The Fifth Beatle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  11:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I was reading the Spin article on the Pixies and they have a picture of the Purple Tape cassete. On the cassette, in small print you can see that while the music is credited soley to Black Francis, the lyrics are credited to all four Pixies as well as "Jean Walsh". I am assuming this is Franks current ex? This is notable only because I always assumed Frank made up all of the lyrics and the Pixies collaberated on the music. Seems like it's the other way around.

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  18:14:56  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Jean is the former Mrs. Black. Frank for the most part did make up all the lyrics to the songs. It was a bit of an exception in the recording of the Purple Tape though. I believe I read an interview somewhere where it was explained that, while in the studio, the rest of the group helped Frank out with a couple of sticky spots. Frank was finishing the lyrics while recording the album and needed a bit of help. He got it, and the rest of the group got co-writing credit. I don't know if that's how Jean did it, too. But I believe Frank explains in Spin how she would poke her head in the room while he was writing and give a thumbs up every now and then. She may have helped him on a line or two at the same time. So your initial assumption about the music/lyric writing collaborations was accurate, as far as I know. Am I right?
Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  00:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've seen a specific credit to Jean & the rest of the band on Levitate Me, but I might be wrong (maybe on the UK SR/COP LP)

Forget the cults I got me a whole church!
Go to Top of Page

whoreatthedoor
> Teenager of the Year <

Spain
2873 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  09:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah: Francis, Lovering, Walsh. I've seen it somewhere. But in those www.bmi.com database Levitate Me is credited to Santiago, Thompson and Lovering. Confusing.

"¿Qué estás buscando? ¿Te gustaría multiplicarte por diez, por cien?, ¿Estás buscando adeptos? ¡Busca ceros entonces!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000