Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 TEENAGER OF THE YEAR - IT'S 10 LONG YEARS !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  00:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with all this pixies-enthusiasm, we should not forget that 10 years ago one of the finest albums in music history ever has been published...

we should celebrate - by telling personal stories about how this album affected our lives or just what is there to remember.

i still know when i bought it at my local record dealer, i awaited it for a long time. he said TOTY reminds him of bossanova. i was stunned by the cover, started listening to the first and last songs, was positively surprised by their punkish attitude, and bought it right away.
at home, i was surprised again, since the rest of the album had more pop than rock in it. the overall feeling was, well, this is weird, outer space, but still good...but it took me weeks 'til good changed to extraordinary brilliant.
"sir rockaby" made my buy the book with the story/play "rockaby" by beckett.
i never had or have MTV, so a friend taped me the headache-video. also, over months, he also got me the LA-video, a short, but brilliant concert snip and two pixies-videos on this tape. i borrowed it to another friend, and his brother erased the tape with a james bond movie :-(((( - arrgh !
i always was afraid that "..and it will take me 4 years to make the next one" in "pie in the sky" would mean he will take 4 long years to make the next album !
later on, "speedy marie" blew me away. from time to time i was thinking he is making fun of the "mystic women figures" he has created with the pixies (velouria, ana).
the best listen i had at my diploma party - it was in a pub, we brought the CD along, and they had it to repeat over and over...
today, "headache", "freedom rock", "pong", "thalassocracy" and "two reelers" are my all-time favourites. i could not live without these songs. "abstract plain" may describes my view on the world best - i don't know why and i could not explain it, it is just a feel.

TOTY has been a good friend all over the time.

I joined the cult of this mouse / and now I occidentally tic-tac

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  00:43:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hooray for TOTY!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  06:49:58  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bought TOTY as a first year uni student. The single, Headache, was a classic Frank Black piece of pop. It had as many strong songs, if not more, than Frank's first solo album. There were half a dozen or so songs which were pure filler (i.e. Pong) which I programmed my CD player to skip. But the idea was to put out a double album, something the man wanted to do as far back as Tromphe Le Monde, so I guess you gotta get the numbers up somehow. So many ideas and cool songs on one disc. This cemented Frank Black as the prolific songwriting genius he is. To bad he couldn't follow it up on Cult of Ray...but then we got the Catholics...Nice one!
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  09:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got 2 copies from the pre-mp3 explosion days outta the sheer concern that i would literally wear/damage the copy i had based on the amount of play/travel it got. i still have my backup copy stored in my computer-CD/disc case.

the album proved pop/rock can be done right...it dont have to float in a self obsessed art-rock atmosphere or dumb itself down to the "i wanna rock/lets party" croud. 10 years later it still gets major play in my player.

Go to Top of Page

FrequencyOfGlow
- FB Fan -

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  13:33:17  Show Profile  Visit FrequencyOfGlow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOTY started my long tradition of picking up the new Frank record at the store the second it opens on a Tuesday morning, taking the day off of work, unplugging the phone, getting super high and getting lost in my first listen.

It was the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college. My friend Tim had just turned me on to the Pixies and they completely took over my world. TOTY was the first album I was hearing fresh with the rest of the world (or at least the part of the world that matters)

I will always get chills hearing the intro to Whatever Happened To Pong? Always!

I think the winter is going to be a real whirligig
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  13:38:22  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A relative ordered the TOTY vinyl off Netsounds and gave it to me as a Christmas gift. That was sweet to open. Played great too, very clean, pristine vinyl. It still is (I listen to my FB vinyl approximately once every 3 months, and I am sure to clean it with lots of D4 every time).

My FB vinyl doesn't sound nearly as good. Very scratchy. I was pretty mad at the seller. One question, though: would I have minded as much had I not considered FB better than TOTY?
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  13:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's also 10 years since the NY Rangers won the Stanley Cup, awesome.
Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  14:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought it during spring break when I was an exchange student in the states, and had to wait a whole week to actually play the darn thing.

I remember liking headache, and pong, but not really "getting" the rest of the album. Oh how wrong I was, it now sits at the top of my collection, probably my favourite album of all time

How does lemur fur, reflect the sea? Someone should do tests
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  14:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chip Away Boy

it's also 10 years since the NY Rangers won the Stanley Cup, awesome.

Did you have to bring that up?

I hate NYR, I love ToTY!

"Signatures are for sissies"
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  14:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cream of the Frank Black crop.
I bought it in June (?) of 1994. I saw it in the mall record store, and bought my way over-priced copy there. The best money ever spent on a CD (I also bought "Last Splash" by the Breeders at the same time). That thing played non-stop in my car the rest of that summer, and very frequently still after that. I still associate the summer of '94 with that album. Still my favorite. His best lyrical work, and song-crafting genius.

1. I am a fsh with no i's.
2. You must be wearing Zubaz, 'cause you're daring to be different.
3. I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1228 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  07:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought this two days after release on the day I finished my finals in college. Just before we headed out to drink beers in the sun I insisted we go and listen to it in my mates rooms. So they played draughts while I checked the album out. Stand out track on first run was Abstract Plain. It was a great way to start an afternoon of serious partying although my firnds didnt seem to like it much.
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  12:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My desert island CD.
That's the album that really made me into rock n'roll.
I think if i had it bought in vinyl, i should have buy it four times.
Go to Top of Page

smashmachine
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  13:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teenager is a good album, although I dont share the same enthusiasm many of you do, I still really like it, mostly because of abstract, calistan, and headache. In addition, is it me, ir do other people think that Two Reelers is the shit? I've never seen it discussed, but that song is mind bowling and just puts it into another gear towards the end ( "If all you see . . ."). See in a way, I think the first more tracks are so good on that album that its tough to keep that kind of momentum going, I mean, first time I listened to it, I thought pong and thalassocracy were cool, nice quick songs that rocked, then my car almost took flight when abstract plain came on (especially when the keyboard solo comes on then goes into that build up) and then calistan is just an excellent song, great vocals. But there is so much on that album that some songs sound like filler to me (although I know you guys dont feel that way). But even in those songs I dont like or might skip, theres more going on than most bands or guys could ever hope to achieve.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  00:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smashmachine

In addition, is it me, ir do other people think that Two Reelers is the shit? I've never seen it discussed, but that song is mind bowling and just puts it into another gear towards the end ( "If all you see . . .").

welcome to the club. why do you think i've choosen this as my forum name :-)))

the idea what it is about, the insane but brilliant music, the story it tells and the lyrics it uses - incredibly funny and sad at the same time -, the best ever frank black screaming, and so on and so on and so on,...

join the cult of two reelers !!

I joined the cult of this mouse / and now I occidentally tic-tac
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  00:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOTY...here you have an album that starts out blazing with "whatever/thala"...chilling out to "abstract plain/calistan/spies/speedy/headache" etc...and can actually get away with it. a lotta rocking out to slower tempos until you get a reminder with "hostest" and when the CD is about to flip back over to the disc's first 2 banging tracks it ends with 2 tracks just as banging "bad, wicked/pie in the sky". honestly, though..even when i got it on random it sounds just as good.

be interesting to know, as it usually is, just how an artist goes about figuring what order they want 22 songs to be in.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  15:05:45  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TOTY was my first Frank album. Back in my senior year of college (in late 1999) some guy was selling used CDs at the student union, and I knew of Frank through his association with They Might Be Giants, so I listened to the CD, and decided to buy it. I think "Pie In The Sky" was the song that immediately caught my attention; it was fast, energetic, and fun. I also thought it was cool that one of the titles referenced Pong. Anyway, it was a little while before I actually got around to listening to the album, and it didn't click with me right away. After several more listens, however, I realized how great it is, and it's probably still my favorite Frank album, although Dog in the Sand comes awfully close.

Hmm...if it's been ten years, is Frank now eligible for the title of Teenager of the Decade?

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  08:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i bought TOTY quite late i guess... about '99 and it was the least favourite album (i never got it).... last year i gave it another few whirrles and must admit it is amazing consistant and brilliant... its so quirky and probably one of my favourite albums to date.... "bad wicked world" is one under-rated song... the tempo and chord prog. in the intro is pure genuious...
Go to Top of Page

Washing_Machine
- FB Fan -

Sweden
20 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  08:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Man!
Everybody gotta love "Fiddle Riddle"
Teenager Of The Year is one of heck
good record to drive around to!
We Love It!
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  07:34:12  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought TOTY relatively late...like 2001 or 2002. I was at a Tower Records in Alexandria, VA and was buying that and the Melvins "Electroretard" (I'll give you one guess which album is the finer one!)

Anyway, i was at the checkout counter and ran into Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters. I was like "hey Dave"...and he said hey and kind of looked at what I was buying. He didn't say anything about the Frank album, but he saw the Melvins one and said "whoa, I didn't know they had a new one out..." I think that was about it. But I remember thinking to myself, 'why the hell didn't he mention the Frank Black one? it's not like he wouldn't know who Frank is or something....'

I listened to TOTY once. The first three songs or so really blew me away, but I felt a little lost with the breadth of the album and the sheer number of songs and styles on it. Too much to digest...

After a few solid listens, I was hooked. I probably listened to nothing but TOTY in my car for a month or two. It started driving friends crazy, coz I'd be like "oh man, have you heard this??" and they were like "yeah, like, twice already dude"...what's funny is, a good buddy of mine who never really seemed to get why Frank was so fucking brilliant is now hooked on Cult of Ray, of all albums!

TOTY is the ultimate driving record. And one of the finest rock albums I have ever heard in my existence.

Edited by - PsychicTwin on 06/23/2004 07:35:36
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  07:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOTY is my best friend, along with Pierre. Hello Pierre.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  16:14:36  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful way to celebrate my 500th post, upgrading me from a Dog In The Sand to a Teenager Of The Year. I was 14 when I got it. TOTY was the first I had heard of Frank Black as a solo artist. I was already a hardcore Pixies fan, and I didn't think anything could come close to a Pixies album. TOTY put me in my place. Whatever Happened To Pong (a brilliant choice for an opener) was so good it took me a while to get past the first track, which I'm glad I did. It's hard to pick favorites to the album. It's all too flawless. And now, as far as this forum is concerned, I'm a Teenager Of The Year too!
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  18:43:51  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday, best album in the world! (And happy teenagerdom, prozacrat!)

I got the Hello Club CD before TOTY was released and loved the demos so much that I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I've listened to it at least once every week or so for a decade now. I am a dork and I don't care.
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  04:18:35  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow no kidd'n 10 years... I didn't realize how sophisticated I was at 23. I happened to be in Cambridge, MA one eve. and didn't even know TOTY was being released. As I passed this cool little record store it (Bamthwok!)jumped out at me from behind the glass. It was a moment. I then proceeded to scarf down the most disgusting greasy garlic oiled pizza from Uno's that instantly turned my complexion green....and for the next hour and a half as I made my way back to the south coast I was periodically pulling over to huuurl my brains out. The whole time TOTY is cranking in my car. I'd get back in the car doubled over in pain and exhaustion and was more concerned with checking the CD player so I didn't miss a track. TOTY has since become one of my ALL TIME favorite records!
Go to Top of Page

jbinsparksnv
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  08:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just bought my 2nd copy of ToTY last Thursday. Frank autographed my first copy at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz back in the late 90's. I abused that 1st copy.

This CD is my all time favorite. Can you me hear through the sucking of you quaff-quaff-quaff-quaff-quaff?

In my eyes this cd was designed entirely to perhaps confuse, but moreover to provoke thought thru the use of visuals......it is definetely a mind bending CD.....an addiction of sorts.

Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  09:40:18  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Still one of Frank's best. I remember quite a lot of negative reviews on TOTY after the release. I'd listen to it and be absolutely amazed by songs like Calistan and Speedy Marie. Oh, those journalists were such stupid fools.

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  19:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
22 Tracks. Who does that? Love it.
Go to Top of Page

Nono le petit lutin
- FB Fan -

France
167 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  05:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredible !
I discovered Pixies around 1989 (18 years old) and was stuck to the wall : that was what I expected without knowing I was expecting it (see what I mean ?).
Then, the end ...
Anf BF becomes FB, and the first FB's lp is out ... great !!!!
1994 : I was in a Business School, having fun in parties only in the end when DJ's were playing grunge or indie rock stuff.
And TOTY came out. That was awesome, 22 songs, man ! 22 ! On one single LP ! And nothing to throw away ! Pop, rock, punk, soft, energic, GREAT !
I heard it dozens and dozens of times, and I'll do it again and again.
Definitely my all time favourite lp.
Among all these pearls, "Freedom rock" is the one that personifies FB and the way I feel rock music.

pieinthesky
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  08:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah TOTY is fucking ace

On an empty stage sing out when theres no other way.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Lucas
- FB Fan -

Australia
142 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  05:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only got into Frank Black this year, and bought TOTY three months ago. I have to disagree about filler. Lesser songs, yes, but filler no way. That is the beauty of the album. 22 tracks, no filler.

The best bit: TWO REELERS! IF ALL YOU SEE! IS VIOLENCE!!!! sends a shiver down my spine when he unleashes that voice.

Jesus was a sailor, when we walked upon the water.
Go to Top of Page

GypsyDeath
Zapped Profile

3575 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  07:54:05  Show Profile  Visit GypsyDeath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOTY. By far my favourite. Probably my favourite over, most albums I own, or have ever heard.

The best use of clapping and stamping of feet ever used in any album. heh.

Do you think FB & TCs could do anything up to the same standard?

Just thought I'd throw that in there...
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  14:00:09  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GypsyDeath

TOTY. By far my favourite. Probably my favourite over, most albums I own, or have ever heard.

The best use of clapping and stamping of feet ever used in any album. heh.

Do you think FB & TCs could do anything up to the same standard?

for a start, i'd like to complain about you stealing my line, i think you'll find i said "the best use of clapping and stamping of feet" in london at the weekend.

secondly i'm just surprised to see something by you on topic! lol!

and i think fb and the catholics could perhaps do something as good, i think bld and show me your tears come close.

And it's hard to be a human being, and it's harder as anything else, and I'm lonesome when you're around, and I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself, and I miss you when you're around.
Go to Top of Page

GypsyDeath
Zapped Profile

3575 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  08:32:56  Show Profile  Visit GypsyDeath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumblebeeboy2
for a start, i'd like to complain about you stealing my line, i think you'll find i said "the best use of clapping and stamping of feet" in london at the weekend.

secondly i'm just surprised to see something by you on topic! lol!

and i think fb and the catholics could perhaps do something as good, i think bld and show me your tears come close.

And it's hard to be a human being, and it's harder as anything else, and I'm lonesome when you're around, and I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself, and I miss you when you're around.

Haha, Im sorry bumble, I actually had to write out that post twice, and in the first time , i had put 'as bumble said...', but musta forgot about it in the second one. sorry!!

Yes, I do actually read the other on topic forums, I just rarely feel the need to post anything.

I agree they are probably the closest too TOTY. Close...but no cigar.

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  14:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
W'oh! can't believe of aall the threads, this one i missed.

yey for TOTY. My music collection is that much better with it's existance. Some of the best songs ever recorded to one album, and that includes everything i've ever heard.

Don't think the Catholics could ever come near to this.

Frank is longevity. What more does an artist want.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  14:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frank black conspiracy

W'oh! can't believe of aall the threads, this one i missed.

What about the thread wishing everyone a happy Halloween 2002?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  14:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't find it!

Plus it's totally irrelevant to me and why i'm here. Like "have a nice weekend" threads.
Go to Top of Page

funtime_frank
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  15:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was a major pixies fan and wanted to try some of Frank's Solo stuff so i took the [i thought at the time] plunge and got TOTY. One of the best albums ever.

It's [still] educational!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000