show on the moon?

about ufo references:

What UFO references? There may be a couple, but far fewer than rock journalists have led you to believe.

about doolittle:

Doolittle is Doolittle. There will never be another Doolittle.

about critics:

They are very dumb. Boy that felt good. But the truth is that critics are by definition critical. That's their job.

about kim deal:

You have no idea what my feelings are towards Kim Deal, or anybody else for that matter

from

http://www.theavclub.com/avclub3408/bonusfeature13408.html

about fb&tc s\t:

I don't think it was considered a success by anybody, but I made my money back, so I'm pleased. I don't really have any high expectations in terms of its sales, or whatever. It's not a really commercial-sounding record, and I don't have any giant corporation behind me trying to push all the buttons. I think it's going to be a nice, obscure little record. Which is fine. On one level, it makes it superior, somehow, to be a kind of cultish record.

about music industry:

certainly have gotten caught up in the music business at various times in my life, mostly because you want to get along with whatever record company you're dealing with. I don't want to be flaky. I don't want to be some temperamental, hard-to-work-with musician. I've made my records and I've done all the interviews. I've done lots of long tours. I've made stupid videos. I've done all that stuff and learned all the lingo and gone to radio stations and shmoozed with DJs on the air and met retail people.

about recording an album in 3 days:

"Whaaaoo!" It was making a demo. It's essentially a demo, so I had to be prepared. I haven't made a demo since 1988, or whatever.

about women in rock:

really shitty female vocalists who can't write songs, who are basically skating by on the fact that they have breasts and they sing like babies.

about abbandoning ufo references:

I've avoided a lot of that in my more recent songwriting because I began to earn a kind of tag. I started seeing cartoon drawings of myself with an astronaut's helmet on my head, or flying around in a spaceship, and just corny shit like that.

http://www.chartattack.com/DAMN/2002/10/2812.cfm

about releasing 2 albums:

What else do I have to do? I can fix my porch, but I’m bad at that stuff. I’m working on this escape-proof dog kennel, but my dog has proven it’s not escape-proof. I could do that stuff, but all I’ve got is makin’ records, so I do it!

about quantity against quality:

Putting out a record has become such a serious business. [Affects serious tone] "Here’s my statement to the world." It’s just music, y’know? There are lots of questionable records being released, so fuck it.

about computer music production and mainstream:

I get satisfaction out of saying "I played the damn thing. You and your little band of lame-ass haircut beautiful boys, you didn’t play shit on your record."

about music industry:

If I was gonna take it seriously, the first thing I’d do is go to fat camp, get an image makeover, a producer, start listening to what’s on the radio. Some people enjoy that and find themselves most creative there. I’m sure they thrive on that icky atmosphere, but I’m not gonna bother

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Gala/2483/pixiesweb/earwig.html

about bad bands:
"A good film would be nice. There are so many bad ones."

about pets(yes it's a cat):

"I have a cat named Nemo."

about music:

Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up

about los angeles:

"It's a reference to other places in America called Los Angeles."

about computer typing speed:

Um, I don't type that fast, but I would type faster on a typewriter keyboard.

about screaming:

"A guy in Thailand taught me how to scream (seriously)."

about an alternative carreer:

"A roadie for Iggy."

http://www.jonathanball.com/ARTICLES/FrankBlack.htm

about black rider:

It's like, "Welcome everybody, to the night club. Let me sing you a song about the Devil."

about recording live 2 track:

i just like the challenge. It's fun to have that parameter. We're a band, so let's all play together as a band. We'll either pull it off together or fail, and we'll put all our successes on an album and hopefully eliminate the failures

about the pixies shadow:

The only thing that's would give me revenge would be if I had a hit that somehow overshadowed it.

from.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Gala/2483/pixiesweb/frankblack.html

about music:

i like music from earth mostly, 1940 to present

about early music preparation:

well, I did learn how to cook at a very young age. Grilled cheeses and chili were my specialty.

about if he was an animal:

I would be a fly, so I could sit on a wall and watch the world go by

about fans:

I guess I have the most fanatical following in France, but in general, I find my fans to be a very pleasant bunch

about kicjed in the taco:

well, it's inspired by a a Crispin Glover/Howard Hesseman movie called "Reuben and Ed". Actually, just the phrase "kicked in the taco" comes from that. The song is connected to A book called Green Mars. Actually, it's Red Mars

about instruments and guitar ability:

I really only play the guitar and I would describe my ability as only as high as the fun level

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/november_2002/frank-black.html

about english critics:

What really rubs me the wrong way is when English critics dump on me for incorporating a country or southern rock influence. "It's not my right."

http://www.lunakafe.com/moon54/usma54b.php

about influences:

I guess I would have to credit a few people if I would really analyze my songs and try to find the linkages, but then usually it's not that exact, and if you can't think of the song you might have copied, it's most definitely not the same.

about songwriting:

It's become the pattern to write a group of songs because you know you're gonna make an album. I do know instictively, that I'm gonna need 15 or 20 songs. I have all these bits and pieces floating in my head and at some point I say: Okay, I gotta get serious now, I have two months before I start rehearsing the band. Then I just go into my room where I practice, say goodbye to my wife and go into this thing where I don't talk very much and she knows that

about Changing Of The Guards

I don't think the version was very good, at least not my singing. That was a song I was obsessed over for a while

about record labels:

Well, that's no new story. I get a new record company for every record [laughs]. I think I fit the catgory of a certain kind of artis that in general you'll see on different labels. A) because they are a bit of the culty side of things as far as sales are concerned and that's why you'll see them bounce around and B) maybe they are a bit independent in some way, those kinds of artists who run into conflicts with record labels.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/entertainment/5331106.htm

"Most songs I hear today are over-produced,It's all the same. It could be a Top 10 hit or a dog food commercial. I can't tell."

"I don't really hear it (the influence The Pixies had on Nirvana),I think people think they hear it. They've been told. He (Cobain) probably intended it as a friendly wink from one musician to another. That's all."

"I didn't listen to it; I haven't listened to any of that old stuff,It's not that I don't care - I just don't really need to listen to it. There's so much other stuff I could be listening to - pick up a Chet Baker record or something. I'm not going to listen to a song I recorded 15 years ago."

"He (Parks) played piano and accordion and did an arrangement for one of the songs, 'Manitoba,It was stunning. Suddenly our song was a Burt Bacharach tune."

http://www.anti.matter.com/fblack.html

"you must've been so uncool and unhip! My favorite kind of people, uncool and unhip. I can't stand cool people."

"There's a little bit of shouting on it...not much. The other group I was in -the first group I was in- that was the first I ever sang on a record. Y'know, it was a development kind of thing."

"You just write these little short stories up in your room when you're in the mood. And then you send them to your agent and he does whatever the hell he wants to do with them."

"it would've been pretty cheesy to try and come out with something as hard as I can make it, or as grungey as I can make it. That would've been a little obvious."

"Well, they're the best - I hope I don't repeat my Melody Maker interview - let's pretend you're a musicologist or musical anthropologist from Venus,You're here on earth, you've got a five minute interview with me, and you want me to play you some examples of rock music or pop music. What would I play for you? I think the Ramones are the best example, and taking into consideration 1955 to the present that they have taken in the best influences. They don't encapsulate everything, but little pieces."

"Some of my songs are autobiographical and some are entirely fictional."

"Only if people are doin' their job and getting me on the damn radio. If that doesn't happen, then no, I don't see a broader audience. I see a smaller audience."

"Sometimes I feel like I'm on a political campaign,I've kissed a lot of babies, I've shook a lot of hands."

http://www.earlash.com/frank_black_int.php

Basically I had a couple of albums in my back pocket and I needed to release them, the record companies involved decided to release them on the same day because that's probably the most cost-effective way for them to do it.

That's what we do, every once in a while we record a pile of sounds we like, think it's an album but within a week or two fortunately we are able to catch it and go "nah that's not an album."

Well, whatever success I have is not really because of things like radio or the state of music. I am my own state, this is the state of Frank Black, and it's a gypsy state if you will.

you don't want to discourage people like that because they're good publicity. As long as they're not starting a war in your name or something like that, you go "yeah sure whatever, do it."

I don't know if people think that they know me, I think that they know who I am. I think sometimes they might have too much to drink hanging out at a show and they think that they ought to be allowed to hang out with you. People can become pushy, but usually people become pushy because they've had too much to drink.

If it's a bad review, sure I'll feel bad for about five minutes but then I kind of never think about it again. I try not to read that stuff.

People can write about whatever they want to write about. I guess it's sort of like writing about history; it's just that it's recent history. People want to talk about records I made 10 years ago I don't care, records I make today, fine. Talk about whatever you want to talk about. They don't even have to talk about me...

I'm not pressuring anybody to buy my records or give me a review or an interview. The publicist calls me up and says "hey I got some interviews for you to do, do you want to do them?" I go "OK sure have him call me at my hotel on Friday."

No, most of the predictions I make are much further in future, I can't deal with these 2003, what's that? That doesn't even exist in my mind.

I guess I sing about predictions but they're usually, the more I think about them, usually just echoes of other people's predictions.

http://www.splendidezine.com/features/frankblack/

People listen to songs more than they listen to albums. In other words, I think your brain focuses in on a song, a song that you know, a song that you don't know, a song that you like, a song that you don't like. It's much more natural to tune into the immediacy of what a song is. As opposed to an album. Which is a... I don't know, a high-falutin' concept

It's just that it's not as important as whether the songs are good or bad.

lot of us probably own our own masters. So I don't think owning masters is unique in that regard. Maybe some of the younger guys wouldn't have the opportunity to do it yet.

Well, you know, it's like all the other days, the black letter days, not the special days, but the unspecial days. The days that make up our lives are mostly black letter days. There are more of those than the red letter days. Perhaps they're days we would prefer to forget.

you don't listen to the lyric first. I don't listen to the lyric first either, when I listen

Yeah. I don't know that it was related to current events or anything like that. I try to be as far removed as I can from current events when I write songs, because I don't want them to have that kind of baggage. I'd prefer my songs to be free to move around in time and space rather than to be rooted in a particular time period or anything that other people can identify.

People who know the story of Abelard and Heloise do. But it doesn't really matter. I didn't know about Heloise and Abelard, you know, until I sat down to write the song, and I had to figure out who this person Heloise was. I had to stumble around and stumbled on this Heloise and Abelard, and was kind of like, oh, it's obvious. You're looking for your story. There it is.

You know, you just can't get caught up in all the foolishness. You can't get caught up in getting drunk all the time. Or taking drugs. You know what I mean?

Well, it's always edifying to see different kinds of people at your shows. I think I'm always happy to see patrons there that have paid the money, and they're there in the room, even if they're just there to drink or something or meet people. That's okay, I suppose.

Oh, The Rough Guide. I'll have to try to get that. I haven't been able to focus in on classical music my whole life. I never minded it when I heard it. But it's the first time I'm able to relax enough to absorb it. It's the same thing with a lot of jazz records. I never minded it. I could always listen to it passively. But it's only in recent years that I've been able to listen to it with the same kind of intensity that I listen to rock music.

few...i had no idea that he had done so many interviews...i'll try to find some more links sooner or later.sorry if i included something already posted

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.superabound.altervista.org
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  22:38:39  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
can i have a tittle now?i don't want to be a TOTY for ever you know.i'm trying to do some carreer here.

Edited by - mun chien andalusia on 12/17/2003 23:13:25
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  00:00:30  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Holy Shit. Dude. You're a machine. You're gonna have to impress Emily tho. ;)

"Most songs I hear today are over-produced,It's all the same. It could be a Top 10 hit or a dog food commercial. I can't tell."

Too rich!!
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  01:25:23  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
today i have absolutely nothing to do since tommorow i'm going home for the christmas vacation so i went as far as google's 45th page of search results.here is what i found:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=6348&cf=9

about a reunion

"It's never gonna happen,I can say that the day the Pixies do a reunion tour is the day after I'm dead."

http://www.evo.org/html/interview/BlackFrank.article.battle.html

about the label's (bad) reaction to COR

"I mean, I didn't give them Metal Machine Music,"

about reunions (again)

"It just doesn't interest me,I've graduated from that particular class. It's like being asked if you want to go back to the 10th grade, and you're like, 'No, I'm in high school now.' "

http://www.chartattack.com/features/99/black/2.html

about being a r'n'roller

Yeah, I would, definitely. I guess it comes out that way, but maybe just because I've become more comfortable with my guitar and performing. I don't really have a blueprint or vision that I'm pursuing. It's just the way that it comes out.

about the forming of the catholics

i don't really know if they came about in any particularly interesting way... I don't have a story to tell you. We just crossed paths, worked together, and if you work together long enough, you become a band. It was very unremarkable.

about what's cool

I don't know. It's a vague, abstract kind of thing

http://www.knittingfactory.com/

about places influencing songwriting:

I used to think that where you were didn’t matter because, for me especially, I loved rock music or pop music and I was just really in to it and it didn’t really matter.

about songs changing meaning with time

I don’t know. I’ve been doing it for a living since I was about 20 years old and I’m 35 now, and so I don’t think enough time has gone by to really truly rediscover a song. I’m still in the process of avoiding certain songs.

http://www.scaruffi.com/interv/blackfra.html

about the most important thing in life

"Right now it's my girlfriend Jean. I am not particularly sensitive to relationships and I don't consider myself a social animal, but this particular relationship is quite important for my life."

about the most important work

"I am not the first person who has done this, but I think that I have demonstrated that there are no rules: even though rock music is basically a regurgitation of cliches and rules, there are rules that are meant to be broken, it's a fluid thing. I am one of the many people who have demonstrated that you can do anything you want, that there is freedom, albeit constrained freedom, within the form."

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/05.09.02/frankblack-0219.html

about reviews

"Even though I try not to read reviews it's good to know there are some good ones out there."

about overprduced records

"All that tedious overdubbing and the latest fix-it-in-the-mix computer technology--we're not interested in that.It's rough and ready, a diamond in the rough."

http://bananareport.tripod.com/frankblack.html

Banana Report: So Frank, your new album once again features a guest appearance by Pixies guitarist Joey Santiago - so let me ask the question on everyone's lips: is there any chance of a Pixies re-union?

Frank Black: There's a chance.

http://www.fijski.fsnet.co.uk/interview.html

joey santiago quote

You recorded / toured with Frank Black post-Pixies. what was it like working alongside the same person that you had been in a band with, in a "hired-hand" capacity?
It was all the same... except I was a hired hand

http://www.nudeasthenews.com/interviews/1

about the stolen gear:

I've obviously replaced gear, and I'm happy about some of my replacements; not happy about others, but what are you gonna do?

http://www.atomicduster.com/interviews/gordon_gano/

g.gano on fb's "run"

For example ‘Run’. When I heard Frank Black sing this I thought, and still do, that this is one of my favourite lead vocals of all time

Edited by - mun chien andalusia on 12/18/2003 01:57:43
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  01:33:03  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
i almost forgot the links to the interviews i found.there are tons of cool quotes and many contradictions too as the man changed points of view with the passing of time.if someone speaks french and german he could give a try traducing some interviews that i didn't understand.

German

http://www.laut.de/vorlaut/interviews/2002/06/17/02944/

http://keplerweb.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at/toni-b/html/frank_black.html

http://www.britpoparsenal.de/bpa_inter_22.htm

http://www.radioeins.de/_/sendungen/prime_cuts/interview_jsp/key=interview_93157.html (audio)

http://www.bloom.de/articles/article_000846_php4.htm

English

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2002/09/09/202154.php

http://www.theavclub.com/avclub3408/bonusfeature13408.html

http://www.chartattack.com/DAMN/2002/10/2812.cfm

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/playvideo.asp?cid=1216 (videos)

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/interviews/black.html

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/interviews/black2.html

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Gala/2483/pixiesweb/earwig.html(internet chat transcription)

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Gala/2483/pixiesweb/frankblack.html(internet chat transcription)

http://www.jonathanball.com/ARTICLES/FrankBlack.htm

http://www.evo.org/html/interview/BlackFrank.article.battle.html

http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/november_2002/frank-black.html

http://www.lunakafe.com/moon54/usma54b.php

http://www.chartattack.com/features/99/black/1.html

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/entertainment/5331106.htm

http://www.anti.matter.com/fblack.html

http://www.earlash.com/frank_black_int.php

link (with van dyke parks)

http://www.scaruffi.com/interv/blackfra.html

http://www.splendidezine.com/features/frankblack/

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/05.09.02/frankblack-0219.html

http://bananareport.tripod.com/frankblack.html (show me your tears review and the shortest interview ever.and the only question is about a pixies reunion!)

http://www.fijski.fsnet.co.uk/interview.html ( a rare joey santiago interview)

http://www.nudeasthenews.com/interviews/1

http://www.melvillem.freeserve.co.uk/mmmm/pixies-mm3-88.htm (pixies interview)

French

http://www.soitditenpassant.com/?go=interviews/frank_black_05_99.html

http://www.mcm.net/articles/index.php/21443/ (videos)

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  02:30:38  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Holy Shit. Dude. You're a machine. You're gonna have to impress Emily tho. ;)

yes i am.3 gallons of espresso coffee could turn anyone in a machine.coffee is my motor.prepare my custom,super cool,trendy tittle or i'll start searching on lycos,yahoo etc and flood this place with stuff.ha.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  07:45:59  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Too rich!!

Yeah, that's good, and it is already in the mix.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  12:17:10  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
i like this one the best:

"whatever success I have is not really because of things like radio or the state of music. I am my own state, this is the state of Frank Black, and it's a gypsy state if you will."

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  19:57:41  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Ten more quotes, each one from a different source. Maintains the diversity.

ABOUT TOUR MANAGING:
"My drummer, Scott, does a lot of tour managing and stuff. Maybe I'm booking hotels and that kind of thing, but I'm not dealing with money. I'm not very good with the money. Sometimes Scott gives me hold of the money; he gets me to hold the money because he has to go do something, but one time I left it all on the sidewalk in Chicago, and fortunately, someone picked up my bag and gave it back to me. It had twenty thousand dollars in it."
-Vpro.nl interview

ABOUT SELF-SATISFACTION FROM THE LIVE TO TWO-TRACK RECORDINGS:
"I get satisfaction out of saying 'I played the damn thing. You and your little band of lame-ass haircut beautiful boys, you didn’t play shit on your record.' I’m being cynical."
-Chart Attack

ABOUT TORONTO:
"Last time we went to a lot of music stores because our gear had just gotten ripped off and we were scrambling to buy new guitars. The drummer is very fond of those hot-dog vendors. As for me, Toronto's an urban place, so I do typical things like go to bookstores and stuff and just experience the bohemian lifestyle -- coffee, alcohol, food. I try to eat Greek when I'm there because Toronto has great Greek food."
-Interview with Ryan Watson

ABOUT WANTING TO MAKE MUSIC:
"When I was a college student I saw a lot of art films and films about the history of art and I really dug them. I was reading about Serge Gainsbourg recently; he was the son of a painter. He realised that he didn't have what it takes to be a great painter but knew that it was surrealism that turned him on. So he became a surrealist that made music. I guess that is what happened with me and the Pixies. I take my cue from rock'n'roll records now, but surrealism was the first thing that made me want to make music."
-BANG

ABOUT ATTRACTIVENESS OF WOMEN:
"Nothing is more attractive than a girl who has been abandoned by her so called friends. Your neediness will attract a suitor in no time!"
-Jane Magazine, November 2002 issue

ABOUT YOUNG COLLEGE RADIO DISC JOCKEYS:
"I just don't have patience for the young'uns... I hate to say, but it's true, you know? Without a doubt, any representative of a college station or newspaper - they just stink. And I'm generalizing, I mean, there are some nice people out there doing it. But most of them don't know how to hold a conversation. They don't know how to ask a question. There's nothing! I have to kinda do all the work for them... I just got done talking to some kid from Yale who scored 1800 or something on the SATs and the guy can't even form a fucking sentence. It's unbelievable."
-Flagpole article

ABOUT PREDICTING THE YEAR 2013:
"Alright, here's a prediction. The Los Angeles County aqua-duct sections, specifically the, you know sometimes call it the LA River Storm Drain System, that's just spread out mostly around the LA city, I think they're administered by the county I'm not sure. That whole network, they're kind of like canals you see them in movies in chase scenes, you know what I'm talking about…those will all be filled with water from the somewhat polluted but very large aquafier that's underneath the San Fernando Valley and they will fill this network of water ways, they are usually there for the storm run-off in the winter, they'll fill those from the water under the San Fernando Valley, they might even clean it at some point after pumping it up onto the surface before it goes back down they'll filter it at some point and clean it up a bit and there will be a canal boat system around Los Angeles City."
-Earlash

ABOUT FANS:
"Fans are still a thread, especially the ones who are drunk and think to know you. But I'm less scared of people. So I discovered that you can have a good conversation with people right away. I never talked to women for years. When you're on the road it's difficult to protect your relation. When women come near you and want something of you, you push them away. But now I can see that really not everyone wants to go to bed with me. I trust my sense more, instead of deciding nobody can come in contact with me. That's the important lesson: I don't have to see people as a thread automatically. And that I too belong to the human race."
-OOR Magazine Interview

ABOUT SMYT LYRICS:
"My wife had been suggesting for me to be a little more direct with my lyrics little more...not personal...but universal. To give something more to people. I've written a lot of songs about her and songs about our breakup. More than anything, it puts you in a certain mood, and the musics naturally going to reflect that. I'm pretty good at the moment, but it's all a bit surreal."
-The Irish Times

ABOUT RECORDING LIVE:
"We're not trying to be off-the-cuff. People think that we play one take and 'Aw, that's it!' But it's not like that. It's really intense."
-Telegraph

ABOUT...UM...EMOTION?:
"You get all emotional and everything talking about your feelings and all that. My wife had been trying to get me to go down this road of being a little more direct for some years. So I had to go find something to make me cry, some artificial thing. 'Why don't you get a sad movie,' [my therapist] said. Are you kidding me? I laugh at people that cry at films. Having said that, I got into this Elliott Smith record that I discovered through The Royal Tenenbaums. I can pop on "Needle in the Hay," just thirty seconds and I'll be bawling like a baby."
-Rolling Stone

By the way, Dave Noisy, you have a random quote pop up on your site, http://www.TheNoisies.com? If so, can I be the Dave Noisy Quote Master? Here's some classics I compiled from the forum as an example:

"Informal my ass. I put on my tie every time I log in."

"I try not to buy shit with packaging...and then i compost, and wash and reuse all my plastic baggies, recycle all the rest of the plastic, as well as paper, cans, glass, etc.."

"Bappy Hirthday!"

"This really is FB."

Edited by - IceCream on 12/18/2003 20:54:37
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  02:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
hahaha..i just about missed that...

Frankly, i'd be scared if someone were collecting my ramblings. =)
Go to Top of Page

pinkashtray
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  03:07:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

i like this one the best:

"whatever success I have is not really because of things like radio or the state of music. I am my own state, this is the state of Frank Black, and it's a gypsy state if you will."

i LOVE that

-whatever i say is only spit-
Go to Top of Page

pinkashtray
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  03:58:24  Show Profile
ok i couldn't help it..these are all bf quotes..i know the idea is fb,it being fb.net and all,but the fact that he did say them, thats gotta stand for something? no?..anyhow i tried to find the original source of all of them, but i had no luck.

Can you smile please, Charles," Melody Maker photographer "True beauty NEVER smiles at the camera"

"I was super horny when I was a teenager"

"I wanted to command some faith to the audience. I wanted them to be intrigued, absolutely curious about what I am. That's what makes music attractive to me - it's the hole you get sucked into when you really get into a song."

"I'm making a living, yeah. But I could make a living doing lots of thing. It's not like I went to astronaut school and now I'm going to the moon"

"I like calendars for pictures, especially rock photos! And girls! Ee-hah!"

"Mass murderer Ted Bundy was killed in the electric chair that morning and Jean, my honey, showed off her endurance against electric current on the "Test Your Strength" machine."

"I love to eat. Food doesn't affect you in a spiritual way, but sound does"

"I think I'll open my own Mexican restaurant. Maybe here [UK]. Or in Holland. One day."

"If I could be anyone, I'd be Dr. Doolittle and talk to the animals. We'd shoot some shit"

"I don't know if it's just that I am a fucked up kid or if it's that I appreciate the macabre, the strange or the horrible"

"I'm a wimpy little nerdy guy. Well, not little but... So you know I guess I just want to rock like Iggy and all those other people."

'I've been kinda influenced by the charismatic Pentecostal thing which my family was into when I was a kid in California. I grew up exposed to a lot of preaching and righteous rage. It certainly left me fucked up, that's for sure"

"I'd like to have been around when the Spanish and the Dutch were mapping out the world. It bums me out that there's no land left undiscovered. Not even the moon."

"Everyone thinks I'm a wimp and even my own band hates me. Oh, well. I guess I'll just flip 'em the bird!"

"Much joy after hearing "Doolittle" has entered the British National Charts at number eight. I've been reading "The Wicked Ways Of Malcolm McLaren and just got to the part where the Sex Pistols' "Never Mind The Bollocks" entered the British Charts at number 11. Three places below could make me grin. John Lydon can suck my dick any time."

"If they don't like my indie rockin' ruckus, I'll flip 'em the bird."

"I need my own pirate TV station. I wanna go to the moon. I wanna do this duet with Morrissey. I wanna keep making good rocking music that takes me. I just wanna be reduced to skin and bone. I want my songs to paralyze me"

"Let me try and clear my head. I think I'm actually having a thought"

"I'm really depressed there are no frontiers left to cross. And we'll be dead probably before people can go out to space"

" If anything is a big influence on me, it's David Lynch. He's really into presenting something but not explaining it. It's just 'This is an image, this is an idea, isn't it cool?'"

"I like David Lynch movies, there's something oddly normal about them. I like Fassbinder too, but miss all the political points in his films because I'm too busy reading the subtitles"

"Ultimately I'd like to release a single once a month, every now and then have a hit and every couple of years put them together as a compilation album. And then retire and run a coffe shop in Rotterdam and play reggae and classic punk records all day"

"Jean and I blew a ton of savings so we could fly Concorde just to see the curvature of the earth. It's something you don't normally get to see, so I figured out, if you can do it, do it"

-whatever i say is only spit-
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  23:15:46  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
ABOUT THE MAN WHO WAS TOO LOUD
"Yes, we were trying to do that song for a while and for the first time, (finally) we cut that one that Lyle, actually, I think finally put the period on the end of that sentence because he finally realized “oh yeah , the lead guitar, he can’t bent any of the notes”...and so finally the song was nerdy enough. Not that were trying to be nerdy because we think Jonathan Richman is nerdy or anything like that. It’s just like...just that particular song had to have a certain kind of sound, and it was always too this or too that, and we were trying to cut it for a few years, and it never sounded good for whatever the reason. Sometimes, my vocals weren’t good, or the band didn’t sound right for the song. We don’t play it that often, but on [Frank Black and the Catholics], it finally sounds right or something."
-Interview with Randy Dawn

ABOUT END OF MILES
"On Black Letter Days, I really like this song called “The End of Miles”. That’s about mostly California beach towns. I don’t know if you’ve spent any time in California beach towns, but you kind of run into a lot of people on the sidewalk that are kind of at the end of the line. They’ve kinda come from somewhere else and fallen on hard times, and they’re usually very tan, and they’re not necessarily homeless (though some of them are), but they’re just kind of a little bit lost and a little bit vacant or sad or something. Or a little crazy. With a lot of caffeine in their system, maybe. Anyway, when we play California beach towns, we meet a lot of these people on the street, and I’ve determined that the California coastline is the end of miles for a lot of people. There’s nowhere else to go except over to Hawaii or Japan by boat or by plane, but it is the end. It’s the Pacific Ocean and it just stops there so a lot of people stop there. They’re still going, but they don’t really want to go back from where they came from, and you can’t really physically go anywhere beyond that."
-Mp3.com interview

ABOUT HOW FREE HE IS AS A MUSICIAN
"Being on independent labels helps to be more free because you just can put out records at a faster rate. There are less problems. So I like that aspect of it. It’s not really a question of freedom, it’s just ability to keep oiling the pipeline at all times."
-WebTV interview

ABOUT BANDS
"Bands are meant to be broken up. Unfortunately, people rally around them like sports teams."
-Exclaim Magazine http://www.exclaim.ca/index.asp?layid=22&csid1=72

ABOUT COLLABORATING WITH IGGY
"That is actually an idea I kicked around with the Catholics: recording an instrumental demo for Iggy Pop, sending it to him and saying, 'Hey, there's the music, let's make an album. If you care to do lead vocals, we'll do the rock music. Let's do it.' Duets are so forced, aren't they? When it's a duet by design I think that it's usually more interesting than when you say, 'Hey, I'm gonna sing with you because, you know'...I shouldn't say that because I had the ultimate of that singing in duet with David Bowie at his concert. Now of course, most of the people at the concert had no idea who I was, but it was pretty fun."
-interview with John Lyttle

ABOUT THE NAME “THE CATHOLICS”
"To my ears, 'and the Catholics' sounds punkig*, and this sound of the name was the reason why we call ourselves that. It is, however, no attempt to search controversy with the church."
-http://keplerweb.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at/toni-b/html/frank_black.html

ABOUT THE INPUT OF THE CATHOLICS
"You know, there might be a comment here or there, but it's usually an after the fact kind of comment like ‘Hey, I like what you're playing.’ ‘Oh yeah, I decided to change it a couple days ago.’ You know what I mean? It's not like ‘O.K., let's have suggestion time.’ It's not like that, it's a lot more natural."
-eWire Magazine

ABOUT FRANK BLACK AND THE CATHOLICS MUSIC VIDEOS
"We did a low budget for Robert Onion in Germany a couple of months ago. You will probably never see it. Do they still show videos over there? I watch that jackass guy sometimes."
-Frank Black online chat on MusicToday

ABOUT SAYING NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT OTHER ARTISTS
"I had said something when I was very young, or younger I should say, and very new at doing interviews, and I had said something negative about [Morrissey’s] first solo album in an interview. And I wasn't even that serious about it, you know, I was probably smoking pot at the time. Anyway, Morrissey reads all of his music press religiously, and I think he read that...And I think that he sort of nixed it because I had made this comment, and rightly so. I mean he was just defending his own art. He didn't need some little like punk rock guy telling him that his record was no good. So I don't really blame him at all. Anyway, I feel bad because I didn't really mean it. I was just shooting off my mouth and I had probably heard his record one time and you know it didn't turn me on right then and there so... But anyway, I've learned a lesson ever since and I don't say negative things about other artists anymore, even artists I truly don't like, and I happen to like Morrissey a lot, but even artists that I really can't stand. I definitely don't say anything negative about them in interviews because it might get back to them. Some people get really offended because it's close to them and they can't help but being offended. I suppose I'd be offended too."
-Interview with Caveh Zahedi

ABOUT HIS DOG
"Oh, just a slender white mutt. She's probably got a lot of greyhound in her. Anyway, she's a real beautiful dog, and I have a pretty big backyard, but she inevitably, no matter how much dog-proofing I do, sooner or later she figures out how to make the great escape. And she only does it when I'm not home, you know. She gets stressed out cuz we're not here. She's got a lot of anxiety issues. So sooner or later she makes a breakout, and she doesn't really get into trouble, but you know I just dont want her to get hit by a car or something. So anyway, we have the guy putting in a giant, you know, dog kennel-style dog run for her that's escape-proof. I have another dog that's fine, she's kind of fat and lazy, you know, but we've had her since she was a pup so she doesn't have any psychological issues really. Other than the ones we've presented her with. So she's fine, I don't need to tie her up or anything like that. But the other one, man she's just ... I can't leave her in the house, cuz eventually she gets mad enough, and I'll come home and the door jamb will be ripped out of the wall (laughs). Just like something really super destructive. The house will be trashed, and like the wall will be damaged. She'll start gnawing through a wall. This dog, I just can't keep up with her. The only thing I can do with her is to just keep her at my side for like 24 hours a day. And I just can't do that. I even try to take them into the studio sometimes, and they're pretty good at the studio, but there's always a lot of people coming and going, and they're always worrying about where you are, and always want to be by your side. And when there's people coming in and out of the soundproof doors and there's cables everywhere, dogs just kind of end up stepping on em a lot, so I just leave them at home. But I digress."
-Interview with Nude As the News

ABOUT THE CUTTING EDGE OF ROCK
"I have friends that are musicians, but it’s not really a question of being so aware of every record they’ve ever done because, of course, there are many records that are released: more and more every year. So it’s more a question of what I do than trying to remain on the cutting edge of rock."
-That’s from Frank’s French Interview on the FTP....I apologize for any mistakes.

ABOUT IF HE HAS PROBLEMS PLAYING PIXIES SONG LIVE
"Why would I have a problem with it?...Oh, because I'm not in the band, because like the band broke up? They're just songs (laughs). We play songs by Tom Waits. We play songs by Sunhouse, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan..."
-Interview with VPro Radio

ABOUT INDIE ROCK
"Indie rock? You know that indie rock thing? I invented that. I invented indie rock. I invented it; it's all mine. I have a patent on it, as a matter of fact. People don't realize I've made billions from my indie rock patent. Patented Patent Patented not only in the United States but also the United Kingdom and capitals in Europe. But there's some guy in Russia who thinks that he invented indie rock before I did, so we got this little battle going on: me and...sergee is his name."
-Interview with Vpro Radio

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
*I have no idea what this word means. I provided the link...maybe someone can translate it.

Edited by - IceCream on 12/30/2003 00:14:31
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  00:09:22  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
I edited this post again with an actual quote this time:
"I'm not an entertaining, deejay kind of guy".
from http://www.evo.org/html/interview/BlackFrank.article.battle.html

By the way did Ramona ever "save [Dave] time" and "send [him] a note with the folks that should be on the quote team?' =)"? And, if so, what was the response? I'd find it hard to believe if munchienandalusia didn't qualify...

Edited by - IceCream on 12/31/2003 18:53:04
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  07:37:04  Show Profile
here's a great one:

from http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/november_2002/frank-black.html
"My wife said "Gee, you're really writing a lot of great songs, Charles, but everyone's gonna think I'm a bitch."

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  09:14:06  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Yeah, that is a good one.

I am going to add some more to the mix tomorrow. I think there are 28 in there now, and they seem to all be popping up which is lovely.

Thanks all for your help! Happy 2004!
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  19:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Yay - so glad to see this operation moving smoothly. =)
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  08:01:07  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:

By the way did Ramona ever "save [Dave] time" and "send [him] a note with the folks that should be on the quote team?' =)"? And, if so, what was the response? I'd find it hard to believe if munchienandalusia didn't qualify...

Well, we had an email discussion about it but it was never clarified. It seems to me that you (IceCream), munchein, and Holiday Son (although he hasn't posted much lately but did a lot in the beginning) were the ones who contributed the most. But what would you like to be called? Team Quote? Quote-meisters? Suggestions, please.

In a world full of caterpillars, it takes balls to be a butterfly
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  08:02:38  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Is the page text wrapping on other people's computers? It's very long and scrolly on mine...
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  19:06:02  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Yes, the page text is wrapping on my computer. very long and scrolly in mine. (Not the only thread that does it though. One time Dean Katsiris wrote a very long comment without putting any spaces between the words - I think he did it to make a point, but the fact remains the same)

But I don't quite comprehend. Are "Team Quote" and "Quote-meister" your suggestions for titles, Emily? Or by "Team Quote", do you mean that the contributors are all part of a team, and thus, they should all have the same title? Which I personally think would be appropriate SEEING AS THOUGH we all contributed (and continue to contribute) for a common cause.

As for suggestions, I like:

=The Quote Accumulator=
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  06:49:40  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Yes, I meant those as suggestions as titles b/c there are going to be three or four of you with a title, which I thought would be the same.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  12:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
hmm..beats me why the page is so wide...i shrunk down that one really wide URL..

I like = Quote Accumulator =
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  11:44:43  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
"I've heard The White Stripes because I got really drunk at their gig and bought everything at their T-shirts stand in a drunken stupor"
~ A great quote from part of an interview taken from the Calgary Sun.

you have to add that one!!

Ai ai ai ai / Hey Sandy!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  12:41:33  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I would if I understood it. He's heard the White Stripes BECAUSE he got drunk at a gig? That makes no sense.

Is that the direct quote?
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  16:56:07  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Perhaps he means that he has proof that he heard them (though he doesn't remember much, due to the dunken stupor bit), as he ended up with a bunch of stuff from their vending stand?

well, it's a thought, anyway. If it's right, it may not bode well that I understood it at the get-go. Too many drunken stupors and the drunken-babble-logic starts making perfect sense.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000