Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  05:47:16  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i think Thomas has already won the "best packaged" award.

haven't listened yet. time is not plentiful to me at the moment. but it looks good

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!

(:
yeah, rub it in. My cheap-skate packaging was a choice of necessity, not preference! then again, it was really really bad--time restraints and a lack of readily available materials are the culprit. Let's just say the proof in the pudding, and leave it at that...
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  06:13:18  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I listened to part of Thomas's CD last night and some more this morn on the way to work and as of right now hearing Poor Girl (by X) has made my day. It's grey, raining and shitty here and when I heard the first few seconds and recognized the song it picked me right up. I have a version of Poor Girl by Eddie Vedder and the Supersuckers and it has been one of my favorite songs (rarities) to date. Awesome to hear the original.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  06:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thomas's has gotten its first listen, second listen to come today at work. i enjoy his mid-90s texas representing with the toadies, ben kweller (radish was mid 90s) and baboon. i am not from texas, but i enjoy all three artists very much. that was quite a fertile scene for a while.

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  08:44:35  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

thomas's has gotten its first listen, second listen to come today at work. i enjoy his mid-90s texas representing with the toadies, ben kweller (radish was mid 90s) and baboon. i am not from texas, but i enjoy all three artists very much. that was quite a fertile scene for a while.

-brian

I don't know what it is about me and bands from Texas. Three other bands on my cd are from Texas; The Paper Chase, Tripping Daisy and Pleasant Grove.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  09:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm consistently amazed by how much good music comes out of a state that is rumoured to be full of gun-toting hicks. I realize this is the stereotype and I'm just saying that all this brilliant music makes it clear to me that, though I've never been there, there's more to Texas than oil, cattle-ranching, and public hangings. :)

Spoon and the Polyphonic Spree are both from Texas, to name the first two that come into my mind. And I know there are many more that I've suddenly blanked on. Plus Austin City Limits is incredible.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  13:26:17  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

haven't listened yet. time is not plentiful to me at the moment. but it looks good

No pressure Tony

Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  13:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate that I missed out on this. But, the rest of us can all learn from your critiques if all of the track listings are eventually posted.

Love that Hater showed up on a disc and all the Tx bands from my clubbin' heyday. Have fun...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  13:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It'd be interesting to take the top two tracks from everyone's compilations (giving 22 tracks total) and make a CD. I haven't listened to enough of Alex's to begin to nominate my suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  20:33:31  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

It'd be interesting to take the top two tracks from everyone's compilations (giving 22 tracks total) and make a CD. I haven't listened to enough of Alex's to begin to nominate my suggestions.

i like that idea a lot, Dean
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  21:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

quote:

No pressure Tony

actually, it does take the pressure off. i know i won't have time to do something that cool, so i'm just going to let the music speak for itself.

psycic, it wasn't a burn on you at all. i was just complimenting Thomas on that excellent packaging. seriously, nice job Thomas.

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  21:21:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, here are a few of my impressions.

PsychicTwin's:
I enjoyed Hater's "Down Undershoe". Reminded me a lot of June of 44 and Rodan, which is definitely a good thing. Of course the Melvins' and Butthole Surfers' tracks were great too. About 7/8ths of the stuff is in our cd/vinyl collection - did you sneak into our house one night?? Basically, I really liked just about everything on the 2nd CD, nice and cohesive, strong mix. Hit and miss with the songs on the 1st, Gist and Jefferson Airplane in particular really bothered me. But it's just personal taste subject to my feminine whims I suppose. Biggest surprise of the set? Spoon. I thought I really disliked them. "This Book is a Movie" may have changed my mind enough to take a further look, and with fervor. Really reminds me of something, and it's driving me nuts. Tortoise?... By the way, I already had listened to your band's songs on your site and was impressed, but I don't remember this song. Boy is that good -I hope you don't mind me saying so, but it's super Brit-pop (in the good sense - the real thing). Why don't you guys have a label yet?

Also, I loved the Fleetwood Mac track. Beautiful.

I'd like to do a song-by-song rundown, but me so sleepy.

I'm still trying to digest Thomas' CD. It's all in a similar strain/mood, so I need some more time with it.

RIP Rest In Peace Jacques Derrida. rasta. ruowa. freedom from activity. a brief pause in reading. a rhythmic silence in music.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  23:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jen, there's really no way you can dislike Spoon. Seriously. They're awesome and somehow underrated.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  06:44:01  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jen-
Glad you dug the Hater track! I love their sound...looks like I'll have look into hearing some June of 44 and some Rodan (who I've actually heard of before). That's the beauty of this mix-trade-off, the cross-pollination of good taste (:
As for Spoon, I think Dean put it perfectly. DEFINITELY underrated...This Book Is A Movie was one of the first songs that converted me, so I thought it only suitable to put it on the mix. Spoon was one of the hardest bands to narrow down songwise, just because there are so so many good ones.
I could see how the Jefferson Airplane track might have come out of nowhere...it was kind of an impulsive choice. I like the idea behind the song, but in retrospect it was a definite flow-buster!
As for the overall similarity to your guys' CD/vinyl collection...I guess if you had a FB.net Forum blow-out shindig at your pad, it would be an evening of very enjoyable and kickass music (;
i'm complimented that you dug the Psychic Twin track so much. I guess we should up our efforts to find some kind of label...I kind of put that project on the back burner, because I'm playing with a new band in DC (we're called The Mall) and that is developing quite nicely. Psychic Twin will always be an ongoing project in some way, shape, or form though...since its rooted in my own songwriting. Blah Blah Blah blah blah

Thomas- Still listening to your mix, its gotta sink in a bit more before I make comments. the Ben Kweller track leaps to mind as being especially good...there is a lot of stuff on there that I had heard of, but never heard...which is a good thing indeed! I'll have some more feedback for you after day two of listening to it (today)
EDIT: oh yeah, I was THIS close to putting VU's "What Goes On" on my mix as well...glad I didn't now!

Edited by - PsychicTwin on 10/15/2004 06:45:50
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  07:14:29  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was really down with the Ben Kweller track as well on Thomas's. My sisters been trying to force him on me for the last year or so and I never listened. Then like I said above, Poor Girl just grabbed me when I heard it and Dinosaur Jr. is real good. I never really gave them a listen before.

Thomas, I love the Rentals, but have you been able to get into Matt Sharp's new solo stuff? I bought Pucketts and kinda enjoyed it but the album, I had to stop it half way through. It was a real disappointment.

FYI, my CDs are in the mail and on the way. So keep your eyes peeled for "Kingphilbert presents... Taste Like Whiskey." I hope it's enjoyed by all.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  07:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
---OFFTOPIC
Brian, presuming you're down with paying your share of the shipping/service charges, the NYC ticket is yours for Dec 18 at midnight at face value.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  13:13:14  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Here is the list of songs for the voyeurs.

Thomas - Spacious room in quiet neighborhood

1. I Did a Terrible Thing - The Paper Chase - Hide the Kitchen Knives
2. Storm the Gates - Enon – Hocus Pocus
3. Possessed - Suicidal Tendencies – Suicidal Tendencies
4. Not You Again - Dinosaur Jr. - Ear Bleeding Country
5. Harriet's Got a Song - Ben Kweller – Sha Sha
6. Martian Landscape - UFO - 4:57
7. Dollskin - Toadies - 5:37
8. Mechanical Breakdown - Tripping Daisy - 3:18
9. Move On - The Rentals - 4:16
10. Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy - Frank Zappa/Beefheart - 5:59
11. We're So Happy (We Left the Piano in the Truck) - Earlimart - 3:52
12. What Goes On - The Velvet Underground - 4:45
13. Exercise One - Joy Division - 2:32
14. Crash - Baboon - 2:22
15. Poor Girl - X - 2:48
16. Bring the Pain - Mindless Self Indulgence - 3:39
17. A Solid System - Pleasant Grove - 3:50
18. Speedy's Coming - Scorpions - 3:31
19. (Do Not Feed The) Oyster - Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - 4:44
20. Then Came the Last Days of May - Blue Öyster Cult - 4:52

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  13:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brilliant, I haven't heard a single one of those songs yet.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  12:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really liked the Psychic Twin song too. Most of those discs, in fact, I found enjoyable. Most of them were bands that I've heard, but songs I had never previously encountered. The Doors song on there is really sweet, and I liked the Hater song too. I'd always wanted to hear them, but for some reason never given myself the opportunity. It was great to see someone pepper the list with so much Wellwater Conspiracy too, they're one of my favourite bands. For some reason it surprised me how much I enjoyed the Iron Butterfly tune as well, but I suppose I've only heard a few songs. With all of them it was the same - I didn't expect to be impressed, but I was.
That's all for now, I don't have the list or my wits about me at the moment.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's a whole lot of bands I have to follow up on checking out.

Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  13:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you going to do this again soon? Please please?

Maybe we can do some sort of inter fb.net swop thing - those tracklistings posted so far are looking great. Apart from that you're all doing proper reviews and everything - the other compilation cd swop thing seems to be still trying to get all the cds to each other or something - don't get me wrong, there's been some really good stuff, but it just all appears to be slowing down somewhat and my hunger for new music at the moment has become utterly insatiable.

Edited by - Surfer Rosa on 10/17/2004 13:26:04
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  14:54:30  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surfer Rosa

Maybe we can do some sort of inter fb.net swop thing - those tracklistings posted so far are looking great. Apart from that you're all doing proper reviews and everything - the other compilation cd swop thing seems to be still trying to get all the cds to each other or something - don't get me wrong, there's been some really good stuff, but it just all appears to be slowing down somewhat and my hunger for new music at the moment has become utterly insatiable.

Slowing down?

One person fucked it up.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  15:31:49  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surfer Rosa

I am sure this will be done again by others and I am actually surprised no one else has started a 3rd yet. Dean did have a good idea for compiling the 2 or 3 best tracks from each disc to make another comp. Maybe something we could send to others outside the mix mixxer in the end? I will gladly send out a few more copies of mine if anyone wants a free comp after they see my track list.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  16:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thomas - i'm digging the Earlimart track.

(more comments to come)

Edited by - floop on 10/17/2004 16:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  03:16:39  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

thomas - i'm digging the Earlimart track.

(more comments to come)

I knew you would. Remember this
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4148&SearchTerms=earlimart

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  10:14:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I'll be getting Thomas' CD sometime this week, though I haven't really got through Alex's enough yet.

I finalized and burned my CDs last night which took some time as they are all overburned. I used some photos of mine as the artwork and I'm printing/cutting them at work today (except the CD labels which I did at home yesterday).

Anyway, it's 21 tracks with a bit of an emphasis on newer bands and Canadian artists (with a few representative tracks from my biggest influences - and I broke one of my own rules to do this), and I will be finishing them tonight and mailing them tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  10:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been chizeling away at mine.

not to pat myself on the back or anything, but listening to my mix, i'm like, "this is a fucking good mix!"

i guess we all essentially make mixes that we ourselves would like.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  10:55:09  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomas-
I dig the Dinosaur Jr. track quite a bit, never heard that song before. Like I said before, quite impressed with the Ben Kweller track. Also, the Toadies are a band I've been hearing about for a while...and now I can see why. Checked out another song on their website too, and it sounded great--I'll have to look into them further.
the Zappa/Beefheart song is brilliant! as is the Mindless Self Indulgence song (came out of left field for me, never even heard of them)...I love the Stephen Malkmus/Jicks song as well, makes me want to hear more of his solo efforts.

Keep 'em coming! This is satiating my need for new musical exposure in an excellent way
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  14:59:47  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mindless Self Indulgence or MSI are from NYC. A childhood friend plays guitar in the band. They played Cochella during the Pixies reunion, that is as close as they come to greatness. That MSI song is a cover of Method Man.
Not pretty but I like the song.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  15:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like that you didn't fully repress your inner Metal Head (i know about you and Metallica). putting the Scorpions track on there and all.

if i'd there's one thing in common about your disc, as a whole, most of the songs are guitar-driven. which i like.

i like the Joy Division track, despite the fact that it doesn't really build or climax or anything..

UFO is interesting. kind of Bowie esque.. (i still haven't had a chance to really listen to all of it)

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  15:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MSI have a live record that i absolutely despise. i got in at the station i worked for my first week as MD (music director) and the promo whores were talking about it, comparing it to "live at leeds" and "get your ya yas out" and it is quite possibly the worst live record i had ever heard. that being said, the track on the mix i really dig a lot!

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  06:28:49  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

if i'd there's one thing in common about your disc, as a whole, most of the songs are guitar-driven. which i like.

That is what I was hoping for, but even so I worried that I had too many songs that sounded like the keyboard was the focus. I used the live version for the last song "Then Came the Last Days of May" just because the guitar solo is so much better than the studio version. The song is a true story about a drug sale gone terribly wrong.

quote:

i like that you didn't fully repress your inner Metal Head (i know about you and Metallica). putting the Scorpions track on there and all.

If I had all the LP's I own in CD format I'm sure my mix might have been different or a double. I was heavy into UFO, Scorpions, Blue Öyster Cult, Michael Schenker Group, Alcatrazz, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in the early 80's. Life for me, musically, was altered by the commercially successful "More Fun in the New World" by X in 1983. For the record I liked the Scorpions pre-Love at First Sting and teased up cheesey hair.

In a way this CD mix is an out of order progression of my musical tastes throughout the years.

Edited by - Thomas on 10/19/2004 06:42:19
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  07:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, my mix happens to be a little heavy in the keys department, so good luck... :)

Speaking of which, "The Night Against the City" is en route to all of you as of lunch time today.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  18:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... and I got Thomas' mix today. Very nice.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  20:28:32  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got King Philbert's mix today in the mail...
gave it a once through in my car to and from band practice. Need to listen to it one more time before I make comments, but I found it very well put together as an overall mix...plus I like the segue samples (like that old car commercial, whatever that was)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  20:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeesh, I'm a week behind. I wonder if it'll take as long to get mail back to you. According to Canada Post is should only be 4-7 days...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000