Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  07:08:43  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, go post-rock.
i'm still searching for a cd burner to copy some of the live mogwai i've got to really get you excited if you're interested.

but yeah, have been in contact with mel, and it's all go.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  07:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, see ya there. I'll be able to regale you all with tales of the African savannah...

"I joined the Cult Of Joey and Iggy/Cos they can hypnotise chickens"
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  07:40:17  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I think that in Gouge Charles says that prior to recording the purple tape he played all the songs they had to Gary Smith, all by himself. Could the versions of Broken Face and I'm Amazed that surfaced on some versions of DttP be taken from this informal session?
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  07:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're thinking that the Gary Smith demo's are those that are due to be released on Cooking Vinyl/Spinart around June time. They're releasing a record tentatively pencilled in as 'Black Francis Demos', which is coming with a second CD of rerecorded Pixies tunes with Charles and Two Pale Boys.

"I joined the Cult Of Joey and Iggy/Cos they can hypnotise chickens"
Go to Top of Page

woodworm
- FB Fan -

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  10:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just picked up my DVD today, in the new DVD, hard case

looks cool

i will give my review tomorrow

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  11:58:41  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I, like some others, could only find the DVD at one place in town (well, I had to drive to another city and find it there) and they charged me $21. Oh well. Worth it. I've got my arm in an immobilization brace (curses surgery!!) but it's nice because I keep my new DVD tucked cozily inside it, so I can pull it out and watch it whereever I go.

Go to Top of Page

chick
- FB Fan -

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  16:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are sooooo lucky.The dvd isn't released untill May 4th in Canada.I know I could order it or something,but I guess there's no point now that it is already the 29th .I am very excited to see it.I am already having withdrawls, and I've already seen them twice!!!Anyway, f--k!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2004 :  23:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, chick, it's already out here in Canada. I bought my copy on the 27th. Go get yours!!

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  05:21:09  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

I'll be able to regale you all with tales of the African savannah...

should this make any sense to me?

slag.

Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  11:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't appreciated Joey's guitar playing abilities as much as I do after having seen this DVD. I *Loved* seeing the live show, seeing as I never so much as saw a bootleg of them back in the day, let alone saw them in person. Great stuff. Kudos 4AD.

keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel
Go to Top of Page

woodworm
- FB Fan -

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  11:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the dvd was good.

the concert was interesting.
it didnt blow me away, but its not something i will only watch once.
the videos are simple and enjoyable, id seen most before.
but its good to have them all together, and they are fun to watch
again. the on the road segment is my favorite, most people should love this! the gouge doc is very cool too, frank has no shame! its has some good interviews, and its put together well.
overall id give the DVD a B rating.

i hope there are more releases in the future *_*

Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  17:32:56  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by LoganZ

Does anyone know the artist and song that is playing at about 23:30 in the "On The Road" section? They are upstairs of the Aragon in Chicago... Black is shooting himself up with a Sharpie magicmarker...

It's probably my favorite thing in the whole damn DVD.

Yeah, that's prety funny, too, and almost strangely appropriate of the direction some "alternative" rock bands took.

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  07:03:24  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The artist is Glenn Danzig of the horror rock kings Misfits/Samhain.That song is from his solo era 1st album if I remember correctly.I think that one is called Twist Of Cain.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  07:17:23  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was right,it's the 1st song of his solo debut "Danzig".Excellent album I might add!!! I'm a big fan of the Misfits and Samhain horror punk rock www.lyricsdepot.com/danzig/twist-of-cain.html
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  08:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally trcked down the DVD on Thursday and I must say, overall it was great. I've got the usual complaints about the live segment (date and length). My favorite part is during In Heaven when Frank's swinging his guitar around and knocks the mic stand over. I'd seen the Gouge documentary before and I never liked it but it's much better on DVD as opposed to on the computer screen. The videos were, of course, great. I love that Velouria video--so pointless--and Allison is also great--playing to the completely empty stadium and waiting for the applause at the end. The On The Road part was wonderful despite the short length.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  14:16:04  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh they are out in Canada alrite!
The concert is excellent.
The Doc and Videos are good.
...except you sorta feel weird watching the road video....I mean, I'm not in them, so what do I care....the only thing I like about it is the Festival Concerts footage.
....am I the only one who falls in love (hard) for Kim Deal everytime I see her playing?

Edited by - frank_black_francis on 05/01/2004 14:20:56
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  20:41:06  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friend picked the dvd up for me last night while I was at work- $13.88 at Newbury Comics- I really like the packaging, the case, the cover isn't as ugly up-close. I still can't believe they morphed their faces- I wish there was a way I could erase that from the disc so I never have to see it again.

I hope they put out another one. It could have a show from 1991 or 92, interviews and performances from 120 Minutes and the Dennis Miller Show.
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  08:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know why Kim wasn't interviewed in the documentary?
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  11:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watched the whole thing twice on Friday.

Fav from On the Road: Kim in Italy with the fridge-magnet bottle openers. You just have to see that. It cannot be explained.
Fav from the concert: Charles playing air guitar at the end of Ed is Dead...or maybe "In Heaven"...
Fav video: Velouria. Just strange.
Fav from Gouge: Joey: "Planet of Sound rocked." cause I thought so too at the time...thats why my band covered it...

Somehere also in the road footage - some concert - Charles breaks a string in Debaser...while he's being handed the replacement (stock Tele) Kim Says "Whats the matter...Black?" anyone else catch the attitude in that? Loved it.
Strangely he just starts right back into the beginning of the tune...

"So many words, so many ideas. You can sing about anything."
-Frank Black, 1993
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  12:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kim wasn't available at the time they made that, don't read too much into it.

I heard the "What's the matter, Black." thing. Funny. Thought she was kinda' being cheeky.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  12:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to my local Future shop on Saturday and they said they had 4 copies but weren't allowed to sell them until may 4, the lady said she would get in trouble. By who I ask, by who? I would like to be a "media release-date officer", go around busting rogue record shops who continually stick it to the record companies....yada yada yada...

Why is 'monosyllabic' such a long word?
Go to Top of Page

rockmusic84
= Cult of Ray =

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Visit rockmusic84's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

I went to my local Future shop on Saturday and they said they had 4 copies but weren't allowed to sell them until may 4, the lady said she would get in trouble. By who I ask, by who? I would like to be a "media release-date officer", go around busting rogue record shops who continually stick it to the record companies....yada yada yada...

Why is 'monosyllabic' such a long word?

You can't "yada yada" forum posts! That's like, "yada yada" sex!!!

Join The Cult of U-MASS - IT'S EDUCATIONAL!!!
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  20:32:29  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That "In Heaven" from the live concert would have to be one of the scariest things ive ever seen - Black Francis just standing there swinging his guitar around screaming his lungs out - classic.

Didnt know that that concert was where the actual recordings of In Heaven and Vamos on the "Complete B-sides" came from as well.

3rd Annual Australian Frank Black Countdown August 2003 - all involved parties rank EVERY released FB song from FB self/titled to the present - average ranks are calculated - beer (or suitable substitute) is added (mostly in drinking-game form - ie. rate a song well below its average and you drink a punishing amount), then sit back and enjoy a day of frank black....the only problem is quite often memory of the top songs is somewhat limited the next day
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  20:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fun to have this stuff on dvd...now i can get rid of all the vhs tapes of this stuff i have...
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  00:41:54  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don Eduardo

That "In Heaven" from the live concert would have to be one of the scariest things ive ever seen - Black Francis just standing there swinging his guitar around screaming his lungs out - classic.

my friend is down the front on the DVD - you can see his hand pushing away FB's guitar lead every time it kept hitting him in the face during 'In Heaven'... quite funny!
Go to Top of Page

Kitsunegari
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  02:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

the on the road stuff also gave me a major crush on kim deal (again)

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"

Same here...
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  12:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My copy arrived in the post today from play.com, with a big fucking crack in it!!!

Not happy!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  13:59:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Everything I saw of the dvd today was lovely
what's kind of funny is that there are 4 major screw ups
in franks performaces
2 strings break, a microphone gets knocked down, his guitarstrap gets loose, another string breaks

great stuff! keep on the good work black francis!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  14:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got mine from Play.com yesterday. Thankfully, it's fine. Hope yours gets sorted.

I think I'll be watching the live show again and again. Though I get nervous when FRank swings his acoustic during 'In Heaven', like he's going to hit me. A very strange, yet wonderful, sight.

"Me and the chickens running in the street"
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  17:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's pretty good.

On The Road: rating: B. Very interesting, it was mostly a documentary on Kim. I liked Frank's hair getting progressively longer. Anyone notice how many things involved the band minus Frank? From reading his tour diaries, it seemed the Doolittle tour was a bit stressful on him and there might have been some animosity there. I wouldn't have minded it being feature length though, and with that video quality, there is enough room on the DVD for it.

Gouge: Well, considering half the documentary is from the live show on the same disc, it seemed often superfluous. Good doc, but I can't stand when people write retrospectively of the Pixies and write off hte final two studio albums. At the time, they weren't as well received, but if they interviewed anyone from the next generation of Pixies fans (the youngest person interviewed was probably 35), they could have discovered how much everyone loves these records. I watched it with someone who only has their first 3 albums, and clearly after hearing everyone slag off BOSS and TROMPE she probably isn't going to want to check out the rest. I'll give that a B as well.

Concert is a fun to watch, even though I'd already seen the whole thing pretty much from the Gouge doc.

I'm definitely looking forward to a second DVD release!
Go to Top of Page

idiot_sleep
- FB Fan -

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  21:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up my copy yesterday at BestBuy only to find out that there was no DVD in the case!! So had to return it and get one with a DVD in it :)

The live performance is freaking awesome. I love Kim's attitude, always having a smile on her face. David's drumming is outstanding. Charles screaming through out the show is awesome. I agree, watching Joey play the guitar just makes you have more respect for him as a guitarist. Love "I've Been Tired" and "In Heaven". This is my favrorite part of the DVD. I'm sick of reading about people complaining about the live performance. I can't get over how great they sound and the setlist is wonderful.

Gouge is so great. The only thing that could have made it better, is if Kim was in it. I love all the detail and stories from Bowie, Bono, and Charles, Joey, and David. I didn't like how they talked about Bossanova and TLM like they were crappy albums. I love how Joey said TLM's sound was rocking and he loved how it sounded.

Videos are really funny. My favorite is "Veloria" cause its so stupid. I love how Joey is in that video for 20 seconds! Also Joey is looking so funny in the "Alec Effiel" video. He has this goofy face in the video. Great stuff!

On the Road is really cool. Charles has some funny moments in this. As mentioned, the rock video in Salt Lake and pretending to shoot up in Chicago. I again I love Kim in this. She seems to have a great personality and its fun to watch her. I LOVE the clips at all the festivals and shows.

Overall I would give this DVD an A+++

The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
- Kramer
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  21:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beatnik

(see Frank with his mouth wide open for practically the entire Here Comes vid because he obviously didn't know when the "effects" camera was going to be on him).

actually, he and kim left their mouths open on purpose. most videos usually have people lip syncing to themselves and they went unconventional and just opened their mouths when their singing parts came instead of mouthing the words to be different......nice touch.
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  09:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That clip with David showing off the 12 year old's address is weird, was he joking? I remeber reading somewhere on the forum that he chats up young girls at gigs which is just creepy.

Kim was so cool though, i just love her even more now and in the Head On video she looked like a complete babe. I LOVE YOU KIM!

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  09:31:56  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Got mine from Play.com yesterday. Thankfully, it's fine. Hope yours gets sorted.

i too ordered mine from play.com - it arrived last saturday, which i thought was pretty neat.
and was in fine condition.

i also ordered the best of cd from them as well, but i'm still waiting for that...."temporarily out of stock" wtf!

still haven't had a chance to watch the on the road or gouge bits...damn flatties.

Go to Top of Page

Douglas
= Cult of Ray =

Sweden
308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  12:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idiot_sleep

Picked up my copy yesterday at BestBuy only to find out that there was no DVD in the case!! So had to return it and get one with a DVD in it :)

oh, "picked up" one did you? *wink* *wink*

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000