Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  13:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  07:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was looking through this thread for a tracklist of Floop's (did you ever post that?) and noticed I never did say that I'd stolen the title of my mix CD from Mike. But I'm a title thief with no remorse, so tough tamalies, baby!

I'm craving new music REALLY badly, so I foresee a renaissance of this thread for me.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  07:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
after apl sends hers and we take a month or so to rest, would everyone be up for a round 2?

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  07:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of trying an MP3 swap in a similar format, this one didn't work as well as I'd hoped. We'd maybe take three days to a week and then the next person would share an MP3. But of course feel free to do a round 2 of this.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  09:22:33  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't we do that before, though?

-

I thought it kind of bombed.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  09:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it didn't do so well. I wanna' mess with that idea again, though.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  07:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I'm really liking Floop's for the most part. Might be my new favourite, though I've skipped a lot of you. I just wish I had a track list.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  09:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's the tracklist for my mix.

ps. i've changed the title. now it's called:

"UNDISCUSSED, UNLOVED, NEGLECTED, AND SET ON FIRE"

1. Needle In The Camel's Eye / Brian Eno
2. Teenage Kicks / Undertones
3. 7 and 7 Is / Love
4. Dog Got A Bone / The Beta Band
5. Everyday / Dios
6. Popular Mechanics For Lovers / Beulah
7. Jonathan David / Belle & Sebastian
8. Summer Here Kids / Grandaddy
9. Surfing On A Rocket / Air
10. Cet Air La / France Gall
11. Minas De Cobre / Calexico
12. PANIS ET CIRCENSIS / Os Mutantes
13. Johnny Too Bad / The Slickers
14. Timorous Me / Ted Leo/Pharmacists
15. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue / Bob Dylan
16. I Want You Back / The Jackson 5
17. The Laughing Gnome / David Bowie
18. Ace of Spades / Motörhead
19. Chain Saw / Ramones
20. SAVOY TRUFFLE / The BEATLES
21. These Days / Nico
22. Opus 40 / Mercury Rev
23. French bob dylan cover / some guy

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!

Edited by - floop on 01/05/2005 09:10:55
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  09:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i too really dig Floop's mix - it might be my favorite so far

floop also made obw and i a "secret mix" because his north american and international mix were pretty similar, and i LOVE the secret mix and it totally confused my brother when i played it in his car - but thats probably a very good sign - he loves blink182

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  09:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tracklist, updating favourites now...

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  06:17:15  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I have been away for way too long. Sorry for the absence, things have been hectic and I have been spending a lot of time moding on another board. I have everyones CDs now and I have updated my favs. Jen, I received yours yesterday. Wow, 3 discs. I will get to work on it shortly.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  06:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah! people are updating their favorites! maybe soon we can start real discussion

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  07:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now listening to King of Siam's mix.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  12:15:27  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you got my mix Phil. Hopefully everyone in the States has it by end of today. The rest of ya's gonna be at the mercy of "Par Avion"....those mysterious words.

Lon the Fisherman has wooden legs, but real feet.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:09:56  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did anybody else get my cds yet?

I'm so impatient. I can never wait to give people their gifts at Xmas either.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  09:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I probably won't for another week or two.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  10:42:28  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

Got them yesterday.

-

Three discs is overkill.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  10:45:05  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry.

Just listen to one then.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  11:14:43  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ObfuscateByWill

quote:

Got them yesterday.

-

Three discs is overkill.

After this I'm not sure I care to stick around for the rest of the responses.

I don't know what is inspiring people to treat me this way.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  11:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't take it personally Jen, but I also don't understand the gripe about more than one disc. More time to listen to them all, probably, but hey, you get three times the music. I'm looking forward to getting your discs at any rate and as soon as I finish my Interpol concert, I'm getting right back to King of Siam's.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  12:20:31  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh c'mon..

No one has compared your mixes to three hours of waiting in the dentist's chair yet.

-

I'm certain there's an avalanche of sympathetic posts on the way, anyhoo.

Edited by - ObfuscateByWill on 01/07/2005 12:21:20
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  12:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i personally welcome the extra discs - it will make it harder to absorb, but i feel like you spent a lot of time making them up and that it will reflect the time spent. i can't wait to get them (i don't know why i haven't yet - stupid postal service)

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  13:05:30  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ObfuscateByWill

quote:

Oh c'mon..

No one has compared your mixes to three hours of waiting in the dentist's chair yet.

-

I'm certain there's an avalanche of sympathetic posts on the way, anyhoo.

What the hell? Why all the animosity? I don't care if you don't like my cds, it's the outright uncalled-for rudeness that blows my mind.

This was supposed to be a friendly thing. This is just ridiculous, though.

For everyone else, I hope that you can find some enjoyment in them. I'm done.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  13:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is everything ok jen? i don't think scott was going for animosity - he was saying (i believe) that his mix was compared to the dentist's chair, not yours.

can't we all just get along?

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  14:58:20  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't mean to come off as unfriendly and/or rude.

Apologies apl.

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  15:00:24  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wait..

This started because I forgot to add a smiley.

-

Three discs is overkill.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  17:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now I feel bad for taking so long getting back to this. I just don't have a computer anymore, so I have to kind of plan it in advance. I've had a chance to listen to the Broken Face, floop, and ObfuscateByWill discs, so here are a few thoughts:

First of all, I think this exchange is one of the coolest ideas I've ever tagged along on - the quality of the discs everyone has made is well beyond what I can honestly say I expected. Praise to all involved - perhaps liking Frank Black is really a sign of good taste? Also, I won't quite have the finest of comments to offer because I once again don't have the discs with me to refer to, but I've listened to these ones enough that I have a bit of feedback. Anyway...

OBW, I got that one first. Solid songs, somehow it seems this disc had the most natural continuity for me. Highlights were Liquid Liquid and Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - I've never actually met anyone in person who has heard of either band, so just seeing their names listed put a smile on my face. Gang of Four was a band I'd heard was good, but I don't think I'd ever actually swallowed a song before. The one you chose quite impressed me, definitely a favourite from this disc. Most of my familiarity with The Pop Group comes from having heard the Minutemen sing their praises, and hearing this song I can definitely hear some of what the Minutemen wound up doing. Good picks on the Neu! and Devo songs. I've never heard of Rhys Chatham before, but if I can somehow dig up one more tune that catches my ear I can see a cash register displaying his name to me at some point. Tough to pick out any songs that didn't really interest me. My only complaint is the song with Liz Phair singing on it, that one just makes my elbows itch. Not in a good way, either.

Next I received the Broken Face mix. I saw the Bad Plus back in September and promised myself I'd buy one of their CDs if I could find any, but that kind of fluttered out my ears until hearing your disc. I've already since gone out and purchased one. Ditto for the Animal Collective, although I'd never heard of them before. I guess that tells you I liked it. The Fatlip song is tough to listen to - I try to make myself like it, but it won't happen. I'm always tickled to hear Os Mutantes, in fact I almost put the same song on my disc. I haven't really heard much of the Shins, but between this song and another somebody else used on their mix I think it's time I did. I've never liked Belle and Sebastian, but I tolerate this song because the story behind it is fine human comedy to any baseball fan with a sense of humour. I'm quite high on David Byrne, but while I enjoy this song I don't think I'd have been heartbroken without it. That instrumental right after the Animal Collective tune is cool too. I always thought I might not like Sufjan Stevens, and the song you chose probably confirmed my suspicion.

floop, when I was in junior high school any mix with Ace of Spades on it would automatically make me go, "Hey, sweet," but that was a while back. Fortunately, you adorned your disc with enough good stuff that I'll still go, "Hey, sweet." Once again, I got all warm inside at seeing Os Mutantes making the cut. Calexico too, I'm actually somehow surprised that they haven't been on a lot of these discs. Beta Band's always been a bit hit or miss for me, but I like this song. It doesn't feel as long as the timer says it runs. The Belle and Sebastian song drives me mental, sorry. I think it might be the fella's voice. I like the Beulah song, probably the best of what little I've heard from them. OH! I'd never heard of the Slickers before either, but that's a pretty solid little tune. The Undertones song is a little too predictable to make me quiver, but ya can't win 'em all. I'm not sure I've heard the Bowie song before, but it makes me giggle - I'm a sucker for goofy little voices. Some Ramones songs are grating to me, but you chose one of my favourites. There was also a song called 7 & 7 Is, and I'd like to ask if that's a really popular song, or if there's some tale to the title, because there's a band in my hometown by that name. Actually, they got their gear stolen awhile back and there was a fundraiser for them just last night. But seeing the title, I thought, "Hey, I've seen them!" before realizing that was the title. So, is there a story behind it, or a reference I'm just not cultured enough to catch or something? A two sevens something or other? calekj beihoawie

Well, that's all I can come up with right now. Sorry, I've tried to offer some feedback of at least a bit of substance for everyone. Again, it's made more difficult not having a functioning computer, but if I've missed anybody, let me know. I know I don't have the apl4eris discs yet, so I'll definitely have to make at least one more stop in this topic, but if there's someone else that's slipped through my (or my mailman's) fingers I'd like to know.

Nothing is ever something.

Edited by - Crispy Water on 01/07/2005 17:44:51
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  17:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no animosity at all. i think obfuscate (like myself) is just agreeing with what you yourself said when this swap started.

i present, evidence of cult_of_frank's pro- 1-disc stance:

quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I'm definitely with Floop. One disc, condensed, easy to listen to. I would never give someone I was introducing to indie two discs worth of material as I'd surely lose them. Though I would pack one disc completely. Since you guys are not in need of an intro to indie, you might not even see a full disc, but a more listenable 15 or something...

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  17:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for the record, i'll take what i can get. i guess being in the other mixer too (like obfuscate) it gets kind of overwhelming having a zillion discs.

crispy THANKS so much for the feedback. really apprecaite it

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  19:16:33  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I said I was done going over this, but this is truly bizarre. I gave plenty of chances for you guys to say you objected to more than 1 disc. Nobody made an objection. I also don't remember anybody ever raising a stink over Psychic Twin's 2 discs. Just for purposes of clarity here, he had 49 songs, I had 54.

On the side, I'm not sure what you meant floop about Obfuscate just agreeing with something I myself stated at the beginning of this, I don't see anything relevant to this from me.

Basically, I went to a lot of trouble to make sure this was gonna be ok with you guys, and to make what I hoped would be a nice sort of holiday gift. And now that I made it and it's done, I'm getting this stick up the butt response (that's how it reads anyway, whatever the intent). I just wanted you all to hopefully enjoy some FREE music, and I really don't expect a review from anyone that's got a problem with it. That's cool, cause it's all turned into the damn tomato joke now anyway.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  19:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
On the side, I'm not sure what you meant floop about Obfuscate just agreeing with something I myself stated at the beginning of this, I don't see anything relevant to this from me.

i was just saying that i thought obfuscate was agreeing with deans comments from way earier (which i quoted) about trying to keep it to one disc. not anything you said.

i think you're getting a bit too defensive about this. i'm looking forward to the discs!

when the idea of three discs came up i said i thought it might be overkill but that it wouldn't hurt. that's all i said. i don't think that's terribly harsh is it?

again, looking forward to the discs and FREE music is always good.

Edited by - floop on 01/07/2005 19:27:52
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  00:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My comments were about my own philosophy on it (and you may have noticed you got one disc from me). I never had a problem with Psychic Twin's Twin Set, I don't have a problem with Apl's Quadpack. If you research me again, you'll see that in answer to early queries on multiple discs, my answer was something to the effect of making the mix you'd make and if that was one of four discs, so be it. That was and is my opinion. For myself, _I_ wouldn't, but we're getting mixes from a bunch of friends and unless someone were to sign up on the list and not send out a disc on their turn, I'd be happy with whatever, even a half-full CD, so long as thought was put into it.

This thing has blown up into a big deal and way out of proportion, and I think when we all wake up Sat morning, we'll see that. Perhaps we have a case of post-holiday syndrome? Which is actually something I made up, but damn it if I can't vouch for it anyway.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  02:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i blame post-holiday syndrome on my recent grumpiness.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  07:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm still blaming post-election depression syndrome on mine

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  14:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey jen, i got your mixes, and i know you spoke of some vinyl transfers - was that because you owned the album on vinyl and not on CD or because they aren't available on CD? just curious incase i want to pick up anything on the mixes.

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000