Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  07:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<innocently> Me?

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  07:26:47  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I now have Deans as well and I am really liking the grand majority of it. I have only heard one other Franz Ferdinand song before and I liked what you gave us. The Unicorns and Postal Service are good too. When I finish it up and give it another go I will drop my favs.

Dean, I don't know if I said that right, about taking offense to Shel's Smoke Off. I know it's a bad song, but it's interesting and fun. I guess unless someone here is really opposed to smoking or straight edge, maybe they would be offended. And Crooked Fingers released there first 2 on Warm and then moved to Merge. It seems to be a better fit for them.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"

Edited by - kingphilbert on 10/28/2004 09:04:57
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  07:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, that makes sense (on the record label front). Also on the Smoke Off. I thought, "Well, I didn't hear anything I could be offended by when I listened to it", but maybe I was distracted by the man's voice. Which sends shivers down my spine. :)

Probably going to check out more of this stuff...

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  09:05:55  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He does have a creepy voice.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  09:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some of those little clips are cool, too. I like the "not a number" one. Well put together.

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  12:09:36  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I love using those to make it flow and break it up. I grabbed almost everyone from episodes of Futurama. The "I am not a number" is from the Simpsons referencing The Prisoner. The Prisoner, Patrick McGoohan, is actually playing himself (No. 6) in the episode. Homer is No. 5.

Oh, I know some of you have said you liked "The Lark" commercial. That ended up on a mix that my friend made for me a few years back. It's nice and catchy.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  19:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Obfuscate, you really got somethin against Britt Daniel, don't you? :)

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  19:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dean - still no psychic twin favs?

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  20:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See, he's in my car right now, so I can never remember which songs were which. I'm going to bring it in to work tomorrow just so's I'm all caught up.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  09:27:22  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since Dean broke the rules, I did too. Sue me.

Oh, as you turn to leave

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  16:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got kingphilbert's now, and it's a well-constructed work. I love Rocket From The Crypt (easily the LOUDEST band I've ever seen live), and I didn't realize the guy had another band going. That was cool to hear, and I also really enjoyed some of the Bachmann/Archers Of Loaf stuff. I'd never heard any of that before despite having the desire lurking somewhere under my skin. I also thought it was cool to see someone make one of these discs and really lean on a few bands, because I'm certain many of us will hear a band for the first time this way and base our conclusions on the one song made available. I probably would, anyway. Being given a bit of a selection (as opposed to a flighty taste) is obviously a better way to get a feel for a performer.

That said, my discs are in the mail as of tomorrow (if the post office is open) or Monday (if it's not), and it's nineteen performers with one song each. So no selection from the one who just praised it. I'm in the process of moving right now and didn't have all my music at my disposal, but it's a few of my favourite bands, a couple selections from the collection of the woman I love, and I must admit I can't figure out how some of the songs made it considering what didn't. I already regret not putting on any Minutemen, Faust, Pere Ubu, Slackers, Can, and a shitload of other soundcrafters I'm too quick to cite as favourites. Just so nobody gets their hopes up, I don't have a computer anymore so I didn't get to make cool artwork or anything like that. The poor songs are forced to stand on the power of their collective spine alone!

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  06:51:34  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crispy, I am very glad you enjoyed the disc. Speedo from RFTC is also in Hot Snakes, who are touring right now. He's on gutiar and backing vocals. He had Drive Like Jehu in the past and a solo project, Back Off Cupids that would have been a soundtrack to a film if it ever happened. Here's with looking forward to yours.

I also picked up Ben Kwellers first disc yesterday. Thanks Thomas.

Dean, the Unicorns? One album? Easily available? That might be what I go looking for next.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  07:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, they only have one album available so far: Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone. Should be able to find it at your local cool record store no problem.

Anyone like the Clearlake track? They have better stuff on that album, but I thought that one might be one of the more accessible tunes.

I'm having a heck of a time picking favourites/worst from Psychic Twin's discs. Too many!

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 11/01/2004 07:10:34
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  07:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey dean, i noticed you took the order of senders out of your initial post - can you repost them? i like knowing who's coming next

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  12:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that order was slightly out-of-date since a few people moved around, but I can do that once I get home and have access to my email.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  13:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks!

-brian

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  16:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought the Clearlake song was okay, but far from the best. I'd rather cast my votes for the best after I've had a chance to hear all the discs.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  17:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dean's Tracklist
1) Spoon - Don't Buy The Realistic
2) Clearlake - Come Into The Darkness
3) Franz Ferdinand - Shopping For Blood
4) Unicorns - Innoculate the Innocuous
5) AC Newman - The Town Halo
6) Asterid - Pinstripe Gin
7) GBV - Chasing Heather Crazy
8) Metric - Grow Up & Blow Away
9) Postal Service - Such Great Heights
10) John Williams - Imperial March
11) No Birds - Heavy Metal Will Never Die
12) Polyphonic Spree - Hold Me Now (Section 12)
13) Dears - Lost in the Plot
14) Clinic - Circle of Fifths
15) The Shins - Saint Simon
16) Frank Black - Selkie Bride
17) Metric - Raw Sugar
18) Broken Social Scene - Cause = Time
19) The Pinch - Democracy
20) Spoon - Me & The Bean
21) Weakerthans - Manifest

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  07:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sort of regretting my choice of Clearlake track on that one now... I should've put one of their better tracks instead of the one I thought most accessible, as they are infinitely more interesting (though I do enjoy that song quite a bit). The same could probably be said about the Dears track. There are even a few parts in that one that I don't like so much, lyrically, musically...

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  07:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i didn't dislike it per se, just the weakest of the tracks on there. i really dig the asterid track, but i had it on my computer before getting your mix, so it didn't make the "new favortie" category

-brian

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  07:40:52  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeeze, I'm getting worried that my CD is not going to live up to all your high standards. I just picked purty songs that I love!

Oh, as you turn to leave

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  07:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

i didn't dislike it per se, just the weakest of the tracks on there. i really dig the asterid track, but i had it on my computer before getting your mix, so it didn't make the "new favortie" category

-brian

Cool, thanks. Three of the bands on that disc are from Saskatoon, and slightly more than half are from Canada. Figured that it was our job (Crispy/me) to put some Canadian content on there for you guys.

I wouldn't worry, Em. How's your coming along, anyway? Also, you haven't put up your favourites/not favourites yet.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  17:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I definitely included Canadian stuff, the top of my head says three or four songs. I guess it's not that much, but I probably have more Greek songs than any of the rest of you!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  17:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you Greek, Crispy? I almost put Nichta by Stelios Rokkos on mine, but, well, I didn't think it'd fly so well.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  17:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not at all Greek by birth or ancestry, but I put one Greek song on the disc. Some of the music I've heard from that country is among the most stunning stuff I've heard.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  13:30:01  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's up?

-

I've been looking for Crispy's mix for the past couple of days.

Are we taking a break?

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  14:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ditto on not getting the crispy mix (sounds like a breakfast cerreal) yet

-brian

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2004 :  20:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got it on Friday. It's on the way I'm sure.

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  06:21:50  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am still waiting on Crispy's CD as well.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  14:45:04  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
same here.

Sorry for the lack of comments, king philbert & Cult
I'm in the middle of moving so things have been a little insane for me

i will give my impressions asap
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  19:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can i just say my mix kicks fucking ass?

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  19:05:19  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

can i just say my mix sucks ass?

Try to think positive Tony. I worry about you.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  19:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have reached mix nirvana

soon you shall enjoy its pleasures

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  08:05:32  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Cool, thanks. Three of the bands on that disc are from Saskatoon, and slightly more than half are from Canada. Figured that it was our job (Crispy/me) to put some Canadian content on there for you guys.

I wouldn't worry, Em. How's your coming along, anyway? Also, you haven't put up your favourites/not favourites yet.

I know. I'm behind. I have been working a ton AND trying to get my site up too.

Anyway, I should have my CD's sent out by Thursday (the 11th). I haven't gotten anything since yours, Dean. Am I missing some?

Oh, as you turn to leave

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  09:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, Crispy's should be en route...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000