Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  01:25:05  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1486965/05122004/sonic_youth.jhtml

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  01:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, one more reason for me to hate Sonic Youth.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  06:32:48  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i honestly find it hard to believe that Kim Gordon has never owned a Pixies record.
Kim Deal fucking sings on 'Little Trouble Girl' from Washing Machine for gods sake..

You Know You Want To!
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  09:21:07  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The Pixies were, to me, a pop-punk band".

I agree - That's why I've always liked Bossanova and Trompe wwAaaAAAAayyYYy more than Surfa Rosa and Doolittle.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  09:29:59  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kim: The Pixies! I saw their videos on TV but I've never heard a Pixies record in my life.

Thurston Moore: I don't know Surfer Rosa at all. I know it's a classic. I shouldn't say this – but when the Pixies were around, I was not much of an enthusiast. I was into more far-out things. The Pixies to me were a pop-punk band. They were collegiate in a way. I remember when Nirvana was name-checking The Pixies all the time. I was like "You're joking." But they weren't, because they were buying bootlegs of Pixies concerts on the road. I was like, "Are you guys nuts?" [Laughs]

what a bunch of lying, talentless twats.

I am my only god, ha ha ha ha ha ha
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  11:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sonic Youth are way, way over-rated.

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  11:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no Sonic Youth fan, but honestly, I don't believe they're lying about not knowing much about the Pixies. Why would they? They carved a niche for themselves with a big cult following long before Frank did. Do you think they've been pilfering material or ideas from Frank and Kim? The idea that almost everything since 1987 derived from the Pixies is more than a little retarded.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  11:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard a Sonic Youth album in my life.

Just quit a cult / going through withdrawal
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  11:50:26  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone was saying that, BLT.
I've not read many Sonic Youth interviews and whatnot, and I'm not exactly a big fan, but I do think they are a little pretentious and mildly overrated.
I did think there was just a tiny hint of jealousy in the "I remember when Nirvana was name-checking The Pixies all the time. I was like "You're joking".". I don't know, maybe that's just the way it read to me.

I wanna go to the moon. I wanna do this duet with Morrissey.....
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  11:55:29  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to invite someone to sing on your record, you'd have to know what they sound like.
sure, kim g & co could have been solely listening to the breeders, but yeah, i just think they totally made that up.

i'm not a fan of sonic youth's music, but i always respected them cause they've been round for so long and are pretty fucking good, but this all sounds, as misleadhteworld said, like they're jealous...which seems really bizarre.

You Know You Want To!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  12:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

I don't think anyone was saying that, BLT.
I've not read many Sonic Youth interviews and whatnot, and I'm not exactly a big fan, but I do think they are a little pretentious and mildly overrated.
I did think there was just a tiny hint of jealousy in the "I remember when Nirvana was name-checking The Pixies all the time. I was like "You're joking".". I don't know, maybe that's just the way it read to me.

I definitely agree that they are a little pretentious and mildy overrated. You could be right about the jealousy, too.

It's not like I give a crap about Thurston Moore's opinions, anyway. The whole Sonic Youth/NYC trip eludes me (as does the Velvet Underground).
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  13:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I find to be funny about this is how Sonic Youth used to be so supportive of/enthusiastic about Nirvana and Pavement... two bands that borrowed heavily from the Pixies. (I'm a fan of those bands, so don't piece me...)

Part of me thinks SY's comments are tongue-in-cheek.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  13:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nirvana and Pavement are also two bands that were vocal from the beginning about their appreciation for Sonic Youth so SY's support of them might have a little to do with that. I don't think the Pixies ever paid them much regard (other than Kim Deal, later on) or ever played with them. Even before reading this, I would have guessed that the Pixies music wouldn't be the kinda thing Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon would listen to. And I wouldn't say jealousy factors in anywhere. Sonic Youth are a very successful, iconic band in their own right.

They just happen to suck.

Edited by - Jason on 05/30/2004 13:26:09
Go to Top of Page

Antoinette
- FB Fan -

64 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  13:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB was not exactly dismissive of SY in old Pixies articles, just said a few times that people said SY was dangerous, when they really weren't. I doubt this really stuck in SY's craw, but that would certainly make them less receptive to Pixies efforts.

Kim's a nice, unassuming lady - in Breeders heyday she called Deal sisters "geniuses" - and Thurston's an uptight snob, and you can tell this in their remarks here about Pixies and others. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

After all, Thurston's fave Nirvana album is Bleach, so whaddaya think he values more: music or silly indie dogma?
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  13:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moore and Gordon are well known as thoughtful music zealots, so we played a little "who can it be now?" game with them. We spun discs without showing them the covers, and they guessed who the artist was. It inspired them to consider the link between Led Zeppelin and Joni Mitchell, the sophistication of Missy Elliot's sound, and the reason why they never listened to the Pixies.

The Pixies – "Tony's Theme" – Surfer Rosa

Thurston: "Toni's Thing"? What's she saying? Oh, "Toni's Theme."

Kim: Is this some L.A. punk band? I don't know.

Thurston: It's contemporary. Ok, is it the Kills?

Kim: I've never heard the Kills.

VH1: It's the Pixies.

Kim: The Pixies! I saw their videos on TV but I've never heard a Pixies record in my life.

Thurston Moore: I don't know Surfer Rosa at all. I know it's a classic. I shouldn't say this – but when the Pixies were around, I was not much of an enthusiast. I was into more far-out things. The Pixies to me were a pop-punk band. They were collegiate in a way. I remember when Nirvana was name-checking The Pixies all the time. I was like "You're joking." But they weren't, because they were buying bootlegs of Pixies concerts on the road. I was like, "Are you guys nuts?" [Laughs]

---

First of all, Sonic Youth, though pretentious, are an amazing band.

Second of all, it does seem strange that they would say those things for a few reasons. The term pop-punk, (though it has been around since punk itself has been around), didn't become commonplace until bands like (Sonic Youth prodigy) Nirvana and Green Day became popular (1991 and 1994 respectively). The Pixies were on the verge of disbanding by then and hardly deserving of the title as much as Sonic Youth are themselves. It makes the statement "Punk rock has become so commercial...", that much more ironic, since Sonic Youth is just as much responsible for the proliferation of pop-punk, and the commercialization of punk as say Nirvana, Green Day, and arguably the Pixies. It seems that Thurston and Gordon conveniently displace their memories of the Pixies' Francis in the interview, due to the fact that Thurston Moore himself name checks Black Francis in the 1991 documentary The Year Punk Broke. "This is the last show of our tour. Two week tour with Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Nirvana, some Gumball action, some Dinosaur (Jr.) action, some Black Francis action, some Ramones action, etc, etc, not discounting(?) Iggy Pop and Agnostic Front." - Thurston Moore, 1991. Perhaps they conveniently "never heard a Pixies record in..." their lives when Black Francis himself played, (presumably Pixies' songs), with Sonic Youth on August 25, 1991 in Hasselt, Belgium, a couple of years before Frank Black ever released a solo album.

Edited by - Visiting Sasquatch on 05/30/2004 13:32:55
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  13:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FIrst of all Sonic Youth blows for the most part, secondly their obviously jealous about the pixies new found fame...Also that makes alot of sense when funking idiot guy from S.Y says i dont know surfer rosa or any pixies toons but i dont like them their not any good. Hes ignorant and nirvana for the record was a far better band then those washed up losers. Honestly my friend who was a S.Y. fan and i stress WAS, tried to get me into them once but their just too untalented for my tastes, their music is irratating.
Go to Top of Page

fudd
= Cult of Ray =

664 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  13:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antoinette
After all, Thurston's fave Nirvana album is Bleach, so whaddaya think he values more: music or silly indie dogma?

Silly indie dogma isn't the only reason to like Bleach. Some of us like raw, loud music. Lots of bands are best on their first records, like Talking Heads or Violent Femmes. They tend to sing and play as hard as they can on the first record. Some people say it's because they're still hungry, or whatever. Bleach is quite a reasonable choice for a favorite Nirvana record.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  13:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right Fudd, some people like Loud music with constant screaming guitars. I do too depending on the song. Music can sound different for different people so saying they think a band sucks is always personal opinion and not fact which is what i meant above. I never liked bleach because i felt the songs never went anywhere..unlike Utero or especialy nevermind..songs like louge act, drain you, rape me, territorial pissings which is just kinda catchy. Thats what i consider good music, music that is either catchy, goes somewhere or melodic, or all of the above. Thats just my opinion anyway.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  14:50:53  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY BADMOUTHED THE PIXIES, BURN THEM! BURN THEM!

Fucking fanboys. Sonic Youth owns you.

Boycott cults and t's
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  15:22:48  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now now El Barto.

It's not surprising people jump at this (on a FrnckBlck forum and all). But then, no-one has really over-reacted (except 'The Champ' I guess....sorry).

Sonic Youth are nice. Songs are a bit lengthy sometimes, but I'll let that slide.

I wanna go to the moon. I wanna do this duet with Morrissey.....
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  16:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow.. I didn't know that S.Y. cared so much about what other people thought, such as their adament belief they were the "it" band. Well although I thought people behind their band's music would be much cooler, oh well. The good thing is I am glad the at the Pixies don't get involved in these stupid popularity contest/pissing matches. They have way better albums/songs too!

Sonic Youth have had a couple of great albumns.. Day Dream Nation and Goo... I've seen them in concert a couple of times and enjoyed the show. I would rank Goo in my top 10 fave albumns. Their music is cool and they have done some influencial/pioneering things. But this article just makes the music a little less cool. I like a band better if I think it would be cool to hang out and have a beer with them...right now I can appriciate the music still but these people seem very shallow and probably would be total buzzkills.

Since Sonic Youth was listening and commenting about other albums, I thought I would return the favor...my first listening expereince of Sonic Youth in was '86 or so, when I was still in middle school...when starting out with new groups I would start out with the earliest album I could find. Basically becasue there were not alt rock publications videos or anything at a time, my best friend and I just would take turn randomly buying albums in the small alt rock section at our local record store. I can't remember which album it was but is one of their earliest... they Kim Gordon kept saying..."Neeeeeexxxxxxxt...Seeeeeeeexxxx.....Neeeeeeexxxxxxtttt....Seeeexxxxxx...... Neeeeeexxxxxtttt" over and over for what seemed like 10 or 15 minutes. It was like being at bad art instillation or around a drunk person surring their words and possessing no short term memory.

We started laughing so hard my stomach hurt, it was crazy. It became This was the only tape I have ever returned for a non technical reason Although there was an artistic quality to it it was like they were trying way to hard to sound cool it ended up sounding stupid. So next time Sonic Youth slams on someone else...I think they should compare it to that art track. They only have a right to criticize if it passes the "Neeeexxxttt....Seeeexxxx" test.

Honestly the only musicians it appears that they really respect are Sonic Youth and the Flaming Lips. Good for them. They are pretentious egomaniacs that have musical talent. Personally, I just think it is weird they have to feel like they have to rip on everyone else to make themselves feel better. I think it is much cooler to give people props than cut down other musicans. It's their loss they don't listen to the Pixies because they're missing out on a great thing! "Neexxxxxt.....Seeeeexxxxx."

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 05/30/2004 16:52:06
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  22:46:13  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems to me Sonic Youth didn't really badmouth the Pixies in this article... just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  22:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Missy Elliot > Pixies? Rubbish. And SY IS overrated.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  01:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to like SY!
Now I know I wonīt be able to see them as I did before!
Their music itīs good, but Like persons I think they are so disapointing! How can they DARE to talk like that about The Pixies?
They are free to just donīt like them, but to ignore them!?
I donīt believe that they didnīt listened Surfer Rosa,who didnīt? they are just jealous!

rita.r
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  02:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

It seems to me Sonic Youth didn't really badmouth the Pixies in this article... just my 2 cents.

I agree. I just don't see the insult - maybe they actually weren't familiar with the Pixies.
Also, they're talking about events 15 years ago... does it matter anymore?
Also, does it matter if someone were to not like the Pixies? I know lots of people who don't like the band, and they're still my friends. Its quite nice in some ways. People are entitled to different opinions, after all...

"Everywhere I go I want to travel by Maglev"
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  06:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
El Barto's actually right, I hate Sonic Youth -- not really because they're derivative (and they are, Can and Amon Duul II were a lot better at droning rock noise long before SY ever hit the scene), but simply because I don't think they're a good band -- but if they want to hate on the Pixies, c'mon. Let them. Who gives two and a half shits?

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  07:36:40  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesM

El Barto's actually right, I hate Sonic Youth -- not really because they're derivative (and they are, Can and Amon Duul II were a lot better at droning rock noise long before SY ever hit the scene), but simply because I don't think they're a good band -- but if they want to hate on the Pixies, c'mon. Let them. Who gives two and a half shits?

-Jimmy M.

to me it seemed like they were trying to be cool... "oh yeah, we're not really into them, not really heard anything by them" kind of bullshit. unless they have been living in a cave or are so far up their own arses... i don't normally care too much if a band badmouths the pixies, i just think sonic youth are shit anyway and it gives me another chance to repeat that view in a public forum. shit.

I am my only god, ha ha ha ha ha ha
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  13:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fudd

quote:
Originally posted by Antoinette

Silly indie dogma isn't the only reason to like Bleach. Some of us like raw, loud music. Lots of bands are best on their first records, like Talking Heads or Violent Femmes. They tend to sing and play as hard as they can on the first record. Some people say it's because they're still hungry, or whatever. Bleach is quite a reasonable choice for a favorite Nirvana record.

In no way is Bleach the best Nirvana record (probably becuase there is no such thing as 'best' in music).

But seriously, come on people, get real. Let them say what they want, it doesn't stop them from being a good band in their own right. People get too upset with bands when they comment on others. Let them be. It's just their opinion.

The Pixies were great/are great and we know that. It's enough for me!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  13:30:45  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bleach is my second favorite Nirvana album after In Utero. It's just opinions. If they think that Bleach is the best, then so be it. Oh fucking no! They don't listen to the Pixies. Run for the hills.

"Freedom is a state of mind and the condition and position of your ass. Free your mind and your ass will follow." - Funkadelic
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  13:33:02  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To me, the problem isn't simply that they don't like the Pixies as WHY they said they didn't like the Pixies. Saying that they aren't "far out" enough seems rather dismissive, and putting more importance on how unusual something is than how GOOD it is. Of course, as Cheeseman pointed out, it WAS 15 years ago, back when the members of Sonic Youth were only in their seventies or so, so they're allowed to have made some decisions for silly reasons.

Okay, now that the requisite "Sonic Youth is ancient" joke is out of the way, I'm going to say that I'm not that familiar with the band, but I do kind of get the impression that they care more about being weird than anything else. This is basically just a stereotype, and possibly an inaccurate one, but it would sort of explain Thurston's comments on the Pixies.

Cattle in Korea / They can really moo.
Go to Top of Page

Boseph
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  15:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all: Sonic Youth is a fantastic band. One of the greatest of all time.

Second: What the fuck is the big deal? So they're not very familular with the Pixies. Whatever. Did they at any point say "the Pixies suck"? No. Thurston just said AT THE TIME he wasn't a big fan. Which leads me to believe he no longer has anything against them.

And keep in mind, they were played Tony's Theme. A fun song, but not one of the Pixies finest moments, and definately not the kind of thing Sonic Youth would dig.

All in all, people have different tastes. The Pixies may simply not be Thurstons kind of thing. It doesn't mean he doesn't have respect for them. I doubt Frank listens to Sonic Youth too often. What's the difference?

And to say that "they're just jealous" is so god damn stupid for SO many reasons. THINK BEFORE YOU POST!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  15:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

sloy
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  16:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree too I THINK SY could have opinion

they do music since 20 years I think they know a lot of thing about music and influence...

sloy
Go to Top of Page

sliemm
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  00:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just smacks of sour grapes as the years wear on, the album sales tail off and SY's street-o-meter registers less and less with the kids. Sad old gits. Everything they've done since Dirty is turgid artwank anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  05:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they're being a little bit sarcastic. Sonic Youth have a lot of amazing music. There's an old Pixies interview were Black says he thinks SY would make great film music. As has been mentioned, maybe they've only associated with Deal because of a preference for The Breeders, or something. But Im sure they've played dates with the Pixies before...?

Edited by - Carl on 06/01/2004 05:23:48
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  11:04:39  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First of all, Sonic Youth are an awesome band.
A tad pretentious? Sometimes. A little too artsy for their own good? Perhaps. But I personally consider them one of my favorite bands (some albums are way better than others...)

Basically, who CARES if they don't dig the Pixies? I think its a huge flaw in their taste, but tastes vary greatly. Besides, the song the played for them was Tony's Theme. I'm a diehard Pixies fan, and I DISKLIKE Tony's Theme. It's a sucky song, and I don't think it represents ANY part of what makes the Pixies one of the most amazing bands ever.

Also, Sonic Youth have been around as early as '81 or '82... it's not that surprising that they wouldn't be into the Pixies like a younger band (say, NIRVANA) was. Many other people who haven't heard the Pixies too much don't really know what's so great about them, why should Thurston or Kim be an exception.

If you don't like Sonic Youth, fair enough! I'm not going to dictate what your taste should be...but if you're slagging 'em because they aren't familiar/supportive of the Pixies, then that is just stupid.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000