Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 2004-04-14 - Winnipeg, MB - TELL US ABOUT IT!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Interesting that Frank is using Marshall amps..

I was gonna ask if anyone knows anything about the rigs. Look at those pics - there are two little blonde amps with two rows of knobs sitting on single-speaker cabs...what are those?!?
Looks like Kim is playing a reissue Ampeg SVT and a p-bass...dig Frank on a stock Tele (Minneapolis) and the Joey on what look like Gibson 335's...
If anyone knows anything more, please post...

Edited by - KimStanleyRobinson on 04/15/2004 10:13:38
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine the blonde amps are for acoustic guitars. The only thing is, there are two, and one looks to be Joey's, yet I see no acoustic guitar of Joey's. Unless Frank and joey are sharing.

Join the Devil's Workshop / Looking for idle hands to work second shift
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah - that makes sense. Wonder what make they are?

Does the monitor setup freak you out?

I mean, if we set up like that, there'd be nothing but decibels of PA feedback.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, Joey might have an acoustic offstage, because Frank's telecaster is not visible so they might keep it off to the side for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to dig the rig via the Martini's info.

First hit
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2003/18_Jun---Joey_Santiago_Interview.asp

This is good: Guitargeeks for Joey:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/329/
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this is the acoustic amp?

SWR California Blonde Acoustic Combo

Edited by - ProverbialCereal on 04/15/2004 10:35:32
Go to Top of Page

obijohngordon
- FB Fan -

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy f#$@&ing S&%$@ that was a whirlwind of a day. It was so awesome to finally meet everyone.

I had a blast at the show. Opening with Winterlong was perfectly fitting and it never sounded better. Kim singing In Heaven gave me goose bumps. The combination of Debaser and Gouge Away was probably the most rocking combo of any concert I'ver ever seen. Yes, the band doesn't move around much or talk up the crowd and yes they neglected Bossanova and Trompe but they sounded tighter than I ever imagined. Frank's voice was growling as ever, Kim was as cute and heavenly sounding as ever, and David & Joey proved they are two of the most talented musicians you'll ever see.

And, of course, the overall experience will be one of my fondest memories. Can't wait to see Mattb's pics! Jackanapes, we're all freaks, it's part of the charm of being a true Pixies fan.

The CD is awesome!

> Check out my show! "Pop Infusion" Tuesdays, 4-5pm CST on 101.5 UMFM, Winnipeg or umfm.com <
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a dumb question, but ... where do the mic's get plugged into? Channel 2 or imput 2 of their Guitar amps? Is there a second amp for the vocals?
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know...I think we're going to have to wait for some FB.net member to TALK SHOP WITH JOEY AFTER A SHOW AND GET GUITAR RIG DETAILS!!!. :-)
Go to Top of Page

KimStanleyRobinson
* Dog in the Sand *

1972 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You nailed it Proverb. UROC.
Go to Top of Page

shawon
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is what I can add on the reunion tour gear thread (saw the Fine Line show). Joey is using a goldtop Les Paul on pretty much everything except the Come On Pilgrim stuff on which he was playing a Gibson ES-330. He also used it for Wave of Mutilation (UK surf). The pedals are a few Marshall footswitches and some Boss ones. He has the Marshall full stack and a Peavey. Frank has a natural finish Telecaster (not the same Japanese one he used back in the day) and a Takamine acoustic. He has two of the acoustic amps and two Marshall half stacks. Kim was using a red P-bass with an Ampeg SVT stack. She had the Music Man Stingray on stage but didn't use it.
Go to Top of Page

Spiral~Daisy
- FB Fan -

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Spiral~Daisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Realist

Not sure what show you were watching but it was absolutely terrible. Sure it's great to see the old gang back on the stage together but please note that there are more comments on this thread about Kim's stupid t-shirt than the quality of the show. This is because it was sad. It is quite obvious that the Pixies will no longer be a band again within a month. Kim was hammered and couldn't play or sing. She totally fucked up Gigantic and Into the White not to mention that she was off key on Debaser. Anyone who didn't notice this only has to pop in their DiscLive and listen to the proof. Sorry to break it to you hopefulls, but the Pixies are done. If you haven't seen them yet, I would get to a show quick because Frank can only take so much.

FYI - Winnipeg is the ugliest city in the world.

Well arent you just the chipper one.
Go to Top of Page

winnipegwantsfrank
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  11:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, the show was rocking HARD! The speed at which they were tearing through the songs was unreal, and from where I was standing (middle of 1st balcony) the sound was very bottom-heavy.

Highlights: 1)Joey doing the Vamos solo
2)Kim singing In Heaven (those of you who haven't seen the Pixies yet are in for a treat)
3)Frank screaming like it was 1988 (I didn't know he could still do that)
4)La La Love You, where everybody took turns saying, "I love you"
5)The songs that Minny didn't hear (Subbacultcha and Head On were great, Is She Weird sounded almost studio-quality)

After the show I met Joey as he was walking to the bus and he signed my DiscLive. Really nice guy. Frank would not sign mine however. He seemed kind of pissed, but I guess he's often like that.

Overall awesome night!
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  13:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

Maybe a dumb question, but ... where do the mic's get plugged into? Channel 2 or imput 2 of their Guitar amps? Is there a second amp for the vocals?

Mics don't go into amps. Mics go to PA through soundboard.

Edited by - anazgnos on 04/15/2004 13:40:16
Go to Top of Page

trakedungsten
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  13:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the winnipeg show.

pretty wild.

i stood 10 to 15 feet away Kim, watched her laugh and stumble her way through it. Her voice is heavenly live, and she looks completely adorable. She really must have been high or drunk, cause she screwed up a lot. She spent most of the night laughing to herself.

they opened with Winterlong... Blown Away and Head On were in there. they closed with La La Love You. no Caribou but we did get Cactus and Subbacultcha.

Kim sang a nice version In Heaven.

PS: I’m a moron…, and didn’t buy the disc. I’m really kicking myself for not buying it. So if any Winnipeggers want to burn me a copy for blanks or something….email me at dankap2001@yahoo.ca

Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  13:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For future Pixie-concert goers:
Per David Lovering, they will not be playing Motorway to Roswell or The Happening. I had to ask him.

My highlights (in no particular order):
Winterlong (in general)
-Joey on "Vamos"
-Tame (in general)
-Frank playing the guitar run on "Is She Weird" chorus while he's singing
-On "Here Comes Your Man", Frank turns and nods to David, Frank does the last two high chorus parts, and finishes up the song.

In general, I just tried to savor every moment.

I am a man with 3 fingers...but that doesn't count my index finger nor my thumb.
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  14:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the pic on the front page of the Winnipeg Free Press today.

http://ca.geocities.com/kpgordon17/
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  14:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's insane! Front Page.
Go to Top of Page

ShaunWestphal
- FB Fan -

221 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  15:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure what show you were watching but it was absolutely terrible. Sure it's great to see the old gang back on the stage together but please note that there are more comments on this thread about Kim's stupid t-shirt than the quality of the show. This is because it was sad. It is quite obvious that the Pixies will no longer be a band again within a month. Kim was hammered and couldn't play or sing. She totally fucked up Gigantic and Into the White not to mention that she was off key on Debaser. Anyone who didn't notice this only has to pop in their DiscLive and listen to the proof. Sorry to break it to you hopefulls, but the Pixies are done. If you haven't seen them yet, I would get to a show quick because Frank can only take so much.

FYI - Winnipeg is the ugliest city in the world.

WOW Realist, probably the first time I've agreed with you. Can anyone comment on Winnipeg as a whole? We walked a ten block radius around the venue and found the entire area to be a fucking dump. 2 out of 3 buildings are empty. Everything closes at 6 o'clock (save Ken's Chinese Restaurant). We saw some guy pissing on a street corner, cock and balls in full view in complete daylight??!! I have an answer for anyone who asked the question, "why is the first show gonna be in Mpls?" Because Winnipeg is a shithole. If downtown Minneapolis looked like that I would move. As far as the venue, another dump. Did anyone try to use the bathroom? It was disgusting. The sinks had a bar of soap and a stray roll of paper towls sitting on the windowsill. The sound was horrible. The first half of the show all we could hear was Joey's guitar, the second half all we could hear was muffled noise. The last time I checked, sound guys were payed to change obvious sound problems like one instrument being twice as loud as the rest of the band combined. Those were the least of my worries though considering Kim's drunken performance. If I remember right, didn't she write Gigantic? You'd think she'd know how to play it. Why they tried (and failed) Into the White both nights is beyond me. It sounded like she had never even heard the song. Listen to the intro to Gouge Away on your CD and tell me she didn't completely fuck it up, she plays it in about three different keys. I give it about a month before Frank cracks and calls the whole thing off.

Edited by - ShaunWestphal on 04/15/2004 16:42:15
Go to Top of Page

morgan
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  15:27:14  Show Profile  Visit morgan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Perhaps this is the acoustic amp?

SWR California Blonde Acoustic Combo

I've seen him use that California Blonde many times at Catholic shows. This pic was from 4/16/2002 FB&C at Nita's Hideaway in Tempe, AZ
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  15:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the Realist and Shaun,

Make some friends, they're great!
Go to Top of Page

The Realist
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  15:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacka -

Son, I've now seen where you live and feel really bad for you. No wonder you always call me a douche as douche is on the mind in Canada because the ugly girls all need it after their dads take them to the hole.

Long live incest - Canada's only national pastime.
Go to Top of Page

The Realist
- FB Fan -

67 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  15:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY FUCKING GEAR-HEADS! Why don't you stop creaming your pants over amps and deal with the fact that the Pixies are done. Write your subtext if you must but I'd do what Jacka would do - go bang my little sister in the alley.

Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  15:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've obviously resigned myself to the fact that you're not into friends. Enjoy the rest of your *ahem* life.
Go to Top of Page

morgan
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  16:00:03  Show Profile  Visit morgan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

HEY FUCKING GEAR-HEADS! Why don't you stop creaming your pants over amps and deal with the fact that the Pixies are done. Write your subtext if you must but I'd do what Jacka would do - go bang my little sister in the alley.

Jacka banged your little sister? Is she a California Blonde, too?
Go to Top of Page

jackanapes
- FB Fan -

237 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  16:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZING!
Go to Top of Page

ShaunWestphal
- FB Fan -

221 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  16:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jackanapes

To the Realist and Shaun,

Make some friends, they're great!

Realist, I think we just got served.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  17:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Realist still cracks me up.

Okay, just got home, I'll at least have pictures later, not sure if I want to add to the discourse or not. I'm sure everything has been covered already. Great meeting all of you, though.

Also took a couple fresh little movies -- I'll post links if I can figure out a way to allay fears of having all my bandwidth sucked up.
Go to Top of Page

roomloo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  17:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures --

http://pictures.loomer.org/pixieswinnipeg/

That shows you the thumbnails, make sure you click them to get big huge ass pictures (well, not really that big).

Edited by - roomloo on 04/15/2004 17:34:21
Go to Top of Page

smendrzy
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  19:32:56  Show Profile  Visit smendrzy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got back from the 8-or-so hour road trip from Winnipeg back to Minneapolis. The highlights for me were hearing Kim sing In Heaven, hearing Frank sing and scream like I thought he no longer could, Joey playing his Vamos solo w/a drumstick, and the relentless speed thru the songs Smthg Against You to Tame (it gave me goosebumps listening to it).
Other things: Joey and David were walking around the main floor around 7:30pm, when I got there... only I didn't recognize them -- especially David with his hair! Also, I wouldn't be so harsh on Kim's mistakes. She tripped over her cord at the very beginning of Gigantic For anyone with the cd, thats the pause you hear in the opening bass solo.
Go to Top of Page

smendrzy
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  20:00:16  Show Profile  Visit smendrzy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there gunner,
Thanks for organizing the guest list for the Kings Head Pub. We had a great time there after the show. Sorry I didn't get to meet you!
btw, we talked to the bartender before the place closed and he said business was amazing that night!
thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  20:44:21  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great pictures Roomloo. I took a few from the balcony that I'll post later. I think a couple people were videotaping the show, anyone notice that?

Excellent show.. it was really surreal to see the four of them playing together. My highlights were Winterlong, Nimrod's Son, Vamos, Tame, Where is my mind?, In Heaven, among others.

Good meeting you guys last night (chrischoboter, mattb, jackanapes, roomloo, wendi, loganz, gunner, zero, and everyone else). I couldn't stay for too long at the King's Head so I missed some of you.

GT's.

The CDs are really good quality.. quite impressed with them.

Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  21:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Into The White was a real highlight. Agreed about Gigantic though - They were playing it at about 50% speed for some reason and Kim still looked like she was having trouble keeping up. It was fun to watch, though

BTW before the show I saw some mixing instructions on the sound board, and I swear I saw Planet of Sound *and* River Euphrates on there. So, I think they have been practicing these songs even if they didnt play them last night.
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  21:40:25  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I just got back home to Toronto about 30 minutes ago. Man, that was an awesome few days. It was amazing meeting everyone and as most of you saw I was taking massive amounts of pictures at the King's Head (probably annoying everyone) of most of the fb.net members which I will get developed tomorrow and post up. It was extra cool because I got along with everyone I met and to be honest I thought at least half the people would turn out to be losers. Jackanapes, thanks again for the ride down with Graham to Minneapolis. Porkbone thanks to you and Irene for the ride back. We missed you guys today because we woke up fairly late, hope your ride back was good. Everyone who bought me beer thanks as well (there are too many of you to name!).

-----------------------
http://www.geocities.com/kittridge1/
Go to Top of Page

porkbone1
= Cult of Ray =

USA
390 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  21:46:40  Show Profile  Visit porkbone1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is very late and I have much to say... I have to work like 27 hours tomorrow, so sometime this week I will get on here and post my humble opinions... all I can say is that the 1000 miles of driving in 2 days was well worth it. SLEEP!!

The joke has come upon me
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000