Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  08:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey guys,

new idea - for my int'l CD swap i included in my package a piece of paper that said the album/website of each artist so if someone really loved a track they could get instant info about it - should we adopt this as standard practice for the N.A. mix?

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  09:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everybody's CD should definitely have a tracklist. URLs might not be a bad idea, but I figure you could just ask on here about them. So if you have space/time to include them, then feel free. If not, that's why we have this thread.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  10:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a reminder again, ObfuscateByWill, that I need your name or nobody's going to be able to send you CDs. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  10:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and how's everyone's tracklist coming along?

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  11:07:32  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine will be lovely but I am more excited about making a pretty cover. I'm also hoping I will get my own laptop before my turn b/c I want to be able to do this at home and not at work.

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  12:51:27  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have started on mine and once the tracks are down I will throw together some real nice cover art for you all. I usually listen to the mixes while I am doing the art to get the feel of were I want to go with it. Maybe color, probably Black and White on colored stock to save some $ like my Pixies covers I had posted here.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  14:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine come along good

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  15:13:16  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops.

Been busy..

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  08:03:31  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Finaly got all the song I wanted to fill an 80 min CD. I know I didn't have to fill it, but I wanted to. 20 songs in all. Last night I was working on the CD cover art and my wife said I should spend a little more time with her. You girls are always right, but I just had to finish it. She said it looked gay. Thanks hon.

I've been doing most of the ripping at work so I wouldn't have to hear comments like that. I know the track order is never going to be right so I'll wing it. After all I only have a week left.

Just to let everyone know, I'll be sending mine out Saturday Oct. 9th (John Lennon's birthday, he would have been 64). Since I work late every day and I don't want to be rushed at the post office during closing it would be the best if I did it then.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  08:09:12  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please don't reprimand me
but
I'll be mailing out my CDs on Oct. 2nd (tomorrow) instead of today. I wasn't quite done, and didn't want to rush. I've been hella busy, buying an efficiency in DC & with band stuff & some personal issues...so I'm pushing my mail-out date a day forward
Sorry everyone!

would have loved to do cover art, but did not find the time to do so. Still, I hope you all enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  08:20:40  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you've had a heck of a lot to deal with. Did everything work out ok?

Of course it's not an issue! We'd have to burn you at the stake if it were more than one day's delay though. hehehe

You buttered your bread, now lie in it.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  08:28:59  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm still in the process of working it all out, Jen. But yeah, I'm on top of things...more or less
That is a whole other story though

I'll mail 'em out tomorrow. Something about being set on fire just doesn't appeal to me too greatly
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  09:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PsychicTwin

Please don't reprimand me
but
I'll be mailing out my CDs on Oct. 2nd (tomorrow) instead of today. I wasn't quite done, and didn't want to rush. I've been hella busy, buying an efficiency in DC & with band stuff & some personal issues...so I'm pushing my mail-out date a day forward
Sorry everyone!

would have loved to do cover art, but did not find the time to do so. Still, I hope you all enjoy it.

this is unacceptable. i demand a refund for my free cd!

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  09:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool! Let the fun begin (tomorrow).

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  16:53:33  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CD #1 on its way, friends...

I opted for a double-CD mix, and even then I'm still kicking myself in the ass for stuff I couldn't fit on/forgot to put on...(i.e. TELEVISION...what the hell was I thinking)

Still, I hope you all enjoy it. I spent a while ordering the tracks too, so hopefully it all flows in a somewhat cohesive manner.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  07:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome, I can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  16:03:38  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to make a correction.

I forgot to list a song on the track listing.
(so here's a free little "preview")

track 26 on CD 1 is Smashing Pumpkins, Spaced
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  16:04:24  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but you can pretend it's like a hidden track or something

and it will feel more special
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  07:10:37  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome. I can't wait to get the first disc(s) in the mail. I am working hard on mine a little every night. All the same thoughts you guys have, I feel bad having to cut songs out that I really want to give you but I don't know if I want to go double disc. I should be ready for the 14th though.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  07:43:43  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CD 1 of my mix is 26 songs...i think CD 2 is 22 or 23.

You guys have your listening cut out for you!! if you can, listen to the CDs in their entirety (preferably through headphones, or loud in a car, for the full effect)...then let me know if the mix gets you going, or doesn't do anything for you. I'm really curious
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  17:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i got it today - looking forward to listening to it tonight

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  22:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
didn't get mine

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  23:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You got yours already? I'm jealous. I'll probably get them all last. Bah! Thomas, you ready to go for Saturday?

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  00:27:01  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got 'em yesterday.

-

I think I'll need to listen a few more times. Not really into it at all.

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  06:03:10  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I get mine today.

I have my final mix laid down for all of you, minus any minor last minute track changes. I will be ready for next week. Can't wait to send it.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  07:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i dig psychic twin's - at first its a bit overwhelming since its close to 50 songs. but it is quite cool - i'll save the more detailed response to when everyone has theirs

-brian

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  07:38:29  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got mine yesterday! Thank you! But, I am very dumb and forgot to bring them to work. Duuuuh. Looking forward to bringing them tomorrow.

And the long way ‘round we go to get there

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  07:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy schnikes! 50 songs is a lot to digest, especially as I try to find some other music to throw on my disc (I'm trying not to put more than one from a band, but I might move to two/band). Still, I'm excited to get it!

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  07:45:42  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

You got yours already? I'm jealous. I'll probably get them all last. Bah! Thomas, you ready to go for Saturday?

They are already burned. Since I have a few extra days I'm gonna put on CD-labels for that added protection with art. I'm also making cover art, nothing spectacular, just something to put in a CD jewel if you want to.

As for PsychicTwin's mix. I got it yesterday, but had to wait till today to listen. Since I'm at work it's hard to get the full effect since I have to have the volume so damn low. I can't tell what I'm listening to half the time. Can't wait to get home to listen at a reasonable volume. Just by looking at all the tracks on his I feel like mine will be so small in comparison.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  10:15:06  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm debating whether or not to do a 2 disc set - i might make the first disc my "international cd mix" from the other thread and then make a new disc for this. still debating it

-brian

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  10:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's tempting to go with a 2-disc. but then, you run the risk of losing your audience. my goal is to craft one highly condensed disc of perfect songs. (and then maybe add a "bonus disc")

so do you think it's better to go first or last?

if you go first, then you have free reign to put whatever songs you want because no one else will have done them.

if you go last, you run the risk of people putting songs on that you wanted to include in yours. but then, you have more time..

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  10:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely with Floop. One disc, condensed, easy to listen to. I would never give someone I was introducing to indie two discs worth of material as I'd surely lose them. Though I would pack one disc completely. Since you guys are not in need of an intro to indie, you might not even see a full disc, but a more listenable 15 or something...

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  11:34:55  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

i'm debating whether or not to do a 2 disc set - i might make the first disc my "international cd mix" from the other thread and then make a new disc for this. still debating it

-brian

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Man, I'm lazy.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  11:35:56  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am only doing one disc. It takes my stupid work laptop a long time to burn a CD so it is more for that reason than anything else.

And the long way ‘round we go to get there

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  20:20:36  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow, I guess I might have gone a tad overboard with two discs!
I doubled up on a couple of bands, as you've no doubt noticed. In retrospect, I think the first disc is the more "definitive" mix...I think it just flows better, altogether.

The 2nd disc is more of a laid back vibe, a little more 60's rock in there and what not (at least compared to disc one, that is)

I just want to let everyone know a little about the local/indie-est bands that are on there...
-Cerberus Shoal -- they're from Maine. very experimental, I saw them live a few days ago when they played a show in DC actually. These people are multi-instrumentalists in the purest sense. They will take an inanimate object and make it percussion, or make it produce some kind of tone. Also, my best friend's cousin is in the band...I think she is actually the (female) vocals on the track. http://www.cerberusshoal.com
-The Chance -- local band from DC. they have a very art-punk kind of sound...very reminiscent of Pavement & Sonic Youth, with a splash of DC-hardcore in there. Played a show with these guys, their music is all the more effective live... http://www.thechancemusic.com
-Gist -- another local band from DC...they have something very interesting going on, a very cross-genre kind of sound. Abstract and yet accessible enough to get you sucked in...I have yet to see them live, but I love what they have going on. http://www.gistmusic.net
-Psychic Twin... my little project, been going on since I was 17 or so. in some way, shape, or form. I'm not big on the kind of glossy recording of the track (done in a professional studio), but a few people have told me they like this song quite a bit. So thought I'd share... http://www.psychictwin.com
-Weird War... local as well, but definitely have gotten a lot more exposure than the aforementioned bands. You might have heard Ian Svenonius & Michelle Mae if you've ever listened to The Make-Up (never heard much of that band myself.) Anyway, the tracks I included are from their first album. Started off as an visual-art concept, but allegedly evolved into a musical project because it seemed more suitable. Neil Hagerty from Royal Trux contributes guitar and some vocals on the tracks I put on the mix...a definite plus. I saw them live a week or two ago, fucking awesome! love em...a lot... http://www.dragcity.com/bands/weirdwar.html

Umm, that's about it as far as the local scene goes. Hope you all enjoy the rest. Sorry about the sheer volume of the mix, I may have been a tad overzealous (:

Itchin' to hear some comments. Even more eager to hear everyone else's mixes!

Edited by - PsychicTwin on 10/07/2004 20:22:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000