-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Sonic Youth talks about the Pixies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Holiday Son Posted - 05/30/2004 : 01:25:05
http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1486965/05122004/sonic_youth.jhtml
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Triakel Posted - 09/20/2007 : 17:58:44
I love Sonic Youth. I saw them on the "Dirty" tour in 93 w/Royal Trux, and it was fantastic. One of the best shows I've seen. I've enjoyed several albums since, especially "Sonic Nurse" and "Rather Ripped."

That said, they are what I'd call a New York Band. Very focused on their own scene, very impressed with their own idioms. I'm about Daisy Girl's age, and I identified with her account of trolling record stores for paltry traces of alternative records in the '80s. There was so much crap on the radio and if you wanted to find something better ... it was really the "underground" then. SY was extreme at the time, but nowhere near musical, and almost laughable. It was like listening to a Yoko Ono sound experiment. "Yeah, this is better than Dokken, but do I like it?"

I agree with those who have posted that the article isn't a manifesto. It's just what they said at the time, and they've been interviewed a billion times. But, if taken seriously, the responses were kind of predictable and strangely political, really:

1) Too cool to enthuse over a sort-of rival, who was at the time more tuneful (and commercial and therefore not to be completely trusted) and less credible at NYC Kool Klubs than they were at the time. I'm taking a leap here, but I doubt Frank and Thurston hung out in the same crowds in high school (Thurston - artsy stoners/Frank - what, physics and band nerds?) However, Kim and Kim would have been blowing smoke rings in the toilets and chillin'.

2) Cautiously complimentary (as hard-to-win-over-but-likeable elder statesmen) of whatever white band is cool at the moment, which in 2004, was still the Strokes.

3) Complimentary of the cool rap artist at the moment. Missy Elliot and Outkast (2004), Chuck D (1991).

4) Sincerely, but derisively sympathetic to a "star" that they can deconstruct -- Karen Carpenter/Maria Carey.

I still think Thurston's "Wish Fulfillment" is one of the most haunting art-rock songs ever. But I hung out with the physics and band kids. They had more original things to say.
OLDMANOTY Posted - 08/14/2007 : 08:59:56
Don't know much Sonic Youth admittedley, but from what I've heard their 'weirdness' is a bit too studied and pretentious for my liking. Pixies music was 'weird' in many ways I suppose, but it always came across natural and organic and not 'hey, look at us, we're so weird!'
Behind the Mule Posted - 08/14/2007 : 06:25:35
For my ears any song over 6 minutes needs to make every measure count. Some of my favorites though are 'Euro Trash Girl' by Cracker, 'I Would Hurt a Fly' and 'Stop the Show' by Built to Spill.
billgoodman Posted - 08/14/2007 : 02:59:46
Rather Ripped is great, a true pop masterpiece.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Jason Posted - 08/13/2007 : 16:06:37
I personally think the length of "Blast Off" is what makes it good.

I became a born again Sonic Youth fan last Spring when I found Daydream Nation on vinyl for $20. I'd heard it before, but never could get through it all. I bought it because I was in an indie rock sorta mood and I figured if I didn't want to keep it I could easily ebay it and get my money back (and more).

Well, I loved it. I call it The Exile on Main Street Effect. It's a double album that practically bored me into a coma when I heard it as one long CD, but on four sides of vinyl, its virtues hit me like an out of control 18-wheeler. Trout Mask Replica is another one in this group.

I've since bought their newest, Rather Ripped (a great album. no 7 minute songs. all interesting melodies and pretty guitar. It almost doesn't sound like the same band who made Daydream Nation. They sound like a more driving Galaxie 500 almost. To me, at least.). I bought the Goo 4xLP box set (which isn't great, but not bad, either. I'm glad I bought it). And I bought Murray Street (which I haven't listened to yet.)
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 08/12/2007 : 10:17:49
Paranoid Android is 6:23.

Surf Epic is 10:11.

there's a lot more 7 minute songs i can listen to the whole way thru now that i think about it:
Expect the Worst/'Cos She's a Tourist - The Dears, Dinner Bells - Wolf Parade, Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers have Wings - Sunset Rubdown, This is Just a Modern Rock Song - Belle and Sebastian, Hallowed be Thy Name - Iron Maiden, Melody of a Fallen Tree - Windsor for the Derby (8 minutes), and He's Simple He's Dumb He's the Pilot - Grandaddy, which is 8 and a half minutes long. Oh and some of those 10 minutes instrumental Yo La Tengo songs.

I think the longest song I ever listened to all the way through was Pree Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye by Neutral Milk Hotel. What a waste of time!

It's 1969, okay.
tisasawath Posted - 08/12/2007 : 00:18:51
how long is Surf Epic?

imo the length of a song doesn't matter as long as it isn't just long-winded

i could be really into some songs despite their length (like Metallica's Orion and To Live Is To Die, Pink Floyd's Echoes from Live At Pompeii..)

i'm really liking Superstar again. i can't decide whose rendition i like better, the SY's or the Carpenters'

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT !! !
billgoodman Posted - 08/11/2007 : 15:26:48
Blast Off is also too long if you ask me.

I like some 7 minutes songs...can't think of any though
Is Paranoid Android 7 minutes?

But indeed, 90 seconds that's great!

mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 08/11/2007 : 12:12:43
there are a couple songs i like but i just can't get into any song that's 7 minutes long by anyone. Well except Blast Off. I think 90 seconds is the best length for a song.

Do I look like a motherfucking role model?
billgoodman Posted - 08/10/2007 : 12:09:54
I'm gonna see Sonic Youth next week.
SY is indeed THE band of elitists if you know what I mean.
But I did give them a chance, so I would know a couple of their songs for the concert.
And I have to say I like them a lot. But what's the deal with the 7 minute songs,
there not epic, just long. Noise all over the place...I don't understand it. Pixies maybe
poppunk or something, they did know how to keep it fresh.

tisasawath Posted - 08/10/2007 : 09:41:53
hm.. maybe check some more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iva_Y9W3hJ0
(that guitar solo is definitely -not- kinda boring)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7cKUNw9zI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diaJ62OO9z8

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT !! !
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 08/10/2007 : 08:48:34
I agree with you debaserrr. Sonic Youth have always been one of those bands that I always hear how good they are and then I finally listened to them and I find it kinda boring.

Do I look like a motherfucking role model?
debaserrr Posted - 08/09/2007 : 20:26:16
i dont like sonic youth. to me there just excessive, jimi, and zep and any of those kinda crap is excessive too... so i probobly dont know what im saying.
the beatles where good, pixies are good (and they wernt punk!), i really cant stand bands that just stand around playing guitar as if to say "where a rock band, we play these instraments like where gods" ughhh (im really full of myself) i dont blame sonic youth for not paying attention to pixies, there really just different situations... but anyway...

its like 1 0 clock where i am and probobly will regret posting this whewn everyone replies callling me know nothing idiot

"The arc of triumph!"
Ziggy Posted - 07/31/2007 : 13:42:03
Yeah, it's odd how it happens.

Jason Posted - 07/31/2007 : 13:33:10
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Cool, one more reason for me to hate Sonic Youth.

I take this back. I really like them now. Whee...
cassandra is Posted - 07/24/2007 : 00:14:53
ah come one Joey, don't be so rude with SY, once you liked them too...

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 07/23/2007 : 14:31:33
At least Kurt Cobain had his saving grace...

This monkey gone to heaven...

I'm kidding!

Sonic Youss must be jealous of the Pixies because the Pixies were able to write real pop songs while Shelley and co. only managed to rip-of Neu in a pathetic and snobbish New Yorkan way.

J'les aime pas du tout du tout!!!

++++
Levitated Posted - 07/19/2007 : 14:51:00
quote:
Originally posted by Frankfan

Thurston: I remember when Nirvana was name-checking The Pixies all the time. I was like "You're joking." But they weren't, because they were buying bootlegs of Pixies concerts on the road. I was like, "Are you guys nuts?" [Laughs]

I wonder what bootlegs he bought
IceCream Posted - 07/17/2007 : 23:37:16
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

"The Pixies were, to me, a pop-punk band".

I agree - That's why I've always liked Bossanova and Trompe wwAaaAAAAayyYYy more than Surfa Rosa and Doolittle.

I just saw this and got a little embarrassed. Though I still prefer the last two Pixies albums to the first two, I spelled "way" incorrectly.

And even though Bossanova and Trompe are a bit more diverse in song selection, it's still pop punk to me. So I was wrong.
Brank_Flack Posted - 07/12/2006 : 14:53:13
i like both bands (im seeing sonic youth in august)
if they dont like the pixies thats fine, thats just their crazy opinion, at least sonic youth likes nirvana :D
Frankfan Posted - 07/11/2006 : 14:23:29
I don't really like sonic youth as much anymore. they're only good cd is "Daydream Nation" and even then it get old after a couple listens. I don't care that much about them not liking the pixies but they don't assholish quotes like this one here:

Thurston: I remember when Nirvana was name-checking The Pixies all the time. I was like "You're joking." But they weren't, because they were buying bootlegs of Pixies concerts on the road. I was like, "Are you guys nuts?" [Laughs]

I wanna live in los angeles,
not the one in los angeles.
PsychicTwin Posted - 04/27/2005 : 14:50:47
yeah, I read some of their posts...
"The Pixies were to the 80's what the Strokes are today"

Fuckin' RETARD. I could challenge that on so many levels but have neither the time nor inclination right now.....
Ronzilla Posted - 04/25/2005 : 08:04:08
Man, those Sonic Youth fans sure don't like Pixies...

Think about world peace...

While you are doing that, I will be over here stealing your stuff.
Levitated Posted - 04/23/2005 : 20:53:59
:(
PsychicTwin Posted - 04/23/2005 : 11:44:25
WHAT?? WHY???
Fuck.
The New Bolero Posted - 04/23/2005 : 09:06:05
The plot thickens!
Sn@ke Posted - 04/23/2005 : 02:53:33

Steve Shelley posted this in the SY forum:

sorry but....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sonic youth will not be appearing june 13 + 14 with the pixies at jones beach in nyc and merriweather post in maryland.

we apologize for any problems this change of schedule may cause.

thanks to everyone who came to our northeast dates last week. we hope to see you all sometime soon.

ss

http://www.sonicyouth.com/bboard/fanforum/viewtopic.asp?TopicID=1724148&topic=sy
Carl Posted - 04/22/2005 : 16:34:27
It seems like cruel fate, but Sonic Youth are not really for general consumption! And the Pixies have enough 'nice', catchy stuff for, if you will, the 'mainstream ear'!
KimStanleyRobinson Posted - 04/22/2005 : 13:12:49
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-04/22.shtml#sonic
PixiesDeal Posted - 04/22/2005 : 12:47:54
Exactly!

This will be the first time ever that the pixies and sonic youth are doing 2 shows together. I love both bands and wished i lived in that area b/c these bands are the most influential bands of our time. They revolutionized the music scene. They should do more shows together to solidify they are here to stay.

and according to pitchforkmedia.com Sonic Youth is OPENING up for the Pixies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When people ask me what band I'm in and I say The Pixies, they say, 'Oh, it's an all-girl group, right?' I guess the name is pretty wimpy"-Kim Deal
Levitated Posted - 04/20/2005 : 06:28:01
It's like a dream come true
Carl Posted - 04/20/2005 : 01:42:24
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

From sonicyouth.com:

"Sonic Youth are back in the USA for a couple of shows with the Pixies: June 13 at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland, and June 14 at Jones Beach on Long Island, NY."

Wow, Pixies AND SY!! Magic!

Carlos
"Join up, conform and wear a different uniform!"
fbc Posted - 04/19/2005 : 16:28:15
What, like a Battle of the Bands?

Come on the Ps!
Jason Posted - 04/19/2005 : 16:20:08
From sonicyouth.com:

"Sonic Youth are back in the USA for a couple of shows with the Pixies: June 13 at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland, and June 14 at Jones Beach on Long Island, NY."
BLT Posted - 04/19/2005 : 11:53:35
This thread has the wrong title. It should be changed to "Pixies Fans talk about Sonic Youth".

"Join the Cult of Ronald and Russell Mael"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000