Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  06:29:05  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
king phil-
track listing post, por favor?
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  07:51:31  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope everyone (in the states at least) has received theirs so I am not ruining it for too many. It is knida heavy on one artist, though across 4 different bands/projects. Can you quess who (which 4)? I have to say as much as I love Frank, the forementioned is my favortie singer/songwriter. For the most part I just gave you all smples of my fav artists, stuff I listen too all the time. And I love adding the segue samples to all my mixes.

01. - Futurama Clip -
02. Free Language Demons - Rocket From the Crypt
03. The Rotting Strip - Crooked FIngers
04. Trying to Forget You - The Sultans
05. - Simpsons/Prisoner Clip -
06. A Diamond is the Devil's Eye - Eric Bachmann
07. Some Kinda Hate - The Misfits
08. White Belt - Rocket From the Crypt
09. Jet Lag - The Sultans
10. - Studebaker Commercial -
11. You Threw A Spark - Crooked Fingers
12. Iditorod Sled Dogs - Barry Black
13. All Hail the Black Market - Archers of Loaf
14. Universe to Speed - Lungs of a Giant
15. - Futurama Clip -
16. Here Come the Martian Martians - Jonathan Richman
17. - Futurama Clip -
18. The Smoke Off - Shel Silverstein
19. Smokers in Love - Archers of Loaf
20. After the Last Laugh - Archers of Loaf
21. Doctors of Deliverance - Crooked Fingers
22. On the Prowl - Rocket From the Crypt
23. My Standard Break from Life - Alkaline Trio
24. Spider-man - They Might Be Giants
25. - Futurama Clip -
26. Golden Throat - Barry Black
27. Rabid Dog - Barry Black
28. Testing the Bomb - Shel Silverstein
29. - Explosion -
30. Bombs Away - Archers of Loaf

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"

Edited by - kingphilbert on 10/28/2004 12:13:42
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  09:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spiderman is not by TMBG - its by Moxy Früvous

just thought i'd inform the masses...

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:06:40  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I downloaded that a few years ago and it came down as TMBG so that's how I always listed it. It sounds like them so I figured yeah, they probably did it a long time ago on something I never heard or didn't own. I always had the thought it was actually someone else.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  13:20:57  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was really surpirsed to see the Shel Silverstein on there.

Became a little giddy.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  13:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't believe how many bands there are that I've never heard of.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  14:18:22  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dean, Same here as for the first two CDs.

Obfuscate, if you haven't listened yet I hope you enjoy Shel. It's something more adult than what most are used too. I do have a lot the children's poems on CD too.

Tomorrow when I am back in front of a comp I will list a few songs that didn't make the final cut. See if anyone else got the CD yet.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  16:26:08  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Got KingPhilbert's CD and I'm really finding it hard to get into. It all started with the second or third song when I thought the singer was going to break into 'Sweet Caroline', that singer should be in a Neil Diamond cover band.

That's all for now.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  16:30:42  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
PTwin.

I can't get The White Stripes' You're Pretty Good Looking(For a Girl) out of my head.

I only own Elephant but now am more willing to buy earlier recordings. The song is so simple and yet so good..................looking for a girl.

Edited by - Thomas on 10/21/2004 16:32:12
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  06:59:13  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomas, so it wouldn't surprise you if I said that Neil Diamond is who Eric Bachmann (Crooked FIngers) is refered to voice wise very often.

"In fact, at times Bachmann's voice is a spot-on replica of Diamond's, though these tunes are romantic in a different, darker sort of way than, say, 'Sweet Caroline.' "

Don't worry if you can't get into it. I can't even get my girlfriend to listen to my music. I hope you enjoy some of it. You should here Crooked Fingers songs Sweet Marie and Angelina. Very Neil. Oh, he covered Solitary Man on an EP.

A few tracks I cut due to time constraints:
Travis - Definition of Wrong
Travis - You Don't Know What I'm like
Misfits - Astro Zombies
Alkaline Trio - Private Eye
Bell and Sebastian - Me and the Major
Rocket from the Crypt - Human Torch

Two tracks that were switched out last minute:
James Kochalka Superstar - President Kochalka
Crooked FIngers - Under Sad Stars

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  07:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I almost put Belle & Sebastian's Step Into My Office, Baby on mine but it also got cut. I have a sinking feeling that my mix is quite different than everyone else's, though I hope there are a band or two on there that people haven't / would like to check out.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  14:41:40  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

PTwin.

I can't get The White Stripes' You're Pretty Good Looking(For a Girl) out of my head.

I only own Elephant but now am more willing to buy earlier recordings. The song is so simple and yet so good..................looking for a girl.

I know exactly what you mean, and agree 100%

haven't actually heard Elephant in its entirety
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  12:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really wish that we had done this with two-weeks instead of one. I don't feel like I've given adequate time to either CD so far, and I just got KingPhils CDs today. Which, BTW, look great. I'm on track 3 right now, The Sultans.

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  14:18:19  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the Sultans. I know what I gave you is more of a poopy sound, but still excellent. Their first album was very low-fi garage punk. I think I have been able to give everyones cd a good amount of listening time. I will probably be listening to them even after this is all done.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  18:19:01  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with listening to them after it's all said and done. I listened to most of Thomas' once on the way to work and thought it was pretty good but it's been eluding me at the end of every day since, so I can't really remember well enough to offer any input. Give me a couple days maybe. I do recall that I liked the visuals you included.

Dean's, though, I think is excellent. Same as before on the visual stuff - I had always thought those programs would suck and they probably would on any computer I'd pay for, but you guys have almost made me want one now. There are a couple of songs I don't really care for, but I'm now regretting not going to see Metric last time they passed through my city. I'd never heard the Postal Service before, and sometimes I like the song but can't listen to it at others. I'd only heard one Unicorns song before, which I kind of liked but thought was a bit overdone. The one you chose suits me a touch better, I think I've changed my mind about ignoring them now. That Franz Ferdinand song was pretty cool too; I heard their disc once but don't remember that tune. I love Spoon, so it was good to hear those ones. Of course, the most pleasant surprise was the appearance of a Frank Black track I'd never heard before. The song of your own that's on there was a hit with all the drunks I was driving around on the weekend, so if Asterid comes to Edmonton you'll have at least a couple people excited.

My only real beef with your disc was the Star Wars song. It's not that I don't like it, but it didn't seem quite like it belonged. Of course there's some significance I wouldn't be able to catch - I think I remember you having mentioned on here that hearing that music had an incredible effect on you - but the rest of the disc flowed so smoothly in my ears that the one song was kind of like a hangnail for me. I'm not one to talk though, I'm sure mine will be plenty schizophrenic.

Haven't got kingphilbert's yet (though I haven't checked today's mail), so I'll be back when that happens.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  18:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess now it's our turn to have to wait for the cd's

ok. going to listen to kingphilbert's now

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  20:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, John Williams rivals Frank Black as my number one musical influence. I'm not sure who would win out of those two, they've both affected me in different ways. I actually couldn't agree more about it spoiling the flow, but I needed to have at least one track on there and I didn't want to put it in slot 1. So I chose it to open the second half. Or close the first half. Whichever.

Glad to hear that it makes you want to reconsider some of these bands. That Unicorns song is probably my favourite (or really up there) but it took me awhile to realize it. I knew that most people would've heard Franz before, so I put a b-side on there which, in my opinion, is at least as good as any on their album. I feel the same way about that Postal Service tune, but it's a good one to have on hand for a night on the town. When you're in the mood, it's terrific, and the lyrics are quite excellent. I think Emily will know it as I believe it was in her signature for awhile.

And of course I'm glad to hear we'll have some drunken rowdies when we come to Edmonton. Which, hopefully, will be sooner than you think (I'm working on booking something for end of November/early December, though we may have to push that back to Jan). We had a really amazing show on Saturday that has really gotten us excited about pushing this music thing again.

Anyway, delighted you love it. I'm still listening to King Phil's at work, bringing earphones tomorrow, and going to alternate with Thomas' and Alex's so that I get those three settled. And also with Arcade Fire's Funeral, which is such a damn good record that I'm wishing I had drawn my name a little later so that I would've included these. Might even make a Minneapolis trip in November to see them.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 10/25/2004 21:03:55
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  10:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, I've started a list of my favourite and least favourite. Go back and edit your first posts where you signed on to have you favourite and least favourite from each CD so it's all in one place when we're done. And then we can start the controversy! Muahahaha.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  11:17:22  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You are EVIL! Like the fruit of the Devil.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  14:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got Dean's. got some catching up to do.

should i feel pressured to give my cd a nifty title now?

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  14:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was pretty fast, Floop. One week to the day.

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  15:00:37  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have Deans yet. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  15:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i, too, have not recieved dean's - i have a feeling that i will know/own a good deal of his stuff and that his tracklist might affect mine - but hey, i'm up for the challenge!

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  16:54:12  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Had Dean's waiting for me when I got home from work.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  09:25:19  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got Dean's yesterday but I also got HONEYCOMB so I am listening to that right now.

Oh, as you turn to leave

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  11:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I should post my tracklist soon...

BTW, keep the favs/least favs to two so we can put together a mix of everyone's favourites.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  13:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have to say i like Kingphilberts. don't have the specific tracks in front of me, but overall it's a fun disc. and i like the not-so-produced theme of most of the bands. it reminded me that i need to buy some Archers of Loaf finally.

Deans i'm liking too. nice sampler of some of the better new bands. i have the first Spoon album and kind of got sick of it. but these new tracks sound good. i might have to check it out.

the Unicorns weren't my thing.

i'll give more specific criticsim when it sinks in.

there's something about the title font that bothers me, but i can't put my finger on it. that's my main gripe

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  13:27:09  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got Dean's yesterday.

I've only been able to skim through it so far.

-

Re: Imperial March. Seems a little out of place, but kinda gives the disc a bit more personality.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  13:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, Floop, I agree on the font. I had a cool font that I picked out from home, but I sent it to work so I could print it on a colour laser and we don't have the font. I was in a rush to get 'em printed and cut on my break so I could mail 'em at lunch, and just left it with the automatic replacement.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  13:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was referring to the font color actually (cough)

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  13:41:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, to those that haven't done so, go back to your first post in this thread (pg 1) and write in your 2 favs/least favs.

I haven't radically disagreed with anyone's choices yet.

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  13:58:55  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Floop, yeah, pick up a couple Archers of Loaf albums and you won't be disappointed. I hope not.

For some background info on my CD, it is mostly comprised of 2 of my top artists in one project or another. Eric Bachmann and John Reis.

Eric Bachmann fronted Archers of Loaf and did the Barry Black work on the side as a freer experiment of a project. www.aliasrecords.com for info on those two. He then formed Crooked Fingers in 2000 and the track Dean likes "A Diamond is the Devil's Eye" is from a film score he did. www.crookedfingers.com for info and free mp3s and www.mergerecords.com for a little more on the film score and Crooked.

John Reis is Rocket from the Crypt's frontman, he formed the Sultans as one of his many side projects a few years back and is the head of Swami Records in San Diego. www.rftc.com and www.swamirecords.com

I hop eno one took offense to Shel Silverstein "The Smoke Off." I added that because it's fun and gives you another perspective on him.

Enjoy.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  14:16:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't take offense, just really grated me for some reason.

Crooked Fingers are on Merge? I had no idea.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  15:53:27  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been going over all the cds to get my "best ofs" and I'm having a crap time trying to narrow them down.

Psychic, I didn't specifically mention before, but the Butthole Surfers track "Some Dispute Over T-Shirt Sales" is a definite highlight. I dig this band so much, and am loving them more and more these days.

Gibby Haynes and His Problem is well worth checking out. They played a tiny venue in Chicago last month (Abbey Pub) and fucking rocked! Gibby Haynes is so nice and cool, he's one of my heroes now. Some guy clambered onstage and gave him a big bear hug, Gibby looked like he blushed, then sheepishly said "Well, ok!".

Dean I got your cd yesterday. Haven't listened yet, still trying to play catch up!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  06:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
got dean's in the mail after work today - just finishing up my first listen

dean, you broke the no FB rules! even if it is unreleased, still!

of all the NA mixes, this one is the closest to my collection so far

-brian

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000