-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Massif Centrale. The best song in the world ever..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hatchetman Posted - 06/14/2004 : 04:15:17
I just cannot stop listening to this song I love everything about it. The intro is wonderful and I think that Franks voice is at its peak on this recording. I love the way he shouts 'yeah' and 'oooh' in the chorus, and the way he holds out the words 'sign', 'for' and 'away'. It's the small things like that, that really do it fo me. The slightly distorted bass sounds amazing and there is some really great drumming on it too. I can't think of another song I'd rather listen to.

Ade
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brank_Flack Posted - 02/10/2010 : 17:06:33
In what way does he sabatage himself out of curiosity?
freedom rocker Posted - 02/10/2010 : 16:38:36
used to be my fave on album, now i skip it. He saboutages himself in a way that wears on me (on this song) he does that alot and usually it works and its kind of his trademark, but it just doesnt work for me on this one.

the blues isn't an art-form, it's a product-- not unlike computer chips and tampons.
--dead milkmen
danjersey Posted - 01/24/2010 : 22:51:32
I'm reading, Solo Faces- By James Salter

I wonder if this book influenced Frank in regards to

"so I left the world below"
awestruck Posted - 10/14/2007 : 12:03:32
I will not say that it is the best,
but it is definitely close:)

btw...welcome to the forum whitenoisemaker

It's not you I don't like
fbc Posted - 10/14/2007 : 07:59:26
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I think it's the bass line.

True. They both have one.
debaserrr Posted - 10/13/2007 : 13:22:17
its like a reversed masturbatory song. I recently got the christmass album, i think i like a lot of his songs better with him just playing acoustic by himself. this one is cool with the sorta ambient feel. although the bass part is classic! blue finger kicks ASS

"The arc of triumph!"
coastline Posted - 10/13/2007 : 07:21:32
I think it's the bass line.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
fbc Posted - 10/13/2007 : 06:46:13
i think it's that same chord sequence thingy we had with another song [/subconcious]
coastline Posted - 10/13/2007 : 06:40:49
Welcome to the forum, whitenoisemaker. Someone else who's Canadian told me a few months ago that she thought Threshold Apprehension was like Massif Centrale -- except on nukes.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
-whitenoisemaker- Posted - 10/13/2007 : 04:48:19
Massif Centrale is truly my favorite song of all time. It's one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Your mouth into mine is very comparable to this song.

bd
Carl Posted - 09/13/2007 : 15:57:55
Listening to it again on 93-03, really appreciated it more. I always liked The little bassy 'hills of France' bit!

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
FlexMentallo Posted - 09/13/2007 : 04:37:40
The Best Song Ever.
From the formerly best album (Bluefinger is the best now)
mrgrieves1971 Posted - 09/12/2007 : 18:32:18
I've been waiting for someone to revive this thread. I am free now ....
gotmeamovie Posted - 09/12/2007 : 17:23:01
fuckin loving this song lately

been playing it non stop on my guitar

ive sort of been wanting to pursue a new relationship so i can relate to this

his lyric writing is second to none

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
Minky303 Posted - 07/04/2004 : 08:34:20
I got called out by my dentist for dancing to Massif Centrale during my root canal

It sounds damn good on nitrous, I recommend it :)
swfc69 Posted - 06/30/2004 : 04:28:12
Fuck me you lot are dudes of the highest order! Massif is totally amazing and it scares my girlfriend!

An abstract mouse
Otherfellers Posted - 06/25/2004 : 01:44:07
I have a friend I can't convert, he's already caught with Dylan the way I am with Frank, but he does love two FB songs, Superabound and Massif Centrale. So at least he has some taste.

That's the sign of her love behaviour
That's the sign I'm looking for

These two lines make the song for me, it's all amazing, but I adore these two lines.
(I did have different wording, but I wanted that to line up like that and changed it)

They pile, they pile, they pile the salad bar
darkoutsider Posted - 06/24/2004 : 12:45:22
I'm not one to pick favorites. But MC is one of Franks best works in a long time. The structure of the song is genius. It just completely changes on you. The intro is this nice rocker with BeeGees type of vocals. As soon as you get comfortable with that, bam the song kicks you in the ass and changes!! The solo though is the highlight of the song for me. Amazing guitar work (probably because I'm a guitarist). By far one of his best.

In my defense... I'm just sayin'
Foucaults Dog Posted - 06/24/2004 : 01:52:13
Yes, Yes, Yes!
langdonboom Posted - 06/23/2004 : 12:42:31
>The coolest thing for me about this song is that big rock verse toward the beginning ("monsieurs at nine...") and how it stops and doesn't happen again for most of the song until you've almost forgotten about it. And when does finally repeat toward the end, it takes you by surprise and kinda smacks you in the face.

ABSOLUTELY. That's one of the reasons I think this is the epitome of Frank's music -- since the whole "bits of other songs within the song" thing is one of his greatest strengths, and this song just does it in grade-A form. Incredible. When it kicks in that second time, its just a revelation. Its almost like -- where can the song go now? they finished the verse. Oh yeah -- INTO THE ROCK STRATOSPHERE!

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST
whoreatthedoor Posted - 06/20/2004 : 04:11:14
quote:
Originally posted by enjoydave

did you know that massif central is the place in france where ufo have been more seen in the whole france ?

maybe that's why Frank Black like it so much

Hey!!! Here in Mallorca we've got the best place in Europe for this kind of things. Maybe Frank should come here for a holiday. I've lend him my bed.

P.S.: E-mail me if you want to come, Frank and I'll go in a hurry to buy some sgetti's.

"Join the Cult of the whore at the door / And You'll find no answers, but real fun"
enjoydave Posted - 06/19/2004 : 13:37:59
did you know that massif central is the place in france where ufo have been more seen in the whole france ?

maybe that's why Frank Black like it so much
Jason Posted - 06/18/2004 : 21:56:26
The coolest thing for me about this song is that big rock verse toward the beginning ("monsieurs at nine...") and how it stops and doesn't happen again for most of the song until you've almost forgotten about it. And when does finally repeat toward the end, it takes you by surprise and kinda smacks you in the face.
VoVat Posted - 06/18/2004 : 17:31:19
What if I started a thread called "Dance War: best song ever"?

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Pitseleh Posted - 06/18/2004 : 07:49:42
okay. if you talking to me Denis, i get the point now. was just following on from the posts before me like in a converstaion.
i wasnt doubting hatchetmans thread.
to the original post: Massif is a must listen to track on the way to work during a 5 track journey. (San Antonio up there too).

- "please pardon me for these my wrongs"
vilainde Posted - 06/18/2004 : 07:05:40
I think you don't get the point. All you have to do is creating a new thread entitled "San Antonio, TX: The best song in the world ever" or "Los Angeles:..." or "Superabound:...", and everyone who agreed with Hatchetman here will agree with you on your thread. Massif Centrale is the best song ever, just like San Antonio TX is the best song ever.

Denis
Pitseleh Posted - 06/18/2004 : 07:00:13
yeah its an awesome tune even by franks standards but his best?
so many songs, too many riffs......how the hell do you go about working out franks best ever song to date? i dont know. ti get a headache just working out my favourite album. its impossible to me.

its one i'm definately dying to hear played live. the chances?

- "i'm one happy prick"

VoVat Posted - 06/16/2004 : 15:15:46
Amazing song, but the best ever? That might be stretching it a bit.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Adam Posted - 06/16/2004 : 11:11:20
I like MC a good bit, but the best, no. I used to think it was St. Francias but now I am tourn between St. F and Constant Sorrow Man. I love that song. Just gets better and better.
whoreatthedoor Posted - 06/16/2004 : 10:33:19
quote:
Originally posted by Hatchetman
During the falsetto part, I love the way that he drops down just to sing 'where I' and again in the second verse to sing 'she'.
Bliss

Ade

I love those part too. There's only a man who can sing it: The man.
Well, perhaps there are others..., but... I can't!!!

"Join the Cult of the whore at the door / And You'll find no answers, but real fun"
vilainde Posted - 06/16/2004 : 01:14:17
yosoy: the French mountain is actually called "Massif Central" (no "e").

YEAH! My 2nd fave song from SMYT, and in my personal FB top 5.

Denis
Hatchetman Posted - 06/15/2004 : 15:34:40
quote:
Originally posted by yosoyunpistolero

the thing wrote that there's a typo in Massif Centrale. what is it?

that song fuckin rocks! I love the falsetto beginning, in fact i wish there was more of that falsetto in the song. even my friend who's a metal head thought that part was cool. and, like you've all been saying, "that's the sound, of her love behaviour" and the "YEAH" and the "OOOH" exclamations on there, like frank is shivering at the sign of that love behaviour, that's all awesome! and i like the despair in his voice when he pleading, "please, don't run away, oh no..."

lukas el pistolero

"Who's in charge here?"
"Ain't you?"
--Apocalypse Now

During the falsetto part, I love the way that he drops down just to sing 'where I' and again in the second verse to sing 'she'.
Bliss

Ade
yosoyunpistolero Posted - 06/15/2004 : 13:19:47
the thing wrote that there's a typo in Massif Centrale. what is it?

that song fuckin rocks! I love the falsetto beginning, in fact i wish there was more of that falsetto in the song. even my friend who's a metal head thought that part was cool. and, like you've all been saying, "that's the sound, of her love behaviour" and the "YEAH" and the "OOOH" exclamations on there, like frank is shivering at the sign of that love behaviour, that's all awesome! and i like the despair in his voice when he pleading, "please, don't run away, oh no..."

lukas el pistolero

"Who's in charge here?"
"Ain't you?"
--Apocalypse Now
psychogroupie Posted - 06/15/2004 : 10:24:39
That song has got to be my absolute favourite FB song (at the mo, theres just something special about it

My cats breath smells of catfood
langdonboom Posted - 06/15/2004 : 07:21:34
Massif Central just has more soul than Los Angeles. Not that LA isn't amazing, too. But Massif just has a great alchemy of elements, more than the sum of its rockin' parts. The break-downs, the looping, simply resolving bass line, the METAL-LIKE intro with the snare hits, and the mood of LOOOOOVE BEHAAAVOIR....

damn I could talk about this song all day but in text form it just loses something!!

Alienation confers freedom. Obscurity will keep you pure. Pray that you won’t be discovered young, so that you won’t be tempted to sell out early, or won’t be seduced by celebrity.

--THE PATH OF THE ARTIST

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000