Unreleased Pixies Songs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  16:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if there are any other studio Pixies recordings that are yet to be released, officially. Like "boom chicka boom" maybe, or "watch what you're doing" maybe? I assume they would all be pre-1987 as well.. Would it be likely for any to be on Frank Black Francis, or will FBF have completely different material on it? Just curious..

(( I talk plain talk ))

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  16:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Black Francis demos are, I'm pretty sure, the demos recorded in gary Smith's front room, and are demos for the Purple Tape, so I don't think there's anything new. The two you've mentioned are the only ones which have never been officialy released in some form or the other.

"I joined the Cult Of Joey and Iggy/Cos they can hypnotise chickens"
Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  16:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, btw is FBF still slated for an April '04 release? It seems to have slipped off the radar..

(( I talk plain talk ))
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  17:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
watch what you're doing????, it's a Pixies song???...new for me if it's true...where i can get that's song??...maybe at ftp???

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  17:16:03  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought I heard that Frank Black Francis was pushed back to this summer. Also, wasn't Trompe Le Monde originally much longer, and supposed to be a double disc? I thought I heard something about many songs recorded for it were cut from the album and it turned out being a single disc. Same sources said many of the songs cut just wound up being rerecorded by Frank on his first two solo albums, including Surf Epic. I believe that when Frank was a keynote speaker last month one of the other people on some panel said he sat in on a Pixies rehearsal way back in the day and the Pixies were jamming to what would become Los Angeles. I also think there's a sound byte of the Pixies doing Brackish Boy floating around. I'm not sure about the accuracy or validity of my statements here. Can anybody back me up or shoot me down?

Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  18:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch Waht You're Doing is a song by Larry Norman, a Chrisitan folk singer, from his 1977 album. Its the song believed to be the secret 18th song alluded to by Gary Smith in a Rock A My Soul interview when he said "We did three days in a row, working twenty-four hours a day to save money. We recorded seventeen songs (eighteen if one counts the secret one I have stashed away!)"

-SoundOfAtaris

Some like wine and some like hops but what I really love is my scotch
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  07:49:05  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yesterday I was reading an old interview from the band published in May 1988, in which Black Francis said that they had recorded 18 songs at Fort Apache.

The Larry Norman song includes the words "Come on pilgrim, you know he loves you". For the story, on Alec Eiffel we originally wrote that the words were taken from a song by the late Larry Norman. We corrected it after his brother sent to us a nice e-mail saying that he was not dead yet.
Go to Top of Page

psychocandy
- FB Fan -

Peru
19 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  09:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard two rare songs of pixies in one strange demo copy titled diamond rouge. one of them sounds like an older rock theme, with harmonica (i donī't know how to say that, english in not my first language)like in dylan's themes, but very more agressive, obviusly. and the other one sounds, seems like winterlog-kind-of, with kim's lead voice.

eau
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  10:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whopee more Pixies stuff??? Bring it on!!!
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  10:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be Rough Diamonds??...i have this bootleg, you can found a lot of demos a b-sides but all of them are well know...

watch what you're doing.....i'm still thinking in that song....Have you ever guys listened it?

Chau!!

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  11:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

I thought I heard that Frank Black Francis was pushed back to this summer. Also, wasn't Trompe Le Monde originally much longer, and supposed to be a double disc? I thought I heard something about many songs recorded for it were cut from the album and it turned out being a single disc. Same sources said many of the songs cut just wound up being rerecorded by Frank on his first two solo albums, including Surf Epic. I believe that when Frank was a keynote speaker last month one of the other people on some panel said he sat in on a Pixies rehearsal way back in the day and the Pixies were jamming to what would become Los Angeles. I also think there's a sound byte of the Pixies doing Brackish Boy floating around. I'm not sure about the accuracy or validity of my statements here. Can anybody back me up or shoot me down?

I could well believe this. I have long assumed that Frank's first solo album had songs that were originally intended for the Pixies.

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  11:27:22  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The two songs psychocandy refers to must be Winterlong and Born In Chicago, both taken from non-4AD compilations. Born In Chicago is a cover from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

They are both on Rough Diamonds and The B-Side File 3rd edition.

Rough Diamonds also features a Hang To Your Ego cover, and other non officially released alternate versions of well-known Pixies songs.

Something that is quite little known is that the French promo CD called "Rare Pixies" features demo versions of Down To The Well and Rock A My Soul which are NOT those eventually released on "Pixies", together with the rest of the purple tape.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  12:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soon my friend.

Very soon!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  13:24:44  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Sorry to correct you but the order is: Liberty, Equality, Fraternity. Revolutions require a little bit of precision :)
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  14:32:53  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why not Equality, Liberty, Fraternity? Then the initials could be ELF.

Personally, I prefer Melody, Fidelity, and Quantity.

I've reached 1000 posts / So I'm too cool to be in a cult.
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  15:42:21  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It is true that Equality, Liberty, Fraternity would be closer to what were the real priorities during the French revolution, but you cannot rewrite history.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  17:26:10  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, I can't, can I? I think I can and will!

I've reached 1000 posts / So I'm too cool to be in a cult.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  21:06:12  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think we'd need to "storm" the 4AD vaults, per say, if we simply filled the place with knock out gas. Then when the air has cleared we could take our sweet time, thus avoiding the negative connotations of "storming" anything. Unless the intent is to storm for the sake of storming. If that's the case, let's roll like thunder baby!!!! Bring me that rare Trompe!!!

Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  22:19:27  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sigh.. the old "Petition: Lost Trompe Tapes" topic is locked/archived now. Come on, Dave or Dean or Jim, can't you resurrect it?
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=54
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  04:16:22  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brickisred

Yesterday I was reading an old interview from the band published in May 1988, in which Black Francis said that they had recorded 18 songs at Fort Apache.

In fact they recorded 17 songs:

01. Levitate Me
02. The Holiday Song
03. I've Been Tired
04. Break My Body
05. Down To The Well
06. Rock A My Soul
07. I'm Amazed
08. Build High
09. In Heaven
10. Caribou
11. Here Comes Your Man
12. Subbacultcha
13. Vamos
14. Broken Face
15. Nimrod's Son
16. Isla De Encanta
17. Ed Is Dead

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  07:39:02  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
legend has it they recorded 18 as said. the 'other' remaining track has never been released...

Vote Cult of Bumble and you may be allowed to join http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/busted/image.html?size=medium&busted_id=1602956&photo=RCK00079.JPG&startrow=73&maxrows=9
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
= Cult of Ray =

Sweden
308 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  08:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VoVat

Why not Equality, Liberty, Fraternity? Then the initials could be ELF.

Like in Pixies: mischevious little elf. see, it all connects!
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2004 :  11:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumblebeeboy2

the 'other' remaining track has never been released...
[/center]

From Gary Smiths evil clutches

"I joined the Cult of this guy / 'cause they took my other picture away
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  19:59:03  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My uncle's name is Gary Smith, and I frequently give him a hard time for not coughing up that song. He doesn't know what I'm talking about. Fool!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000