Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Massif Centrale. The best song in the world ever..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  04:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just cannot stop listening to this song I love everything about it. The intro is wonderful and I think that Franks voice is at its peak on this recording. I love the way he shouts 'yeah' and 'oooh' in the chorus, and the way he holds out the words 'sign', 'for' and 'away'. It's the small things like that, that really do it fo me. The slightly distorted bass sounds amazing and there is some really great drumming on it too. I can't think of another song I'd rather listen to.

Ade

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  04:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I'm having two days off work to recover from the Isle of Wight festival (Bowie-still awesome), I shall give 'Massif' a listen as I warm up with a large vodka and cranberry juice (I know it's a bit early, but it's more fun than press-ups); although I think it will have to do a lot of work to replace 'Czar' and 'Dog Gone' at the top of my tree.

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  09:13:42  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, I agree. Most repeatable song over ten times. I always have to listen to it twice, sometimes with sometimes without air drums and/or air bass (cause its so fuckin THICK!) And the break downs, the sign of a love behavoir, everything in this song is GENIUS. And I thought that Robert Onion was Frank's last word on the 'rocker'.

I'm thinking of taking a chance myself, and gravitating towards the hills of central France, just so I can sing this song there!

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  09:23:47  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I LOOOOOOOOVE Massif Centrale!!! The bass line rocks my world!!!!"THAT'S THE SIIIIIGN OF HER LOVE BEHAVIOR,THAT'S THE SIGN THAT I'M LOOKING FOR"!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  10:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite off of SMYT! I don't know about best ever though.

"Signatures are for sissies"
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  13:35:07  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatchetman

I can't think of another song I'd rather listen to.

Ade

Los Angeles?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  13:52:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
massif centrale doesn't work for me
I'm sorry
give me Robert Onion or Los Angeles as the big rockers

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  14:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah - Massif Centrale - one of the best FB songs ever - even if there is a typo in the title

How does lemur fur, reflect the sea? Someone should do tests
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  03:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup, love the bit when he goes really high in the begining "sleep in garden's where i play my loot" (i belive is the line... but that's only from memory now (correct me if im wrong)... that always gets me goin'
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  05:33:07  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

I LOOOOOOOOVE Massif Centrale!!! The bass line rocks my world!!!!"THAT'S THE SIIIIIGN OF HER LOVE BEHAVIOR,THAT'S THE SIGN THAT I'M LOOKING FOR"!!!!!

I love the bass line too (Viva, McDave!) and the lyrics are absolutely beautiful. It's a perfect song.

I'm just a shot away from you...
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  07:21:34  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Massif Central just has more soul than Los Angeles. Not that LA isn't amazing, too. But Massif just has a great alchemy of elements, more than the sum of its rockin' parts. The break-downs, the looping, simply resolving bass line, the METAL-LIKE intro with the snare hits, and the mood of LOOOOOVE BEHAAAVOIR....

damn I could talk about this song all day but in text form it just loses something!!

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

psychogroupie
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That song has got to be my absolute favourite FB song (at the mo, theres just something special about it

My cats breath smells of catfood
Go to Top of Page

yosoyunpistolero
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  13:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the thing wrote that there's a typo in Massif Centrale. what is it?

that song fuckin rocks! I love the falsetto beginning, in fact i wish there was more of that falsetto in the song. even my friend who's a metal head thought that part was cool. and, like you've all been saying, "that's the sound, of her love behaviour" and the "YEAH" and the "OOOH" exclamations on there, like frank is shivering at the sign of that love behaviour, that's all awesome! and i like the despair in his voice when he pleading, "please, don't run away, oh no..."

lukas el pistolero

"Who's in charge here?"
"Ain't you?"
--Apocalypse Now
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  15:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yosoyunpistolero

the thing wrote that there's a typo in Massif Centrale. what is it?

that song fuckin rocks! I love the falsetto beginning, in fact i wish there was more of that falsetto in the song. even my friend who's a metal head thought that part was cool. and, like you've all been saying, "that's the sound, of her love behaviour" and the "YEAH" and the "OOOH" exclamations on there, like frank is shivering at the sign of that love behaviour, that's all awesome! and i like the despair in his voice when he pleading, "please, don't run away, oh no..."

lukas el pistolero

"Who's in charge here?"
"Ain't you?"
--Apocalypse Now

During the falsetto part, I love the way that he drops down just to sing 'where I' and again in the second verse to sing 'she'.
Bliss

Ade
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  01:14:17  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yosoy: the French mountain is actually called "Massif Central" (no "e").

YEAH! My 2nd fave song from SMYT, and in my personal FB top 5.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

whoreatthedoor
> Teenager of the Year <

Spain
2873 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  10:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatchetman
During the falsetto part, I love the way that he drops down just to sing 'where I' and again in the second verse to sing 'she'.
Bliss

Ade

I love those part too. There's only a man who can sing it: The man.
Well, perhaps there are others..., but... I can't!!!

"Join the Cult of the whore at the door / And You'll find no answers, but real fun"
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  11:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like MC a good bit, but the best, no. I used to think it was St. Francias but now I am tourn between St. F and Constant Sorrow Man. I love that song. Just gets better and better.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  15:15:46  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Amazing song, but the best ever? That might be stretching it a bit.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

Pitseleh
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  07:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah its an awesome tune even by franks standards but his best?
so many songs, too many riffs......how the hell do you go about working out franks best ever song to date? i dont know. ti get a headache just working out my favourite album. its impossible to me.

its one i'm definately dying to hear played live. the chances?

- "i'm one happy prick"

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  07:05:40  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you don't get the point. All you have to do is creating a new thread entitled "San Antonio, TX: The best song in the world ever" or "Los Angeles:..." or "Superabound:...", and everyone who agreed with Hatchetman here will agree with you on your thread. Massif Centrale is the best song ever, just like San Antonio TX is the best song ever.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Pitseleh
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  07:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay. if you talking to me Denis, i get the point now. was just following on from the posts before me like in a converstaion.
i wasnt doubting hatchetmans thread.
to the original post: Massif is a must listen to track on the way to work during a 5 track journey. (San Antonio up there too).

- "please pardon me for these my wrongs"

Edited by - Pitseleh on 06/18/2004 07:50:48
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  17:31:19  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What if I started a thread called "Dance War: best song ever"?

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  21:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coolest thing for me about this song is that big rock verse toward the beginning ("monsieurs at nine...") and how it stops and doesn't happen again for most of the song until you've almost forgotten about it. And when does finally repeat toward the end, it takes you by surprise and kinda smacks you in the face.

Edited by - Jason on 06/18/2004 21:57:24
Go to Top of Page

enjoydave
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  13:37:59  Show Profile  Click to see enjoydave's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
did you know that massif central is the place in france where ufo have been more seen in the whole france ?

maybe that's why Frank Black like it so much
Go to Top of Page

whoreatthedoor
> Teenager of the Year <

Spain
2873 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  04:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enjoydave

did you know that massif central is the place in france where ufo have been more seen in the whole france ?

maybe that's why Frank Black like it so much

Hey!!! Here in Mallorca we've got the best place in Europe for this kind of things. Maybe Frank should come here for a holiday. I've lend him my bed.

P.S.: E-mail me if you want to come, Frank and I'll go in a hurry to buy some sgetti's.

"Join the Cult of the whore at the door / And You'll find no answers, but real fun"

Edited by - whoreatthedoor on 06/21/2004 04:37:25
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  12:42:31  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
>The coolest thing for me about this song is that big rock verse toward the beginning ("monsieurs at nine...") and how it stops and doesn't happen again for most of the song until you've almost forgotten about it. And when does finally repeat toward the end, it takes you by surprise and kinda smacks you in the face.

ABSOLUTELY. That's one of the reasons I think this is the epitome of Frank's music -- since the whole "bits of other songs within the song" thing is one of his greatest strengths, and this song just does it in grade-A form. Incredible. When it kicks in that second time, its just a revelation. Its almost like -- where can the song go now? they finished the verse. Oh yeah -- INTO THE ROCK STRATOSPHERE!

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  01:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Yes, Yes!
Go to Top of Page

darkoutsider
= Cult of Ray =

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  12:45:22  Show Profile  Visit darkoutsider's Homepage  Click to see darkoutsider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not one to pick favorites. But MC is one of Franks best works in a long time. The structure of the song is genius. It just completely changes on you. The intro is this nice rocker with BeeGees type of vocals. As soon as you get comfortable with that, bam the song kicks you in the ass and changes!! The solo though is the highlight of the song for me. Amazing guitar work (probably because I'm a guitarist). By far one of his best.

In my defense... I'm just sayin'
Go to Top of Page

Otherfellers
- FB Fan -

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  01:44:07  Show Profile  Click to see Otherfellers's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a friend I can't convert, he's already caught with Dylan the way I am with Frank, but he does love two FB songs, Superabound and Massif Centrale. So at least he has some taste.

That's the sign of her love behaviour
That's the sign I'm looking for

These two lines make the song for me, it's all amazing, but I adore these two lines.
(I did have different wording, but I wanted that to line up like that and changed it)

They pile, they pile, they pile the salad bar
Go to Top of Page

swfc69
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  04:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuck me you lot are dudes of the highest order! Massif is totally amazing and it scares my girlfriend!

An abstract mouse
Go to Top of Page

Minky303
- FB Fan -

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  08:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Minky303's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got called out by my dentist for dancing to Massif Centrale during my root canal

It sounds damn good on nitrous, I recommend it :)
Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  17:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fuckin loving this song lately

been playing it non stop on my guitar

ive sort of been wanting to pursue a new relationship so i can relate to this

his lyric writing is second to none

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  18:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been waiting for someone to revive this thread. I am free now ....
Go to Top of Page

FlexMentallo
- FB Fan -

Argentina
12 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  04:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Best Song Ever.
From the formerly best album (Bluefinger is the best now)
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  15:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to it again on 93-03, really appreciated it more. I always liked The little bassy 'hills of France' bit!

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

-whitenoisemaker-
- FB Fan -

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  04:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Massif Centrale is truly my favorite song of all time. It's one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Your mouth into mine is very comparable to this song.

bd
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000