Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 2004-04-14 - Winnipeg, MB - TELL US ABOUT IT!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  07:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Realist

Not sure what show you were watching but it was absolutely terrible. Sure it's great to see the old gang back on the stage together but please note that there are more comments on this thread about Kim's stupid t-shirt than the quality of the show. This is because it was sad. It is quite obvious that the Pixies will no longer be a band again within a month. Kim was hammered and couldn't play or sing. She totally fucked up Gigantic and Into the White not to mention that she was off key on Debaser. Anyone who didn't notice this only has to pop in their DiscLive and listen to the proof. Sorry to break it to you hopefulls, but the Pixies are done. If you haven't seen them yet, I would get to a show quick because Frank can only take so much.

FYI - Winnipeg is the ugliest city in the world.

If this is your actual personality, you're pretty much a loser, going to concerts you don't care about. Geez, Realist, you must have NO life.

FYI - The Realist is the ugliest person in the world.

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

The Realist
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  08:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why can't you guys just admit its over? Probably for the same reasons you can't admit that your own life sucks and you are going no where.

Kromcrap - Into the White was the highlight? Its her own fucking song and she couldn't even play it either night. The reason they didn't play Planet and River was because Kim was too drunk. They walked out for La La and Frank got pissed because Kim sucks so they left early.

By the way, I don't go to shows that I hate. I went two nights to see one of the most important bands ever and found nothing more than a shadow of their former self - a fat-ass uncle Fester, a drunk clown, a trailer trash drummer, and a guitar player that has anxiety so bad he is scared of his own shadow.

Perhaps, you all are too young to remember but the Pixies use to be good.

See you all at the next Stones show.
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Winnipeg show was a big bomb. I'm surprised they even bothered to play the next night. I'm surprised poor Frank can tolerate this mess of unprofessional sloppiness. Kim Deal is a cancer that needs to be removed from the band before she destroys it. Perhaps we could buy her a comfy chair in which to sit on stage and memorize her vocal parts before they pop up during a song. We could get an "extra" bass player to play the right notes, and Kim could just focus on drinking and smoking in her chair, and singing when needed. David Lovering rushes too much. He added an extra beat during nearly every burst of speed-playing required for songs from COME ON PILGRIM and SURFER ROSA, though I admit these mistakes are nearly unnoticeable due to Kim Deal's constant wrong-note dragged out flubs of crap. Black Francis and Joey Santiago are model professionals. I feel sorry for their having to deal with their distracted rhythm section.

TO THE BAND: SET LIST SUGGESTIONS (besides the chair and the extra bass player) . . . (1) Don't play "In Heaven" again. It's not your song, and Kim's throaty stylings don't do the Lynch lyrics justice. I'd even prefer to hear "Allison." (2) Don't play "Into the White" anymore. Kim proved she didn't know the song two straight nights. (3) Don't play "Head On." You're not fooling us; we know you're only playing it 'cuz it's easy and it fills time. I'd rather hear you play "Cactus" a second time if that's your purpose. (4) I'll give you a pass on playing "Winterlong" in Winnipeg, but that's the only place you should be able to play that piece of crap. And, even there, I'm docking you points for using it as your opener. (5) Hey, guys and gal, do you remember your two best albums, BOSSANOVA and TROMPE LE MONDE? Well, we do, and we'd like to hear more of those songs from you on your little reunion tour. (6) Do you remember how the original "Gouge Away" was played in one key? Well, tell your bass player that before your next show.

This list is my no means complete, but it's a start. I feel like the Pixies just mailed in the first two shows, and it doesn't sound like things got much better last night for Kim Deal. Trouble may be on the horizon. Frank can only take so much.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Walker
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why can't you guys just admit its over? Probably for the same reasons you can't admit that your own life sucks and you are going no where.

Kromcrap - Into the White was the highlight? Its her own fucking song and she couldn't even play it either night. The reason they didn't play Planet and River was because Kim was too drunk. They walked out for La La and Frank got pissed because Kim sucks so they left early.

By the way, I don't go to shows that I hate. I went two nights to see one of the most important bands ever and found nothing more than a shadow of their former self - a fat-ass uncle Fester, a drunk clown, a trailer trash drummer, and a guitar player that has anxiety so bad he is scared of his own shadow.

Perhaps, you all are too young to remember but the Pixies use to be good.

See you all at the next Stones show.

Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion; I'll reserve mine until I've seen them at Brixton.

But your critique is somewhat undermined by the fact that you can't think of anything derogatory to say about FB and DL without mocking their appearance. Sorry sir, you sound like a right nasty piece of work.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Realist and others out there doing the same: If you can't post your opinion intellectually without being either intelligent, non-abrasive, or enflaming, you will be booted permanently. Those who are responding to his rather obvious and unfortunate trolling should please ignore it.

If you didn't like the show, that's great (well, it's too bad, but you're entitled to your opinion), but could you say it with some substance to back it up as opposed to needlessly deragtory remarks and inflammatory rhetoric?

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Cult of Frank referred to "others" in addition to the Realist, I'm assuming that he means Good Ol' Passion. I stand by my review, and if Cult of Frank wants to boot me off the board for posting a critical opinion of what I saw and heard live (and reconfirmed by listening to the discs), then I guess we're just one small step away from this becoming the ONLY SAY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE PIXIES REUNION SHOWS discussion forum.
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two more things: (1) I don't fully endorse the Realist's agenda, but I'm a big supporter of a little thing called freedom of speech. (2) If Cult of Frank takes issues with my picking on Kim Deal, then what would he have me do in a truthful review? Would he have me not use her name, but list off ad nauseam every mistake that "the band" made on the bass parts and the female vocal parts?
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by The Passion Of El Diablo

Don't play "Head On." You're not fooling us; we know you're only playing it 'cuz it's easy and it fills time.

...i would bet that it's not quite as easy as posting worthless bullshit on web sites though, my man. I swear to God, Selena being shot by her fan club president came to mind once or twice as I read some of these posts. Just remember, gang, you should like watching Mr. Belvedere, but you shouldn't have to masturbate at the end of every episode.

Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Bolero,
I hate to admit it, but you have a pretty good point.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  09:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Passion Of El Diablo

Since Cult of Frank referred to "others" in addition to the Realist, I'm assuming that he means Good Ol' Passion. I stand by my review, and if Cult of Frank wants to boot me off the board for posting a critical opinion of what I saw and heard live (and reconfirmed by listening to the discs), then I guess we're just one small step away from this becoming the ONLY SAY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE PIXIES REUNION SHOWS discussion forum.

Well, if you're doing an objective, truthful review, where are the good comments? You've said nothing good. I know for a fact there were more good things than bad. Or does the fact that you don't understand when Kim sings harmony, she's not singing the melody interfere with your ability to post a proper opinion?

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

winnipegwantsfrank
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Realist,

Kim didn't even write Into the White, so it's not exactly her song. Give her a break already
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RealCal,
Good things: Black Francis gave remarkable performances. His vocals are unbelievable, but I already knew that going in, 'cuz I saw him do Pixies songs with the Catholics numerous times. Joey Santiago is my new personal god. I've always wanted to watch him play, and I was not disappointed. I like his stage demeanor. And his parts are what make otherwise good songs become great songs. The reason my review focused on the shaky rhythm section is that I thought that was the key aspect of the show that should be pointed out in an objective review. If my review were one sentence it would be: "The Pixies played flawed but passable versions of many classic songs." If I got another sentence, it would be: "The band was exciting, though the rhythm section was a bit disjointed."
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:19:23  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
btw, Joey had plenty of fuckups at both Mpls & Winnipeg, fwiw. in fact he had the biggest one of the night at Minneapolis, but he laughed it off, just like every musician should.

Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
solace,
Quit being negative about one of the Pixies, or else Cult of Frank will lock you off the board.
Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:27:03  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nah, i gave him a reach around after the Winnipeg show, we're tight.

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dean said he was "going to get ice". I CANNOT keep up with the lingo anymore. No wonder your room was conspicuously two doors down from ours.....
Go to Top of Page

The Realist
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cult of Frank -

Why don't you just take your ball and go home. It is so sad that you have to jump in and "clean things up." Here's an idea: why don't you just post all the happy, tree hugging bullshit you want. You (being a net god) can just put whatever fake name you want next to it. This will give you and all your free speech hating friends plenty of happy, clean entertainment.

Besides, I'm sure FB would want it that way. He's a big free speech hater.

Why shouldn't I fucking hate Kim Deal? She's the reason Trompe is their last album, the reason they haven't been a band for twelve years, and the reason they won't be a band in twelve months.

Go to Top of Page

solace
= Cult of Ray =

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:35:18  Show Profile  Visit solace's Homepage  Reply with Quote
up north of the border that's what we like to refer to it as. whenever i'm on sabbatical in Mexico, i like to call it "squeezin' the lime" or sometimes "the great chili cookoff"

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I saw "and others" because I just got back from out of town and have neither the time nor patience to track down who started what/what's going on and am issuing a general warning. However, having now seen the LoganZ thread, you can rest assured it does apply to you.

Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Realist. Happy hour. Today. You in?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:50:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cult of Frank -

Why don't you just take your ball and go home. It is so sad that you have to jump in and "clean things up." Here's an idea: why don't you just post all the happy, tree hugging bullshit you want. You (being a net god) can just put whatever fake name you want next to it. This will give you and all your free speech hating friends plenty of happy, clean entertainment.

Besides, I'm sure FB would want it that way. He's a big free speech hater.

Why shouldn't I fucking hate Kim Deal? She's the reason Trompe is their last album, the reason they haven't been a band for twelve years, and the reason they won't be a band in twelve months.

a) I am home. 4500 posts should attest to that.

b) I don't really care what you believe is 'sad'. I think it's a little sad that you can't come here and behave like an adult. This is a grown up forum. But I can tell you don't care about that either. Yeah, I try to keep things civil and pleasant here, and you can either do that or not. If you choose not to, then find another forum. The guys at Pixiesmusic.com are much more lenient than we are here and you'll find a few fellow bannees to slag us with. But this is our place and if you don't like the rules, then I suggest following your own advice; take your ball and go home.

c) You can speak freely all you want, obviously. You did have that right here, you abused it. If you visit other boards, you'd have been booted already without a warning. Especially after your "fuck off" reply.

Now, as to what Frank wants, or likes, I presume that since he does come by here from time to time and our policies have been the same since well before you agreed to them in order to register, that he's OK with it. You trying to turn the garbage you post here into a free-speech issue is laughable.

I'd be much happier to not ban you and you trying to be civil, but the choice is yours as to which way you want to go.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 04/16/2004 10:52:09
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  10:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cult of Frank,
The LoganZ thread was just stating what even you yourself were probably thinking. Plus, it might be good for LoganZ to know, since apparently he doesn't.

Roomloo,
Why don't you invite me out for happy hour? Are we not friends?
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  11:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The invitation was implied. I like you better than the Realist, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

ShaunWestphal
- FB Fan -

221 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  11:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Passion, we're meeting at Mayslack's in NE Mpls tonight at 7:00 before softball. You in?
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  11:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ShaunWestphal,
Still following me around on the board, yeah? I'd love to join you in Nordeast, but my softball league is in Burnsville, and I have a policy of limiting my drunk driving to a six-mile radius.
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  11:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roomloo,
I would love to join you for happy hour, but I have this radius rule for my drunk driving, so I think I'm going to have to start my evening at the Richfield VFW.
Go to Top of Page

ShaunWestphal
- FB Fan -

221 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  11:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Passion, my drunk driving radius stretches over the 5 state region. Why don't I just come pick you up? That way I could watch your game too.
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  11:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ShaunWestphal,
The stock market closes at 3pm Canadian Central, so I'll be at the Richfield VFW as quick as I can drive there from downtown after the NYSE shuts down. I only care 'cuz if the Dow isn't up at least 0.50% today, then I might get transferred to my company's Winnipeg office. And I'm really sweating it out right now.
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  11:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

RealCal,
Good things: Black Francis gave remarkable performances. His vocals are unbelievable, but I already knew that going in, 'cuz I saw him do Pixies songs with the Catholics numerous times. Joey Santiago is my new personal god. I've always wanted to watch him play, and I was not disappointed. I like his stage demeanor. And his parts are what make otherwise good songs become great songs. The reason my review focused on the shaky rhythm section is that I thought that was the key aspect of the show that should be pointed out in an objective review. If my review were one sentence it would be: "The Pixies played flawed but passable versions of many classic songs." If I got another sentence, it would be: "The band was exciting, though the rhythm section was a bit disjointed."

I appreciate your objective review. I must say I agree with you about Joey. His stage presence was unique and refreshing.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  12:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, just wanted to say that it was nice to meet everyone. Jackanapes, roomloo, solace, porkbone & wife, qris, gunner, obijohn, mattb, etc, etc... well, all of you (and there were a LOT). My apologies if I was a little quiet to anyone, the flu was not paricularly nice to me until I gave it a good dosage of the Pixies later that evening, but everyone was very cool and friendly and it was great to meet 'ya.

Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  12:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cult, you going to make 5000 posts by Sunday :)
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  12:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cult,
It was nice to meet you, too.

Jicky Jack,
Quit making fun of Cult's obsessive posting.

Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  12:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Passion, how did we not meet?
Go to Top of Page

The Passion Of El Diablo
= Cult of Ray =

258 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  13:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in the first balcony experiencing nausea from watching a bandana-clad LoganZ flirt with Porkbone and Wife of Porkbone. I have no idea how you missed me.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  13:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hah, Sunday?! My aim is within the next few hours!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000