Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  10:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine were sent today - so now, the white label mix (as i have named it) has been entrusted to the men and women of the us postal service...so it might be awhile

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  01:11:40  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, um, about that...

I was late sending the discs.

-

Kept getting pushed further and further down my list of priorities.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  05:39:22  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope everything is ok? I'm sorry I didn't meant to pressure you at all.

chemical flood if we accept that emotions and thoughts are translated instantaneously into chemicals, we are shocked at the bathing process that flushes our insides and outsides - posing as needs and desires. in addition to the ordinary caffeine and nicotine fix, there is a specific chemical addiction for “I overate yesterday” “how can I win so-and-so’s attention?” “I remember when we blah blah blah” “I need to buy whatever for the apartment” etc. all this and we haven’t even opened our eyes. then it hits you, these aren’t the thoughts of someone who is free.

Edited by - apl4eris on 12/09/2004 05:40:52
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  06:59:52  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have Floops as of early this week. I feel like I am missing one before that though.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2004 :  00:32:33  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No pressure.

-

Seriously lamenting my choice of tracks, though.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  07:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone get my CD yet?

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  07:24:04  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Got BF's and OBW's the same day.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  09:37:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to clean up around this place and then I'll let you know who's CD I have. I think I'm quite behind now, though.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  12:09:17  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have both Obfuscate By Will's and Broken Face's mixes now, but I'm way too freaked out trying to make mine to have had a chance to listen.

They look compelling though.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  17:28:56  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel I've had a chance to digest the last couple I received, so here goes:

ramona's has some pretty good songs. I liked the Muffs song, the Sleater-Kinney stuff. There were a couple more but I don't have it with me at the moment; the last song might be my favourite. There was also a song by Babaloo (I think) that impressed me. Unfortunately, there are also some songs on it I don't have much time for. Again, I don't have the list but the fourth track (Ben Lee or something?) scratches my blackboard.

King of Siam's disc is a true winner for me, though. My mind is small enough that I had felt safe assuming (as I'm sure most of us did) the one I made would end up my personal favourite from this project, but I truly feel this one is better than my own. Excellent songs, top to bottom. There's one tune I might not like, but it's not as though I can't stand it or anything. Glad to see someone finally started whipping out a bit of Patton; somehow I would have expected his cumulative tally from this trading deal to outdo Spoon, though I'm also glad to hear them. I don't think I'd heard Death Cab For Cutie before, and while the song itself was enjoyable I wish they would have someone else sing it - that guy's voice drove me batty! The Wilco song is also solid.

There are surely more comments I had regarding each of these discs, but I managed to not bring along the lists with me, so for the time being you only get what I was able to scrape out of my skull. One thing I definitely remember, though, is top marks to King of Siam from me.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  11:01:20  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

PsycicTwin - i've got a friend who lives pretty close to you, over on U street. spend a good amount of time there last year.

ok, this pretty much explains why I haven't received a mix CD since Dean's...

I was going to move to the Washington, DC address but things took an unexpected turn when I lost my job. So I assume there are a bunch of CDs that have gone to that address (which as far as I know is currently unoccupied)...i'm gonna go in to the apartment complex soon to tie up some loose ends regarding a cancellation of the contract, so I hope they might have held whatever CDs were sent there. Yikes. Very disappointing.

any subsequent mixes should be sent to:
Alex Eliopoulos
6027 Clerkenwell Ct.
Burke, VA 22015
...which is my temporary address till about mid-January. since its temporary, I don't give two shits about posting it on a public internet forum (:

i really hope I can track down the lost mixes. I also hope I can get back with some more in-depth feedback...but unfortunately real life has been erratic and unpredictable for me lately.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  11:53:29  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry. I'm running a little bit behind, I hope you all don't mind. Some of the transfers from vinyl had glitches. :(

"Seventh Seal" - The church painter is explaining why he is painting a mural about death.

Church Painter: Why should one always make people happy? It might be a good idea to scare them once in a while.
Jons: Then they'll close their eyes and refuse to look.
Church Painter: They'll look. A skull is more interesting than a naked woman.
Jons: If you do scare them...
Church Painter: Then they think.
Jons: And then?
Church Painter: They'll become more scared.
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  13:53:30  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sent my mix to the DC address.

Oops

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  07:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose i should post my tracklisting: (PS there is a misprint on mine - it is Roberto not Robert Menescal)

1. Simian - LA Breeze
2. Ted Leo/Pharmacists - The Angels' Share
3. The Kinks - Victoria
4. Os Mutantes - A Minha Menina
5. Animal Collective - Leaf House
6. Balanescu Quartet - Model
7. The Shins - We Will Become Silhouettes
8. Sufjan Stevens - Romulus
9. Chris Murray - Steady Beat Convention
10. The Meters - Live Wire
11. Barclay James Harvest - Taking Some Time On
12. The Bad Plus - Keep the Bugs Off the Glass and the Bears Off Your Ass
13. David Byrne - She Only Sleeps
14. Frank Zappa - St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast
15. Frank Zappa - Father O'Blivion
16. The Fire Theft - Rubber Bands
17. Belle and Sebastian - Piazza, New York Catcher
18. The Black Keys - Grown So Ugly
19. They Might Be Giants - Drink!
20. Roberto Mesescal and Seu Conjuto - Surfboard
21. Fatlip - What's Up, Fatlip?
22. Sean Lennon - Into the Sun
23. The Byrds - Nothing Was Delivered
24. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (demo)

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
c'mon people, let's get this thread back on track

did jen send out her mix yet?

does anyone want to comment on floop'ss, obw's, or my mix? post new favorites? anything?

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  13:40:26  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry I've been *a little* behind. First there were vinyl transfer glitches, then we had last minute Xmas shopping insanity before the big drive to see our 3 families, then came....the Snowstorm From Hell.

We got snowed in for a full 7 days. No Christmas, no family. UPS and USPS couldn't get down our road much less our driveway. Had a flat in our tractor tire, so we couldn't plow with it, but it wouldn't have helped anyway, as the ice inside the top layer of 18 inches of snow was 6 inches thick. And our gravel driveway is about 700 feet long.... wah wah wah

So yeah, we just had to pay somebody to plow us out last night in order to preserve any semblance of sanity we had left, and now I'm trying to get this stuff in order. If all goes well I should have these out by the end of the week.
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  14:27:21  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Geez apl. Out in the boondocks.

-

Anyhoo, here's my tracklisting:

1. Micro Mini Cool - Takako Minekawa
2. Oj Vilket Liv! - Komeda
3. Fortress / Deer Park - the Fall
4. We Are All Prostitutes - the Pop Group
5. Lucinda - A Certain Ratio
6. Hallo gallo - Neu
7. Auto Modown - DEVO
8. Drastic Classism for Electric Instruments - Rhys Chatham
9. Theoretical Girls - Theoretical Girls
10. I Slept in an Arcade - Black Randy & the Metrosquad
11. The Sky Is Blue Again - the Ex
12. Smother Love - Crass
13. Hypocrisy is the Greatest Luxury - Disposible Heroes of Hiphoprisy
14. For the Love of Beauty We Created a Beast - Flux of Pink Indians
15. Same Old News - the Ex
16. We live As We Dream, Alone - Gang of Four
17. Cavern - Liquid Liquid
18. Dish It Out - James Chance and the Contortions
19. New Values - Iggy Pop
20. Erecting a Movie Star - Shudder to Think w/Liz Phair
21. The Day I met God - Adam Ant
22. Gimmie Some Skin - Iggy and the Stooges
23. I've Owned You for Centuries - Robert Pollard

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  07:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
by the way scott, you are crazy not to like your north american mix - its fantastic

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  12:36:48  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

I guess I feel it was just kinda thrown together.

-

I spent a bit more time on my International mix. Compiled most of the tracks on that mix a couple of days after my mom died.

Makes me think of her. I listen to it quite a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  12:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i haven't listened to the international mix yet, just b/c of the sheer number of CDs from the holidays/the mix projects, i'm trying to absorb them all

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  10:04:40  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You guys ok with 3 cds? If so, they'll be going out on Monday. I hope this don't suck, I feel like I just pulled out my eye teeth 20 times over. ;)

Now I can go listen to Scott's and Brian's cds. The track listings look really good.

Edited by - apl4eris on 12/31/2004 10:08:07
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  10:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
3cds from you will be a late christmas gift

-B-B-B-Brian

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

c'mon people, let's get this thread back on track

did jen send out her mix yet?

does anyone want to comment on floop'ss, obw's, or my mix? post new favorites? anything?

-B-B-B-Brian

yes, it is a tad disappointing to go through the effort of making 10 mix cd's and get zero feedback. but that's entertainment

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
tony, i put up favorites in the first page - so i'm trying to give you SOME feedback

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:44:22  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think maybe the "favorites/least favorites" is temporarily diverting necessary feedback. I hope since we're on the other side of the holidays, we'll all have more time for discussion.

Especially now that I've made 30 mix cds for you ingrates. ;)
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if anything it's been good getting exposed to some new stuff (i even bought an Archers of Loaf cd).. but the discussion factor is sadly dead in here.

apl, i think 3 cd's might be overkill, but i guess it won't hurt

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:00:20  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might be..?

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey, three cds might be hard to digest and all, but its three new cds - i've bought at least 4 albums from artists i've heard on these swaps - i'm grateful for anything new

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe apl's right about diverting attention. That said, I'm also behind and feel bad commenting on a new CD when I still haven't listened to Alex's enough at this point.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:39:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can still send just one ya know. I haven't left for the Post Office yet. I have the same number of songs as say, Psychic Twin's 2cd mix, but a few of the songs are very long. Deal with it.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a short attentio

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:50:16  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, Jen, I meant about the favourites/least favourites, not the three CD thing. Send all you want, the more the merrier in my mind.

I'm tired today and obviously not being very clear, sorry. :(

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:07:59  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah I know, that was not directed at you Deaner. I was just ribbing floop and OBW (and anyone else who can't handle my absurd generosity) in a friendly way. ;)
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:09:02  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where is Alex now? He's got me all confused.

VA or DC???

I guess I'll go searching through these here pages....

edit: Nevermind, I'm blind. Alex, I'll be sending it to the address below, as I assume "til about mid-January" means I have enough time...

Alex Eliopoulos
6027 Clerkenwell Ct.
Burke, VA 22015
...which is my temporary address till about mid-January.

Edited by - apl4eris on 01/03/2005 12:14:10
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:56:44  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're on their way - I hope you enjoy them.

Just so ya know, the cover artwork (different for each one) are kind of random images, only one is my own photograph. And the stuff on the back is kind of random too. Or not.

Oh, and the mix is best listened to LOUD.

Edited by - apl4eris on 01/03/2005 13:52:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000