Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  09:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The article metions a band press conference before the show. Sounds interesting, does anyone know more about what was covered?--the NME piece doesn't say too much about it.

http://www.nme.com/news/108377.htm
COACHELLA KICKS OFF

PIXIES, RADIOHEAD, KRAFTWERK, and DESERT SESSIONS kicked off CALIFORNIA's COACHELLA festival yesterday (May 1) to a star-studded audience.

Jack Black, Alicia Silverstone, The Mars Volta's singer Cedric Bixler, Neve Campbell and Rosanna Arquette were amongst the celebrities who turned out for the first day of the music event.

Temperatures blazed to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the desert location, 130 miles outside of Los Angeles, but tens of thousands including former Hole guitarist Eric Erlandson, No Doubt bassist Tony Kanal, System of a Down guitarist Daron Malakian, and Nick Zinner of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs braved the heat.

The day's highlight was the Pixies' evening set, which preceded Radiohead's closing performance. The group played for an hour on the main stage to a swelled crowd with a set list featuring the tracks 'Monkey Gone to Heaven', 'Debaser', and 'Here Comes Your Man'.

Earlier that day, the band held a press conference backstage and frontman Frank Black -otherwise known as Black Francis - spoke on why the band decided to reform.

"I made a joke to someone and then the joke got taken kind of serious. Everyone was asking us "When are you going to do the reunion?", so we were like "Well, I guess we should do it if everyone thinks we should do it anyway," he said.

Newly red-haired Brody Dalle took to the stage to perform with the Desert Sessions ensemble which also featured Queens Of The Stone Age singer Josh Homme, Chris Goss, Gene Troutman and Tim Van Hammel of Millionaire.

The festival continues today (May 2) with performances from The Cure, Bright Eyes, The Flaming Lips, The Cooper Temple Clause and Basement Jaxx.

Edited by - The New Bolero on 05/02/2004 09:23:36

FromLookingIntoTheSun
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  10:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a picture:

Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  10:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, what a shot! Thanks Sun.

Edited by - The New Bolero on 05/02/2004 10:37:27
Go to Top of Page

pants
- FB Fan -

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  11:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's awesome
Go to Top of Page

gk128
- FB Fan -

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  11:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that full band picture is terrable. They all look like they got hit by a MACK truck.

My CD List:
www.cd-tracker.com/~gk128
Go to Top of Page

christd1123
- FB Fan -

53 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  11:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i should have gone. im so stupid, stupid, stupid
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  12:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FromLookingIntoTheSun

Here's a picture:

Is Kim wearing a Ted Nugent t-shirt?
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  12:16:05  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been searching for some actual press from this press conference, and so far can't find anything. That is, except for the Sun article already mentioned...

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  16:22:43  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gk128

Wow, that full band picture is terrable. They all look like they got hit by a MACK truck.

What do you expect? Frank, Joey, and Dave are 39, Kim is 43. Plus they all work hard on their various tours/projects/etc... (Especially Frank. Looking at some of the itineraries posted on this forum, he tours like it's going out of style!).

I imagine truck stop living can be very hard on a person's body, although Frank says "...it suits him fine". :)

I'm just happy that they're ALIVE. And still making music. A lot of my musical icons are dead. Enjoy them while you can. Dammit, if they come to Pennsylvania, I'm going to try and see them.

BTW, awesome pictures BLT and LoganZ. The band picture looks like comradery at it's best.

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  17:00:05  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is Charles wearing eyeliner there?

It's getting colder....
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  17:17:45  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

Yes, but he's not dressed in black...

Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  19:26:04  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockmusic84

quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

Yes, but he's not dressed in black...

You know, I noticed he was wearing eyeliner, but I never thought of that reference! I think it's funny he's doing that, I wonder if it's a joke.

He wasn't wearing eyeliner in Minneapolis at the Fine Line, must have been added after a couple of shows...

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page

mnsteelers
- FB Fan -

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  21:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't notice any eye liner at the Spokane show but Frank was sporting some at the 2nd Eugene show. The Eugene show was a lot better. So, I say keep the eyeliner.
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  22:27:20  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THey all look happy in that photo. Awesome.
I still think Kim looks fine.
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  22:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Yen

THey all look happy in that photo. Awesome.
I still think Kim looks fine.

I agree. She's got a bit of a turkey-neck going on in that picture but she's still the coolest thing going. the dandy warhols were right. as for the picture they do look happy--and proud and confidant and relaxed. and cool. they look like they know they're the shit. I'm still looking for more details about what was said during this press conference though.
Go to Top of Page

gk128
- FB Fan -

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  04:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What do you expect? Frank, Joey, and Dave are 39, Kim is 43. Plus they all work hard on their various tours/projects/etc... (Especially Frank. Looking at some of the itineraries posted on this forum, he tours like it's going out of style!).

You know what I mean. Frank doesn't look half bad nor does Joey. Kim and David however... not their best pictures. David need to shave that shit on his face.

My CD List:
www.cd-tracker.com/~gk128
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  08:46:18  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gk128

quote:

You know what I mean. Frank doesn't look half bad nor does Joey. Kim and David however... not their best pictures. David need to shave that shit on his face.

Dave looks better now than he did in the "Gouge" documentary. Joey really hasn't changed, except now he's sans hair.

Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  10:19:19  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hehe, Frank looks like one of the guys in the Name Of The Rose (the film).

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  11:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're all ageing quite well. Wasn't it 'establishe'd that Dave's changed his looks as a means of avoiding recognition? Seems to be working...

"Me and the chickens running in the street"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  11:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had no problem recognizing him, if that's the case.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  11:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he didn't like my screaming "MISSSTERRR LOVERRRRRING!!!" outside the Glass House, then?
Go to Top of Page

madtempest
- FB Fan -

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  11:54:42  Show Profile  Visit madtempest's Homepage  Click to see madtempest's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was TOUGH getting press passes this year, even with band connections... only accredited members of the press were accepted, and even then not everyone got passes.

I think Dave and I need to put some pressure on the band... with all the coverage we give them, they should allow an exclusive pixiesmusic/frankblack.net interview session! :)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  12:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with 'ya Sean, not that it would help me at all. Dave couldn't even get a camera pass for the Vancouver show. We're sorta' like their press agents.

Go to Top of Page

FromLookingIntoTheSun
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  12:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit more from that press conference. Harry Potter?

Star gazing

Those lucky enough to score coveted access to the VIP/press area mingled under the shade of a large complex of Moroccan-style tents and rubbed shoulders with some of the artists and a who's who of young Hollywood, celebrities such as Giovanni Ribisi and Casey Affleck (Cameron Diaz and Kelly Osbourne are also said to be Coachella regulars), whose famous faces regularly grace the pages of the entertainment magazines and supermarket tabloids.

Over in the press tent, the newly reunited Pixies sat down for an informal chat with select members of the press. When one reporter asked the Boston indie rock legends how their current tour, the band's first since they split in 1993, has been going given past complaints from the band about the rigors of touring, frontman Frank Black, aka Black Francis, responded, "Great. I mean, it's always satisfying to be on the stage."

"And every night after the show, we watch 'Harry Potter'," added drummer Dave Lovering. "It's sort of our evening ritual."

Lovering went on to say that he expected this year's Coachella experience to be better than his first.

"Well, I couldn't even get in last year," he explained. "I came with this crazy girl who said she had tickets but we got here and it turned out she didn't have tickets. She got in somehow and I ended up waiting outside listening to music for, like, three hours."

Here's the link to the full piece:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/050304a_coachella

Harry Potter? I wonder if they read that article from The Sun newspaper. Spooky.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  13:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

They're all ageing quite well. Wasn't it 'establishe'd that Dave's changed his looks as a means of avoiding recognition? Seems to be working...

"Me and the chickens running in the street"

Dave doesn't strike me as wanting to not be noticed, but kind of the opposite frankly. especially when he's doing his Magic tours with Frank and the occasional Pixies cover band (yes, he opened for a Pixies cover band).

i've often seen him hanging out at the bar or whatever at shows. (including Glass House, where i saw him next door at the Mexican place with some girl)
Go to Top of Page

FromLookingIntoTheSun
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  13:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this fella doesn't mind linking to his blog (oo-er!)-
http://marc.buzznet.com/user/

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  13:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool pics!

Wonder how many megapixels that webcam is. Sheesh.

Just quit a cult / going through withdrawal
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  16:07:47  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, otehr than how the Pixies look, what was the press conference actually about? Did they announce anything or was it just to get some publicity going? They haven't had as much big press as I thought or hoped they would. No TV appearances yet either.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  18:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Part of the press conference that I could pull out from the Air America coverage:

Journalist: Is it a good time to come back?

FB: Is it a good time to come back? I dunno, we haven't really thought about it.

Journalist: How hard was it for everybody to get together and ...

FB: Oh, real easy, you know? You know, we all met at the same place at the same time. We all stopped at Starbucks before we went there. We actually got together the first time at the Breeders' rehearsal space in an industrial section south of Los Angeles.

Journalist: How many songs have you guys learned?

FB: Have we learned?

Journalist: Yeah.

FB: I don't know, how many? Kim has the master list, I don't know.

Joey: 40, something like that?
Dave: 40, 46?

Journalist: Are you guys going to play any new songs?

FB: New songs? No. We don't know any new songs yet... well, we know one... but it's a secret. <laughter>

Journalist: Why did you guys make this [Coachella] the first festival that you were gonna play?

FB: You know... we're just kind of on-board with the general concept, we don't really pick the shows, really. We just kind of let the actual agents do all that. We just show up and work out our little setlist, that kind of thing, right?

Journalist: I understand you guys didn't always enjoy the touring bit of it, how is it being back on the road?

FB: Well, we just went to Saskatoon... and Regina... and, uh.. Boise. And, uh, like, you know, every night we watch Harry Potter. That's Kim's choice. Kind of our evening little ritual, we all put Harry Potter on and climb in our little bunks together and...

Joey: ... watch Harry Potter
FB: ... watch Harry Potter.

Journalist: Every night?

FB: Every night.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 05/03/2004 18:54:46
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  19:26:08  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aww, that's sweet. Thanks, Dean.

"Join the Cult of Derek/Lest you incur his Tubbycizing wrath"
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  20:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks COF!
I left the vcr on MTV for eight hours last night, hoping to fast forward to a "news" segment on the Coachella show but had no such luck. They kept playing the same two "news" stories--one about a rapper getting his teeth capped with gold and another about rappers that dress up like clowns. I'm not kidding. MTV is much shittier than I thought, and I thought it was pretty lousy to begin with.
"Music" TV scooped by AM radio! Good for Air America.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  22:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problems. You had to know I'd be typing it up when he mentioned Saskatoon as "where they just came from". :)

Last time he was here he wrote the press release for Show Me Your Tears (it was posted on Cooking Vinyl's site), and I think he ended it with, "Brrr... it sure is cold here." and then signed it "Frank Black, Saskatoon, Canada" and that had me smiling ear to ear. I'm such an over-the-top fan it's ridiculous.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  07:38:56  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so is the "new song" comment a joke?
anyone know?
i find it hard to believe that they hung out in the practise space for weeks learning the old songs and didn't once tinker with something new.

whether we'll ever hear it if it exists is a totally different matter.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  07:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect it's FB testing the waters to see what the reaction would be to new Pixies material... that said, no idea if they actually have a new song or not, but given the short time they had to get back up to speed, I can't really see FB saying, "K, guys, here's a new song I wrote, let's take some time and learn it. It's got three parts, the first... "

Well, OK, I can, but...

I don't know!

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  09:36:04  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice pic of Frank live at Coachella (MTV Coachella Review) at: www.mtv.com
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  10:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to the MP3 right now, he says 'we don't have any new songs, we've learned a new song..' - which to me suggests it's a cover to me..

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000