Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

makers888
- FB Fan -

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  23:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does everybody think about the DVD!? I just picked mine up today(sorry, not trying to brag). I'll post my review on Sunday once I've watched it to it's entirety. So far I've been very satisfied..

"This is for the shits for the birds. This is for the birds."

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  02:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its not best of, as such.

Tis however, very good. It'd be worth the money for the live show alone.

"I joined the Cult Of Joey and Iggy/Cos they can hypnotise chickens"
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  21:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunday has come and gone, no review makers888...i'm dissapointed.

keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
Go to Top of Page

makers888
- FB Fan -

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  05:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has come and gone hasn't it. I'm sorry. Just got busy and haven't had the chance to completely finish it. I've seen everything but the 2nd half of Gouge and the complete "on the road" footage. Which reminds me, I had to laugh at Black during the "on the road" footage. He had some crazy Jack Nicholson, in the Shining, hair going. Fucking hilarious. The live footage is great as well. Well, who's going to complain about a professionally shot/ soundboard recording. I've Been Tired and Wild Honey Pie are definately nice treats from that setlist. So far so good. It seems to be put together well. You all will enjoy the title screen as well. I'll try to post more about it later when I get home from work. By that time you'll be watching it yourselves..

"This is for the shits for the birds. This is for the birds."
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  06:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang, did that come out today?

Join the Cult of ... to be continued
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  06:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, Best Buy doesn't have any special deals for the DVD this week.

Join the Cult of ... to be continued
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  06:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they being mailed out this week? I forget.
Go to Top of Page

klikger
= Cult of Ray =

693 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  08:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they will be released tomorrow, not today.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  08:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's released tomorrow, they should be in the mail today, right?

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

beatnik
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  21:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, well let's get down to it on this topic already. I scored my copy earlier today (having a friend working at a record store has its perks sometimes). First of all the most disappointing section of the DVD is...

..the live section. Shocking, yes I know. Not that it's bad, I mean it is great seeing everyone all young and vibrant and banging out their early stuff back in 88. But given that it is 1988, it has its drawbacks. The obvious one being that all the songs (and I use "all" in a very meager way, see next section) are from Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa (and Hey is thrown in the mix too). Quality is good, and it is wonderful to see such an early show, just remember that it obviously leads to a very slanted set list. Not complaining, but I would have preferred a concert from a few years later.

Now back to my other complaint. It is too short!! Yes, I know, any Pixies show can't be long enough. In this case though, I think most people would agree that 15 songs is a bit light. So there is only one song from Doolittle, and nothing from Bossanova and Trompe, and the show is pretty short. Those complaints aside, it is good old fashioned Pixies fun.

The videos are the videos. If you have never scene them before (I had scene a few but not all) you will be thrilled to actually see Pixies videos but might be surprised by how lo-fi, sort of say, they are. To me, that is what is so charming about them thought. Kind of how the Pixies themselves were never a glamorous band. The videos are a treat and will be enjoyed by any true fan. To those semi-fans who aren't familiar with how little of a budget they were working with back then, they will be turned off. Good...
They are low frills, and practically unedited by today's standards (see Frank with his mouth wide open for practically the entire Here Comes vid because he obviously didn't know when the "effects" camera was going to be on him).

I most enjoyed the On the Road and Gouge segments. These segments contain plenty of interviews with the band, live footage, and tons of their peers blowing smoke up their ass, which any huge fan has got to enjoy : ) Nothing like seeing your Gods get worshipped.
It runs quite long and touches on all aspects of the bands production and thought processes behind each album. One minor complaint is that once again their is no live footage of anything from Bossanova or Trompe (I accidentally skipped about 10 minutes that I will go back and watch when I'm done with this, so perhaps there is limited footage). It leads me to believe that perhaps there was some type of copyright problem or something. I mean, I guess it could have been a lot of things but it obviously should have been there. I mean, when they discuss Pilgrim, Surfer, and even Doolittle, they play live footage from those albums. When they discuss Bossanova and Trompe they play, guess what...., more footage from material off the earlier albums. That was definitely disappointing and confusing.
Given how long we have all been waiting for a Pixies DVD though, I guess you just have to let it slide. Overall, I would have to give it a B rating. What is there is great, but it is definitely not a complete piece given the above mentioned exclusions.
But forget about that half glass empty crap and get excited and head out to your local record store and get your copy. You won't be disappointed it. The highlight for me was seeing in-depth interviews with Charles, Joey, and David (where's Kim?). It was really the first time I'd ever scene footage of any of them discussing the Pixies. I'd read plenty of interviews but had never scene footage. That was great. You definitely get your moneys worth. It opens your eyes to a whole other side of the band, that personal side that has always been so well guarded.
Look forward to reading everyone's feedback. Happy viewing! It was worth the wait...
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  02:09:45  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bear in mind, budget wise for the DVD, 4AD could only use certain things - the Gouge documentary would only feature the live footage from the Town and Country Club, as that was the only one the programme makers had the rights to (hence the balance more towards that)...

just so you know :)
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  10:58:19  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just got back from picking mine up from the store and just popped it in to my work pc. I've only watched the intro so far and that kicks ass. I'll report later what I think of it.

Jo, are you the Jo who is thanked on the inner sleeve?

-----------------------
http://www.broszkowski.com
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  12:39:49  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The DVD is available in Puerto Rico and on release date,I can't believe it!!! After searching for it at Borders and Suncoast and not finding it I was beginning to feel dissapointed,but then I headed for Specs Music and BINGO!!!! There they were,2 copies available and one is mine all mine!!! I haven't seen it yet so no comments from me for now.Anyway,I know I won't be dissapointed!!!
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  16:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just popped it in for the first time and am halfway through the live portion right now. And please forgive me, but while I am definitely digging this, one of the things I can't help noticing is: Black Francis has quite a rack. Even way back then.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  16:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolute highlight of the DVD:
Charles managing to break strings on both his guitars, and ends up playing air guitar, kinda strumming his belt, to Ed Is Dead. Very surreal.

Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  19:14:53  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted my review in the "Pixies DVD U.S. Release" post. As I said there, BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

ivebeentired
- FB Fan -

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well after school today i drove myself up to the newbury comics in peabody MA and i picked up the dvd. got home watched all of it. ive already seen the town and country club performance, and music videos, and gouge, but still i just had to watch again. its great quality, much better than all the bootlegs ive gotten off ebay. i love it, ive watched it all twice alomst already. its a great dvd. all i have to say is, since its out and it cant be changed, i hope that the dvd will sell a lot and then 4ad will hopefully make a few more dvds. like maybe a brixton dvd, a dvd with more bossanova and trompe footage and shit, and also a dvd(or several) with the reunion.
anyways, any one who had their doubts about the dvd, i think that you will be pleasantly suprised. i love it. 4ad did a wonderful job, i think "Jo" is the person that posts on this forum who works there or something, but if you do, you did a great job, thank you very much for making this
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  20:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
two of the three stores i went in didn't have it and i had to pay $20 for it - i knew i should've preordered on amazon!

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

olympus_mons
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  21:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Favorite moment: Black Francis nearly knocking the microphone stand over during In Heaven
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  02:48:09  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ahh it was another jo who got the DVD thank you, but I get one in the new Best Of (which is pretty damn WOWWWW!!!!) - there's about four jo's here... at least :)

but what does everyone think of 'On The Road"? I love it when you're seeing them listening to Doolittle for the first time at their hotel... stuff like that... I mean, god, think back 10 years, would you ever have imagined seeing that? too cool...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  07:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I grabbed the DVD last night, and though I got home far too late even to go to sleep and wake-up semi-refreshed this morning, I had to watch PART of the DVD. I watched the On The Road documentary which was pretty amazing and disappointing all at once. See, you get all these clips (like them listening to Doolittle for the first time, their tour bus pulling up to the shores of Great Salt Lake, recording in the studio, Dave proudly displaying the 12-year old's phone number that he scored (hahaha!/ick), Kim revealing her love of the Smurfs & He-man, etc etc etc. The disappointing part was, sadly, that it wasn't longer! It felt like a lot of the clips between songs were like teasers more than anything else, and there HAS to have been more footage than Myles turning on the camera for two seconds and then back off again. I liked to see the live stuff too as we followed their tour, but I'd rather have a higher behind-the-scenes to performing ratio. It's all the intimate moments with the band that are amazing about this section.

That said, well put together and at times jaw dropping as you watch the Pixies make history without even realizing it, I just want more! Which really isn't that big a complaint in the end, I guess, I can't imagine myself asking for less or saying "that was just as much as I wanted to see". Who can ever get enough?

I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of the DVD!

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  08:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the on the road stuff also gave me a major crush on kim deal (again)

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

dave
- FB Fan -

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  08:43:17  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are right on about that, how cute was she, when she has the map out and is showing where they are going up the Italian Coast.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  08:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was the Greek coast, they were headed up to Thessalonica, I think. It was cool seeing them about to go into the longest tunnel in the world, I did that on a bus too (the other direction though) and in Venice on a day off.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3422 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  08:54:15  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

Charles managing to break strings on both his guitars, and ends up playing air guitar, kinda strumming his belt, to Ed Is Dead. Very surreal.

hey mrcheeses,
how'd you get the dvd before UK release date?

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

dave
- FB Fan -

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  08:57:47  Show Profile  Visit dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's right, it was the Greek Coast, my bad, but still the fact remains that the pure joy in Kim's voice was palpable.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  09:42:01  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
4AD,V23 and everybody else who worked putting this DVD together have done an excellent job at it,even the DVD case is great.I watched it last night and can't wait to see it again today.I had only seen a bit of the Alec Eiffel video and had never seen the Debaser one. Those two videos were my first viewing choice after being amazed by the dynamic intro with the band's faces morphing into one another.A big smile covered my face when I saw those early band photos!!!I loved seeing for the first time the complete Town and Country gig,taking notice of each of the band members delivery of this songs that are engraved in the deepest parts of my music loving soul.I'm happy to learn that I had figured out a lot of Joey's guitar parts correctly,but the way he attacks the guitar and the cheap Peavey amplifier is a life changing experience for any aspiring musician.Great to see them having so much fun in Europe during the glorious Doolittle era.And what about the high praise that the respected musicians give to Charles songwriting and Joey's unique and highly influential guitar textures,I can only agree!!!!Seeing Albini and Gil Norton's recollections of the Surfer Rosa and Doolittle Sessions was another highlight of a perfect package for one of the World's Greatest Bands(Bowie,Bono,Radiohead,I AGREE!!!).I'll be waiting for a Brixton Academy and Reunion DVD.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  09:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh ... I like the design and the intros and the menus, although that face morphing crap could have been left on the cutting room floor :)
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  11:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cos I'm a slaaaag!
Actually, it was a review copy! So I was happy as you can imagine. I also got the best of as well, benj. Its pretty ace - nothing new, obviously, but some really good selection, it runs together really nicely.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  14:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm pretty sure the reason they're laying off the bossanova/trompe stuff is because those records were more strained and "difficult" to make than COP/SR/Doolittle - these songs bring back better memories

-brian

Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another awesome moment on the DVD from the "On the Road" section:
(Pixies at the Great Salt Lake, near some old buildings and a rusted train car):
MYLES: "What is this, Charles?"
CHARLES: (looks around for a bit, and thinks)"...A ROCK VIDEO!!!"
GENIUS!!! :)

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3422 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  03:54:34  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Cos I'm a slaaaag!
Actually, it was a review copy! So I was happy as you can imagine. I also got the best of as well, benj. Its pretty ace - nothing new, obviously, but some really good selection, it runs together really nicely.

thought as much.
ordered my copies last night...cd + dvd for £18.98 shipped.
not bad i thought.

slag.

Edited by - benji on 04/29/2004 03:55:14
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  04:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh heh. You coming to the meet on the Saturday Benji?

Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  05:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My DVD was waiting for me, when I got home, last night. I made it throught he show and videos and part of On the Road. The show was great. I know have a new respect for Tony's Theme. What a great version. Except for Allison, there seemed to be this underlying theme that they would not sing durning the videos. And made it to the point where Kim spit out a wad of gum "ON the Road". That was super classy.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3422 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  06:22:34  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh heh. You coming to the meet on the Saturday Benji?

what meetup?

the june 4th one?
if so, can't - family come from NZ and USA that weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  06:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, I think we're still on for first Sat in July as well, down in Brighton. Get in touch with Mel (GypsyDeath), she's organising it. Twould be cool indeed if you came mate, I'd have someone to talk post-rock with!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000